Menu

Anyone else react *severly* to mosquito bites?

Meaning you swell up like a balloon, vomit and are as weak as a day old baby for 24hrs+ after the fact?

Friday evening we were outside and the mosquitos are already out :glare: down here. DH saw them and even slapped one off of me, as he knows in the past I do not react well to them. After about 30minutes outside, I had to come in as I could feel them attacking me. By 7p (approx less than 2hrs after I came in) I was sick as a dog. Feeling faint and very nauseated. Around 10p I started vomiting-and finally fell asleep around mindnight.

Saturday morning, I woke up to use the bathroom and get J situated on the couch as I knew I wasn't up for anything more than that. Well, I barely made it to the bathroom before I started feeling faint. I got back to the one couch and called to J to bring Mommy the phone before I passed out. DH had left for work right before J and I woke up, so he was already at work when all of this was happening. He was able to come home, thank the Lord!, because there was NO way I was doing anything. I ended up sleeping the ENTIRE day and all the way thru to this morning actually.

My one ankle alone has well over 15 bites, it looked like an elephant ankle this morning. Benadryl has helped-thankfully!

When I was younger my parents took us to Assategue (I know I butchered that spelling, sorry!) Island and I was a very sick child after leaving it. The older I get though, the worse the reaction is becoming.

I react this badly to Poison Ivy-I do not even have to touch it, just the smell of it will make me have an allergic reaction. This is comparable to the reaction I had to just a very small area of fire ant bites a couple of summers ago.

We know how to prevent the Fire Ants (for the most part), but how on earth does one keep mosquitos away? Especially when you live in the South and your son lives outside in the warmer months. I am nervous that the "typical" stuff isn't going to cut it any longer.

J nor my DH reacts this way to ANY type of bite. Lucky them! Even one mosquito bite makes the area swell up to the size of a golf ball or larger. I can't be out of commission like this again! Anyone have ideas?

Thanks in advance!

West Nile virus?

Mild symptoms include:

A fever.

Headaches, body aches, or pain in your eyes.

A rash, usually on the chest, back, and arms.

Feeling very tired.

Not feeling hungry.

Feeling sick to your stomach or throwing up.

Swollen glands (lymph nodes), in rare cases.

In mild cases of West Nile, symptoms usually last for 3 to 6 days. If you get a more severe case of West Nile, symptoms can last for weeks or months. Severe cases that involve problems with the brain and spinal cord are rare, but they may cause:

Headaches.

A high fever.

A stiff neck or paralysis.

Confusion.

Reduced attention to surroundings.

Tremors, convulsions, or muscle weakness.

A coma.

In rare cases, West Nile virus can cause death.

Wikipedia says there are 3 forms of West Nile Virus.

The second, febrile stage has an incubation period of 2 to 8 days followed by fever, headache, chills, diaphoresis (excessive sweating), weakness, lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes), drowsiness, pain in the joints and symptoms like those of influenza or the flu. Occasionally there is a short-lived truncal rash and some patients experience gastrointestinal symptoms including nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, or diarrhea. Symptoms are generally resolved within 7 to 10 days, although fatigue can persist for some weeks and lymphadenopathy up to two months.

You can have a true allergy to mosquito bites--even an anaphylactic one. That sounds like a very severe reaction (side note: poison ivy can be anaphylactic too). My husband has to have steroids when he gets poison ivy. It's horrible.

I think, actually, you may want an allergist. You can actually be tested for a true allergy and that reaction is bad enough that I'd want to discuss with the allergist whether I might need an epi pen--particularly since, if I'm understanding, they are getting worse with time.

My son has severe but local (swelling) reactions to mosquito bites. I believe when he started Zyrtec it did help lower the reactions but not completely eliminate them.

You would do all you could to keep from getting bit--long pants and sleeves if you can and a deet product. For my own son I don't know of anything else to do other than trying to avoid and the Zyrtec but he doesn't have that severe a reaction. Maybe there are other things you could do. I am concerned by the description honestly and I'd want to talk to an allergist.

Side note: W. Nile has an incubation period and it's longer than the time frame you're describing I believe.

Oh, has this type of thing happened before with a bite? I guess it just occurred to me that you might have had another illness coinciding?

Edited by sbgrace

My Dd has bad reactions to bug bites. So far we know she reacts bad to mosquitos, spiders, sweat bees, and fleas.

One mosquito bite on her wrist caused her whole arm (hand to shoulder and neck) to swell up like a balloon. A bite on her forehead caused her face to swell and one eye to completely close up. That time her throat also got itchy and felt "funny" to her.

We spray her down with DEET, she keeps her arms/legs covered even in summer when she may get bit by mosquitos. She also carries Benadryl and her inhaler at all times. Sometimes we give her Benadryl before she goes out. We also keep prednisone on hand and have given that to her if she gets several bites.

