Menu

Just for fun: A place I will never live

Quite right :) We just pretend the creatures aren't there. Including the snake that struck my son's shoe while he was riding his bike :eek:

But don't forget, you will get a slightly warped view of any country if you only get your info from the media. For a while, my children were adamant they would never live in the US because "everybody has guns and we'll get shot the minute we get there" :D

Only if you fly into Miami or Detroit. (just kidding if you are from there)

I can't live anywhere that has below freezing temps for more than a couple of days a year. Or the snow lasts more than a couple of days.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(shuffling feet and looking down a little sheepishly) Well then, I NEVER want to live in Hawaii or New Zealand. (Just don't go read the thread about where one dreams of living...)

My oldest son is working in Hawaii for 6 months and he told me that he was tired of the hotel they put him in and was looking at a house. It has 10' waves in the back and a mountain view in the front yard....BUT he isn't sure he wants to live there because it is a bad neighborhood. I fell out laughing about a place where apparently even the slums are waterfront with gorgeous views. Tough life my kiddo is living right now as we freeze.

Georgia (also partly raised there and family still lives there; uneducated bigoted racist "Christian" hypocrites, lack of diversity, red clay, you couldn't PAY me to move back!)

Well, we aren't ALL bigoted, racist "Christian" hypocrites... ;) Nor uneducated, thankyouverymuch!

There's definitely diversity here, but admittedly, it's in pockets, not quite the melting pot feeling you get in say, San Francisco or NYC. Personally I despise the black/white racial tension that still exists over Atlanta. It's just ridiculous here.

And red clay is some wicked stuff, but thankfully, it's not everywhere. We have lovely sandy soil in our backyard now.

Not trying to sell anyone on Georgia, but there are lots of things to love here, too. My favorite is four distinct seasons, without a terribly harsh winter. Summers, though, I could totally do without! They're brutal!

My oldest son is working in Hawaii for 6 months and he told me that he was tired of the hotel they put him in and was looking at a house. It has 10' waves in the back and a mountain view in the front yard....BUT he isn't sure he wants to live there because it is a bad neighborhood. I fell out laughing about a place where apparently even the slums are waterfront with gorgeous views. Tough life my kiddo is living right now as we freeze.

:lol:

We do plan on going there for a couple of years after we retire, if not before. Until then, the main thing stopping us (besides the cost of living) is that it's so far away from everyone (family) and everything (other parts of the world). Both hubby's and my family are getting a bit older. If/when they pass on, there might not be much stopping us. Oh, and I need to get my younger two boys in college - from here - where the college visits are less expensive.

Anywhere my family wasn't. :001_smile:

I think I could pretty much learn to live anywhere. That said, southern Illinois & Kansas are two of my least favorite places (really most of the Midwest). Not sure I would be happy in the deep jungle areas of the world, or any places that were really cold for more than a few months. I do know I would love to move elsewhere, but sadly fear that will never happen.

I do NOT like Korean food, LOL!

That's a good enough reason!! But I can't help wonder if you don't like real Korean food or the Americanized version of it. Maybe you don't like veggies??

I could never do South Carolina or anyplace south like that. I used to stay will my elderly aunt in the summers and grocery shopping was one of my chores.

I'm from the north so I was not prepared for the checkout clerks who who wanted to discuss every.single.item. "Whatcha ya'll gonna make with his? I like the other brand better. You know, I once opened a can of peas and found a rat in it. Well, I don't git that brand no more! But I see you do. You might change your mind if you find a rat. Oh dear. I see it's that time of the month for you. Did I ever tell you about my Grammy Cecelia? Yep. She went bonkers and shot her chicken one day when Grampy wouldn't get her some ice."

Grocery shopping took me half an hour. Checking out took me an hour at least. And it was the same everywhere!!! Gas stations, restaurants, doctor's offices. Southerners are very kind. But I'm from the north - I don't want any more friends!! And manners add at least half an hour to any errand... :tongue_smilie:

That's a good enough reason!! But I can't help wonder if you don't like real Korean food or the Americanized version of it. Maybe you don't like veggies??

I could never do South Carolina or anyplace south like that. I used to stay will my elderly aunt in the summers and grocery shopping was one of my chores.

