Menu

8.8 magnitude earthquake hit Japan...

:confused:

At least that's the report right now.

Do we have an wtm'ers in Japan? I hope everyone is ok.

That is a HUGE quake.

My BIL is in a Tokyo airport right now. He was just about to board when the earthquake hit. He was posting on Facebook 20 min. ago. I hope he is still ok.... :sad:

We have a Japanese exchange student. She was Skyping her boyfriend when the earthquake hit. She said things were falling off the shelves and they were very frightened.

We are watching the news right now.

She says her mother and grandmother and her boyfriend's family are safe, but her brother was at school and they haven't heard from him yet.

We are praying for our Japanese friends and their families.

Cat

Still no word from him...:001_unsure:

:grouphug:

We still haven't heard anything but we probably won't for days. 70,000 people are still in shelters just in Sendai alone according to one website, so getting a hold of people is not easy. We also know that while we are terribly concerned, we are not on their priority list right now as they try to figure out basic survival. I do not have any family there any more but we know 100's of people because my dad founded 1 seminary and 3 churches right in Sendai, with many of the people still close to us.

:grouphug:

We still haven't heard anything but we probably won't for days. 70,000 people are still in shelters just in Sendai alone according to one website, so getting a hold of people is not easy. We also know that while we are terribly concerned, we are not on their priority list right now as they try to figure out basic survival. I do not have any family there any more but we know 100's of people because my dad founded 1 seminary and 3 churches right in Sendai, with many of the people still close to us.

I haven't watched hardly any of the news coverage. I can't bear it. It's just heartbreaking. And then to be worrying about whether or not he's okay is just sort of...sickening. He's so close to the east coast, about midway between Tokyo and the epicenter. Ugh...

:grouphug: to you, too.

My cousin is okay! He was able to use a land line to call his parents this morning. He's in an area with no power, and all of the cell coverage is out. He could only talk for a couple of minutes, but at least we know he's okay. Things sound absolutely heartbreaking there.

My cousin is okay! He was able to use a land line to call his parents this morning. He's in an area with no power, and all of the cell coverage is out. He could only talk for a couple of minutes, but at least we know he's okay. Things sound absolutely heartbreaking there.

Oh I'm so glad you got word from your cousin and that he's okay. :grouphug: It is just surreal what is happening there. This catastrophe is just awful beyond words. :crying:

Oh I'm so glad you got word from your cousin and that he's okay. :grouphug: It is just surreal what is happening there. This catastrophe is just awful beyond words. :crying:

Thank you! He's actually doing better now. He was able to Skype with his parents tonight, and his electricity is back on, but they are planning to do "rolling blackouts" for awhile to share the electricity through larger areas. His water is working again, too, but it's not suitable for drinking, so he can only drink bottled for now. It's going to take him a long time to put his apartment back together, though.

The stores in his area are scheduled to get some basic supplies in the next couple of days, though they won't have anything fresh.

He says he loves Japan and plans to stay.:)