Menu

Starting HSing next year and need curriculum advice!

MrsKriknav

Hello! I've been lurking on this board for a while now just reading and trying to decide my "plan of action" for next year. I will be doing Kindergarten with my oldest DD starting later in the summer. I have read through some of TWTM and I love everything I'd read so far. I would love to teach along the same methods that she mentions in the book. I'm just having a hard time narrowing down my curriculum choices. At first I thought about doing MFW(and nothing extra), but now I am doubting myself. Does MFW follow the methods in TWTM? I would love any and all suggestions and any advice you have for me! :)

Math is a hard subject to advise on w/o knowing your kids so good luck w/that one! If you KNOW your dd is a mathy and would be bored w/a lot of repetition, from what I've heard, Singapore is good. If repetition is key for your avg math student, give Saxon a go (knowing it takes A LOT of time and one-on-one work)...good luck :)

For reading, I 100% recommend Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading!!! I use the book, magnets (for the beginning), bob books (after the 1st 30 or so lessons), and a magna-doodle (others use white boards). The magna-doodle (or white board) is b/c the book is really busy and the lettering may be challenging to your K'er (not big enough). In fact, my K'er is on lesson 90 or so and she is just starting to read the stories out of the book (rather than me writing them down for her).

Writing - HWT: I found the teacher's manual to be helpful so I use that, the chalkboard, the workbook, and the curves & lines (I made them out of cardboard - there is a template in the teacher's manual).

History: I did geography last year w/my K'er & pre-K'er (look up the scope & sequence from K12 K History, get a globe & map, use your library & the internet & have fun!!!). This year, I am reading CHOW (Children's History of the World) w/o doing activities (we are going to do SOTW w/activities, etc. next year since mine are young).

Science: Kid-led. The goal was to do Mudpies to Magnets but it never happened. So, we did whatever was around us - a month of butterflies, flowers, farm animals, leaves, and birds - took pics, read TONS of library books, colored diagrams, printed out the pics, and made books...lots of fun!

hth! ;)

I started out using Five in a Row, Horizons K, Handwriting Without Tears, SOTW 1, Phonics Pathways and Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. In December I reallized some of it just wasn't working for us (various reasons) and made HUGE changes.

I kept HWT, and SOTW 1, switched to Little Hearts for His Glory, Singapore Math K, and Starfall, with extra art and science thrown in as I can. It has been a great change for us.

That is just to say that whatever you choose is NOT set in stone. Also, beyond SOTW, we decided to wait on most of TWTM suggestions till DD's 1st grade year. Everything totally depends on your child's current level though. Have fun looking.

For reading, I 100% recommend Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading!!!

Writing - HWT: I found the teacher's manual to be helpful so I use that, the chalkboard, the workbook, and the curves & lines (I made them out of cardboard - there is a template in the teacher's manual).

:iagree:I LOVE OPG - it is very well organized, easy to use, and it WORKS! I used HWT when my two oldest were just starting to recognize their letters and showing interest in writing and it was VERY good for their little hands - helped a lot to use the wooden blocks and the chalkboards.

WARNING: once you start researching curriculum, you'll NEVER stop! ;)

Best wishes and enjoy it - it is a WONDERFUL way of life!

:iagree:I LOVE OPG - it is very well organized, easy to use, and it WORKS! I used HWT when my two oldest were just starting to recognize their letters and showing interest in writing and it was VERY good for their little hands - helped a lot to use the wooden blocks and the chalkboards.

WARNING: once you start researching curriculum, you'll NEVER stop! ;)

Best wishes and enjoy it - it is a WONDERFUL way of life!

Thank you so much for your input! I have been wanting to know more about OPG and also wanted some feedback on it! HWT is also something I had been looking in to! You are absolutely right about about researching curriculum...it's pretty much all I do now when I am on my computer! It's so hard to narrow it down. I think my hardest decision will be what math to use!

Are there any particular math programs that look especially interesting??

