Menu

Susan Wise Bauer's Audio Lectures....worth purchasing?

jewel7123

I've only listened to/purchased the science curriculum and the writing for elementary years lectures so take the following with that in mind. :)

They were very helpful for me. Yes, it is the same information as told in the book but the 'why should I do it your way?' is explained or elaborated on more and she gives examples of real-life scenarios and applications that help me see how her ideas would really work in my homeschool. It makes the plans laid out in the book seem more concrete and realistic. She made some great points in the science curriculum that really hit home with me, namely what a grammar kid is capable of. From a developmental psych perspective (which is my background), she's spot-on..but I'd never thought of it that way!! I always find the lectures very enlightening and reassuring in my plans with dd. SWB always is very reassuring for me to listen to, though. Even her interviews or her peacehillpress youtube channel make me feel much more at ease with my hsing. SWB often makes me feel like I'm over-thinking and over-complicating things after listening to her lectures!! Which is a good thing, b/c I need someone to reel me in when I'm getting burnt out from trying to do too much, or frustrated when dd doesn't 'get it.' She keeps expectations realistic and helps me focus on my long and short-term goals. I've loved the two I've listened to so far and plan to buy them all. :001_smile:

I recently bought and listened to "Teaching children to work independently." It was the best $3.99 I have ever spent on homeschooling material.

Her advice was exactly what I needed to hear at this point in our homeschool journey, so your mileage may vary.

Thanks so much for weighing in!! I've been eyeing this one, and I'm glad to hear that it was beneficial to you! :)

I just bought several and have listened to The Joy of Classical Education and Science. They were both really good. Everything she says makes so much sense and I really love how she gives you details and "for examples" and instructions along with the method.

I plan to listen to A Plan For Teaching Writing for Grammar and Logic stages today since we are having a snow day :)

They are worth $4, for sure!

:iagree:

I've only listened to/purchased the science curriculum and the writing for elementary years lectures so take the following with that in mind. :)

They were very helpful for me. Yes, it is the same information as told in the book but the 'why should I do it your way?' is explained or elaborated on more and she gives examples of real-life scenarios and applications that help me see how her ideas would really work in my homeschool. It makes the plans laid out in the book seem more concrete and realistic. She made some great points in the science curriculum that really hit home with me, namely what a grammar kid is capable of. From a developmental psych perspective (which is my background), she's spot-on..but I'd never thought of it that way!! I always find the lectures very enlightening and reassuring in my plans with dd. SWB always is very reassuring for me to listen to, though. Even her interviews or her peacehillpress youtube channel make me feel much more at ease with my hsing. SWB often makes me feel like I'm over-thinking and over-complicating things after listening to her lectures!! Which is a good thing, b/c I need someone to reel me in when I'm getting burnt out from trying to do too much, or frustrated when dd doesn't 'get it.' She keeps expectations realistic and helps me focus on my long and short-term goals. I've loved the two I've listened to so far and plan to buy them all. :001_smile:

I have the three writing ones, the Great Books (history as literature) one, and the literary analysis one. Worth every penny. She makes this whole homeschool thing seem so very very do-able. I love the fact that I can use her suggestions with the material I have already; I don't have to go out and buy a whole new set of ____ .

I just purchased her 0.99 download of "The Joy of Classical Education" and enjoyed it. I'm now wondering about the rest of her audio lectures. Are they worth purchasing if you own The Well Trained Mind or will you be basically getting the same information as in the book?

ALL of them are wonderful, IMO! :D You'll get some of the same info., but told in a way that's different from WTM, and that gives you a different perspective or a new way of looking at/interpreting what's in WTM. And the writing ones have a lot more detail in them.

Definitely worth the $, unless there is a chance you could catch her in person at a conference?! ;)

I've seen her in person at the Midwest, bought the CD's at the conference, and ordered the others from PHP. Hearing the information makes it stick better for me than just reading in the WTM somehow. I think I have most of the lectures, and they are all very good. Like someone else said, hearing it makes it seem very doable.