Menu

Yesterday's Classics is offering 225 Ebooks for $99.95.

5LittleMonkeys

Some of these you could get free from Amazon for your Kindle but I'm pretty sure most of them are around $2 at the least. Just thought some here might be interested!

http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/catalog/offer_bb.php

Edited to add: I think most of these books can be viewed at The Baldwin Project. So yes, you could have access to most of the books free, but through the offer you are paying to have them organized for you and all in one place...just wanted to clarify for those who weren't aware that most of these are indeed public domain books.

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

I got many books from Project Gutenberg. I simply save them as epub files on my computer, plug the Nook into the computer, and transfer the files when the Nook pops up as external storage. Files that come from places other than BN go to My Documents file in the Nook, while ones from BN go to My BN content. When reading the Nook, simply go to My Library and toggle between the Documents and BN content depending on what you want to read.

Before you pay money for any classics, go to Project Gutenberg and see if they are available there for free.

I got many books from Project Gutenberg. I simply save them as epub files on my computer, plug the Nook into the computer, and transfer the files when the Nook pops up as external storage. Files that come from places other than BN go to My Documents file in the Nook, while ones from BN go to My BN content. When reading the Nook, simply go to My Library and toggle between the Documents and BN content depending on what you want to read.

Before you pay money for any classics, go to Project Gutenberg and see if they are available there for free.

:iagree: that's how my DS has gotten mine onto my Nook.:lol:

This is what I do, too. I've found the Google books quality to be hit-and-miss, lots of special characters and many of them practically illegible. Gutenberg docs have been edited, at least.

You can also download audio books from librivox.org.

The Yesterday's Classics package would be great if you have the $$ because all the searching and gathering has been done for you, the books have been formatted properly and they include a cover page and paragraph about the book that you won't get from Gutenberg.

These days I have more time than money, though, so I download our books for free. :)

This is what I do, too. I've found the Google books quality to be hit-and-miss, lots of special characters and many of them practically illegible. Gutenberg docs have been edited, at least.

You can also download audio books from librivox.org.

The Yesterday's Classics package would be great if you have the $$ because all the searching and gathering has been done for you, the books have been formatted properly and they include a cover page and paragraph about the book that you won't get from Gutenberg.

These days I have more time than money, though, so I download our books for free. :)

Most of them have no pictures though, I guess I kinda like pictures, and so do the kids. What would Dr. Doolittle be without a picture of the pushmipullyu? I've used Project Gutenburg and Google books, but I just checked out the sample from Yesterday's classics, and it's pretty nice. And they would all be consistent quality WITH a working table of contents. I should have some money on Friday and I'm really thinking about just buying the set. Hmmm.

^^^From what I saw last night it was fine. There are over 6,000 pages. I was only able to check out a few pages. One thing I noticed the table of contents on the screen did not match up to the stories. But when I searched in the lower half of the nook by chapter it lists the indivual stories and when I searched that way I was able to locate the specified stories.

Curious if anyone has searched through this list to see how many/which ones are already available free. I checked Project Gutenberg and found many were not there, but I didn't check other sites. I am considering getting a Kindle just to have all these books! Would love to know how many of the 225 are already avail free though...thanks!

Curious if anyone has searched through this list to see how many/which ones are already available free. I checked Project Gutenberg and found many were not there, but I didn't check other sites. I am considering getting a Kindle just to have all these books! Would love to know how many of the 225 are already avail free though...thanks!

I think most or all of them are available free on the mainlesson website. But for about $0.45 per book, it's worth it to me to have them in kindle format. You can put them on your kindle, but you can also download a free kindle app for your pc and read them from your computer. The kindle app gives you 3 choices for background color, and using the beige background makes it easier on my eyes for reading online.

Gutenburg has several formats, as do other websites. I think what you are getting here is convienence (whole bunch of living books, classics and such related to homeschooling, already organized) and quality (these all include pictures, a working TOC, and have been retyped NOT scanned).

If you wanted to get them free, I imagine between Google books, archive.org and gutenburg, you could find 90% of them. I know a few I couldn't find, like Streams of Civilization.

HTH! I haven't decided yet, but since AO is one of my main book sources, I'll probably buy them.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I would imagine Nook is better for free books in that it takes ePub format. Gutenburg has Kindle format but I have yet to come across a single readable book in kindle format from them - the software they use to translate generally seems to do a really poor job in the cases I've seen. :(

Guest RecumbentHeart
I chose the Nook for the same reason as the previous poster. Having a Nook allows me to use my local library to "check out" books on my Nook. I can not do that on a Kindle. Epub format is the way to go according to my research on this matter.