We used to have a prescription for Atarax but we didn't renew since. It was when her whole arm swelled up.

So far she has only had to go to ER twice. The two above times I mentioned. Usually we can treat it, but we have to give her meds for up to a week to knock it all out. A bite can cause her fingers/toes to swell for several days after the bite.

Ds#3 also has reactions to bugs, but not as severe as his sister.

Edited by AnitaMcC

I used to have the same type of reaction. The bite site would swell up like there was a baseball under my skin. I missed driving around most of Yellowstone after getting a few bites; I slept in the car while driving around the park.

Sting-Eze helped my reaction tremendously, both at the bite and how I felt afterwards. I've always found it in the sporting goods/camping section at Target and Walmart. The bottle is yellow and green; it's similar to Camphophenique (sp?!) but works much better.

I also use a bug spray for kids. I don't mind putting poison on my body (as in some of the adult sprays), but I prefer the smell of the kids' spray, and it's effective in keeping the bugs from biting me.

Fwiw, as I've gotten older, my reactions have become much less violent. I still use the repellant and Sting-Eze though.

My reactions are almost that bad. I haven't passed out in about 30 years and I haven't thrown up (from any reason at all) in about 25 years. But severe swelling, nausea, feeling faint, weak, fever, etc. you betcha. I react like this to mosquito bites, fire ants and a little less strongly to flea bites but still pretty bad. I am downright allergic to wasps but not to bees. I have also been bitten by some unknown insect that left a huge black bruise. :confused:

dd12 doesn't get physically ill, but she gets huge baseball size reactions. The thing that is odd with her, is that she gets worse in the days after the bite, not better. It takes a week or so for them to start to go down, and it can take 2+ weeks for them to heal.

She is getting allergy shots for trees/grasses/weeds right now. I asked the allergist if there is any way to get shots for mosquitoes and she said no. I asked if she knew about any research being done in desensitizing for mosquitoes, and she said 'no'.

She has to take prednisone sometimes when she gets bit if they aren't starting to improve in 5 days or so.

The best thing we have found for her is to put Benadryl cream and hydrocortisone cream (we have prescription strength 2.5%)on a gauze pad and to wrap the bite with Coban (sp?) wrap (the rubbery gauze bandage wrap). We reapply a few times a day. Then we keep her on maximum dosages of Benadryl around the clock for a week. She doesn't get too tired from it, so it works for her. She keeps them wrapped for days until they start to heal. By doing this she can keep them from swelling up to baseball size....they are more like a quarter and don't hurt/itch so much. We don't know why this seems to help so much. The constant medication, the pressure from the wrap, or that she can't accidentally rub them in her sleep.

This year we also have Diprolene cream to try on them..it is a stronger prescription steroid cream than the hydrocortisone.

For repellent we use Repel brand with the highest levels of Deet. We try to apply it to her clothes more than her skin, but if she is going to be outside in the spring/summer/fall evenings then she absolutely has to have it on. My allergist recommends Ultrathon as a repellent for people with extreme reactions.

There is nothing an allergist can do in the way of testing/treating-we have asked him before as J has pretty severe enviromental allergies.

I will pick up some Sting-Ez, honestly never thought about it for mosquito bites.

Benadryl is already carried for J's allergies, and DH has already said we are to carry enough for Mommy now as well.

Yes, every time I get around Poison Ivy, I have to be on Predisone for 10 days. It is NOT fun!

If poisons, in the form of a high concentration of DEET, is what it takes, so be it. I will also look at the Ultrathon and get some of that as well.

My allergies to Poison Ivy and insect bites are only getting worse as I get older-and an epi pen just may be in my future. I will call J's allergist and see what they say about it.

Thank you all!

I would most definitely want to see an allergist and carry an epi pen as well.

:iagree: My son's allergist did say that some people can get anaphylaxis from mosquitoes:( What you are describing sounds like anaphylaxis and requires an epi-pen and calling 911 but I am not a doctor. Please see an allergist. The allergist did say that some of his patients take zrytec as a precaution when they know they are going to be near mosquitos but again you need expert advice.:grouphug:

Edited by priscilla

Wow I thought my golf ball (and bigger) welts I get lasting for days after a bite were bad!

I don't get all those symptoms. Just a nasty *HUGE* welt that itches enough (sometimes) to make my stomach feel funny. Skeets do it to me. UGH. Fleas, not so bad with the welts but the itching is the same!

Hate mosquitoes! :cursing::tongue_smilie:

There is nothing an allergist can do in the way of testing/treating-we have asked him before as J has pretty severe enviromental allergies.

That doesn't ring true. Maybe you should get a second opinion from another allergist. Try as you may, you live in the south. This will not be the last time you get bit up, and you need to pursue a better treatment than your current one.