Well I was looking into Saxon because from what I've heard/read, it uses lots of repetition. I struggled with math quite a bit in HS and college and I believe it's because I didn't have enough repetition. I'm hoping my kids take after my DH and don't struggle with math like I did. I just want them to have a good basis to build on. Sorry...I'm rambling! I also am considering Singapore and MUS. Suggestions and advice would be great!

Check out http://rainbowresource.com/index.php

They have cheap prices and reviews of just about every home school item imaginable! Their catalog is thicker than the phone book! But you can search those math programs and see their personal reviews (RR people) and reviews from other people (users).

The Singapore Math books that are popular for K are:

Essential Math

Earlybird Math

Beyond that, the Singapore Math generally discussed on this board is Singapore Primary Math.

Well I was looking into Saxon because from what I've heard/read, it uses lots of repetition. I struggled with math quite a bit in HS and college and I believe it's because I didn't have enough repetition. I'm hoping my kids take after my DH and don't struggle with math like I did. I just want them to have a good basis to build on. Sorry...I'm rambling! I also am considering Singapore and MUS. Suggestions and advice would be great!

I struggled with math as well (oh, and by the way, I was homeschooled and used SAXON!) I don't think it's necessarily a lack of repetition as much as having a lack of a good, solid foundation and understanding the WHYs behind it instead of just memorizing a bunch of facts. You should definitely check out RightStart math. http://www.alabacus.com/index.cfm

I am absolutely in love with this math curriculum, and my girls are too! My oldest ASKS me to do math first.....she told me it's her favorite subject. Now THAT'S what I want to hear, lol!

I also recommend Phonics Pathways for reading, Explode the Code for Phonics, The Child's Story Bible by Catherine Vos for Bible, Artistic Pursuits for art, and A Reason for Handwriting for handwriting. This year we don't have an actual history or science curriculum, but are just checking out lots and lots of library books on various topics. Next year we will be using Tapestry of Grace for history, and Living Learning Books for science (the old, first edition). Good luck and welcome to the board!

If you want something that has more repetition like Saxon yet the conceptual understanding of Singapore, and is also written for homeschoolers and doesn't take much time, I'd check out Math Mammoth. It doesn't have the "drill and kill" of Saxon, but has more repetition built in than Singapore. It also builds in the facts practice which isn't in the Singapore book. It's a worktext, meaning that you only need the one book for teaching from and working in, not a collection of books as you would in Saxon or Singapore...and much cheaper!

Phonics- I like Phonics Pathways, The Reading Lesson, and Reading Made Easy.

Handwriting- I really like New American Cursive (yes, for little ones!) and Getty Dubay Italics.

As for core curriculum, Heart of Dakota is open and go, super easy to follow, uses living books, does narrations, copywork, poetry, etc.

My best advice would be "just because it costs a fortune, doesn't mean that it's the best". But on the other hand, it doesn't mean it's not. Clear as mud, right?:001_huh:

I have used MUS for 11 years. My oldest is in Geometry. I also tutor public and private school kids so I can say that it is a wonderful math program. Even though math is my strong point, I love that Mr. Demme teaches each week. I toyed w/ other maths years ago and several people suggested not to skip around in math. You can change history/science even LA's, but pick a math program and stick with it. Of course right now you're trying to find what will work and that's fine. I'm talking about not changing every year. MUS teaches math, but it's different from other programs.

I didn't use MFW, so I can't say for sure, but from what I understand, it is more Charlotte Masonish than TWTM. Some people here seem to love it, especially for K and 1st grade.

For Ariel's kindergarten year we did Five in a Row, Right Start Math A (really good for kids who like/need hands on stuff and dislike worksheets), HWT, and a combination of Dancing Bears and Jolly Phonics. It's not particularly WTMish, because FIAR is unit studies, but Ariel really enjoyed reading the books every day and the art lessons. I also considered doing world geography with Galloping the Globe, but didn't have time to pull all the resources together.

If possible, I would avoid going with a complete "boxed" curriculum. Or just buy bits and pieces.

