Menu

A couple of ? about taking your baby on an airplane

I am flying to see family next month and taking my 1 month old. He will be 2 1/2 months when we fly. The airline website says the following:

Note:

Devices that tie the child to another person are prohibited for taxi, takeoff, and landing, and backless booster seats are not approved for use during any phase of flight regardless of any approval labels they bear.

I am assuming that means baby carriers like a baby bjorn? Why is that? I would think it would be better to have the baby attached to you. Does anyone know if this is what they mean by that?

Also he is formula fed, am I allowed to take formula on the plane with me or is that against the rules now? I would just need to take the powder for the formula and I would buy a water bottle?

Thanks!

did you buy a seat for him? its more money, but way more peace... we put dds in car seats when they were that age, and it made it all so much easier.

(i flew from germany to canada when dd #1 was 6 weeks old, did not buy a seat for her, and it was, hmmmm.... simply dreadful. from then on, we bought a seat for each child. much, much better for all of us...)

call the airline and ask about formula. worst possible case, you can take the powder in its original container and add water (going through security with unidentified white powder is one of those things we choose not to do....).

it will be great! (and if not, it will be a great story : )

ann

did you buy a seat for him? its more money, but way more peace... we put dds in car seats when they were that age, and it made it all so much easier.

(i flew from germany to canada when dd #1 was 6 weeks old, did not buy a seat for her, and it was, hmmmm.... simply dreadful. from then on, we bought a seat for each child. much, much better for all of us...)

call the airline and ask about formula. worst possible case, you can take the powder in its original container and add water (going through security with unidentified white powder is one of those things we choose not to do....).

it will be great! (and if not, it will be a great story : )

ann

I did not buy him a seat. Money is tight right now and I am just happy to be going! The first flight is 40 minutes then I have a 1 1/2 layover. The second flight is 2 hours. I am hoping it will work. :tongue_smilie: The bummer about the formula is that I get it from Sams and the container is huge!! So I may have to buy a different formula just for the flights.

Thanks for your response!

My DD flew several times when her 4 yr old was an infant. She had made herself a sling and she just tucked him into that when the plane landed and took off. I guess the rules might have changed in 4 years, but I would call and ask about formula and what kind of "sling" would be allowed.

I've held my children in my lap each time I've flown - the airline provided lap belts. There was one time we took a carseat on board, but my child was older, and in retrospect it didn't seem worth the hassle of hauling it all over the airport.

There's a product for flying with children, FAA approved - I think it is called the CARES flight harness. I have no experience with that, just wanted to mention it.

If you were flying internationally, I recommend requesting a baby bassinet. I'd call the airline and ask if there were any options they can recommend for families with babies.

It should be all right to carry as much formula as you need, liquid or powder. The link below from TSA has details:

TSA Rules for Formula

Hope you have a pleasant journey - we've flown internationally with dc, and neither airlines nor airport staff/security gave us trouble. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

I've held my children in my lap each time I've flown - the airline provided lap belts. There was one time we took a carseat on board, but my child was older, and in retrospect it didn't seem worth the hassle of hauling it all over the airport.

There's a product for flying with children, FAA approved - I think it is called the CARES flight harness. I have no experience with that, just wanted to mention it.

If you were flying internationally, I recommend requesting a baby bassinet. I'd call the airline and ask if there were any options they can recommend for families with babies.

It should be all right to carry as much formula as you need, liquid or powder. The link below from TSA has details:

TSA Rules for Formula

Hope you have a pleasant journey - we've flown internationally with dc, and neither airlines nor airport staff/security gave us trouble. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

Thanks for the link. I looked at it and that eases my mind. My plan was to carry small amounts of formula to make bottles. I put the amount I need for each bottle in a little plastic container. I hope they don't give me a hard time about it as it won't have any identifying material. I read on the site you linked that they only want you to bring what you think you'll use while flying.

I am concerned because I only have the snap and go stroller. It holds his car seat that snaps into the stroller frame. Do you know if I will be able to check that at the plane? I know i would be able to check a regular stroller and it would be allowed but this is technically 2 things but the car seat straps into the frame. This is what mine looks like.