I'm from the north so I was not prepared for the checkout clerks who who wanted to discuss every.single.item. "Whatcha ya'll gonna make with his? I like the other brand better. You know, I once opened a can of peas and found a rat in it. Well, I don't git that brand no more! But I see you do. You might change your mind if you find a rat. Oh dear. I see it's that time of the month for you. Did I ever tell you about my Grammy Cecelia? Yep. She went bonkers and shot her chicken one day when Grampy wouldn't get her some ice."

Grocery shopping took me half an hour. Checking out took me an hour at least. And it was the same everywhere!!! Gas stations, restaurants, doctor's offices. Southerners are very kind. But I'm from the north - I don't want any more friends!! And manners add at least half an hour to any errand... :tongue_smilie:

Laughing myself silly! I think most really smal towns are that way...and Aunts. I visited my Aunt and she asked me to go to the grocery store, but instead of paying for her items I was to tell the checkout clerk her name. HUH? They still do groceries on "account" and have a ledger so that when they get their checks the people come in and pay their bill. I asked how they would know I wasn't stealing it since I wasn't her. She thought I was the crazy one, and said why would anyone want to steal her groceries. Of course I am prepared to pay for the items, as I know the clerks are not going to give them to me, but they did. :001_smile:

Well, we aren't ALL bigoted, racist "Christian" hypocrites... ;) Nor uneducated, thankyouverymuch!

There's definitely diversity here, but admittedly, it's in pockets, not quite the melting pot feeling you get in say, San Francisco or NYC. Personally I despise the black/white racial tension that still exists over Atlanta. It's just ridiculous here.

And red clay is some wicked stuff, but thankfully, it's not everywhere. We have lovely sandy soil in our backyard now.

Not trying to sell anyone on Georgia, but there are lots of things to love here, too. My favorite is four distinct seasons, without a terribly harsh winter. Summers, though, I could totally do without! They're brutal!

Yeah, didn't mean to offend anyone. I should have mentioned that anyone on a Classical Education site couldn't possibly be one of the people I mentioned ;)

I lived in Riverdale, Jonesboro, and Stockbridge before moving up to Lumpkin County, in the N. Georgia mountains. (UGH. Where's the Puke emoticon?)

The first three weren't THAT bad, but once we got to the mountains.... it COMPLETELY turned me against Georgia. I attended middle and high school there and got out as soon as I could. I did ONE year at Georgia State in Atlanta and then joined the Army to GET. OUT. I hope my mom and sisters move at some point so I never have to go back and visit :-/

A lot of people say that it "isn't that bad" and "I didn't have that experience". Well, if you are a White, church attending Christian then you probably won't. Date a black man and watch those friendly, "hospitable", upstanding Christians turn into pitch fork carrying fire spitting demons in the blink of an eye.

We had some Korean friends in the Army, when we lived in Hawaii, who always invited us over and cooked authentic Korean food :) Plus, when you live in Hawaii, Korean food is always available! I love Chinese and Japanese food, but not Korean, Thai or Vietnamese..... ACTUALLY, I do like Bool Kogi from Trader Joes, LOL, but that's it!

They are not kind to everyone! You would have found your experiences completely different if you were black, latino or god forbid, part of an inter-racial couple. I can't begin to tell you how many "friendly" Southerner's told me I was going to Hell for dating a black man, or how many white guys wouldn't date me after we separated. One of my friends wasn't "allowed" to be friends with me anymore and my dad even lost work (building houses/Drywall) because people found out/knew his daughter was dating a black guy. This was in 1995-1999, not the 50's!!

I'll never say "never", because I'd probably wind up exactly where I said I'd never go. ;)

But... I hope I never live...

...anywhere outside the U.S. (well, except for a vacation home or two--but that wouldn't be my permanent residence).

...above the Mason-Dixon Line.

...anywhere it's usually hot (or even warm) at Christmas time.

...anywhere that does not have electricity or running water.

...anywhere that I cannot worship freely.

...far from my loved ones.

