Menu

Have you seen this on Obama?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the video until I saw someone holding a head of a decapitated man.

I would have appreciated a warning.

Ugh. I'm glad I missed that.

But that's what will happen, you see, if Barak Hussein Obama is elected. Decapitations. Better to know the truth now, no?

I'm sorry, I guess I'm in a sarcastic mood. A quietly sad sarcastic mood. That's the point of propaganda, though, I guess. To make associations stick in one's mind in order to persuade .

Ugh. I'm glad I missed that.

But that's what will happen, you see, if Barak Hussein Obama is elected. Decapitations. Better to know the truth now, no?

I'm sorry, I guess I'm in a sarcastic mood. A quietly sad sarcastic mood. That's the point of propaganda, though, I guess. To make associations stick in one's mind in order to persuade .

I never react right to propaganda. :lol: I wanted to vote for Wright just because he sassed Hannity.

Much of what's in this video is actually refuted on Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

and here he is refuting the claim he won't say the Pledge:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/28/AR2007112802757.html?hpid=topnews

What has Kennedy getting his name wrong got to do with Obama or the random black guy wearing a swastika shirt?

On not wearing the flag pin:

"You know, the truth is that right after 9/11, I had a pin," Obama said. "Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we're talking about the Iraq War, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest.

"Instead," he said, "I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great, and hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism."

That's only halfway through but I gotta get dressed to go out to dinner.

eta: more here- http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp

On not wearing the flag pin:

That's only halfway through but I gotta get dressed to go out to dinner.

eta: more here- http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp

the only part about the pin is it is one of two items that he has been seen wearing: a flag pin [that he used to wear routinely] and a wristband about a soldier killed in Iraq [one of a bazillion gifts received on the campaign trail].

He won't wear the flag pin, but he was proudly talking about the bracelet at the political rally we went to in Dallas a few months ago.

Now why can't he "show his concern for our soldiers" w/o wearing a bracelet like he can show his patriotism w/o wearing a flag pin??? It's the inconsistency that bugs me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/17/AR2008021700428.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/04/barackslapelpin.html

He won't wear the flag pin, but he was proudly talking about the bracelet at the political rally we went to in Dallas a few months ago.

Now why can't he "show his concern for our soldiers" w/o wearing a bracelet like he can show his patriotism w/o wearing a flag pin??? It's the inconsistency that bugs me.

To me these are two very different things. A bracelet given to *him* by a fallen soldier's family is very different from a pin worn by practically everybody in government. The pin is impersonal. The bracelet is personal.

The pin has become so common that it has lost its meaning. The bracelet represents a specific loved one, lost to his family. And that loved one represents the over 4,000 soldiers lost so far. That carries great weight.

It seems like everyone has those "Support Our Troops" magnets these days. I have one too but I think it carries more meaning beside the bronze star license plates on my car.

You can certainly disagree but they are completely different things to me and so it's not inconsistent to me.

To me these are two very different things. A bracelet given to *him* by a fallen soldier's family is very different from a pin worn by practically everybody in government. The pin is impersonal. The bracelet is personal.

i do agree that in general a pin is not that big a deal. I don't wear one. I didn't really care that HE stopped wearing one. But the reason it's become an issue is because he was given this one personally by a vet [who apparently felt it had quite a bit of meaning personally]. Obama even donned the pin once as some sort of token sign after public comments about it. But that didn't last too long. It's his statement about "i don't need to wear something to show my thoughts on this" but his actions don't back that up when it comes to the opposite side of the issue. i certainly don't begrudge him the right to wear or not wear whatever he wants, but i'd prefer a "i just don't feel like wearing a flag pin anymore" over some "i don't need physical tokens to show my feelings" stuff when he obviously breaks that principle.

and Dot, that poem kinda hits me the same way that this wristband would -- "i care about the troops cuz i have a wristband about a fallen soldier." o....k.....

again, i don't really care that he wears anything or not [wait, that sounds wrong lol], but when he says one thing about wearing something as a memorial and does something different to wear another object as a memorial, it just doesn't sound very consistent to me.

well, he's also worn a flag pin when it was given to him by a veteran...that was mentioned in the "debate" on ABC the other night. I don't see anything inconsistent in wearing a symbol that has meaning because of the individual it comes from as opposed to buying a cheap made in China flag pin and sticking it on so you'll look good for the cameras. I do think it's comically inconsistent that Obama and only Obama is constantly asked about it when neither of the other candidates regularly wears a flag pin, though.

