Menu

I Just Finished Reading "Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire" and

I couldn't be more depressed. I know that sounds awful, but it's true. I thought I could provide a much better education for my dc by home schooling, but Rafe makes his 5th grade class sound pretty amazing!

All the extra time he spends with the kids (early mornings, lunch time, after school and week-ends!) WOW is all I can say. As the year is winding down for us, I am exhausted and we didn't do a quarter of the big projects/field trips, etc.. that he accomplished.

I can't imagine having the energy and patience to do all the incredible things he does with those kids! I mean, 30 kids in Washington, DC?! It's a good day if I manage 2 kids in Wal-Mart!! I don't know what to say, other than I picked the book up hoping it would provide an inspirational "lift" to conclude the school year on; but instead I'm feeling lower than dirt.

Just remember, he's not cooking for those kids, wiping those kids' rear ends, and keeping his house clean at the same time! ;)

It sounds like a fun book to read, but place it in context. Learn what you can from it, but don't let it defeat you.

I found it inspirational because of the possibilities he represents, not so much comparing myself to him. If you read his other book, "There are no Shortcuts", you'll see the sacrifices he's made in his own personal life and sometimes professional to do what he is doing. He has to do extraordinary things to accomplish what we do at home, and do not doubt that what you are doing (your sacrifices) will yield wonderful results. Remember what type of homes his students come from and then look around at your safe, secure and loving home. There's no comparison.

Just wanted to agree w/ Jessica and nestof3. They aren't his kids. He isn't with them 24/7 nor does he do half of the other things you do for your own kids. Jessica is 100% correct in that you need to look at that population, too. DC is rough. Believe me, my dh works in ed. reform and is frequently in DC schools. Not pretty. This teacher is amazing, yes. But think of this: he must accomplish amazing things w/ these kids b/c of their typical home life. Certainly NOT as rich and loving (in most cases) as yours! You are doing a fine job. Please try not to compare! Making a note to take my own advice here.. :D I fall into the trap of comparing myself to others on this very board until I realize we can only do what we can do! Don't be discouraged...be encouraged!

Guest Shanna
Just remember, he's not cooking for those kids, wiping those kids' rear ends, and keeping his house clean at the same time!

:iagree:

Really, though, he has had years, maybe even decades, to hone his craft. I am teaching one child, and I have learned from him. I'm glad to have had a chance to take some of the good that he has offered and make use of it quickly in my own homeschool. Also, it is useful to me to have his books as a benchmark for what can be done, whether or not I choose to do it all.

I would say that his books helped me to step out and start a literature group for 5-7th graders this year. I used his idea of starting with the film "The Wizard of Oz" to teach literary elements to them, and I don't know that I would have taught them "To Kill A Mockingbird" if he had not been so eloquent about what that book meant to him.

I have done more Shakespeare with DD because of him, and have introduced his funny methods of teaching test taking.

Other than that, really, he is not a guy that I would be friends with; he sounds awfully arrogant, in that "I'm really full of myself and will now demonstrate false humility in order to get you to compliment me," way, which is my least favorite form of arrogance. But I tremendously respect his dedication and the difference that he has made for his students. I have no doubt that he is a superior teacher to me. I will not let my intimidation over that fact stop me from appreciating him or from considering some of the valuable guidance that his books offer.

I realized long ago that I will never be a great teacher, but I am happy for what my kids are gaining by being home. I can smile when they spend an entire morning making a lego Star Wars battlefield in my livingroom before we do school work. I'm happy for the time my 3 boys get to spend together becoming best friends. Every afternoon when the PS kids come home, I'm reminded of the bad language and bad attitudes that permeate our local school and I'm glad my kids are not immersed in it.

I've slowly realized there is no perfect scenario. We ARE missing things by staying home, but we are also gaining so much. If my boys remain friends and strong in their faith when they are older, I'll feel like I've done my job!

I couldn't be more depressed. I know that sounds awful, but it's true. I thought I could provide a much better education for my dc by home schooling, but Rafe makes his 5th grade class sound pretty amazing!

All the extra time he spends with the kids (early mornings, lunch time, after school and week-ends!) WOW is all I can say. As the year is winding down for us, I am exhausted and we didn't do a quarter of the big projects/field trips, etc.. that he accomplished.

I can't imagine having the energy and patience to do all the incredible things he does with those kids! I mean, 30 kids in Washington, DC?! It's a good day if I manage 2 kids in Wal-Mart!! I don't know what to say, other than I picked the book up hoping it would provide an inspirational "lift" to conclude the school year on; but instead I'm feeling lower than dirt.

I have not read the book... but want to encourage you that you can and are capable of educating your child. *Ü* I have been participating in a book devotion over at The Heart of The matter and the book is called Lies Home schooling Moms Believe by Todd Wilson.

Its a great little read.... Here is a link to the devotional page at HOTM:

Lies Homeschooling moms Believe

I didn’t go to college, I didn’t study to be a teacher and we are making it. Ive never had a pation for teaching... but I have had a deep desire to keep my kids home. Thats truly been enough. We have had good years and not so good, but we persevered. My oldest will graduate next month... Be encouraged.... I hope you can find the book and read over it. It’s really, really good...

I read that book and was inspired, in fact awed, by what he was able to do with those kids! I recommended it to a few friends. I agree that you take what you can glean from it, but don't feel depressed by it!