Lots of people have mentioned that they'd never live in the desert, and my reaction is that we don't have mosquitos. Or chiggers. Or black-flies. Or basically anything else that swarms - unless you count tumbleweeds. :D

Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, or Idaho (too brown and drab)

I live in Nevada, with irrigation. Not brown and drab (during irrigation season, anyways), but the mosquitoes get pretty bad.

We had some Korean friends in the Army, when we lived in Hawaii, who always invited us over and cooked authentic Korean food :) Plus, when you live in Hawaii, Korean food is always available! I love Chinese and Japanese food, but not Korean, Thai or Vietnamese..... ACTUALLY, I do like Bool Kogi from Trader Joes, LOL, but that's it!

They are not kind to everyone! You would have found your experiences completely different if you were black, latino or god forbid, part of an inter-racial couple. I can't begin to tell you how many "friendly" Southerner's told me I was going to Hell for dating a black man, or how many white guys wouldn't date me after we separated. One of my friends wasn't "allowed" to be friends with me anymore and my dad even lost work (building houses/Drywall) because people found out/knew his daughter was dating a black guy. This was in 1995-1999, not the 50's!!

Ok, you lost me at not liking Thai. Oh wow. Indian food? Do you like Indian food?

The race thing... Yeah. There were confederate flags everywhere. Dudes, you lost. Get over it! Exactly when is the south supposed to rise again???

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Well, it's certainly not like that down here in South Florida, but my mom moved up to the north Georgia mountains when she retired (traitor! ;) ) and she lives in a small town now. I once had to go to the post office while I was up there visiting her and I had to wait so long in the line behind just ONE person. lol I told my mom when I got back to her house, "Man, no matter where I go to the post office I have to wait a half an hour. At home I have to wait a half an hour because it's so crowded and the line is so long, here I have to wait a half an hour for them to finish their conversation" :001_huh::tongue_smilie:

I can't do that one either. We did earthquakes for a weekly science study awhile ago and we went to the national website on earthquakes. There is NO way I've live on the wrong side of that fault line EVER. It's creepy!!

My grandparents have some friends who live in Illinois who say they would never move to California because of the earthquakes.

Their barn has been destroyed multiple times by tornadoes (with it just being luck that it didn't get their house as well), while my grandparents have lived in California for 50+ years and never sustained more than inconsequential damage from an earthquake (or any other natural disaster).

I guess it's just all about the devil you know!

My grandparents have some friends who live in Illinois who say they would never move to California because of the earthquakes.

Their barn has been destroyed multiple times by tornadoes (with it just being luck that it didn't get their house as well), while my grandparents have lived in California for 50+ years and never sustained more than inconsequential damage from an earthquake (or any other natural disaster).

I am from Oklahoma and my issue with earthquakes are that you do not really have warning. They can see tornadoes coming. I do know people whose homes have been completely obliterated by tornadoes but I still find earthquakes to be scarier.

Hm, I have lived a lot of places with features other people despise, lol.

My experience is that there are good and bad things *everywhere*. There are annoying people and great people everywhere.

In my time as a military wife I have learned that there are really only 2 types of people: those that are happy pretty much everywhere and those that aren't happy anywhere.

Where would I never live? Hopefully Antarctica or the North Pole. Possibly because I have seen The Thing one too many times.

Hm, I have lived a lot of places with features other people despise, lol.

My experience is that there are good and bad things *everywhere*. There are annoying people and great people everywhere.

In my time as a military wife I have learned that there are really only 2 types of people: those that are happy pretty much everywhere and those that aren't happy anywhere.

Where would I never live? Hopefully Antarctica or the North Pole. Possibly because I have seen The Thing one too many times.

Ah! But are there crabs?:D

I can't live anywhere that has below freezing temps for more than a couple of days a year. Or the snow lasts more than a couple of days.

Then you should move to Oregon! We get snow once or twice a year, and it never lasts more than a week -- usually 3-5 days tops.

Yes, it does rain, but that's why it is so green and beautiful. Contrary to stereotypical views about Oregon and parts of Washington state, it doesn't rain here every.single.day. I've been here all my life and it honestly rains about 5 months out of 12, and that is combined with alternating sunny days and various other normal weather conditions. It's hard on most transplanted Californians to adjust, but most of us that have been here a long time don't know any better and we just don't think about it. :D

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Ok, you lost me at not liking Thai. Oh wow. Indian food? Do you like Indian food?