My dc's attended a political education type event for 4-H and were given statements by McCain, Clinton and Obama. The replies were on various issues but, on homeschooling, both Clinton and Obama said, "No comment." That concerns me the most.

I mean, I wouldn't expect them to say it is the best because they obviously wouldn't win the election but they could have at least said something safe like, "It's a viable option for education."

Good Grief! Even as I type this, I am regretting getting involved in a political thread. I have to say that hearing from your children that at a 4-H function someone said that Obama answered, "No comment" about homeschooling is a really lame thing to repeat here as proof that of how scary he is. Here is how he really feels about homeschooling:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post_group/NewHampshireEducatorsforObama/CJxd

Good Grief! Even as I type this, I am regretting getting involved in a political thread. I have to say that hearing from your children that at a 4-H function someone said that Obama answered, "No comment" about homeschooling is a really lame thing to repeat here as proof that of how scary he is. Here is how he really feels about homeschooling:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post_group/NewHampshireEducatorsforObama/CJxd

I didn't see any direct answers in this link.

I didn't see any direct answers in this link.

"On page 344 of The Audacity of Hope, he writes: “none of these policies need discourage families from deciding to keep a parent at home…For some families, that may mean doing without certain material comforts. For others it may mean home schooling….Whatever the case may be, such decisions should be honored.â€

"On page 344 of The Audacity of Hope, he writes: “none of these policies need discourage families from deciding to keep a parent at home…For some families, that may mean doing without certain material comforts. For others it may mean home schooling….Whatever the case may be, such decisions should be honored.â€

I saw that but I did not feel it directly addressed his stand on whether and how homeschooling should be regulated. The rest of the article seemed to be someone else's opinion on what Obama's response to the issue might be based on her perception of him as "an open minded person".

I have no tools to debate this, I am only beginning to research the candidates at this point. The only thing I know is I don't trust McCain. As one who has traditionally voted Republican, this leaves me at a bit of a loss.

Just to let you know, noone "said" anything, it was specifically quoted answers from each of the candidates on various subjects. The program was specifically kept as neutral as possible. It was the children who picked up on this and wondered why two presidential candidates would send "no comment" on homeschooling but have a page answer on public education.

As we teach our children about the political process, I think we should expect them to seek out a candidates opinion on things that are of direct consequence to their lives. I know that is what I do, right or wrong.

Also, as I pointed out, this wasn't just Obama. My original post said it was both democratic candidates. I just wonder, if he said it in the book, why wouldn't he answer the same when asked a specific question?

I think the reason you rarely see candidates for national office speaking extensively about homeschooling is because it's not a federal issue. It's left up to the states to regulate right now, so there's really not much to be said other than what Obama has said: that it's a personal decision and should be respected. Unless a candidate is proposing federal regulation, I wouldn't expect them to have more to say than that.

I saw that but I did not feel it directly addressed his stand on whether and how homeschooling should be regulated. The rest of the article seemed to be someone else's opinion on what Obama's response to the issue might be based on her perception of him as "an open minded person".

I have no tools to debate this, I am only beginning to research the candidates at this point. The only thing I know is I don't trust McCain. As one who has traditionally voted Republican, this leaves me at a bit of a loss.

And I don't trust Senator Clinton. Just a nagging sense more than actual issues or incidents, which annoys me greatly. I HATE when I'm like this. And I keep dreaming about her, which is also pretty annoying. LOL

My sense about Sen. Obama is that he thinks hs'ing is a conservative Christian issue. (I mean, that it's *only* a conservative Christian issue.) Which makes me think that he knows little about it, which is, I think, a typical place for most Americans, even politicians. There are lots of little issues in the US, and this one just happens to be high on my radar so I think naturally it should be high on EVERYone's radar.

Frankly, I'm not sure I want the federal government to have an official stance on home schooling. I'm still considering that.

Just to let you know, noone "said" anything, it was specifically quoted answers from each of the candidates on various subjects. The program was specifically kept as neutral as possible. It was the children who picked up on this and wondered why two presidential candidates would send "no comment" on homeschooling but have a page answer on public education.

I wonder if it simply means he didn't have an answer prepared and didn't want to shoot something "off the cuff" which the press could twist around and use against him. Public schooling certainly has more problems than home schooling, and the country wants to know how the candidates are going to fix this broken system. Maybe they think homeschooling should be handled at the state level and is not a federal issue.

I see a number of legitimate reasons why these candidates might have "no comment".

And I don't trust Senator Clinton. Just a nagging sense more than actual issues or incidents, which annoys me greatly. I HATE when I'm like this. And I keep dreaming about her, which is also pretty annoying. LOL

I would vote for Homer Simpson over Sen. Clinton. I truly believe the Clintons should be in prison.