I am assuming that means baby carriers like a baby bjorn? Why is that? I would think it would be better to have the baby attached to you. Does anyone know if this is what they mean by that?

Thanks!

It does mean baby carriers, of all types - front packs, back packs, ring slings, pouches, wraps, et cetera - and is an industry standard. (If interested, you can find the FAA rules in F.A.R. 121.311. It covers the use of child restraint systems - including baby carriers - during taxi, takeoff, and landing and then leaves it up to individual airlines to establish their own rules for cruising.)

In the unlikely event of an emergency (most likely to occur during taxi, takeoff, landing) having a baby strapped to you could prove more dangerous to you and/or the infant. According to the FAA. Based on investigations of prior incidents. At best, you're exit is impeded by trying to navigate chaotic aisles with an additional front load (and gosh, if wearing something with tails or long straps, the potential to get caught while trying to quickly evacuate is quite likely given how many people I see getting caught with their jackets or scarves during an uneventual, simple deplaning). At worst, the attitude of the airplane becomes such that gravity forces your weight to crush a baby in a carrier; the thought being that in the same situation, you have easier ability to manuveur the child away from the force of your weight if said child isn't constrained to a carrier.

Most likely your flights will be uneventful, yet the FARs and airline legal teams plan for a worse-case scenario. I wore my babies inflight, and it's easy enough to slip off a carrier for taxi, takeoff, and landing even if baby is sleeping or nursing (then slip it back on for cruising altitude or deplaning without disturbing the baby). Certain styles of carriers are easier than others, but I managed to successfully comply with the FAR using a ring sling, wrap, and mei tei. I never used a Bjorn so I'm no help there.

Honestly, IME very few flight attendants say anything at all.

Have a great trip! You can buy water on the secure side, or simply ask the flight attendants for water inflight (no guarantees, though, it'll be bottled water). Check the TSA website for the most current information, but IIRC it's acceptable to bring water through security when you're traveling with an infant and have formula.

I am concerned because I only have the snap and go stroller. It holds his car seat that snaps into the stroller frame. Do you know if I will be able to check that at the plane? I know i would be able to check a regular stroller and it would be allowed but this is technically 2 things but the car seat straps into the frame. This is what mine looks like.

Yes, you can gate check this (both pieces). They won't count against your baggage allowance, nor will you be charged for either item.

It does mean baby carriers, of all types - front packs, back packs, ring slings, pouches, wraps, et cetera - and is an industry standard. (If interested, you can find the FAA rules in F.A.R. 121.311. It covers the use of child restraint systems - including baby carriers - during taxi, takeoff, and landing and then leaves it up to individual airlines to establish their own rules for cruising.)

In the unlikely event of an emergency (most likely to occur during taxi, takeoff, landing) having a baby strapped to you could prove more dangerous to you and/or the infant. According to the FAA. Based on investigations of prior incidents. At best, you're exit is impeded by trying to navigate chaotic aisles with an additional front load (and gosh, if wearing something with tails or long straps, the potential to get caught while trying to quickly evacuate is quite likely given how many people I see getting caught with their jackets or scarves during an uneventual, simple deplaning). At worst, the attitude of the airplane becomes such that gravity forces your weight to crush a baby in a carrier; the thought being that in the same situation, you have easier ability to manuveur the child away from the force of your weight if said child isn't constrained to a carrier.

Most likely your flights will be uneventful, yet the FARs and airline legal teams plan for a worse-case scenario. I wore my babies inflight, and it's easy enough to slip off a carrier for taxi, takeoff, and landing even if baby is sleeping or nursing (then slip it back on for cruising altitude or deplaning without disturbing the baby). Certain styles of carriers are easier than others, but I managed to successfully comply with the FAR using a ring sling, wrap, and mei tei. I never used a Bjorn so I'm no help there.

Honestly, IME very few flight attendants say anything at all.

Have a great trip! You can buy water on the secure side, or simply ask the flight attendants for water inflight (no guarantees, though, it'll be bottled water). Check the TSA website for the most current information, but IIRC it's acceptable to bring water through security when you're traveling with an infant and have formula.

