Menu

Sell me on HWOT

LittleIzumi

How is it functionally better than the jillions of handwriting workbooks, where dd knows the letter, traces the letter properly, and then writes her own unique interpretation of that letter:tongue_smilie: instead of what she traced? She gets the "easy" ones right. Should I just wait for her to get better at the harder ones with practice or would HWOT actually help?

ETA: We have little textured foam letters & she doesn't really "get" tracing them with her finger. She just wants to spell & say the sound with them.

Edited by LittleIzumi

I think HOWT is great. They have wonderful ways of teaching the letters, and group them in ways that help understand where they start (which is most of the battle). I also love that it is a handwriting curr that doesn't require too much too young. My dd and ds are learning to write but loving it instead of dreading tons of writing pages. It has certainly worked for us and one of the few things are are set for sure to continue next year! :)

For my DD, having the direct instruction of "Put this here, this here, connect in this way, and ONLY this way" and the grouping is essential-because otherwise, she draws each letter. And while they may look beautiful, it's slow and hard for her-and eventually she ends up being really sloppy just because she's so frustrated.

HWOT has removed that-it gives her the direct instructions that she needs to get the results she wants, consistently.

I'm new to this forum, but I hope my response is still "accepted".

I could probably go on for many pages about HWT. HWT teaches the letters in a developmentally appropriate way. Uppercase, simple stroke through lowercase, more complex letters. When there are words to practice, the words ONLY include letters already taught, which is a problem I had run into with other programs. The box format for uppercase nearly eliminates reversals, and makes number writing "easier". Every graphic in the book is printed left to right which is (obviously) how we read and write. The graphics are black and white, not distracting. It encourages quality over quantity. There is ample space for copying.

My 6yo hates any kind of writing. He didn't even color until he was 5! He will usually, willingly complete 2 pages of HWT at a time. He'll write neat, use the lines, and not have a tantrum about it.

I used HWT to remediate my 6 year old's handwriting. He was forming the letters incorrectly, having learned ball and stick in school but not having anyone watching how HE formed the letters. So he would go from bottom to top, do the right side before the left side, and consequently, he reversed several letters.

HWT teaches directions... For example, to make a 'd', you would start with a "magic c", fly up like a hellicopter, up higher, back down, bump. There is no reversing of the letter because he knows that a 'd' starts with a magic 'c'. The same goes for several of the other commonly reversed letters.

His handwriting is much neater now. I really like the print font.

Now that said, we are switching to Getty-Dubay Italics for cursive next year, and I might even teach my next son GDI print from the beginning. I'm still deciding that (he's a young 4, and I haven't worked on handwriting much yet). The two methods of forming letters are VERY similar. In fact, even if I use GDI for the 4 year old, I'll probably still use the little direction phrases from HWT. :)

I'm new to this forum, but I hope my response is still "accepted".

I could probably go on for many pages about HWT. HWT teaches the letters in a developmentally appropriate way. Uppercase, simple stroke through lowercase, more complex letters. When there are words to practice, the words ONLY include letters already taught, which is a problem I had run into with other programs. The box format for uppercase nearly eliminates reversals, and makes number writing "easier". Every graphic in the book is printed left to right which is (obviously) how we read and write. The graphics are black and white, not distracting. It encourages quality over quantity. There is ample space for copying.

My 6yo hates any kind of writing. He didn't even color until he was 5! He will usually, willingly complete 2 pages of HWT at a time. He'll write neat, use the lines, and not have a tantrum about it.

Wait wait wait. HWOT can fix reversals??? They include number formation too?? Her older sister still reverses her numbers half of time....

Wait wait wait. HWOT can fix reversals??? They include number formation too?? Her older sister still reverses her numbers half of time....

Yes. A child just learning to form letters and numbers, learns that there is one correct way to make the letter/number. That child does not reverse letters and numbers.

A remedial student would need to re-learn how to form the letters and numbers. How difficult it would be depends on the student.

Okay, so, if I wanted to try HWOT, what do I NEED for it? Assume I have about zero dollars, lol. I know I can make the "wooden" letters from cardstock. Could I use our small whiteboard for the slate, with a sticker at the starting point? Is the teacher's manual necessary or could I just get the student book, use the small whiteboard & cardstock letters & be set??

All numbers are written in the uppercase boxes.

If you go back to the earlier HWT book, Letters and Number for me (orange I think) and reteach in the order written, you may be able to toss the reversals.

