Menu

SOTW audio

mo2

I finally broke down and bought the audio version of SOTW so that it would be easier to get done. And guess what? She HATES Jim Weiss's voice. Hates it. She literally cries and begs not to have to listen to it. When asked why, she sobs, "I just really don't like that guy's voice!" :confused:

Me too!! It's like he's being way too over-dramatic. It drives us all crazy. Which, of course, makes me really sad because we do a lot of driving and I was hoping to use it in the car.

SOTW, however, we all love. My kids would listen to it while they play legos, clean, drive in the car, etc. if it was someone else reading it.

I really wish SWB would let someone else do another version. Please, pretty please....(I need a cupcake smiley with a cherry on top;))!

To give a differing opinion, we enjoy the Jim Weiss versions and love them in the car for road trips:D I guess it is really true that we all have different likes and dislikes:)

I've heard some people just raving about Jim Weiss and I bought several of his recordings based on that. To each his own....but I really wish there was another option for SOTW, I'd really love to have it.:D

I didn't even know there was another narrator! I just hate that I wasted that money. I thought it would be nice for her to be able to listen to it while I was taking care of the little ones, etc, but it's not working out that way.

We borrowed Vol 1 from ILL and it was the Barbara Allen Jordan ones. My ds loved it, but I ended up buying the JW ones because everyone said they were so good. My son HATED the JW ones, I ended up selling mine and buying the other ones. I didn't know that BAJ didn't do the last two volumes. OH DEAR, we are IN TROUBLE!!!!

My son does like the short stories, however.

I just hate that I wasted that money.

Have you thought about reselling them on the for sale board? You could at least get some of the price back.

We like Jim Weiss's voice on his storytelling CDs. I don't know what his SOTW ones sound like since I've never been interested in buying them.

Are you on SOTW 2?

I hate to give out this link, because I sure hope there is still one there when I get around to ordering next years curriculum ;)

But, PHP has some original edition CD's for $19. 95. Don't take them all okay. :glare:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/originals

I am on SOTW2 but I just don't even have $19.95 to spend right now. I wish I could!

Have you thought about reselling them on the for sale board? You could at least get some of the price back.

We like Jim Weiss's voice on his storytelling CDs. I don't know what his SOTW ones sound like since I've never been interested in buying them.

I bought the mp3. :glare: I don't think I can resell them.

Our problem with his voice is that he speaks so dang fast, doesn't seem to even pause between chapters. Still, we listen to it and enjoy it. My husband does hate his voice. Our family would love a different narrator.

:iagree:We haven't be able to use it except to reinforce what I have read to them. I haven't been able to put my finger on why it seems to go in one ear and out the other. Narrating has got to be tough!!!

Oh, no, I was about to buy these as soon as I had enough extra cash. Someone warned me against the other recording and said to take the JW version. Now I'm confused. Is there anyone that has both and could send me a matching chapter of each so I can make an educated decision. Or maybe is there a way to hear a sample somewhere before buying? If worst comes to worst I'll make my husband record them when he reads to the kids.

Sooo funny - my boys love Jim Weiss too. We love listening in the car. They shush each other to be able to hear them!

:iagree: We thoroughly enjoy Jim Weiss here, too! Maybe you need to give it a little time? We've listened to several audio books that we didn't like the voice. But . . . after a little while we got used to it and even began to like it.

Yes. Something about his voice doesn't jive with me, either... I think he over emphasizes each word or something. But, I find that I enjoy the break from reading. I have to read out loud a lot with everything else we do, so it's nice to be able to use the audio version. My daughter doesn't cry, so it works well enough for us. :grouphug:

I don't like his voice, but my kids don't seem to have a problem with him. We have SOTW and MOH, both Vol 1, and they prefer the SOTW ones. I much prefer the readings in MOH, her voice is so calm and soothing to me, but it might be a bit too calm and soothing to them, KWIM? ;-)

I think he sounds a little sauced! We had been listening to the original CDs and were disappointed when we heard the Jim Weiss ones. We switched to Winter Promise for history.

