Menu

warriormom

We decided to homeschool when a local school reported that a male adult posed as a child. (That was the straw that broke the camel's back, we were also unhappy with what was being taught in schools and what wasn't.) Since then, we're slowly realizing all of the true benefits of homeschooling.

I don't know what personalities are best suited for homeschooling, but I believe that more people can homeschool than believe that they can.

I am uneducated (no college degree) and impatient. I am doing it, enjoying it, and my kids are learning. We're just at the beginning of this journey and I have a lot to learn, but I daily grow stronger in my resolve that homeschooling is the best avenue for our family.

I think anyone who has a desire to homeschool has the right personality. We all have our issues: introvert, can't-stay-home-itis, unorganized, overly type A, that can be a stumbling block.

I wished I could be homeschooled when I was in school. I found myself very unchallenged and bored. To top it off I was unprepared for the rigor of college. I always hoped I could hs my own kids when the time came. The why is essentially so I can teach them where they are at- above, below, whatever, I can give them an individualized education.

http://accidentalhomeschooler.blogspot.com/2005/12/on-sheltering-also-known-as.html

I wrote this rather impassioned article when I first started homeschooling, and it is still true today, though I have added quite a few other reasons along the way as well.

I believe my children are receiving a superior education from me. I am raising them in our faith, and believe that their worldview and how they relate to God and the world is of utmost importance. I love my kids and enjoy the time we spend together learning.

It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done, but I will have not one shred of regret for taking this path.

1. Religious reasons

2. I want to be the biggest influence in their lives.

3. My girls are very close. I don't want them to be apart that much.

4. Academics

5. Schools are like factories that produce clones IMO. I want my dc to be independent thinkers.

6. Schools are like jail for kids IMO.

I homeschool mainly for academics, and also so I can work on my children's character during these formative years where that is being developed. My son was in a private, Christian school, and I liked the content of what they taught (the religious beliefs were exactly the same as mine), but my son was bored and they really didn't have the ability to work with him as he needed (the teachers tried and did the best they could, but they had 16+ other kids to worry about also, and some of those were behind and *really* needed special attention). By homeschooling, my son can go at his own pace. I also wanted a classical education for him, after researching that philosophy, and the school he was at was very traditional school. Also, even though most of the kids in his class were pretty good (certainly way better makeup than a public school class would have), he was still bringing home occasional bad habits that he would not have picked up if he'd been at home. Again, character training. ;) Not to mention that when he was gone all day, he come home and be awful with his brother. Now that they're together all the time, they get along MUCH better, and I want to foster the sibling relationship.

Personality... I think most personalities can homeschool successfully if they're willing to put the time and money into it, as well as doing the necessary research (not that they have to research as much as I have... I tend to OVER-research :lol:). There are occasions when I've met a homeschool family that I thought really shouldn't be doing it, but that's rare. Most families are capable of being successful. I don't think a certain education is required or anything like that.

Both my husband and I were bored in school and wanted something better for our kids.

Now that we've been doing it for years, I have tons of reasons. Not only a better education, but the closeness that we experience as a family is huge. I love the flexibility, and I love being with my kids. I have also realized more and more lately that I'm really not very good at being part of groups with a lot of rules. :tongue_smilie: I could go on and on, but I'll spare everyone.

I think just about anybody can homeschool as long as they are committed and loving.

I started homeschooling originally because I had a gifted child bored to death in a gifted school. She loved her friends there, but became indifferent to learning anything new, her personality changed, and she lost so much of the enthusiasm she'd always had. This was 3rd grade. She homeschooled from 3rd -8th grades and it was the best thing we ever did - and as the years went by, my reasons to homeschool expanded immensely. It was going so well that my oldest dd decided to come home for a year and my ds also chose to start homeschooling in Kindergarten.

My kids then go on to public high school. It's their choice and has worked out wonderfully (NYC has a huge selection of incredible high schools). Homeschooling gave (is giving) them such an awesome foundation, not only academically, but emotionally and socially as well. They enter high school knowing and being proud of who they are Homeschooling has fostered their self-confidence, self-esteem, and independence that they seem to never let go of.

