Menu

Alternative to pasta?

Spaghetti squash is yummy (I love squash!) but it won't 'taste like spaghetti' ~ it'll taste like a yummy squash dish. :D

I don't really buy into all the "low carb" stuff, so I'd probably just stick with the real thing if I wanted "spaghetti" ... you can get whole wheat spaghetti if you wanted something healthier.

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wuh) isn't low carb but it does have more protein than most grains. I like to cook it with about half the water normally used and add in meat and a jar of spaghetti sauce or salsa.

Ideas

-quinoa with chicken or ground beef, salsa, and black beans

-quinoa with ground beef and spaghetti sauce

-add veggies or other beans to the above combos as "inert filler"

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wuh) isn't low carb but it does have more protein than most grains. I like to cook it with about half the water normally used and add in meat and a jar of spaghetti sauce or salsa.

Ideas

-quinoa with chicken or ground beef, salsa, and black beans

-quinoa with ground beef and spaghetti sauce

-add veggies or other beans to the above combos as "inert filler"

There you go!

I think Dreamfields brand tastes just like regular pasta, at least once I've put the sauce on. Maybe you can taste something I don't, though. I don't really remember how low in carbs it is, but it does have more fiber (and a lower glycemic index) than regular pasta.

Zucchini, onion and whatever you like (red pepper is good too), sauteed in olive oil. Add spaghetti sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese. Put under the broiler to brown the cheese. Also adding some mild Italian sausage is good in it.

:iagree: and spaghetti squash is so delicious! We prefer it. It can be expensive though so we buy it by the case from a local produce store for a huge discount. It is less than 6% carbs! We also have this for making zuch. noodles which goes great with pesto and cooked or raw spaghetti sauce.

Edited by JENinOR

:iagree: and spaghetti squash is so delicious! We prefer it. It can be expensive though so we buy it by the case from a local produce store for a huge discount. It is less than 6% carbs! We also have this for making zuch. noodles which goes great with pesto and cooked or raw spaghetti sauce.

I have one of these too, and my kids love it! Now I just have to wait until summer's zuch. harvest...