Mid way through the school year we started hurting for SOTW. We listened to his samples a few more times, and decided that we HAD to go back. :D

We like him now.

Wow! Interesting thread.

I purchased the first volume because we were a little behind in the reading (reading lots of books!) Ds likes audio books so I thought I'd give it a try. He loved it! I proceeded to purchase the next 3 volumes with ds anticipating every one. As soon as I'd hand him a volume it was "thanks mom" and he was off to his room where he'd listen for hours while playing legos! Never had to schedule it, and now, three years after purchasing the first set, he still listens to them! I don't regret my purchase one bit. The kid knows more history than I ever did!

We have several other JW audio books as well. If ds doesn't like his vocals he hasn't mentioned it to me.

I finally broke down and bought the audio version of SOTW so that it would be easier to get done. And guess what? She HATES Jim Weiss's voice. Hates it. She literally cries and begs not to have to listen to it. When asked why, she sobs, "I just really don't like that guy's voice!" :confused:

So many people love his voice, and I'm fine with it, but both of my boys dislike listening to him. My youngest said he had nightmares about it. :confused:

my kids love Jim Weiss...I can see why some people would not--but I think we really got used to the sound of his voice, so now he's like a member of the family. :001_huh: We have just finished the VERY long In Freedom's Cause, and we also listened to the one about William the Conqueror called Wulf the Saxon. We have also listened to his fairy tales, stories from Shakespeare, Stories from the Renaissance, Treasure Island, and all of the first three volumes of SOTW. I'm sure there are others.

Based on the many recommendations in the forums, I purchased a number of Jim Weiss CDs, including SOTW 1. We have listened to them often. I have gotten a bit tired of his voice, but my daughter has never voiced any objection to him. Personally, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another CD by Jim Weiss, but I expect to buy the SOTW 2 CD by him soon.

May I ask everyone, whether you like JW or not, where you are from? We live in the south, and naturally talk a little slower but probably more animated, and I wonder if what you are used to hearing makes a difference as to whether or not you like JW?

We're originally from the west (OR and NM), grad school in the south (LA), and in the Navy for the last 11 years (HI, CA, VA, ME, NH, AK) so we have been all over. I didn't find the speed of delivery to be too fast or too slow, it was how overly melodramatic the JW reading was.

HTH:)

Wow! I never knew some people didn't like Jim Weiss! My boys LOVE him. In fact I think they'd listen to any CD of his, even if it was him reading the ingredients from cereal boxes! I am so thankful for him, and all of his CDs - the ones besides SOTW as well, but especially SOTW. My mom gave my 6-year-old Vol. 1 for Christmas last year and he requested various CDs from that volume probably 300 nights of that year! He knows his ancient history pretty darn well now.

We never noticed the speed of his voice being an issue.

Wow! I never knew some people didn't like Jim Weiss! My boys LOVE him. In fact I think they'd listen to any CD of his, even if it was him reading the ingredients from cereal boxes! I am so thankful for him, and all of his CDs - the ones besides SOTW as well, but especially SOTW. My mom gave my 6-year-old Vol. 1 for Christmas last year and he requested various CDs from that volume probably 300 nights of that year! He knows his ancient history pretty darn well now.

We never noticed the speed of his voice being an issue.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

For those of you who don't like the Jim Weiss audio version -- you can just read the aloud yourself. You can even read it slowly, without all the "drama" if you want. :lol:

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

For those of you who don't like the Jim Weiss audio version -- you can just read the aloud yourself. You can even read it slowly, without all the "drama" if you want. :lol:

Well, yeah, but it was supposed to be a time saving thing, giving me a little bit of extra time to work with the younger kids. Didn't work out that way. Trust me, my life has enough "drama." :lol:

Well, yeah, but it was supposed to be a time saving thing, giving me a little bit of extra time to work with the younger kids. Didn't work out that way. Trust me, my life has enough "drama." :lol:

Ha! Drama!! I hear ya, girl! Sorry the audios aren't working out for you!

Edited by Pylegang