Edited by Abkjw01

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I want my children to focus on family, not peers. I'm not ready to have my children away from me for 7 hours a day. I want my child to be taught at her level, whatever that level is, for each subject. I want to choose the curriculum, not a board of people choosing "for the best of the state". I do not want my children to be taught things only to pass a test that the teacher is constantly worrying about due to it being tied to his/her contract and pay. I want my children to feel safe and comfortable where they learn. I want a family culture of education and learning in our house. I want to be there to share in ah ha moments and the wonder of learning new things. I want to be in control of our schedule and vacations, not a school. I could keep going...

I think it is helpful to be a planner when you homeschool, at least have a vision or end goal in mind, but rather than that I think almost anyone can homeschool if they have the desire to see their children well educated.

1. Intimacy - I wanted the benefit of family and individual intimacy that is only possible with tons of uninterrupted time with each other.

2. Identity - I wanted my children to be clear about who they are and who they were made to be. I believe young children decide who they are in the reflection of the metaphorical mirrors of those who surround them. I did not want my children to decide they are smart or stupid (or whatever) based upon the opinions of their same aged peers or a teacher who does not really know them.

3. Influence and imitation. I believe young children tend to be influenced by and to imitate the people they spend the most time with. I did not desire for my children to imitate or be influenced by other six year old people.

4. Individuality - I wanted my children to be able to learn at their own pace, consistent with how they were made, and not the pace determined by: the author of a curriculum, a teacher attempting to accommodate dozens of needs, or a government standard.

5. The Immeasurability of the most Important things in life. "Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts." (Einstein) The relentless obsession with tests and scores will singularly cause the ultimate demise of real education.Further, in our family, the most important thing in life that "counts" and can't be measured is God and we are allowed to talk about God all we want:)

Knowing exactly why I was homeschooling enabled me, early on, to be focused in my purpose. This knowledge also liberated me, when it was time to send my children to school, from lament. I had laid the foundation I wished to create. I knew when it was time for them to move to school-in-a-building (even though I had assumed all along I would homeschool through high school).

So many reasons...

Outside schooling takes up so much time. I didn't see the point in my kids being away for most of the day five days a week.

Flexibility. I like us being able to make our own schedule.

Fun. Homeschooling makes learning more fun for kids than going to school does. There are more opportunities for field trips, projects and hands-on learning.

Food. School food is usually lame. At home, I can make sure they're mostly eating healthy food.

I think anyone who has a desire to homeschool has the right personality. We all have our issues: introvert, can't-stay-home-itis, unorganized, overly type A, that can be a stumbling block.

I wished I could be homeschooled when I was in school. I found myself very unchallenged and bored. To top it off I was unprepared for the rigor of college. I always hoped I could hs my own kids when the time came. The why is essentially so I can teach them where they are at- above, below, whatever, I can give them an individualized education.

:iagree:

I made straight A's all through school with minimal effort. I had horrible study habits and no time management skills. College literally steamrolled me.

I could see my son following the EXACT same path, and since he was being educated in the same school system as me, I could see where that particular path was heading without much difficulty. He had to pay attention for approximately five minutes in class, did what was required and then apparently stared off into space (or chatted with his neighbors) until that topic had been mastered by all of the children in the class. This might be one lesson or several days.

In short, public school is taylored to the slowest child in the classroom. Also, I feel as though weaknesses that even the brightest children have can be sadly overlooked, as I am learning now that I am homeschooling my son. I have found his writing to be below grade level, and his attention span is microscopic.

I will also say that since Jan. 3 when we started, I have noticed a definite mellowing in my son's attitude, and it seems to be getting better instead of worse. Don't get me wrong--he is still an eleven year old boy, but there is a lot less arguing and I find we are becoming able to discuss things without having a fight. He's not exhausted at the end of the day, and he has learned as much in the past month as he did all this year at school.

Lastly, I doubt if anyone can say there is perfect personality for homeschooling. If you would have told me even five years ago that I would be homeschooling my son, I would have laughed right in your face. I am impatient, a neat freak, probably a control freak, and my husband says I have mild OCD. My son is a lot like me, so the atmoshere is ripe for conflict. However, it is by far the best decision I have ever made, and as I have said many times, my only regret is that I waited so long to do it.

My goals are completely different than the ps's.