The pin has become so common that it has lost its meaning. The bracelet represents a specific loved one, lost to his family. And that loved one represents the over 4,000 soldiers lost so far. That carries great weight.

It seems like everyone has those "Support Our Troops" magnets these days. I have one too but I think it carries more meaning beside the bronze star license plates on my car.

The pin and magnets are common because most people believe in them. It shows solidarity. Just because many people believe in something does not make the belief less. Putting a magnet on my car shows to everyone I drive past that I support our troops. Obama wearing a flag pin shows to everyone that sees him that he supports American, without him opening his mouth. Actions speak louder than words.

That video really doesn't concern me too much. As so many have already said, it is pure propaganda with little or no concern for facts. It's all spin and no substance.

That said, I am concerned about what some of Obamas underlying attitudes and beliefs may be. I'm not any more concerned about him than I am about Clinton. In fact, I am more uncomfortable with Clinton. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. There are issues I disagree with her on, but it is deeper and more personal than that and has nothing to do with the fact that she's a woman. (I think I could have voted for Elizabeth Dole, but I didn't look into her record very much since she didn't go very far.) Pam and Beansprouts have already pretty much expressed my sentiments toward her. And the video? Well, from what I've seen from the Clintons, they could just as easily have put it out as any Republican. Yet I constantly hear about the tactics of the Republicans. It's really the tactics of career politicians. It turns my stomach.

That leaves me with McCain, and I am only slightly more comfortable with him than I am with Obama. It bothers me to vote for someone for that reason--someone I don't truly believe is the right person to lead our nation, but preferable to the other choices available.

The thing that struck me most and which concerns me most about the things presented in this video is the racial rather than the political divide. Why do we need black theology or hispanic theology or white theology? The Bible certainly does not present any such basis for belief and practice. The Bible clearly states that there is neither Jew nor Gentile but that all are the Church of God and the body of Christ. There is no allowance given for theology based upon race, nationality, gender, or any other division man may wish to impose. The Bible also states that God is no respecter of persons and speaks against division within the church.

I understand why people who share race, ethnicity, or common experiences might better identify with a pastor who is like them in those ways or how he, coming from that same background might be better suited to communicate with them. It makes me incredibly sad that anyone would think that someone outside of that background cannot identify with them or understand them and that they would feel the need for division based on who they are outwardly.

Finally, I would like to know how any of these people can call themselves theologians or men of God when so much of their preaching seems to be outside of God's Word. I am not just talking about Rev. Wright's sound bites that we heard. I've seen it in white churches as well. So much modern preaching seems to have moved away from teaching the simple truths of the Bible and into a commentary on modern life. Rather than teaching what the Bible says about how we should live, there are moral lectures based upon the belief system the teacher has devised for himself without aid (or with very little) from actual scripture. I have heard sermons in which only one or two scriptures are mentioned, and I have heard sermons which contain no scripture. To me they sound much like a political speech. I can't tolerate either for long without that sick feeling rising from the pit of my stomach.

Was the part about negotiating with terrorists true? That would have to be the dealbreaker for me, regardless of the accuracy of the other statements. It did bother me that they made Cain out to be the hero at the end..I would have preferred straight forward facts without the push.

He does want to sit down with leaders of other nations and talk. The spin on that is that this is negotiating with terrorists. So in my view, this isn't true. I would sincerely hope that whomever the next president is, he/she will sit down and TALK with all heads of state. Like, you know, civilized people should. (IMO)

Who is and who isn't a terrorist is pretty subjective these days. I mean, Don Rumsfeld had a chat or two or three with Saddam Hussein on behalf of then-President Reagan. I would say that lots of people consider Saddam a terrorist of sorts, particularly I would say the Kurds consider him one. So there's a history of talking to people. Not saying that's a good or bad thing, but we could say, "He hopes to open dialog with other nations' leaders" or we could say, "He plans to negotiate with terrorists." Which is true? Both? Only one? Depends on who is relaying the info? Aren't we currently talking to and negotiating with Kim Jong Il via front and back door channels?

I only have to remember the pics of Bush and the Saudi head of state walking hand in hand for me not to be too concerned with a president simply talking to another head of state. I think it would be fruitful to open dialog and listen.

Posted by Cheryl in MN:

The pin and magnets are common because most people believe in them. It shows solidarity. Just because many people believe in something does not make the belief less. Putting a magnet on my car shows to everyone I drive past that I support our troops. Obama wearing a flag pin shows to everyone that sees him that he supports American, without him opening his mouth. Actions speak louder than words.