Thanks for the info! I figured I would buy water after getting through security, glad you confirmed it.

ANOTHER ? I have is, it is saying i need to bring his birth cert. to prove that he is less then 2. :001_huh: I don't have it yet and he will be 2 months, surely they will realize and let me get on...?

ANOTHER ? I have is, it is saying i need to bring his birth cert. to prove that he is less then 2. :001_huh: I don't have it yet and he will be 2 months, surely they will realize and let me get on...?

You would hope they recognize he's under 2 :lol: I do think that the rule is usually applied to children who may be close to two years old, and the airline just wants to confirm it if the agent feels like he/she needs to.

However! I was denied access into a foreign country (after a 13 hour flight with a 13 month old :glare:) because I didn't have a birth certificate with me to prove the child was actually mine. Which - whatever, I could have easily gotten a fake one, right?!? - but still. Rules be rules, sigh. They wanted a birth certificate with his name and mine listed to "prove" I wasn't kidnapping him. I'd hope you wouldn't run into this problem flying domestically but if anyone else is reading this thread maybe they'll take note. If you're able to get one in time for the trip, it might be a good habit to just always pack a copy and keep it in your diaper bag.

You would hope they recognize he's under 2 :lol: I do think that the rule is usually applied to children who may be close to two years old, and the airline just wants to confirm it if the agent feels like he/she needs to.

However! I was denied access into a foreign country (after a 13 hour flight with a 13 month old :glare:) because I didn't have a birth certificate with me to prove the child was actually mine. Which - whatever, I could have easily gotten a fake one, right?!? - but still. Rules be rules, sigh. They wanted a birth certificate with his name and mine listed to "prove" I wasn't kidnapping him. I'd hope you wouldn't run into this problem flying domestically but if anyone else is reading this thread maybe they'll take note. If you're able to get one in time for the trip, it might be a good habit to just always pack a copy and keep it in your diaper bag.

Oh my goodness! What did you have to do?? I will try to get his birth cert before we go. I hope I can just so I don't have to deal with it if they try to hassle me.

As PP noted, you'll have to take the babe out of the carrier during taxi, takeoff and landing and hold the babe in your arms ... but if you're using a bjorn with the baby facing towards you, it should be pretty easy to transition between using the carrier & your arms. When I've flown with a baby, most of the time the flight attendants have told me I need to take the baby out, but I've never been unable or greatly inconvenienced to comply (I've used a Bjorn, soft structured carrier, and a MT).

Even though you didn't buy a ticket for a seat for your baby, you might see if there are any empty seats available on the plane that the airline would let you have one for your baby (may require some other passenger to move so that your two seats are together) ... especially for the longer segment of your travel plans. It can be argued that it's safer for the baby to be in the car seat at altitude.

As for the birth certificate, you most likely won't be asked for it if you are traveling domestically.

Hope your travel goes smoothly!

Thanks for the link. I looked at it and that eases my mind. My plan was to carry small amounts of formula to make bottles. I put the amount I need for each bottle in a little plastic container. I hope they don't give me a hard time about it as it won't have any identifying material. I read on the site you linked that they only want you to bring what you think you'll use while flying.

I think you'll be all right. At the screening, I just kept our food in one bag, ready for them to check, and only once they asked to examine it. BTW, would it help you to have a formula dispenser (one of those containers with plastic divisions)? Like this one, just seems like having individual containers for each would be cumbersome.

Sorry, I don't know about the stroller, but I've seen huge strollers gate-checked so I can't imagine it would be an issue.

I just want to confirm what others have already said.

You can bring formula on with no real restrictions. Bring extra in case you get stuck somewhere overnight (during your layover). You don't want to run out of food for the baby and not have anywhere to buy some. In fact we got stuck overnight just last month during our layover due to "mechanical problems" and it was late enough that all the stores were closed in the airport.

You can check your carseat and snap n go at the gate. That way you can use them in the airport all the way until you get on the plane. If you would rather check them with luggage you can do that and then put the baby in a carrier for the rest of the airport. They shouldn't count against your luggage amount in either case.