Even if I sent them to ps, I would afterschool using most of the same materials I am now (I wouldn't trust that they would actually be *taught* the 3R's.;)).

My dc can complete a more rigorous day in much less time at home with me, leaving plenty of *FREEDOM* to develop their own individual selves. He can draw for an hour between math and spelling and not get into trouble for it.:lol: He can choose the next read-aloud. He can do impromptu science experiments as the mood strikes (Mommy, what would happen if...?), and the teacher (me:D) can revamp the rest of the school day/week to allow those teachable moments to be long and sweet.

My 3 dc are best friends. They will have each other for life. Plus, I am here 24/7 with them to teach them how to be loving and kind, how to stand up for themselves, and how to handle conflicts in a healthy manner...I call that "socialization":tongue_smilie:

dh has an unconventional work schedule. HSing allows them to spend plenty of time with their dad. (We played a family round of Monopoly at 10:30 am today, but dh won't be around after dinner.)

Personality? I don't think it's an issue of personality as much as it is having a healthy parent/child relationship. HSing is 24/7 parenting. That's the hardest part of it all for me (esp b/c I don't live near family at all). A rough patch with my sweet-faced dc permeates through dinner time and spelling alike. If you can parent 24/7 and educate yourself on how to educate, then you'll be a great HSer. imho.

How you HS???...now that is probably greatly determined by personality.

A combination of reasons:

Religious

Dh & my own experiences with the public school system and inability to afford private school at one time

Wanting our children to learn, love learning, and to teach them various views and sides to things...critical and logical thinking

Safety issues

Dh's work schedule. If the kids had been in school when they were younger, they would have never seen their dad. With homeschooling, we can plan our day differently and spend time as a family.

So many things we can see and do that couldn't be done as often if the kids were in school all day.

We're homeschooling because the school that would work for my DD didn't exist in the area. She could either be skipped ahead and put with older kids, or be bored with kids her age, or something between. Homeschooling lets us create the school that's right for her, right now.

Honestly, while all the reasons given above (academics, family identity, peer issues, etc) are also true for us, the main reason we ultimately ended up homeschooling is because after a year or so of reading about education and the school system it began to seem just downright weird to send my children to be educated by strangers, who could then dictate our family life--when we could vacation, when we had to wake up and what we spent our evenings doing, PTA attendance, selling wrapping paper and popcorn, being where we were told, when we were told. Really?

So, long story short, I am stubborn and independant, and I want to do things my way. Plus all the other worthy reasons aforementioned. Of course.

http://accidentalhomeschooler.blogspot.com/2005/12/on-sheltering-also-known-as.html

I wrote this rather impassioned article when I first started homeschooling, and it is still true today, though I have added quite a few other reasons along the way as well.

I believe my children are receiving a superior education from me. I am raising them in our faith, and believe that their worldview and how they relate to God and the world is of utmost importance. I love my kids and enjoy the time we spend together learning.

It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done, but I will have not one shred of regret for taking this path.

LOVE this article.

Personalization - my oldest was already advanced a grade and still not being appropriately engaged and challenged, but the social issues were hard for her. DS came along and he has a whole different set up needs, which I feel I can meet better than a classroom

Flexibility - my DH is an ER doc, and in the military, so his schedule is various and often includes long stretches away from home. We want to be able to spend time as a family when he's available, and have the ability to travel and spend time with family for support when he's away for a long time

Adventurous Education - I understand the logistics of managing a classroom, and they make field trips, labs, and other experiential education more difficult. HS we can do those things.

Time - the amount of time spent in public school is too much, especially when you get homework tacked on to that. I want my kids to be able to do extra curricular activities, but not at the expense of family time. With a shorter HS day, there is more time for them to pursue interests.

There are trade-offs. I miss the cooperative work that comes in a classroom where there are more students and those students have different backgrounds than my own. I miss some of the resources schools have, as well (everything from laminators in the teacher work room to district science fair competitions). There are also many, many excellent teachers out there, and I want my kids to learn from and build relationships with other caring and competent adults. I do my best to recreate these things in our school, but it isn't the same. BUT, I think the trade-offs are worth it to HS.

