Menu

Confession, I have avoided science experiments and art instruction (completely)

I hate the mess and bother. I love the read and study part. I hate practical application.

BUT I am going to remedy that this spring and summer. I will make science and art a spring/summer subject. I have already set my sight on Noeo science and now need an art program.

I HATE teaching art but I am going to bear up. I need something that will suite my 12 yo and 8 yo. Thankfully, because I never did it, they will both be beginners (as is mom). So one program will do.

I am prepping my back porch for the mess. What are your recommendations? I need art in a box program. If I have to go here and there to fetch supplies or download materials or whatnot, it will never happen. I would like technique instruction, not art appreciation.

TIA

Not much advice from this quarter, but I think clearing a separate space in your house is a great idea. This is especially true since it is hard for you. Compartmentalizing it will likely help you be more successful

My meager advice :) : Start with drawing for art. We like Mark Kistler's Draw Squad and Drawing with Children. The drawing part could be integrated in with science at times. You could also just offer all kinds of supplies in both areas and have your "art time" or "science time" as a warm-up to the day's studies.

Oh, how I sympathize with you! :D

I cannot help with practical advices as I am in the same boat as you (outsourced art for the child that wanted it, the other one is doing the standard lycee Art History only, and DH is in charge of all practical science), but I wanted to chime in and say I sympathize. I hate mess and my idea of enjoying art is seeing it rather than doing it. I also faked nearly all of our science experiments homeworks at school by figuring out theory very well and inventing what "happened". :lol: I totally get the desire to be purely theoretical and/or speculative. There are more of us in that same boat. Hang in there - and congratulations and good luck on trying to step out of that comfort zone. I still haven't done it. :)

I outsource lab science, and somewhat outsource Art. DD has a lab science class every week, and goes to a co-op that includes visual arts, theater, and music (rotating between, not all three each week). She loves drawing, crafts, and stuff like that, so I have how to draw books around and a lot of media for her to play with, but I admit that I don't even try to teach it.

I do a decent job with textbook science and with art history-I love music history, and I put art with that, but when it comes to the hands-on stuff, I let someone else do it.

I figure in another couple years I should find a formal drawing/art class for her, but the mom/artist who does visual art for our co-op says that she recommends against anything too formal for little kids who love to create and are bubbling over with ideas anyway, because being told HOW to do something tends to stifle that-and, as she says, DD has a lot of time to develop formal skills.

I feel like I'm in the same boat with you on the art. DD loves science & so do I, so we typically have that covered, but neither of us are very much artistically inclined. It does feel like a hassle. I bought R&S Artpac 1 for 1st grade this year & it's sat on the shelf. We've tried maybe 3 or 4 of the activities. DD isn't very interested.

We bought a keyboard at Christmas & decided to do keyboarding or "piano" for "fine arts" and that's been going well alternatively. If there's some magically fun art curriculum out there, I'd love to hear about it. We have construction paper, markers, etc. that just lays around. DD is much more interested in building with legos or wooden blocks than sitting down & coloring or cutting & gluing anything. Perhaps I should just be content with where we are.

I also outsource formal art instruction and about half of our lab science. DD loves both subjects and it's just a bit much for me. I am great about keeping lots of art supplies available, but actually overseeing projects is not my thing. She has a great class on African art this spring, and I get both kids to art workshops at a museum several times each year. Science is just so popular with my dc that it makes more sense to do a limited amount at home and put them in co-op and museum classes for the rest. In an ironic twist, I am teaching science classes for three different age groups at our co-op this term -- but that's not in my house!

What about something like Atelier? It's pricey but the instruction is all done for you. All I've read about it says you get the (easy to find) supplies together, bring them out and turn on the DVD and art actually gets done- without mom!- now that has just *got* to be worth the cost. :tongue_smilie:

My daughter took over her art instruction and now has the "Drawing for Children" book in her room. I taught a few lessons from it, now she just reads on her own and draws.

Both my children also self-teach from various "how to draw _____" books they get from the library.

I do hope to sign my daughter up for a few art classes eventually. I tried one in the LA area, it turned out to just be a few projects with no actual instruction. The good part was that they cleaned up the mess.

I can barely draw a stick figure, they get their artistic abilities from the other side (and it mostly skipped dad, so he's not much help, although he is better than me.)

I tried. Really I did. :tongue_smilie: But honestly, my ds hates art...never even liked to color or paint as a young child. And he dislikes science experiments as well. I had him doing them all the time then one day (actually about 3 weeks ago) he said, "Mom, do I HAVE to do the experiment? I mean, I get it already. I get what they are trying to show me. Can we just move on?"

And, well, it was February and I was tired and cranky so I agreed. :blushing:

I'll do better next year. I promise. ;)

I highly recommend Meet the Masters for art. It includes art appreciation as well as projects teaching techniques. This is our second year with it and I love it. It's all scripted and spelled out easily. You will have to get the art supplies, but I just take the list they supply to Hobby Lobby and buy them all at one time.

That looks really neat! Thanks for posting.

I outsourced. I love art but hated teaching it. Ds hated doing it. Dd absolutely loved it and is a brilliant nature watercolourist- she went to classes for years- but she didn't especially like me telling her what to paint or draw, from a curriculum, so there was always resistance.

Science- I was rotten at the hands on stuff too. We did some. Eventually I outsourced that too- with a highschool science teacher run co-op, for 2 years. He was great at all the experiments and hands on stuff.

They were definitely weak areas for me- but neither kid seems to have suffered long term for it.