The race thing... Yeah. There were confederate flags everywhere. Dudes, you lost. Get over it! Exactly when is the south supposed to rise again???

Yes, I like SOME Indian food. Aloo Gobi is good, so is tandoori.

I like SOME Thai as well.... like Pad Thai, but only at some places. I like Shumai.... It's just not my favorite, KWIM?

I ONLY like Indian and Jamaican Curry; NOT Thai curry, especially the Green Curry, BLECH!

Having such a wide variety of choices has allowed me to pick and choose, I guess :)

Delicious ones? I wish! :D

Anyone who goes to Waikiki should try the crab-macadamia nut wontons at Hula Grill!

:drool5: HOW did I miss THAT?????

My favorite part of living in Hawaii was the food! I good LIVE off of Manapua and Malasadas!

And chocolate haupia pie and huli-huli chicken OR pork chops, mmmmmm.

There was a chain Japanese place that I LOVED, but I can't remember the name of it....

I know but it's just the very idea of the earth opening up below your feet. That story about the sinkhole that opened in a river and sucked a bunch of kids down last summer gave me many a sleepless night!!

But the idea of looking down into a brand new crevice and there being magma down there... :crying:

I won't step foot over that fault line ever if I can help it!!! It's too bad too because I'd love to dive a kelp forest. :(

Yes, I like SOME Indian food. Aloo Gobi is good, so is tandoori.

I like SOME Thai as well.... like Pad Thai, but only at some places. I like Shumai.... It's just not my favorite, KWIM?

I ONLY like Indian and Jamaican Curry; NOT Thai curry, especially the Green Curry, BLECH!

Having such a wide variety of choices has allowed me to pick and choose, I guess :)

I'm with you on the green curry! Cannot go there! Yuck! :D

:drool5: HOW did I miss THAT?????

My favorite part of living in Hawaii was the food! I good LIVE off of Manapua and Malasadas!

And chocolate haupia pie and huli-huli chicken OR pork chops, mmmmmm.

There was a chain Japanese place that I LOVED, but I can't remember the name of it....

I miss food from everywhere we have lived, I think!

Was it Kuru Kuru sushi? Or Genki sushi? Or something besides sushi?

Oh. My. Gosh! Where did that happen? Or maybe I don't want to know?

Somewhere down south!!! There was a family swimming off a boat and none of the kids could swim. Of course, none of them planned on swimming in 20 feet of water. :(

My mom told me about the story because she knows about my pathological fear of the earth opening up under my feet. She wanted to warn me!! What she doesn't understand is that I probably would not have read the darn story period. lol

Somewhere down south!!! There was a family swimming off a boat and none of the kids could swim. Of course, none of them planned on swimming in 20 feet of water. :(

My mom told me about the story because she knows about my pathological fear of the earth opening up under my feet. She wanted to warn me!! What she doesn't understand is that I probably would not have read the darn story period. lol

When was this? The only recent thing I could find that seemed relevant was in Louisiana.

I'm pretty sure sinkholes are much more common in other parts of the US than California, though they do happen there as well.

When was this? The only recent thing I could find that seemed relevant was in Louisiana.

I'm pretty sure sinkholes are much more common in other parts of the US than California, though they do happen there as well.

It happened last summer.

I'll google it if you can't find it.

Wow. That makes me sick. It's so sad! A very similar thing happened here a few years ago. Young people were playing in the shallows on the edge of the Meramec River and ended up drowning.

It is so tragic, truly, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people risk going into the water at all when they can't swim. Or why their parents let them, I guess. They have no idea what the terrain is like under the surface.

Oh, my. Too horrifying for words.

I miss food from everywhere we have lived, I think!

Was it Kuru Kuru sushi? Or Genki sushi? Or something besides sushi?

Hana Sushi, maybe? The one we went to the most was near our house, in Kapolei.

I was never a fan of Genki sushi, once I got past the novelty of everything floating past me, LOL.

My favorite restaurant on the WHOLE island was actually an Italian place at Hilton Hawaiian Village, called Sergios.

*sigh* I MISS Hawaii.... I wanna move back now :(