You know, I was really taken to task twice after 9-11, once because I didn't have a support troops sticker on my van and once because I didn't fly the flag on the outside of our military quarters. Oh, and once because I dared question the wisdom of going to war in *Iraq*.

I had to chuckle, because I figured washing dh's BDU's *was* a patriotic act, as was attending army family support group meetings and ripping up my family and moving every 2-3 years and comforting my crying children when daddy shipped out in his desert gear. Oh, and you know, actually SUPPORTING the troops. A flag or a sticker can be obtained by anyone. Actions also speak louder than pins.

Anyway, I hear your point, Cheryl, but I understand his as well.

But you've simply linked one person's opinion, based on two small quotes taken out of context. None of them were regarding his views on POLICY.

I've contacted his campaign repeatedly, and spoken with the state rep here, and have gotten *no* concrete answer about where he stands on homeschooling.

It's frustrating to try to get the facts "from the horse's mouth" and get no answers.

But you've simply linked one person's opinion, based on two small quotes taken out of context. None of them were regarding his views on POLICY.

I've contacted his campaign repeatedly, and spoken with the state rep here, and have gotten *no* concrete answer about where he stands on homeschooling.

It's frustrating to try to get the facts "from the horse's mouth" and get no answers.

I'm interested to know if anyone knew President Bush's stance on homeschooling before he was elected. (Or, in fact, now. ??) What was his policy? And did it, pro or con or no comment, have any impact on homeschooling in the US in the past 8 years?

Putting a magnet on my car, imo, would say that I just bought a cheap piece of plastic and made China a few more pennies. I show my support, or opposition, to something based on ways that I deem better. This in no way means I think less of those who do, it's just not important to me. Being chided for not being patriatic enough would bother me, tho.

AMEN!!!

Was the part about negotiating with terrorists true? That would have to be the dealbreaker for me, regardless of the accuracy of the other statements. It did bother me that they made Cain out to be the hero at the end..I would have preferred straight forward facts without the push.

Well, he criticized President Carter for meeting with Hamas.

"That's why I have a fundamental difference with President Carter and disagree with his decision to meet with Hamas," Obama said. "We must not negotiate with a terrorist group intent on Israel's destruction. We should only sit down with Hamas if they renounce terrorism, recognize Israel's right to exist and abide by past agreements."

"Hamas is not a state. Hamas is a terrorist organization," he said.

You know, I was really taken to task twice after 9-11, once because I didn't have a support troops sticker on my van and once because I didn't fly the flag on the outside of our military quarters. Oh, and once because I dared question the wisdom of going to war in *Iraq*.

I had to chuckle, because I figured washing dh's BDU's *was* a patriotic act, as was attending army family support group meetings and ripping up my family and moving every 2-3 years and comforting my crying children when daddy shipped out in his desert gear. Oh, and you know, actually SUPPORTING the troops. A flag or a sticker can be obtained by anyone. Actions also speak louder than pins.

Anyway, I hear your point, Cheryl, but I understand his as well.

Exactly. I don't wear a flag pin but I've given up my husband for months at a time. I've held 20 year old widows in my arms. I've sent box after box after box of clothes, toys and schools supplies for the soldiers to take to schools near their bases. I think my actions speak volumes.

I'm interested to know if anyone knew President Bush's stance on homeschooling before he was elected. (Or, in fact, now. ??) What was his policy? And did it, pro or con or no comment, have any impact on homeschooling in the US in the past 8 years?

He's a supporter of homeschoolin', says he.

I realize that a president isn't going to have much day to day influence over homeschooling in my state and town. That doesn't mean I don't think their opinion on homeschooling matters, though. I think the reaction or stance one way or t'other is revealing, personally. And if they think it's wrong, or wrongheaded, fine - but will they support my right to make the decision for my kids? Ignorance about something that affects this many children in this country, and has been so prominent in the news latey? Well, that is unacceptable at this stage of the game, however common it may be among regular folks. These aren't regular folks, they're asking to lead this country.

And FWIW: Bush and Kerry both responded when I posed the same questions last go-round. Clinton has not, Obama has not, McCain's Senate office sent a form letter thanking me for my letter. But no answer. His campaign did send a two line "supports parental involvement and choices regarding education" form response. :rolleyes:

What I find interesting about the snopes links is that teh accusations against Obama are refuted by Obama's own words. I thought Snopes was supposed to research facts. Obama's words are just another side of the story, said for political gain, NOT facts.