Okay, so, if I wanted to try HWOT, what do I NEED for it? Assume I have about zero dollars, lol. I know I can make the "wooden" letters from cardstock. Could I use our small whiteboard for the slate, with a sticker at the starting point? Is the teacher's manual necessary or could I just get the student book, use the small whiteboard & cardstock letters & be set??

You can definitely make the wooden letters from cardstock, but to get the full benefit of the program you really should use a slate rather than the whiteboard. The purpose of the slate is to create a defined space for the letter with raised edges to show exact sensory-motor planning. The "bump" that kids feel from hitting the raised edge of the slate is part of the teaching process for HWOT in learning where to stop drawing/writing.

The TM I also consider necessary because it includes all these tidbits about the purpose of the slate and how to teach grip, etc. It really explains the whole philosophy and why from a sensory perspective each step is designed the way it is.

That said I don't think the 1st grade TM is necessary but the Pre-K & K ones I think are invaluable, otherwise I would not have used the components correctly. I would have thought they were superfluous and ds would not have gotten the benefits of writing the HWOT way.

While I have the teacher's manual for the K book, I haven't used it. For remediating my 6 year old, I just used the workbook. For the older child, go to the first grade book (if she's at least first grade level of writing). I had started with the K book, and found it to be too slow. The first grade book covers formation of all the upper and lower case letters, complete with the directions. It just moves more quickly into copying words and short sentences, whereas the K book spends more time on just individual letters.

I didn't use any other "stuff", and don't plan to for my 4 year old. He's already copying letters that I write, so I don't think he'll need that stuff.

You only need the workbooks. If your younger daughter is still in the tracing stage, you want the pre-k workbook and the k workbook. Pre-K teaches the strokes for capital letters and numbers via tracing. The K workbook teaches how to write capital and lower case letters and numbers.

The teacher's guide is optional. It does contain helpful hints, but most of them are more suited for teaching in a classroom setting. The slate and other materials are extras. Some children like them.

You only need the workbooks. If your younger daughter is still in the tracing stage, you want the pre-k workbook and the k workbook. Pre-K teaches the strokes for capital letters and numbers via tracing. The K workbook teaches how to write capital and lower case letters and numbers.

The teacher's guide is optional. It does contain helpful hints, but most of them are more suited for teaching in a classroom setting. The slate and other materials are extras. Some children like them.

My younger can write the basic letters on her own--T, I, H, C, B, P, D, etc. It's the M, W, S, N, E, R etc that give her trouble. She just can't keep track of all those repeats, or fudges something that looks close to her. And no lowercase letters yet. Would she just go into the K book then?

(Thanks for the help on all my questions, guys!!)

My younger can write the basic letters on her own--T, I, H, C, B, P, D, etc. It's the M, W, S, N, E, R etc that give her trouble. She just can't keep track of all those repeats, or fudges something that looks close to her. And no lowercase letters yet. Would she just go into the K book then?

If all those letters give her trouble, I would do the Pre-K book and then the K book. This is your dd with sensory issues, right? I would definitely do the whole program for her and start with Pre-K to solidify those letters. The upper case is only reviewed in K, it is really taught in the Pre-K book. There is no rush!

There is a real method to this program and while the workbook only approach may work for natural writers or kids who would do well with any program, it is not going to be as effective for kids who need additional direct writing instruction. The meat of this program is in the extras!!

Ok, I have to say I know I post about it often, but I love this program. We got the 3rd grade book, which I believe fits in nicely with "classical" as cursive is developmentally correct for this age. (Printing use to be for when you got to "mapping") You can do searches about development. I believe that Don Potter was one man I found that convinced me, along with Spell to Write and Read. (Bought theirs and it just didn't work for us. Too small and also it started at "2 o'clock" and that just didn't work with how he could write.)

The good thing about switching to cursive, if you'd been doing printing, is it gives you something NEW to teach and for them to learn. I went through the book with my 7 year old, who wrote as a kindergartener and wasn't reading until this October.

In about 2 months or so?? we had worked through the cursive book. I was worried that I hadn't given enough copywork to him, and yet I can say that he does his letters almost perfectly. I am so pleased with his writing. If I had things set to post pics, I'd show you :)

It was all under $20 and also with two workbooks would only be a bit more.

Oh... and one reason why it's good is that the letters are larger than some. AND, there is a trace and do yourself... trace and do yourself spot....(and on and on) so that they are continually doing a "premade" one and then one of their own... this helps with getting it correct. (Rather than just "one" letter at the beginning and then trying to duplicate it.... to the end of the line... which often times gets messier and messier.

