Menu

Why is it the little things?

I can take the big things just fine apparently. Dh has a wreck, $ problems, etc.

But then something tiny sends me into a tailspin, & I end up drawing a line in the sand over buying ramen noodles or where I'm going to park at my own house.

I can laugh about the big things, because what else can I do? But then something little comes along, something stupid, & I'm shaking. But you have to be good & nice still, because the only thing worse than the little things...

is having to apologize later if you lose it over the little things. Especially if you're still steamed. Especially if you know you're being unreasonable.

the only thing worse than the little things...

is having to apologize later if you lose it over the little things. Especially if you're still steamed. Especially if you know you're being unreasonable.

Ugh... had to do that today... I handle the big things so well that people often comment on how they don't understand why the big things don't make me fall apart. What they don't see are the little things that put me over the edge. I so understand, and sympathize.

Maybe because we KNOW we can't control the big things, so we can take them in stride.

But we are pretty sure we CAN control the little things. So when they go haywire, we've lost our precarious sense of control.

"I can't help it that my dh got in a car accident, but BY GUM I can park that car where I want to!!!"

Maybe because we KNOW we can't control the big things, so we can take them in stride.

But we are pretty sure we CAN control the little things. So when they go haywire, we've lost our precarious sense of control.

"I can't help it that my dh got in a car accident, but BY GUM I can park that car where I want to!!!"

You may be on to something here. I often get so worked up at "the little things", even when there isn't anything "big" going on. :confused:

Aubrey, I hear you, girl. Even down to the shaking and having to apologize part!

Yup. I think it happens to all of us. Just ask my poor husband about the Pink Paperclip Incident of 2008... :001_rolleyes:

THAT sounds interesting! :D

I want to know about the Pink Paperclip Incident of 2008. Will you tell us?!

Did you ever have those times when you feel like you have nothing to yourself? The box of pink paperclips was MINE. I'll share everything else, but I purposely bought a box of the girliest paperclips I could find so nobody else would use them.

Then I saw one holding my husband's work receipts.

That year, we'd handled all sorts of difficulties, from deaths in the family to major illness to car wrecks, with relatively good humor. But then.

He used my paperclips. Did I mention they were MY paperclips?

And did you know that when you chuck a cardboard box of paperclips at the wall with enough force the box breaks and 250 (well, 249, as he used one of MY paperclips) paperclips sail through the air in a scatter pattern that would confound the most experienced CSI team? Almost three years later, I still occasionally find a pink paperclip lurking in the corner of the carpet.

Not my finest moment.

I think Garga's on to something. I think we know we cannot control the big things so what else is there to do but grasp frantically at all the small, insignificant things we may be able to have some influence over. It gives us the feeling that things are not completely and altogether out of control. I'm pretty sure it's still delusional though.:D

Maybe, too, we feel somewhat responsible for the little things since we can control them to a certain extent. Like losing the car keys. I go frantic when I can't find my keys. I know that I should put them in the basket by the front door as soon as I walk in the house, but I seldom do. It's really my fault. So some of my irritation is with myself at not being able to maintain the smallest bit of order in my life. Just rambling here. You probably already noticed that.

Did you ever have those times when you feel like you have nothing to yourself? The box of pink paperclips was MINE. I'll share everything else, but I purposely bought a box of the girliest paperclips I could find so nobody else would use them.

That year, we'd handled all sorts of difficulties, from deaths in the family to major illness to car wrecks, with relatively good humor. But then.

And did you know that when you chuck a cardboard box of paperclips at the wall with enough force the box breaks and 250 (well, 249, as he used one of MY paperclips) paperclips sail through the air in a scatter pattern that would confound the most experienced CSI team? Almost three years later, I still occasionally find a pink paperclip lurking in the corner of the carpet.

Not my finest moment.

Yes, but I bet you laugh everytime you find a paperclip.

Because we can't have a hissy fit when we are dealing with the big things and you know, sometimes, you just need to have a hissy fit. ;)

YES!!! What wonderful insight! Sometimes I do just need to have a hissy fit! Had one yesterday over the world's dumbest thing... can't even remember what but I know I had a bit of a fit!

Not my finest moment.

:lol::lol::lol::glare::grouphug:

That totally made made day. I think my over-the-top, irrational-to-others-but-completely-rational-to-me fits (over, say, a single empty wine bottle left on the counter rather than put in the recycling bin when the entire rest of the house already looks like World War Z recently came through it *ahem*) will now forever be known as "pink paperclip moments." Thank you for sharing your story with us.

(Also, is it wrong that I now desperately want a box of pink paperclips?)

I think you are on to something here.

My family looks at me like I have four heads when I explode on them when they leave wet towels on the bathroom floor, but when the power goes out for a full day I am fine. Or I am going nuts when Dh messes up his schedule and I can't have a car to run my normal errands, but when we get snowed or iced in and I can't run errands I am fine.

One is controllable... the other is not.

Not my finest moment.

Oh yes!!!!! BTDT a few times myself.

Not my finest moment.

:lol::lol: This. Is. So. Me.

I have had many pink paperclip moments. Just random little things that send me into a hissy.

But then DH comes home one day saying he was laid off....no problem. It's all good. :confused:

Yeh, I am definitely better with the big things.