HOD is more Charlotte Mason than Classical, but I do beleive it contains some Classical elements. This method of teaching did not work for us.We started out mainly classical and changed quite a bit. I try to avoid narration, dictation and copy work when possible-especially for young elementary.

FIAR-Fabulous program! For K, you could just use Before FIAR and add OPG.

Some of the activities are subject related, such as Bible, science, math, language arts, and art; others are various skills such as learning shapes, sequencing, colors or problem solving, and the rest are centered on specific topics, like relationships, contentment, birthdays or another book-related idea. The second part of this book focuses on arming parents with creative ideas to build learning readiness.

Math and HW: CLE. The best I have found for my children.

Reading: OPG

We started out with a lot of classical curriculum and ended up switching.

Singapore to CLE

SOTW1 to FIAR

ARFH to CLE

WWE to WriteShop

Elemental Science to FIAR

Rod and Staff to Advantage Grammar

Natural Speller to Spelling Workout

Drawing with Children to FIAR

For K-you don't need much at all. I couldn't imagine spending more than an hour a day, if that, teaching.

Edited by OregonNative

Rainbow resources is great, definitely go to their website and order the catalog. It gives a change from sitting in front of the computer.

Even though it has increased my mail, I ordered tons of catalogs when I was getting started. I would go through them and put different color sticky notes (for different subjects) on what looked interesting. Then I made a list, per subject, of what looked interesting and then researched it. Know that no matter how much you research, there will be one or two things that just don't work, and that is okay.

Some of my criteria were:

What is the teacher guide like? Is it scripted, or at least give A LOT of guidance? I wanted a lot of hand holding for my first year, as I learn about teaching my kids I might break away from some of the more scripted things at a later date.

I took my son to look at my 2 final choices for some of the subjects, I asked him what looked interesting to him. That helped with a few things.

I looked to see what the progression was, if I liked it would I be able to continue with it next year?

Then reviews, did other people like it? Take this with a grain of salt though. I have seen a lot of bad reviews on the DVD for Prima Latina and Latina Christiana. However, my ds loves them and has been learning a lot.

Some catalogs to order

Rainbow Resources

Peace hill press

Memoria Press

Veritas

Evan Moor

Classic Academic Press

My Father's World

Calvert

Sonlight

home science tools

I turned some into links to help you find them. I am sure there are many more, but those are what has come to my mind off the bat

Since your daughter will be in K, I would only do formal Phonics/Reading, Math, and Handwriting with her. I asked my parents (teachers with combined 60+ years of experience) when I started homeschooling my oldest what they would do in a perfect educational world with kids in Kindergarten. Without hesitation they said, "Teach them to read, teach them basic math, and start handwriting the second semester." I followed their advice and it couldn't have been wiser!!

A good, focused foundation in those three subjects will be invaluable as they get older. If you really want to include science/history/art/etc., I would reccommend HOD Little Hearts for His Glory as a general outline for the "extras", but spend most of "school" on the meat and potatoes.

For reading I recommend Reading Made Easy (LOVE it!), for math I recommend Earlybird Math by Singapore Math (lots of fun, cheap, and a gentle introduction), and for handwriting, I love the Reason for Handwriting series Book K.

Just my two cents...Good luck with taking the curriculum buying plunge! :lol:

My DD has slowly started K in the past few months (in the fall she will be officially in K, but she has shown interest and so we started a lot of things already).

I heartily recommend OPGTR (as so many other have, I see!!). My daughter is reading so well now, mostly due to this program. I think it is worth a try, especially as it is so inexpensive. I also use Explode the Code to reinforce phonics. My son is in 2nd grade and is still using ETC.

I am another fan of Handwriting without Tears. The PreK book is great to start out with if your DD is new to writing. There are a lot of coloring actitivities, tracing letters, and basic "writing readiness". We are just about the start the K book now. This is another program that has worked well in our house, my son uses the 2nd grade book.

For math in kindergarten, I wouldn't worry too much. You don't really need a curriculum. I think it is a good time to explore math games and do a lot of real life math....counting, basic adding with some type of manipulative, how much do things cost kind of questions, coins, etc etc. I recommend Peggy Kaye's Games for Math and Family Math. You'll be amazed how much your little one will learn just by playing and doing. There's plenty of time for worksheets later on. During this time you can watch your daughter and see how she learns and how you teach, which will help you choose a first grade math curriculum.

