Menu

Husband lost his job last week

But I'm very lucky.

His job pays well, so we've built up savings since this last happened; the redundancy payout is good; we have the National Health Service; the boys' school fees are already paid; I get to spend more time with my husband; the garden's going to look great this summer with all the time we'll have to work on it; we have travel insurance, so will get the money back that we have already paid out for a holiday in France. Very lucky, when I hear some of the stories here and elsewhere.

, lyrics here.

Laura

I'm sorry you're facing such a hardship, but I also have a feeling you'll be travelling soon ! You're not the type to be tied down in one place if that place doesn't work out.

China beckons? Maybe?

:grouphug:

The boys are settled in school and Calvin is heading for university-entrance exams. We hope that, at the worst, husband might have to do a weekly commute.

Laura

:grouphug: I'm sorry. You have a great attitude about it, though. :001_smile: I think that really helps.

But I do know the worry you must be feeling and just that whole feeling of the unknown, and what the future will bring...which can be exciting as well as stressful. I hope this will bring about a change for the better.

Hang in there! Enjoy the extra time with DH. That is what I treasured from my DH's "time off". He got to know the children in a way that he just never was able to before that...and it was priceless.

My family just went through this. We were surprised it took him 14 months before finding a new one. He was over qualified and more extensive experience with international clients than what the openings wanted but he stayed positive and maintained his connections.

We had to sell a large sailboat that was especially important to my husband and older son. We moved into a house my husband's grandfather had built and left for him. This house had numerous projects needing done which kept my husband busy but also a big yard with a big hill that the boys enjoyed and came with a black raspberry bush. We also built raised gardens that my boys had longed for (they love to graze in the herbs). They researched the plans together and constructed it.

We took a six week long trip in the western U.S. visiting national parks and camping to keep the costs down. My husband even had some interviews by phone and in person on the trip (we had a Hot Spot and kept Internet connection). We knew we wouldn't have this amount of time as a family when he would start working again. He enjoyed his extra time with the boys--they like to hike, rock climb, and go on long bicycling/camping trips. He is also an adventurous cook and we enjoyed spending time in the kitchen and having brunch and dinner parties with close supportive friends. Even with employment taking longer than we anticipated we were able to live on our savings, continue with homeschooling, and not touch our retirement funds. The past year was tough to go through but we also know it was valuable time together that we wouldn't have chosen to take otherwise.

You sound like you have a strong positive perspective on things. I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Does this affect his visa? (I thought you have said in the past that he's a US citizen). Praying that he finds something soon.

When we lived in the UK around the time of Calvin's birth he applied for naturalisation based on legal residency and marriage to me. It definitely makes our lives easier. I'm the only one in the family without dual citizenship.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

My family just went through this. We were surprised it took him 14 months before finding a new one. He was over qualified and more extensive experience with international clients than what the openings wanted but he stayed positive and maintained his connections.

We had to sell a large sailboat that was especially important to my husband and older son. We moved into a house my husband's grandfather had built and left for him. This house had numerous projects needing done which kept my husband busy but also a big yard with a big hill that the boys enjoyed and came with a black raspberry bush. We also built raised gardens that my boys had longed for (they love to graze in the herbs). They researched the plans together and constructed it.

We took a six week long trip in the western U.S. visiting national parks and camping to keep the costs down. My husband even had some interviews by phone and in person on the trip (we had a Hot Spot and kept Internet connection). We knew we wouldn't have this amount of time as a family when he would start working again. He enjoyed his extra time with the boys--they like to hike, rock climb, and go on long bicycling/camping trips. He is also an adventurous cook and we enjoyed spending time in the kitchen and having brunch and dinner parties with close supportive friends. Even with employment taking longer than we anticipated we were able to live on our savings, continue with homeschooling, and not touch our retirement funds. The past year was tough to go through but we also know it was valuable time together that we wouldn't have chosen to take otherwise.

I hope we make as good a use of the opportunity.

Laura

You're very chipper about it, Laura (the Brit in you!), but I'm sure this is hard. And he had such a good job, and moved back to the West for it! I'm sure this is all very disappointing. I bet you have lots of company right now in Britain, though, if it makes you feel better. I'm glad you have the NHS; so many Americans lose their health care when they lose their jobs. I hope the redundancy payments last a long time, too.

This could really happen to any of us, I think. :grouphug:

This morning, as Calvin and I came back by train from Glasgow where we had seen Derek Jacobi in Lear, I had my arm around C, snuggled up as he re-read Gaudy Night and I gazed at the sunshine. Husband had called me with the glowing reports from Hobbes' parent conference at school last night. We have a lot going for us.

Husband is 54; his age is a worry in this job search. But I'm investigating updating my own skills and looking for more work too. We'll get there.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin