Menu

Spalding or "like" programs, the Y as /E/ question

Hi,

I am really curious how many people add the /E/ sound to Y. We are doing SWR and I know she makes a strong case against using the /E/ sound and to think to spell a word like Baby as /b/ /A/ /b/ /i/.

I just can't see how it would hurt to add the /E/ sound but am curious as to what others do and if those who add the /E/ have found it causes confusion in spelling.

Thanks!

Kim

I stick to the program. People far smarter and more educated than I thunk it up.:D And Mrs. Spalding's reasons for teaching y the way she does makes sense to me.

As far as I can tell, children don't have nearly as much trouble with one of y's sounds being /i/ as do the adults who are teaching it.

You know...this is what I was thinking also....I love the "think to spell" in other words, why not Baby also...

It still just bugs me though....not sure why!

Kim

I stick to the program. People far smarter and more educated than I thunk it up.:D And Mrs. Spalding's reasons for teaching y the way she does makes sense to me.

As far as I can tell, children don't have nearly as much trouble with one of y's sounds being /i/ as do the adults who are teaching it.

You know...this is what I was thinking also....I love the "think to spell" in other words, why not Baby also...

It still just bugs me though....not sure why!

Kim

:iagree: Is it really more efficient to "think to spell" (a concept I love) almost every word ending in 'y' as /E/? Or just to acknowledge that 'y' can say /E/ - and is likely to at the end of a word?

Oh, and I'm glad the world hasn't imploded yet.... :lol: That's the issue I had with SWR, it was like a religion. I'm using the method still, but I just have an old WRTR book for the lists.

My 2 cents. I'll let you know how it works in a few years....

:iagree: My ds hasn't had any trouble with it. I got over it.

Guest aquiverfull

I add it. It drove me crazy not to. Around here, we say baby with a long e sound, not short i. I did however tell my kids the explanation Mrs. Beers gave for Y having only the 3 sounds. When we mark a word like baby we put a 4 after the y for that long e sound we added. :) We also add a fourth sound for o.

I add it. It drove me crazy not to. Around here, we say baby with a long e sound, not short i. I did however tell my kids the explanation Mrs. Beers gave for Y having only the 3 sounds. When we mark a word like baby we put a 4 after the y for that long e sound we added. :) We also add a fourth sound for o.

:iagree:

Hmmmm maybe Justin Bieber used that phonics program "bab/i/, bab/i/, bab/i/"

:lol:

I did it by the book when I used SWR. Then I switched to AAS and it teaches long E as the fourth sound of Y and short u as the fourth sound of O. I am now using PR, but stuck with the fourth sound of each of these letters and just mark them with a 4 over them. The world hasn't imploded around here either. I have one dc that I think would have MAJOR problems with the whole babi thing.

:iagree: and I think that is true for other subject material as well when we are trying to escape the method of education we experienced ourselves.

I definitely teach that Y can say long e as in happy. (Because it does!) I teach that when Y is a vowel, it is just like I and has the same three sounds:

long I as in "bite" or "by"

short I as in "it" or "myth"

long e as in "radio" or "happy".

It seems simpler to me to just tell it like it actually is. This seems to make it easier for my kids to remember things like baby to babies, etc., because Y and I are related and have all the same sounds.

A question....does it cause some sort of confusion later w/ spelling rules if you add the 4th sound to Y, I also want to add a 3rd sound /E/ to the I as in Radio. I have never heard of the 4th sound of O, would that be /u/ for the schwa sound?

Thanks!

Oh...in AAS, what are the major differences as far as sounds, just the Y and I saying /E/?

Thanks!

Kim

A question....does it cause some sort of confusion later w/ spelling rules if you add the 4th sound to Y, I also want to add a 3rd sound /E/ to the I as in Radio. I have never heard of the 4th sound of O, would that be /u/ for the schwa sound?

Thanks!

Oh...in AAS, what are the major differences as far as sounds, just the Y and I saying /E/?

Thanks!

Kim

In AAS, i and y both get a long /E/ sound and o gets a short /u/ sound. I'm pretty sure those were the only different ones when we switched from AAS to Phonics Road (based on Spalding). I can't imagine it causing any problems to teach the long /E/ as long as you have i and y both able to say that sound. The important thing is to keep the relationship between i and y. Y says all the sounds of i (/i/ /I/ /E/) plus the consonant /y/ sound.

In AAS, i and y both get a long /E/ sound and o gets a short /u/ sound. I'm pretty sure those were the only different ones when we switched from AAS to Phonics Road (based on Spalding). I can't imagine it causing any problems to teach the long /E/ as long as you have i and y both able to say that sound. The important thing is to keep the relationship between i and y. Y says all the sounds of i (/i/ /I/ /E/) plus the consonant /y/ sound.

I haven't used AAS, but this is how I do it with PR. DD never accidentally puts an 'e' at the end of a word because of it, and she never accidentally uses a 'y' in short words with a long /E/ sound, like 'me'. She knows it's 'y' in longer words and 'e' in short words.

No, it's in words like love and mother. It can also happen as a schwa (but that's true of almost any vowel & it would be confusing to add the schwa sound to all the vowels!).

Thanks!

Kim

AAS has a FAQ on SWR & the similarities and differences. HTH! Merry :-)

I'm so glad to read everyone's responses! We started PR about a month ago and my dc didn't buy the explanation about baby having a short i sound that's been elongated. DD (who's really just listening to her younger brother's lessons) raised her eyebrows and told me that the y does say a long e.

Then when we had "ton" as a spelling word, I got confused. I told ds that it was the sound /o/ /O/ /u/. And he wrote "o", but then I remembered that o is supposed to be /o/ /O/ /oo/, and I couldn't figure out how to mark the o. I'd much rather add sounds to the phonogram cards than to try to smoosh words into saying sounds that they don't actually make.

I'm so glad to read everyone's responses! We started PR about a month ago and my dc didn't buy the explanation about baby having a short i sound that's been elongated. DD (who's really just listening to her younger brother's lessons) raised her eyebrows and told me that the y does say a long e.

Then when we had "ton" as a spelling word, I got confused. I told ds that it was the sound /o/ /O/ /u/. And he wrote "o", but then I remembered that o is supposed to be /o/ /O/ /oo/, and I couldn't figure out how to mark the o. I'd much rather add sounds to the phonogram cards than to try to smoosh words into saying sounds that they don't actually make.

We add a fourth sound of o: /o/ /O/ /oo/ /u/

I add it. It makes no sense not to. :) AAS adds /e/ as the fourth sound of y and the third sound of i (radio). We now use PR and added those sounds to our phonogram cards. The world has not imploded yet.... :)
I add the /e/ sound. The only problem that I have found is that the few phonograms that are this way have /short i/ as one of the numbered sounds, and that gets thrown off (because they are supposed to be prioritized according to the most common first)

When we used SWR we did not add it, but when we switched to AAS, we did add the /e/ sound. Personally I like it better with it. My ds never struggled either way. When we didn't add the /e/ sound he'd always write a y in SWR, and now that we add the /e/ sound in AAS, he never writes an e.