Anyone who is confident in themselves, and humble enough to look to good resources for help, I think can be successful at HSing. My own personality? Abstract-Sequential. Logical. I wouldn't call myself an introvert, but I am not a socialite either. I like to be in control of things, but I only step-up to take charge if there is no one else (I think) capable.

Because I believe I can provide them with a better education (with a Christian worldview) while also avoiding negative influence from the school; such as modern 'curriculum' and other kids (teasing and bullying). I want them to fill them with good things and give them time to be children.

I'm an introverted perfectionist. I also like to be in control. However, I think almost anyone could homeschool if they wanted to.

This describes me as well.

Amy

Public School is boring, takes all day, and keeps kids away from me for 9 hours 5 days a week. That was my initial reason along with safety issues.

It also exposes them to things that I don't want them learning at a young age. My dd's friends who are in PS (4th grade) are already telling her things that I don't want them sharing (even making obscene gestures). :glare:

I also want my children to stay children instead of turning into teenagers younger and younger. We don't allow Disney (or any other networks that cater to tweens or teens) in this house for the same reason.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I agree with just about every response above!

One of my big reasons was efficiency, and leaving lots of time for the girls to play. I place high value on time for kids to play and just be kids. I didn't want them stuck in school for most of the day, doing what could be done in a fraction of the time.

Dh's biggest reason was academic excellence. He works with high school kids applying to military academies and isn't always impressed by what he sees. He feels that kids being taught 1:1 have a better chance academically. A look at what our kids would be "learning" in ps continually reassures him about the benefits of hs'ing.

I also love the homeschool lifestyle. Lots of time together helps create a tight knit family.

As for personality, I think many types could be successful. It really is a choice, and just requires commitment to the decision made.

Thanks so much for posting this today. I really needed to read these and remember our original purpose!

I never thought I could homeschool primarily because I needed time to myself. When it was time to go to K, we sent him to a very nice "small-town" public school. I was way stressed out about homeschooling and God gave me a peace about PS at that time. Fast forward 1 year and I was psyched to think about homeschooling! God has called us to this adventure.

The 2 original primary reasons were:

1. I could not be involved in my oldest two dc's classrooms as I have other children without good babysitting resources. If in PS, I think mommy needs to be involved so they can truly know what is going on.

2. School gets out right in the middle of afternoon nap. 2:15pm. Didn't want my kids riding the bus as I feel that is where a lot of bullying and such could occur. Also need my 2 babies to sleep!

Only option was homeschool at that point and we have really enjoyed the other benefits (which are more important anyway). My husband was also bored in private school and wishes he could have been homeschooled. So much wasted time at PS.

The challenge for me is keeping up with the house. Homeschooling itself is easy and fun! This is a discipline, organizational, phlegmatic issue for me and it is an area that God wants to grow me. So God, have at me! I wanna grow! :D

So many reasons...

Outside schooling takes up so much time. I didn't see the point in my kids being away for most of the day five days a week.

Flexibility. I like us being able to make our own schedule.

Fun. Homeschooling makes learning more fun for kids than going to school does. There are more opportunities for field trips, projects and hands-on learning.

Food. School food is usually lame. At home, I can make sure they're mostly eating healthy food.

Add religion (gas to their Catholic school was killing me) and the fact that I don't like getting up before 7:30 a.m. Oh, and I like hanging out in my pjs. So do my girls.

Oh, and my oldest has some learning difficulties, by homeschooling we are able to work through them to find her learning styles.

1. I could not be involved in my oldest two dc's classrooms as I have other children without good babysitting resources. If in PS, I think mommy needs to be involved so they can truly know what is going on.

2. School gets out right in the middle of afternoon nap. 2:15pm. Didn't want my kids riding the bus as I feel that is where a lot of bullying and such could occur. Also need my 2 babies to sleep!

Only option was homeschool at that point and we have really enjoyed the other benefits (which are more important anyway). My husband was also bored in private school and wishes he could have been homeschooled. So much wasted time at PS.

The challenge for me is keeping up with the house. Homeschooling itself is easy and fun! This is a discipline, organizational, phlegmatic issue for me and it is an area that God wants to grow me. So God, have at me! I wanna grow! :D

Those were 2 reasons we quit PS K early!

Ditto to the rest as well. :)