And lastly, my son after about 5 minutes of me showing him the 2 choices the book has for holding his pencil... and showing him the "flip" trick... held and holds his pencil correctly. That would have been worth $20 to me. I'd spent money on pencil holders... special pencils...etc.

No money is given to me for my raves about this program :)

We love this for our lefty kid! The workbooks are set up so she can see what she needs to copy so much easier. For everything else I need to write it out and put it in a page up thingie so she can see it and not develop that hook so many left handed people get. I have been told by several leftys not to let her do that because it makes writing more difficult as she gets older because it hurts.

Last year we got the teacher's guide and student workbook "used" although the student book didn't have any writing in it at all.

My daughter was in a similar position. We bought the K teacher and student book and the 'Stamp and See Screen.' After reading a lot about the HWOT methodolgy, this seemed to give us the chalkboard experience without the chalk dust! Similar to the process they describe in the teacher's manual, I would have her use the small, magnetic wood pieces that came with the screen to form the letter, then trace with her finger, then use the magnetic 'chalk', then erase and write it herself (or fewer steps if she was already very familiar with the letter). This seemed to work well for us and has done a nice job fixing the pencil grip, starting from the bottom, and various other bad habits she had picked up in her Pre-K class! Since she is so young (4 yo) the gray blocks really helped her bound her letters. I've been very happy with the results! :lol:

Johanna

Ok i will try to convince you since you want someone to convince you :)

#1 it works. They goal in mind is to teach the proper way of forming letters. My 2 year old is doing upper cases now and can tell you in her sleep that all letters start on top :) And show you how to write letter F properly. We just started and she LOVES those chalk board, chalk and water.

#2. I like multisensory approuch to it. First you form letter with cut outs. You can but there wood ones or make yourself. I made it myself.

so first they try to build a letter from the lines

then they use chalk on the board

then they use wet sponge

then their finger

then paper towl

So with one setting they write letter at least 4 times. Then they are so eager to do it again :) Even if thet repeat it 3 times they already would have write the same letter 12 times!! i like it!

IMG_0954-1.jpg

#3 Its very affordable! VERY! For like $6 you get a whole book for the kids to write one. Plus you can make your own paper for it .

In my Blog i have downloadable paper for HWOT upper cases.

I would use HWT in a heartbeat with very young children wanting to write, or children who, for whatever reason, have difficulties learning to write. Confidence and legibility have to be of primary importance; however if these aren't an issue, I'd pass on HWT because I think the script is ugly

:leaving:

I have not read all 3 pages of this thread yet, but having just got home from the HWOT workshops I had to weigh in. HWOT is very focused on being developmentally appropriate, and multi sensory. Many other programs ae multisensory but where HWOT is different is that unlike writing letters in rice or shaving cream etc there is ZERO way for the child to make reversals. ALSO in the early levels (pre-K, K and even gr 1 to some extent), the focus is on the hands on materials NOT the workbook. Yes the workbook is used, but unlike other programs where the child fills out a row os lower case a's for example, the workbook only has 4 spots to write them AND it is done with the child following the adult who is writing it on the board, so it is copied correctly each and every time from a proper model. Before they touch the workbook the focus is on using the gross motor and sensory materials. THis is true right up throught eh 5th grade book, even at that stage it is a pattern of gross motor, sensory, then fine motor with modelling in the workbook. As you get intot eh 3rd grade worksbook, not only does it cover the transition to cursive, but you get inot grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure. In the 5th grade book you go latin and greek roots, writing autobiographies and such, poetry etc all through copy work and research while continuing to model correct grip, letter formation, neatness etc.

As for needs, For pre-K and K I would get the cd, any of the sensory materials you can afford(most can be made if you can not buy them), and the teacher guide. The student book is nice but at those levels is not an integral part of the program, so if you couldn't get it OR if your child simply is not developmentally ready in penmanship to do that stage it is perfectly normala nd acceptable to skip the book. For gr 1-5, I would get the teacher book, student book and cd.

2 words of caution. Penmanship in pre_k is taught with crayon or chalk ONLY, for K-5 it is pencil or chalk only. NO white boards, markers, pens, etc for the students. This is because they glide too smoothly over the paper so the child does not get the sensory experience of the pressure, the grit etc of pencils, chalk and crayons while developing the letter formation. This is as important in creating that muscle memory as the repeated practice of the letter.