When you go through security you will have to take the baby out of the carrier or out of the stroller and have the carrier or stroller put through the xray machine. It's a pain if you are by yourself. They will also want to examine your formula, so have it in a big ziploc or otherwise easy to take our of your bag.

The flights are short enough the baby young enough that the flights should be just fine. You might want to give the baby something to suck on during takeoff and once you are up high to help with ear pressure. Other passengers will most likely be nice you and give you as much space as possible.

You'll be fine!

Oh my goodness! What did you have to do?? I will try to get his birth cert before we go. I hope I can just so I don't have to deal with it if they try to hassle me.

I had to do a lot of crying. They said my husband could fax a copy OR a signed permission slip stating he was aware I was bringing his/our child into the country, but he was deployed and unreachable. And of course, I got upset on principle. I showed them my full POA, my military ID, my airline ID and it wasn't enough. I'm a flight attendant and flew into and out of this country (Canada) twice weekly, which my passport reflected. I guess there had been some recent kidnappings, though, and it's not like they could ask a one year old, 'Is this your mommy?' ...

... they finally cooperated with the local airline representatives who verified that I had registered (with the airline) a child of that gender, name, and birth date way before this trip. I had a passport for him, I just stupidly didn't bring it since we were just going to Canada (from America). I also stupidly didn't bring his birth certificate. I know there are kidnappings and parental abductions, so in hindsight I can appreciate their hesitation but in the moment I was a mess. My child looks like the father, completely caucasian; I'm not, and am often mistaken for a nanny or anyone other than the child's mother.

Do you have a link to the source requesting the birth certificate?

I've flown with dc to Sweden and Singapore, and was never asked for one. That's the first I've heard of it.

I don't. I think this was a situation unlike your own because it was exo-USA into Canada. If it were anywhere other than Canada or Mexico, I'd have had the child's passport and it wouldn't have been an issue. The Canadian side said that in the future - if I was travelling alone with the child - I needed to bring a notarized letter signed by the father stating that I had his permission to bring our child into the country. I don't know if that was a rule or a guideline or a "here's a get out of jail free card next time you try to enter" but I took heed of their advice.

We travel between the States and Canada 3-4 times a year, and I always bring their birth certificates and a stupid notarized letter from their dad. (I'm still upset on principle LOL.) We travel to Asia 2-3 times a year and to Europe 1-2 times a year, and I've never had an issue bringing the kids into any other country, without their dad or a permission slip from him. I still get stopped in Canada, and have in every province except for Sask. I try to always fly into Sask. ... they're a gentler, kinder Canadian :tongue_smilie:.

Yeah, sure, if you have those nice kind of babies who don't think that car seats were invented solely to torture babies.

Both mine screamed all the way home from the hospital. And they only got LOUDER. :-)

I won't fly in the winter with a baby less than one. One scary bout of pneumonia from the airplane was enough. I'm usually not a germophobe, but another infection from a winter flight killed my grandmother.

I'm a flight attendant and flew into and out of this country (Canada) twice weekly, which my passport reflected. I

Yeah it seems to be a Canadian thing. About 8 years ago I flew to Canada from Australia with my 10 yo sister. I had to bring her birth certificate and a letter from my mother saying I had permission to bring her into the country. They still acted very disbelieving (her last name is different to mine) however they finally said it was ok because she was old enough to be questioned and she told them we were sisters and that she was not being kidnapped and in their words "she didn't look afraid of me and seemed to know me" :glare: I've flown other places and never had a problem with it either.

I would bring your baby's birth certificate for proof of age. It isn't just for kids nearing age two - some airline check-in people really are clueless. I remember watching a very distressed mother who was trying to get on a flight with her 12 month old (very obvious to me she was nowhere near 2) and the airline would not let her on the plane without proof she wasn't two. I mean the baby wasn't even walking yet. I don't know what happened as I left to catch my plane but I certainly hoped they called a manager or someone with eyes in their head. The person who was checking her in was very young so probably had no idea about what a 2 yo looked like :glare: (well I'll give them the benefit of the doubt anyway).

