Menu

S/O from Claw Foot Tub Poll: Standard Size Tub w/Shower-With or W/out Whirlpool Jets

Whirlpool Jets in Tub? (Yes, there is a shower either way)  

1. 1. Whirlpool Jets in Tub? (Yes, there is a shower either way)

• Whirlpool Jets -- YES! A real + in a 60 year old house - never would expect to find this!
    • No -- nice novelty, we wouldn't use it, not even for the kids, not a + for me.
    • Other (Please explain)

You have all been extremely helpful - thank you all so much -- your opinions and viewpoints helped me tremendously.

So, this is where I am now: please vote. And if you have a reason why you voted one way or the other, I would love to read it here.

I have decided that a standard size tub with a shower (typical shower over tub) is the way we are going to go. Just a reeminder here that the bathroom that is going to be re-done 'this week' is extremely small so there was no hope of a tub and separate stall shower. Our house is 60 years old - no one thought of those things for the most part 60 years ago.

So: I stalked the aisles at Home Depot and Lowe's this afternoon -- looking at everything that I will be needing to make decisions about in the next couple of weeks.

Tell me which you would prefer ( pleasetake the poll) and if you have a specific reason why, let me know. I know which I think is the 'smarter' choice, BUT, I also know which choice is like icing on the cake to a potential buyer.

Standard Size tub (with shower) with whirlpool jets :confused: OR

Standard Size tub (with shower) - no jets :confused: OR OTHER?

Edited by MariannNOVA

I really think this is more about whether or not you love baths.

:lol:

I said yes, because dh and I really do enjoy a soak and jets... wowza!

All the same, non-bath people probably couldn't care less.

Why don't you just give us your house :lol: We would appreciate it ;)

I really think this is more about whether or not you love baths.

:lol:

I said yes, because dh and I really do enjoy a soak and jets... wowza!

All the same, non-bath people probably couldn't care less.

Why don't you just give us your house :lol: We would appreciate it ;)

That's interesting -- every once in awhile, I LOVE to soak. DH - NEVER!

We looked at new construction about a year ago and the builder had put a beautiful shower in the master bathroom but NO soaking tub. DH thought it was a fabulous idea, I gave the house a thumbs down b/c of it. I hadn't thought of that till now when I read your post. Thanks:)

That's interesting -- every once in awhile, I LOVE to soak. DH - NEVER!

We looked at new construction about a year ago and the builder had put a beautiful shower in the master bathroom but NO soaking tub. DH thought it was a fabulous idea, I gave the house a thumbs down b/c of it. I hadn't thought of that till now when I read your post. Thanks:)

I'm not sure if baths are going out of style or what :lol:

I know a lot of people still enjoy them, after all the market is still strong (meaning there's still a TON of stuff geared towards bath time).

I am a bath person. A jetted tub would be a negative for me. I liked the novelty of using jetted tubs when we could afford getaways at bed and breakfasts. I have absolutely no desire to have to one at home. I prefer the quiet of a soaking tub. I also think jetted tubs are harder to clean, especially when the tub is also serving as the shower base.

Being military we rent our houses instead of buying (we've never lived anywhere long enough to warrant buying) and in each of the last 3 they've had the "garden tub with jets" in the master bath. I hate the darn things. I have a bad back and I have yet to find one I can sit in comfortably for a soak. I'm not sure if it has to do with my spinal fusion or what but the slope is always all wrong for me. Because they are deeper they also tend to be shorter, which means I have to make a choice, either lay on the uncomfortable angle with my knees or feet sticking out or sit up fully with my feet in but my bOOks are then not under the water and that's just weird for me.

It's like I saw on Grey's Anatomy the other week, Derek was asking Meredith about something for the house building, and she was about to speak and he said something like "yes I know, you just want a tub that covers both your knees and your bOOks" well he didn't say bOOks, but you get the idea.

So my vote if for a tub with no jets, but maybe one big enough to actually soak in if your an average size person without having numerous limbs or other parts having to hang out because it's not deep or long enough.

I voted for the standard tub. I like the look of big soaking tubs with whirlpools in the master bath but not in the hallway bath.

But I see what you mean about having "icing on the cake" for a potential buyer.

If the cost difference is not that much (I know nothing of these things), then I say go for it, but if its a huge chunk of change difference then I'm not sure that would be the best place for the "icing".

I am a bath person. A jetted tub would be a negative for me. I liked the novelty of using jetted tubs when we could afford getaways at bed and breakfasts. I have absolutely no desire to have to one at home. I prefer the quiet of a soaking tub. I also think jetted tubs are harder to clean, especially when the tub is also serving as the shower base.

Same here. I love baths, but I hated the jetted tub in my previous house. I never used the jets, so their sole purpose was to give me something else to clean. And do they ever get gunky.

I agree with the last two. We've had one and it wasn't used regularly. They were a real pain to clean! And because we didn't use it much when we did want to this scum would come out and dirty up a large tub full of water! It was a bad idea.

We both don't enjoy bathing, so it wasn't used much.

On the other hand my mom is older, loves her baths and has one that she LOVES. She says it soothes away her aches.

We have them in our tub but we don't use them. I take a lot of baths, but I watched a show one time that explained how dirty those jets get and I cannot bring myself to turn them on anymore. Just a breeding ground for yucky stuff. We will eventually remodel our master bath and I will not be putting in a jetted tub.

I'd rather have a hottub outside! :D

I voted other. If there was a way to fit in a slightly larger than standard size tub with the jets, I would pick that. I'm tall and love baths, but a bath in a standard size tub just isn't comfortable for me. We had a clawfoot tub (no jets) at our last house and I still miss it. Only a standard size tub here...and it's in the kids' bathroom. :(

I voted no, because this is for a kids' bathroom, right? They are a pain to keep clean if you don't use them regularly. Mix bubble bath, jets and kids and you could get some really ugly results. I would say yes to jets in the master, but no to jets in the kids' bathroom.

True bath lover here, but I voted no to the jets. I had them in the other house and HATED them. To me, they're just a breeding ground for bacteria and mold - - and I'm a clean freak. When we bought this house, the sellers apologized for the lack of jets in the master tub (deep, garden tub). I was thrilled there were none.

I voted for the jets...

I am NOT a bath person... I rarely take a bath, but the jets... I'd make some time for a therapeutic bath with JETS:lol:

Honestly, a jetted tub isn't that big a deal to sanitize... my MIL has to do it after every person who stays at their cottages. You just clean the tub, fill the tub over the jets, add the sanitizer and run for 10 min. or so, drain and rinse. I get a lot more grossed out over my dad's blender.

Edited by LisaK in VA