Oh, I still chose a Kindle and love it despite being entirely unimpressed at it's lack of ePub support.:glare:

HUGELY helpful, thank you! Are there a good amount of free books for the Nook, too? Some reviews say Kindle has more, but I guess it depends on type of books. I care very little about 'new' stuff. I am interested in this as a tool to read classics mainly. I want whichever one I can get more free good classics to read to my kids and to let them read on their own.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I've been barely awake each time I've come to this thread. :tongue_smilie:I just wanted to say thanks for sharing this deal. I'm probably going to get these. The fully functional table of contents and everything at once in one place is making it highly appealing considering my curriculum choices. At this rate I'm never going to save up money to buy new clothes though.:glare:

Guest RecumbentHeart
HUGELY helpful, thank you! Are there a good amount of free books for the Nook, too? Some reviews say Kindle has more, but I guess it depends on type of books. I care very little about 'new' stuff. I am interested in this as a tool to read classics mainly. I want whichever one I can get more free good classics to read to my kids and to let them read on their own.

I don't know the stats but I do know you can have other formats converted to Kindle format simply by emailing it to your reader via a certain email address but I haven't tested out how great the results are. Whatever they used on Gutenburg wasn't great but I believe that was translating from images rather than text which I've never had any luck with personally either. :tongue_smilie:Sorry I'm no help, I'm only half way through my first cup of coffee.

So, has anybody here gone ahead and taken advantage of this deal?

I bought an eReader this week so that I could but I'm not sure how it works. Can I download in ePub format and save that one my computer to put on various devices (like one in the future)? Or do I have to download directly to my device?

Ideally I'd like to be able to put these books on 2 eReaders but I don't own them both at this time.

Guest RecumbentHeart

Now on my second cup of coffee ... :P

I was just at Gutenberg comparing the ePub and Kindle versions of their free books and what I looked at was essentially the same. Unless further exploration showed much difference between the quality of the formats, I wouldn't let it sway my decision if I was the one contemplating a purchase.

Thanks, RecumbentHeart. So, in lgiht of this, it the YC deal being offered going to result in the books showing up much better on kindle and nook? I feel like I don't even know what I am asking, because I am still trying to figure all this e-reader stuff out. But, is the YC offer going to result in a much more readable book than gathering things off of gutenberg?

I wasn't even considering getting an e-reader until this deal came along, and now I am obsessing over which one to get- kindle or nook.

Which did you get, Jane?

I was considering buying an eReader for a while now- since YC came out with their deal for $150 for all the books. $99 is just that much better so it makes it worth it to buy something now.

I actually went out to buy the Sony eReader but was told that they're coming out with a WI-FI version in a few weeks so I'm going to wait for that to come out. I really like the features the Sony comes with and want my books in ePub since my library does have those available.

Instead, I'm going to buy a less expensive eReader for the kids to use as well (since they'll be doing most of the reading of the YC books anyways). Pandigital has a decent looking one that I'll likely end up with for them.

I won't be getting a Kindle for now as I want to get books in ePub format.

I just bought these - it's 13 zip files (or you can download all the titles one by one ... no thanks LOL)! I seem to be the odd one with a Sony eReader, I'm pretty happy with it, it reads both epubs and pdfs (when I purchased it the regular Kindle would not read a pdf).

I am thinking about a low cost reader for the kids in a year or two. I haven't opened the files yet (still downloading), but the sorted book list included is nice.

Oh, I still chose a Kindle and love it despite being entirely unimpressed at it's lack of ePub support.:glare:

I sure hope I didn't come across as saying that the Kindle was a bad choice! :001_unsure:

I was about to buy a Kindle and then discovered that I could use the library to check out e-books and I only could do that on the Nook. It all depends on what you are looking for in an e-reader. You honestly can't go wrong with a Kindle or Nook as most of the e-book providers do provide a Kindle version. Please forgive me if I offended. It was very late and I should have been in bed :001_smile:

Guest RecumbentHeart
I sure hope I didn't come across as saying that the Kindle was a bad choice! :001_unsure:

I was about to buy a Kindle and then discovered that I could use the library to check out e-books and I only could do that on the Nook. It all depends on what you are looking for in an e-reader. You honestly can't go wrong with a Kindle or Nook as most of the e-book providers do provide a Kindle version. Please forgive me if I offended. It was very late and I should have been in bed :001_smile:

lol No! You didn't! The :glare: was towards Amazon for not supplying ePub support, not towards you. :tongue_smilie: I was just clarifying my previous post. :D

Guest RecumbentHeart
I just bought these - it's 13 zip files (or you can download all the titles one by one ... no thanks LOL)! I seem to be the odd one with a Sony eReader, I'm pretty happy with it, it reads both epubs and pdfs (when I purchased it the regular Kindle would not read a pdf).