The last thing you need is unexpected trouble when trying to get on a flight - bring whatever you think you might need - just in case.

You fasten that loop around the baby's waist. I don't think that a baby carrier would stand up to the forces involved in an airline emergency.

If you have a seat for your baby, you can strap him/her into an approved baby seat for takeoff and landing.

Laura

Do you have a link to the source requesting the birth certificate?

I've flown with dc to Sweden and Singapore, and was never asked for one. That's the first I've heard of it.

Heres this from their website.

Does my infant need a boarding pass?

If you choose to purchase a seat so that your infant may travel in his/her CRS you will need to obtain a boarding pass for the infant. If you purchase an Infant Fare, you may use online checkin if your infant has been age verified. If your infant has not been age verified, you will not be able to use online checkin, unless you purchase a fare that that does not have age restrictions. See below for more information on the age verification process.

If you choose to travel with your infant on your lap (at no additional charge) the infant will not need a boarding pass; however, you will need to obtain a Boarding Verification Document (BVD) for the infant. The BVD will allow the infant to board the aircraft. BVDs are available at the Southwest Airlines ticket counter on the day of travel. In order to complete your BVD, the Customer Service Agent will need to verify that your infant has not reached his/her second birthday, so be sure to bring along a copy of your infant's birth certificate.

Does Southwest offer infant fares?

Southwest Airlines offers very affordable Infant fares for children under two years of age that allow you to reserve a seat for your little traveler to fly safely in his/her approved CRS. Infant fares are not available for purchase on southwest.com. Please contact a Customer Representative at 1 (800) 435-9792 for more information.

Southwest Airlines Infant Fares have no restrictions, are fully refundable, and are offered on every Southwest Airlines flight (although seats are limited).

Although not recommended, if your child is under the age of two and you would prefer to hold him or her on your lap when traveling, you may do so on Southwest Airlines without charge and we'll be glad to check your CRS for use at your destination. FAA regulations require any child who has reached his/her second birthday to occupy his/her own seat. Please keep in mind that Southwest personnel must ensure compliance with this regulation, so be sure to bring along a copy of your infant's birth certificate for age verification.

I think you'll be all right. At the screening, I just kept our food in one bag, ready for them to check, and only once they asked to examine it. BTW, would it help you to have a formula dispenser (one of those containers with plastic divisions)? Like this one, just seems like having individual containers for each would be cumbersome.

Sorry, I don't know about the stroller, but I've seen huge strollers gate-checked so I can't imagine it would be an issue.

Thanks for the link! I will have to gt some of these.

I had to do a lot of crying. They said my husband could fax a copy OR a signed permission slip stating he was aware I was bringing his/our child into the country, but he was deployed and unreachable. And of course, I got upset on principle. I showed them my full POA, my military ID, my airline ID and it wasn't enough. I'm a flight attendant and flew into and out of this country (Canada) twice weekly, which my passport reflected. I guess there had been some recent kidnappings, though, and it's not like they could ask a one year old, 'Is this your mommy?' ...

... they finally cooperated with the local airline representatives who verified that I had registered (with the airline) a child of that gender, name, and birth date way before this trip. I had a passport for him, I just stupidly didn't bring it since we were just going to Canada (from America). I also stupidly didn't bring his birth certificate. I know there are kidnappings and parental abductions, so in hindsight I can appreciate their hesitation but in the moment I was a mess. My child looks like the father, completely caucasian; I'm not, and am often mistaken for a nanny or anyone other than the child's mother.

Oh my goodness thats awful! Glad they finally let you through. :001_smile:

You fasten that loop around the baby's waist. I don't think that a baby carrier would stand up to the forces involved in an airline emergency.

If you have a seat for your baby, you can strap him/her into an approved baby seat for takeoff and landing.

Laura

Thanks everyone for all your helpful information! I appreciate it as I am a little anxious over flying anyway and on top of it with a baby and all the rules.