You're going to have to be more specific, I'm afraid. They had videos of him with his hand over his heart at other events. Seems like a lot of facts to me.

As far as his faith goes, what would you have as "proof" other than your word? I've been to midnight mass, I've been to mass in Notre Dame. I've also visited a mosque. I'm neither a Catholic nor a Muslim.

You're going to have to be more specific, I'm afraid. They had videos of him with his hand over his heart at other events. Seems like a lot of facts to me.

As far as his faith goes, what would you have as "proof" other than your word? I've been to midnight mass, I've been to mass in Notre Dame. I've also visited a mosque. I'm neither a Catholic nor a Muslim.

And as for schooling:

I attended Bob Jones University. I was attended many services where Ian Paisley preached. But I do not think the Pope is the antichrist. (Or in the interest of fairness to Mr. P, *an* antichrist.)

But you'll just have to take my word on that. ;)

And as for schooling:

I attended Bob Jones University. I was attended many services where Ian Paisley preached. But I do not think the Pope is the antichrist. (Or in the interest of fairness to Mr. P, *an* antichrist.)

(Does the Bible say the Antichrist is a man?)

:leaving:

You know, I was really taken to task twice after 9-11, once because I didn't have a support troops sticker on my van Anyway, I hear your point, Cheryl, but I understand his as well.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that those who didn't show their patriotism visibly weren't patriotic. I was just trying to point out that an outward display of patriotism from a majority of people does not lessen it's importance.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that those who didn't show their patriotism visibly weren't patriotic. I was just trying to point out that an outward display of patriotism from a majority of people does not lessen it's importance.

Oh, no need to apologize, and I hope I didn't sound snippy. I really did understand your point. Their display is absolutely important for them, and I promise I didn't run around the neighborhood ripping off troop magnets and burning flags. :blink:

:001_smile:

:patriot:

And as for schooling:

But you'll just have to take my word on that. ;)

Can you really trust any politician's words? They will say whatever they think they need to to get what they want. The only proof Snopes offered for his father and step-father not being Muslim was Obama saying they weren't. He was raised by Muslim men in a mosque. No matter what his religious affiliations are now, this is the environment he grew up in. It has to have had an impact.

I know he had his hand over his heart in other pictures. He was also singing the national anthem in the pic where he wasn't putting his hand over his heart.

Every link I looked at the accusations against Obama were refuted by Obama. No independent facts were offered. I just don't trust the guy.

The Clinton's are horribly crooked and I agree with whoever said they should be in jail.

McCain is scary.

I'm worried about our country. I'm worried Obama will get elected. I'm shocked that so many people on this board support Obama. Not that I think that makes anyone a bad person, it's just not were I thought the politics of this board were!

Can you really trust any politician's words? They will say whatever they think they need to to get what they want. The only proof Snopes offered for his father and step-father not being Muslim was Obama saying they weren't. He was raised by Muslim men in a mosque. No matter what his religious affiliations are now, this is the environment he grew up in. It has to have had an impact.

Being a Muslim doesn't disqualify one from the Presidency, nor does being taught by Muslim individuals.

Also, the religion of someone's father has no bearing on whether they can hold the office of President.

The three candidates, are these our best and brightest? Are any of them really able to lead our country effectively? Can't we do better than these?

Seems like we should be doing better than this.

Not to knock them as people, but I don't really think that any of them can do the job. And that is frightening to me.

The three candidates, are these our best and brightest? Are any of them really able to lead our country effectively? Can't we do better than these?

Seems like we should be doing better than this.

Not to knock them as people, but I don't really think that any of them can do the job. And that is frightening to me.

Given how politics is run in the US, are you really surprised at who our choices are. The US has awful voting numbers, most don't care and are uninvolved. Someone the other day posted about the US Government being, "for the people by the people" yet, I often see it as by a "few of the people". If you have ever done volunteer work, you are familiar with this, the 10% - the few that actually step up to the plate. Why would our best and brightest be interested in running for public office given the circus politics really has always been.

Given how politics is run in the US, are you really surprised at who our choices are. The US has awful voting numbers, most don't care and are uninvolved. Someone the other day posted about the US Government being, "for the people by the people" yet, I often see it as by a "few of the people". If you have ever done volunteer work, you are familiar with this, the 10% - the few that actually step up to the plate. Why would our best and brightest be interested in running for public office given the circus politics really has always been.

I'm not surprised at all. Just very disappointed. In general, and with this election, specifically. I think that it is sad, and, in some ways, dangerous.