I am thinking about a low cost reader for the kids in a year or two. I haven't opened the files yet (still downloading), but the sorted book list included is nice.

Tell us ALL about it once it's downloaded. :D

I want both the Kindle and the ePub versions so as to have them on various devices - can you do that? ... They said they'll provide the other link free of charge if you make a mistake in your order ... hmmm ...

I'm impressed! The title and author are correct, as expected. When I opened the book (The Blue Fairy Book) the front cover is first - perfectly sized and centered, the book started with the main part - I think 2 pages of copyright and such, then the table of contents. No blank pages. The table of contents worked (yay!). The pictures in the book were perfectly centered and looked very nice. The text zooms and (AFAIK) was error free.

Compared to another epub I have from archive.org (McGuffey's First Reader). The first page is an image of the cover, slightly off center. Several pages to get to the beginning of the book (and the teacher's notes where scanned, I have good eyesight and I don't think I could read them with a magnifying glass). No table of contents (that's big for me - it's very hard to browse page by page in an ereader, you want to read straight through or get to the exact chapter easily). The pictures were small and left aligned (they might have been that way to begin with, but at least they were present). The text was abhorrent - gibberish, extra characters, poorly spaced (I'm deleting the whole file - no way could a child decipher it). Some kind of OCR I'm sure.

I don't use ebooks on the computer much, but in Calibre (my ebook manager) the title, author, front cover and description are all correct.

Anyway, I tried to be nitpicky. And I love archive.org, google books and gutenburg, I do not mean to complain about something that is free. However, you get what you pay for. If you want to read these books, they are well worth the price from Yesterday's Classics. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I'm impressed! The title and author are correct, as expected. When I opened the book (The Blue Fairy Book) the front cover is first - perfectly sized and centered, the book started with the main part - I think 2 pages of copyright and such, then the table of contents. No blank pages. The table of contents worked (yay!). The pictures in the book were perfectly centered and looked very nice. The text zooms and (AFAIK) was error free.

Compared to another epub I have from archive.org (McGuffey's First Reader). The first page is an image of the cover, slightly off center. Several pages to get to the beginning of the book (and the teacher's notes where scanned, I have good eyesight and I don't think I could read them with a magnifying glass). No table of contents (that's big for me - it's very hard to browse page by page in an ereader, you want to read straight through or get to the exact chapter easily). The pictures were small and left aligned (they might have been that way to begin with, but at least they were present). The text was abhorrent - gibberish, extra characters, poorly spaced (I'm deleting the whole file - no way could a child decipher it). Some kind of OCR I'm sure.

I don't use ebooks on the computer much, but in Calibre (my ebook manager) the title, author, front cover and description are all correct.

Anyway, I tried to be nitpicky. And I love archive.org, google books and gutenburg, I do not mean to complain about something that is free. However, you get what you pay for. If you want to read these books, they are well worth the price from Yesterday's Classics. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I really appreciate it. I've downloaded tons of free books with gibberish that I have ignored, but I want better for my children to read. This looks like a great deal. And thanks to the OP for letting us know about it!

Guest RecumbentHeart

FYI, I did get both formats. I bought the Kindle files and then emailed Lisa asking her if I could have the ePub version for use on a different eReader and she sent me a link.

I figured that might be useful to know if you can't decide on an eReader today - buy them, get both formats, and take your time deciding on which eReader you want.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Thanks so much, Kim. I downloaded the Nook stuff, and even downloaded a free book from Nook, but now how do I get the file from YC? How do I tell the Nook stuff on my computer that I also downloaded the free YC file to preview?

All I had to do was click the file to open it which brought up a window asking what to open it with and from there I selected the Nook app.

FYI, I did get both formats. I bought the Kindle files and then emailed Lisa asking her if I could have the ePub version for use on a different eReader and she sent me a link.

I figured that might be useful to know if you can't decide on an eReader today - buy them, get both formats, and take your time deciding on which eReader you want.

What email address did you use to get hold of her? THe one that the link comes from when you purchase the package? I'm going to ask about this too.