This has nothing to do with flying with an infant, but you mentioned your baby is formula-fed. While you're away from home try to fix his formula with distilled water when you can. The water is just different enough in different places to affect a baby's digestive system. This advice was given to me when we traveled with ds1 after we encountered some "issues." Switched to distilled and they cleared up quickly.

You may already know this, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case. Traveling with an infant is challenging enough without extra distractions. ;)

When you get to the gate, ask if the plane is full. Often if the flight has empty seats, they'll let you use your carseat on the plane if you want to. Otherwise, plan to gate check it (that's the term for turning those things over at the jetway).

For a 2 month old, you shouldn't NEED a birth certificate. I flew with my 6 month old (on Southwest, after 9/11) and had it with me, but the agent at baggage check in told me she could tell by looking at him that he was under 2. I think it's more of an issue when they're close to the cut-off. It's definitely good to have with you, just for the piece of mind, but you shouldn't need it. If you're really concerned, call the airline and double check.

Also, if you're not attached to bottled water for YOU, you can bring an empty water bottle thru security and then fill it up at a water fountain (and sometimes the fast food places that have soda dispensers out in the seating area, rather than behind the counter, will let you fill a water bottle there). I often do that when I'm traveling with my kids.

Oh! And Southwest will let you pre-board (ahead of regular passengers. Wheelchair and others needing assistance go first, then children flying alone, then families with young children).

This has nothing to do with flying with an infant, but you mentioned your baby is formula-fed. While you're away from home try to fix his formula with distilled water when you can. The water is just different enough in different places to affect a baby's digestive system. This advice was given to me when we traveled with ds1 after we encountered some "issues." Switched to distilled and they cleared up quickly.

You may already know this, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case. Traveling with an infant is challenging enough without extra distractions. ;)

Ahhhhh Good to know! I hadn't thought about this. Thanks!

When you get to the gate, ask if the plane is full. Often if the flight has empty seats, they'll let you use your carseat on the plane if you want to. Otherwise, plan to gate check it (that's the term for turning those things over at the jetway).

For a 2 month old, you shouldn't NEED a birth certificate. I flew with my 6 month old (on Southwest, after 9/11) and had it with me, but the agent at baggage check in told me she could tell by looking at him that he was under 2. I think it's more of an issue when they're close to the cut-off. It's definitely good to have with you, just for the piece of mind, but you shouldn't need it. If you're really concerned, call the airline and double check.

Also, if you're not attached to bottled water for YOU, you can bring an empty water bottle thru security and then fill it up at a water fountain (and sometimes the fast food places that have soda dispensers out in the seating area, rather than behind the counter, will let you fill a water bottle there). I often do that when I'm traveling with my kids.

Oh! And Southwest will let you pre-board (ahead of regular passengers. Wheelchair and others needing assistance go first, then children flying alone, then families with young children).

I thought Southwest used to let people with children board first but n longer do? Also good to know! That eases my mind some. Good idea on the water!

I fly Southwest every 3-4 months, first with one little one and now with two! They have asked to see the birth certificates every time. When you check-in they make up a piece of paper that looks like a boarding pass that has the child's name and staples it to your boarding pass. You just need a copy of the birth certificate....it doesn't have to be the original or even notorized.

With Southwest, you want to check-in electronically exactly 24 hours before your flight takes off. There is no assigned seating and you board in the order that you checked in. They allow the "A" group to go first, then they will let families board, then they board the "B" group and the "C" group.

Personally, I fly with as little stuff with me as possible- on one end, dh carries my suitcases to the check-in and then my parents pick us up and help with suitcases on the other end. I only take a diaper bag and baby carrier with me in the airport. I don't want the hassle of dragging a stroller/car seat through the airport. I find it much easier to have my baby in a carrier. Although, if you need your car seat when you get to your destination it would make a lot of sense to take it with you through the airport. They will let you take it all the way until you are walking onto the plane and then they'll check it for you. It will be waiting when you get off. There are always a couple strollers waiting there, so it's not an uncommon thing at all.

They definitely will not let you leave the baby in a carrier during takeoff/landing.