All that can be done is prevention and treatment after. Unlike bee stings or other insect bites, you can not go thru desensitazation therapy (allergy shots) for mosquito bites.

This is all being done without insurance as well.

It doesn't matter where we live, they find me :glare:

:grouphug:

Yes but you can get an order for a dual pack epi-pen to carry with you at all times as well as melt a way benadryl strips . You could try zrytec 10 mg when you know there is a likelihood of exposure. A allergist's advice would be the best course since he can instruct you on what to do and give you an action plan. Also knowing the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis and how to treat. Your description to me sounds like you needed to be in the ER:(.

Here is info on anaphylaxis. Your fainting could have been from low blood pressure which can happen in anaphylaxis but again it behooves you to see a doctor.

http://www.foodallergy.org/section/a

As for insurance, you may be eligible for insurance from your state or there may be clinics available to you. It is worth investigating since one does not always have to have a very low income to qualify at all. Lastly, if this happens again I would go to an ER right away.

That doesn't ring true. Maybe you should get a second opinion from another allergist. Try as you may, you live in the south. This will not be the last time you get bit up, and you need to pursue a better treatment than your current one.

DD12's allergist told us the same. We were just talking about it a few months ago. The only thing you can do for mosquitoe bites....is to prevent them in the first place.

If poisons, in the form of a high concentration of DEET, is what it takes, so be it. I will also look at the Ultrathon and get some of that as well.

Try Avon's Bug Guard Plus Expedition, unscented. It doesn't have DEET but works very well. It has very little scent while it's drying, and none after it dries. I'm a mosquito magnet, and Bug Guard works for me. I would get the one in the green can (aerosol), or the green pump spray. I don't know how well the other versions of Bug Guard work. At this time of year, it's pricey (it's $16 right now on the Avon website), but it goes down in price in the spring/summer. I know it used to be $4 or $5 in the summer months, but that was several years ago when the full retail price was $12.

Try Avon's Bug Guard Plus Expedition, unscented. It doesn't have DEET but works very well. It has very little scent while it's drying, and none after it dries. I'm a mosquito magnet, and Bug Guard works for me. I would get the one in the green can (aerosol), or the green pump spray. I don't know how well the other versions of Bug Guard work. At this time of year, it's pricey (it's $16 right now on the Avon website), but it goes down in price in the spring/summer. I know it used to be $4 or $5 in the summer months, but that was several years ago when the full retail price was $12.

They laugh at me when I use anything without DEET. I *have* to use DEET, even the smaller percentage of DEET does not keep them away like I need it to. The Ultrathon has 34% DEET in it, if that stuff doesn't work-I am not certain what will!

We're in an area with Lyme disease. DD1 also has very severe mosquito bite reactions, in the form of baseball-sized welts. We go to great lengths to prevent bug bites.

I'm generally opposed to casual use of poisons, but having read up on DEET, I'm not concerned about using it on healthy children and adults. Based on the published research, it appears to be reasonably safe when used as directed, and even the lower concentrations should be adequate for most environments.

Our other bug repellent is lemon eucalyptus. It works well too, and I actually like the smell. Consumer Reports found it to be as effective as lower concentrations of DEET, but its effectiveness wears off faster.

So, for day camp, longer daytime outings, and really buggy times (like evenings), we use DEET. For a playdate at the park, we use lemon eucalyptus instead.

We're in an area with Lyme disease. DD1 also has very severe mosquito bite reactions, in the form of baseball-sized welts. We go to great lengths to prevent bug bites.

I'm generally opposed to casual use of poisons, but having read up on DEET, I'm not concerned about using it on healthy children and adults. Based on the published research, it appears to be reasonably safe when used as directed, and even the lower concentrations should be adequate for most environments.

Our other bug repellent is lemon eucalyptus. It works well too, and I actually like the smell. Consumer Reports found it to be as effective as lower concentrations of DEET, but its effectiveness wears off faster.

So, for day camp, longer daytime outings, and really buggy times (like evenings), we use DEET. For a playdate at the park, we use lemon eucalyptus instead.

We do the same. I use natural products during the day, and switch to the noxious stuff when we need too.

I am like some of you, where there could be 20 people around, and the mosquitos only bite me. I get the huge, swelling lumps that get red and hot and stay itchy for days. I need to use DEET, and even then that doesn't keep them all away. I've never become violently ill from mosquito bites, but I might if I got enough of them. When I was a kid, we had a cat that got fleas, and for whatever reason, I was the only one in house who got bitten. I had bites everywhere from head to toe. I became very sick and was throwing up continually and had a high fever. My parents took me to the ER and they kept me in the hospital for a couple of days. That gave my parents time to get rid of the cat and start de-fleaing the house.