Just focus on the basics, maybe spending an hour or so on school each day. Let her play, and explore other interests that she may have like art, music, whatever! In first grade you can step up a bit with more curricula if you like, but I do think the younger years are a good time to take it slow and have fun. They are still learning.

(for 1st or 2nd grade I recommend SOTW for history and BFSU for science-LOVE this) Good luck!! Researching curricula is part of the fun!!!! :D

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I never buy anything without first reading reviews at http://www.homeschoolreviews.com & I always visit the publisher's website for samples. There are a million great choices for kindergarten & what worked for me may not work for you - so I hesitate to make suggestions. Even with my own children, I have used different curricula so far (they're totally opposite personalities). I hope you have fun & keep it simple.:)

Susan

Since your daughter will be in K, I would only do formal Phonics/Reading, Math, and Handwriting with her. I asked my parents (teachers with combined 60+ years of experience) when I started homeschooling my oldest what they would do in a perfect educational world with kids in Kindergarten. Without hesitation they said, "Teach them to read, teach them basic math, and start handwriting the second semester." I followed their advice and it couldn't have been wiser!!

totally :iagree:! History & Science are just fun extras at our house that we do when interest peaks and/or there is time (not much of that these days!) :)

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but I never buy anything without first reading reviews at www.homeschoolreviews.com & I always visit the publisher's website for samples. There are a million great choices for kindergarten & what worked for me may not work for you - so I hesitate to make suggestions. Even with my own children, I have used different curricula so far (they're totally opposite personalities). I hope you have fun & keep it simple.:)

Susan

I agree with everything Susan said. Homeschoolreviews is awesome. I also will search posts here to read more about a certain curriculum when I am interested. I love hearing about things in actions, the likes AND the dislikes.

And it is hard to make suggestions when we don't know your children, so definitely read up on all of the choices! Try to only buy a few things to start...it is so easy to go overboard. Ask me how I know. :tongue_smilie:

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

I really love the approach, and it is easy to implement. We are finally doing science at our house. :)

Do a search and you will find many posts about BFSU. That is what finally talked me into it!

Huh, I didn't know about this! Does it have an evolution or creation slant in any way, or is it completely neutral? Could this be used as a supplement or is it too complete to use along with another science curriculum?

Huh, I didn't know about this! Does it have an evolution or creation slant in any way, or is it completely neutral? Could this be used as a supplement or is it too complete to use along with another science curriculum?

I wrote about it in my blog. It is completely neutral. The author takes the position that the actual science of evolution (not the theory itself) is too complicated, and it is his intent to teach the scientific method, not scientific theory in a vacuum. So he only includes topics that young children could actually observe or test.

I believe there are references to the age of the earth and solar system that might be objectionable to young earth folks, but it really stays away from the controversy. (OTOH, there are people on both sides of the controversy that think that leaving out this information is controversial in and of itself.)

I think that it would make for a fine supplement to any curriculum. However, as I came to understand the philosophy behind it, I simply would not be able to treat it as merely a supplement.

Since I am pretty new to homeschooling, I don't feel as qualified as some of these wonderful ladies to give you advice on your curriculum choices. However, I do have one small suggestion from my own experience. If you don't mind using secondhand materials, you will save yourself a TON of money buying from reputable message boards like this one.

When I started out, I thought I needed to have everything brand-new and still in the shrink-wrapped plastic for it to be 'good enough' for my little darlings. WELLL, after spending almost $500 to just get started and then realizing I would still need several other materials, I figured out that there were a lot of items that I could get in very good used or brand new condition right here on the 'for sale' message board.

I'm sure there are those who have not had a great experience with buying things secondhand, but I have had great luck. I've also purchased from www.homeschoolclassifieds.com and the homeschool section at www.vegsource.com.