Try not to worry too much.....I've flown alone with my kids many times and the worst problem I ever had was a blowout diaper that got all over my shirt!

Good luck!

This may be repeat info, but for the two hour flight at least, I'd suggest that you request bulkhead seating. They should have a bassinet which will lock onto the wall in front of your seat. A very nice feature. :) Take off and landing, just hold them and if possible have them feeding which will allow a release of the build up of air pressure in their ears.

I flew with a 8 month old last year, bottles also. I filled one of those plastic premeasure formula dispenser things with the powdered formula and filled six bottles with water and packed it all into my carry on. I had to open all the bottles and have them put strips into it to check if it was safe. Then when it was feeding time I could just dump the premeasured formula into the bottle. I am sooo glad I bought it. believe me it's not easy to do the bottle thing in a crowded plane with a baby in your arms.

I also asked for a cup of hot water at a starbucks and put the bottle into that to warm it.

Try to time the feeding time with take off or have something ready so he can swallow and release the ear pressure. don't forget to change diaper during your lay over so you hapefully don't have to during the flight.

I gate checked a stroller and was glad for a place to put him during layover, but with a two month old this might be debatable.

Good luck. It's not for the faint hearted.

1. Others have said this, but it bears repeating. With Southwest, check in EXACTLY 24 hours in advance. Set an alarm for 24 hours and 2 minutes ahead of time, get the screen loaded with your confirmation number and name and then hit return as soon as it's exactly 24 hours ahead. You may have to hit back and do it again if it's still a bit too early. Just keep trying until it works. You want to do this because you want to be in the A group.

2. At the airport, ask the gate agent if you the flight is totally full or if there might be an extra seat that you could use for your baby's carseat. If there's an empty seat, they'll almost always let you have it. If they have one, then take the carseat on the plane and strap it into the window seat next to you. You'll have to sit in a middle seat if there's an empty seat for her because the carseat has to be in the window position.

3. Bulkhead can be nice, but there's no place to put your stuff that you can reach from your seat. There's no seat in front of you, so there's no under-seat storage there. EVERYTHING has to go in the overhead bins. This can be a real pain when traveling with small kids. I found it easier to not have the bulkhead and have easier access to the stuff I needed.

4. Don't worry about the birth certificate. Southwest employees are really almost universally very friendly. They require it to confirm that your child is under two. They will not hassle you if you don't have it for a 2.5 month old because that child is clearly under two. It's much more of an issue with kids from age 1-2 when it's less easy to be sure of the age. If you can get it, that's great because it's good to have in general, but if you can't, it will be fine. Really, it will.

5. The flight will probably be fine, but if it's hard (baby crying the whole way), just remember that while it's hard on the other passengers, it's harder on you. Also, remember, you'll never see those people again in your life, so do the best you can for your daughter and let everything else roll off your back.

Laura

I've never seen this or been given this (the loop that goes around the baby and slides through the adult's seat belt) while traveling in the U.S. or on a U.S. carrier.

I have been given one when flying internationally on European carriers.

Don't worry about purchasing water post security. You are allowed to bring whatever you need with you (including as much liquid as necessary) as long as you use these magic words: "It's for the baby." I've even had TSA officials ask me to say the magic words before. :lol:

Most of the time they do not specifically say that parents with young children may pre-board, but I've never seen any parent turned away when they tried to get on the plane early. Remember not to overpack, especially if you are travelling alone. The seats are small and the below the seat area for your bag is small too; it's very difficult to access bottles if you can barely get to your bag. Do bring a blanket as these are rarely found on flights anymore and it can get quite cold. Be prepared to do diaper changes in very cramped spaces.

Flying with tiny ones is generally quite easy...once they are about a year old then it becomes very difficult....until they turn about 2.

I've never seen this or been given this (the loop that goes around the baby and slides through the adult's seat belt) while traveling in the U.S. or on a U.S. carrier.

I have been given one when flying internationally on European carriers.

I've flown with little ones through the US (Texas to California, etc.) and I don't remember not having the extra loop. Maybe I had bought a seat and therefore had the baby in its car seat.

Laura