I have not read all 3 pages of this thread yet, but having just got home from the HWOT workshops I had to weigh in. HWOT is very focused on being developmentally appropriate, and multi sensory. Many other programs ae multisensory but where HWOT is different is that unlike writing letters in rice or shaving cream etc there is ZERO way for the child to make reversals. ALSO in the early levels (pre-K, K and even gr 1 to some extent), the focus is on the hands on materials NOT the workbook. Yes the workbook is used, but unlike other programs where the child fills out a row os lower case a's for example, the workbook only has 4 spots to write them AND it is done with the child following the adult who is writing it on the board, so it is copied correctly each and every time from a proper model. Before they touch the workbook the focus is on using the gross motor and sensory materials. THis is true right up throught eh 5th grade book, even at that stage it is a pattern of gross motor, sensory, then fine motor with modelling in the workbook. As you get intot eh 3rd grade worksbook, not only does it cover the transition to cursive, but you get inot grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure. In the 5th grade book you go latin and greek roots, writing autobiographies and such, poetry etc all through copy work and research while continuing to model correct grip, letter formation, neatness etc.

As for needs, For pre-K and K I would get the cd, any of the sensory materials you can afford(most can be made if you can not buy them), and the teacher guide. The student book is nice but at those levels is not an integral part of the program, so if you couldn't get it OR if your child simply is not developmentally ready in penmanship to do that stage it is perfectly normala nd acceptable to skip the book. For gr 1-5, I would get the teacher book, student book and cd.

2 words of caution. Penmanship in pre_k is taught with crayon or chalk ONLY, for K-5 it is pencil or chalk only. NO white boards, markers, pens, etc for the students. This is because they glide too smoothly over the paper so the child does not get the sensory experience of the pressure, the grit etc of pencils, chalk and crayons while developing the letter formation. This is as important in creating that muscle memory as the repeated practice of the letter.

Thank you!!

I'm going to go ahead and get this program for my lefty. :)

I was wondering if someone could please tell me what the difference is between the Blackboard with Double Lines and the Slate Chalkboard? Do I need both? Which is preferable? Price isn't an issue and I have other kids that'll likely use this program so please let me know if it would be best to have both or which would be better? This would be starting with a very reluctant to write Pre-K boy. :tongue_smilie:

[quote name=swellmomma;2427692

As for needs' date=' For pre-K and K I would get the cd, any of the sensory materials you can afford(most can be made if you can not buy them), and the teacher guide. The student book is nice but at those levels is not an integral part of the program, so if you couldn't get it OR if your child simply is not developmentally ready in penmanship to do that stage it is perfectly normala nd acceptable to skip the book. For gr 1-5, I would get the teacher book, student book and cd.

This is very helpful. Thank you.

I'm going to go ahead and get this program for my lefty. :)

I was wondering if someone could please tell me what the difference is between the Blackboard with Double Lines and the Slate Chalkboard? Do I need both? Which is preferable? Price isn't an issue and I have other kids that'll likely use this program so please let me know if it would be best to have both or which would be better? This would be starting with a very reluctant to write Pre-K boy. :tongue_smilie:

The slate is used for Pre-K, K and part of grade 1 because it is designed for those learning uppercase and the ones that need a raised edge to know when to stop their lines. The double lined board is for once you introduce lowercase letters.

So for a pre-K boy I would say the slate, bitty chalk, flip crayons, roll-a-dough, stamp and see, cd and teacher book and of course the wooden peices and mat. You may never get to the student book if he is reluctant. The key at that stage of development is not filling in the blanks on the book, it is learning the correct letter name and formation so well they can do it with their eyes closed. The cd has the song to assist in the gross motor play and help the child learn right from left, body awareness and position words, all very important for learning letter formation.

For those still not convinced. Think about how you describe writing a letter E for a child. Draw a big line down, then make 3 lines across. 1 at the top, 1 at the middle, 1 at the bottom. There is several position, direction, and number words in those instructions, yet we never think to stop and teach the child what those things are before we expect them to learn to write a letter. FOr many kids this is no problem, they are naturals at copying the formations. But just as many kids are naturals at spelling look at how many struggle because they have never been taught the language (phonics) of the word. The same is for teaching printing/cursive. We need to make sure our kids know the language of printing inside and out before expecting them to follow the directions to write the letter.

Edited by swellmomma

This is THE most helpful post I have seen on HWOT. I ordered some of the stuff for K and it should be here this week, but I'm wishing I got the CD now. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to type this up, I'm excited to get started!

I also wanted to add for those using this or not sure how the usuage of it looks and you want to see how-to videos on the various products the hwtears website does have these available to view under the educators tab. Here is the page, or you can go straight to the website and find it for yourself. THese can be great if you are unable to attend a workshop or can't visual it from the teacher book and want to see it in action.