Because you don't do the exact things with your kids as he does with his class, doesn't mean you're not doing a good job at all! You're doing an awful lot with your kids that he hasn't and couldn't do with his class! So maybe he should be depressed by all that you accomplish with your kids! ;)

I agree with the others, and remember, just in case you want to put your dc in school to gain what Rafe offers, you are most likely not going to find another Rafe. Anywhere. I can tell you with certainty that about 99% of teachers want a life outside of school.

...you are most likely not going to find another Rafe.

I think that reading inspirational books by extraordinary teachers is a great way to get a few good ideas, and get pumped up.

No, you aren't going to replicate it every day.

You're not going to replicate more than a fraction of it, lol.

But you can provide an enriching, home-based experience for your kids that incorporates tiny bits of this and that teacher's philosophy.

When you're tempted to put your kids in school so that they could have the experience that his students have...just remember that for most people, it's a roll of the dice each year, when it comes to what kind of teacher the kids get. Sure, you could have a Rafe one year...and then have burnt-out folks who don't really want to be doing this anymore for the next four. It's not always a sure thing.

I'm glad we have wonderful teachers in the system, but one of the reasons I homeschool is to provide a somewhat consistent educational experience for my kids. One year with a whiz-bang teacher doesn't negate a committed mom that seeks to regularly widen her children's horizons.

Keep reading those books...just keep the salt shaker nearby. ;)

Just for the record, he was single for a really long time. If I remember correctly, he did eventually get married - - she works and has a kid or two, though, so she's not being all June Cleaver on his behalf :D

To me, the importance message of his books boils down to two main points:

1) Kids CAN be passionate, inspired learners.

2) There are no shortcuts. Teaching is hard work; you have to put time and energy into it in order to succeed. While it's important to select good materials, there's no 'magic' curriculum that will do it for you or make things peachy keen.

I second Lisa's suggestion - if your book discouraged you, Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe might be a better fit! I learned from the Lies book that if something I read discourages me, then chuck it out! Our co-op just finished studying this book in a mom's group - it was funny to see that certain homeschool books and magazines were encouraging to some moms, but discouraging to others. Its OK if you didn't feel uplifted by the book - but get rid of it and pick up something that *would* encourage you!

I read this recently as well and posted about it.

One thing I found surprising was how he implied most other teachers use the shortcuts. I found myself thinking that he was an exceptional teacher but he didn't seem to think there were many like him out there.

I just bought a couple of copies of "To Kill a Mockingbird" and plan to go over these this summer with my dc's. I am also going to find some of the movies he recommended. He was motivational but I was pretty disturbed by his "bad words" where I didn't think they fit.

I'm not sure your religious feelings so I'm only speaking for myself here, but I would rather teach character according to my family's values day in and day out than send my child off for a year of teaching through someone else's value system. Any shortcomings in Shakespeare, etc. I would gladly accept to draw my children's hearts closer to God. Whatever your family values, only you can instill those in your child by daily teachings and perseverance. Don't be depressed, you are just on a seperate road.

I also left the book wondering how other teachers feel about him. I bet they wouldn't be really uplifting as he comes across pretty arrogant.

One thing I found surprising was how he implied most other teachers use the shortcuts. I found myself thinking that he was an exceptional teacher but he didn't seem to think there were many like him out there.

As a ps teacher before kids, the first year was pure h*ck -it was constant planning and doing and planning some more. Not just during "planning" time, but ALL the time!

The second year was easier- I re-used at least 1/2 my lessons (only this time I knew what would work and what wouldn't AND I got to re-use most of my bulletin boards - YAY!!!!!!

The third year was pure joy! I re-used at least 3/4th of my lessons - if not more - AND had time to peruse other, extra "stuff" that would be inspiring and yet "easy". (And, I didn't have to make ANY new bulletin boards.)

The fourth year I quit half-way through thanks to ds#1. Just when I had it down to a science. I still wonder if I made the wrong decision!

My point is being a homeschool mom is like being a first-year teacher EVERY YEAR!!!!!! And, I guarantee you he wasn't as good his first year as he is now.

Besides, I don't have enough hair as it is to even think about setting it on fire! :lol:

I haven't read the book - just the title sounds depressing enough as it is!

Rhonda

As a ps teacher before kids, the first year was pure h*ck -it was constant planning and doing and planning some more. Not just during "planning" time, but ALL the time!

The second year was easier- I re-used at least 1/2 my lessons (only this time I knew what would work and what wouldn't AND I got to re-use most of my bulletin boards - YAY!!!!!!

The third year was pure joy! I re-used at least 3/4th of my lessons - if not more - AND had time to peruse other, extra "stuff" that would be inspiring and yet "easy". (And, I didn't have to make ANY new bulletin boards.)

The fourth year I quit half-way through thanks to ds#1. Just when I had it down to a science. I still wonder if I made the wrong decision!

My point is being a homeschool mom is like being a first-year teacher EVERY YEAR!!!!!! And, I guarantee you he wasn't as good his first year as he is now.

Besides, I don't have enough hair as it is to even think about setting it on fire! :lol:

I haven't read the book - just the title sounds depressing enough as it is!

Rhonda

I think that is a very good point. You're right; no year is the same in homeschooling, and the more dc you have, the more balls you have in the air at any one time. We're teaching different grades every year, and the majority of us on this board haven't yet seen a dc all the way through high school. Many of us are learning subjects that we've never been exposed to before (Latin, logic, etc.) while we teach more familiar subjects at several different levels. So we have a learning curve each and every year that we teach. We don't have the luxury of preparing for the same one or two subjects year after year.

I think Rafe's book is a good read for inspiration, but only for taking what would work for you and forgetting about the rest.