You might also check your local library, too. We use Sonlight and I was able to get a lot of the books I needed right here at my local library.

Best of luck to you! Homeschooling has been such a rewarding experience for our family, and I hope it will be for yours, too!

:001_smile: Gayle

I'm not sure what your child knows already, but I started MFW K with my older dd. I find MFW K to be very, very slow. It really taught basic skills that she already knew - she basically already knew all the letters and sounds, so reviewing that was a bore. Then the math focus is mostly counting to 30 or so, I believe. The Bible/Science aspect was fun, but I had to make a switch, it was just slowing her down.

I ended up using Hooked on Phonics in Kindergarten then started with the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading in 1st.

For math, I did Horizons in Kindergarten, and started Saxon in 1st.

Be sure to check your Library. I have several options coming from my Interlibrary Loan system - I've got Phonics Pathways, and I'm waiting to get Hooked on Phonics K, Handwriting without tears teacher's book, and I know ours has Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. Ours also has Galloping the Globe and several others! It's a great way to preview things.

Have fun!

I'm new here myself :) but thought I'd share what's been working with us and echo that it all depends on your little one. You might not want to wait until a kindergarten "start date", but try things out a little at a time and see what works; esp. try to get things through your library first, or samples from websites and see how your little one responds ... we started ds5 on MUS when he was three because he loved numbers and wanted to learn more, and DH (a scientist) and I wanted to ground him in a good "feel"/intuition for math. We are very happy with the program, he loved Primer (this is optional, you can start with Alpha if she knows her basic numbers) and Alpha too.

I think MUS give a terrific, rigorous grounding in math concepts and can be adapted to your child's reading/writing abilities. I was briefly tempted by Singapore, but among other things this article convinced me to stick with MUS: the author gives a nice critique of the method. I do supplement with flash cards (homemade, or try the ones by Trends if your little one is distracted by extra print, many cards have the solutions printed tiny & upside down on one side which made them unusable for us) and math Wrap-Ups, as well as reviewing Math-U-See songs during our circle time. -- if this sounds onerous, it's not, DS or I just pick one review tool to use most days during "circle". When we don't review regularly ds retains concepts but facts slip away and he gets frustrated. I have found we can make good progress doing MUS 2-3 days/week, and move at a good clip when we do 5 days.

I must say, the Ordinary Parents' guide was terrific for teaching letter sounds but DS hated the sentences, which didn't make much sense to him. We've been happiest with Phonics Pathways, supplemented with the homemade games suggested and Reading Pathways, and Free & Treadwell's "The Primer" reader which I found via Ambleside Online.

Edited by serendipitous journey

Since I am pretty new to homeschooling, I don't feel as qualified as some of these wonderful ladies to give you advice on your curriculum choices. However, I do have one small suggestion from my own experience. If you don't mind using secondhand materials, you will save yourself a TON of money buying from reputable message boards like this one.

When I started out, I thought I needed to have everything brand-new and still in the shrink-wrapped plastic for it to be 'good enough' for my little darlings. WELLL, after spending almost $500 to just get started and then realizing I would still need several other materials, I figured out that there were a lot of items that I could get in very good used or brand new condition right here on the 'for sale' message board.

I'm sure there are those who have not had a great experience with buying things secondhand, but I have had great luck. I've also purchased from www.homeschoolclassifieds.com and the homeschool section at www.vegsource.com.

You might also check your local library, too. We use Sonlight and I was able to get a lot of the books I needed right here at my local library.

Best of luck to you! Homeschooling has been such a rewarding experience for our family, and I hope it will be for yours, too!

:001_smile: Gayle

:iagree: I always try to at least CHECK for used materials in nice/like new condition before buying new. Some things I insist on buying new - Sonlight Instructor's Guides, for examle - I want the "latest and greatest" because I'll be saving it to use in a couple of years with my younger ones. And know this: if you make a purchase that you regret or just doesn't work out, you can ALWAYS sell it on the boards! :001_smile: Knowing this has saved my sanity many times.

Some things I insist on buying new - Sonlight Instructor's Guides, for examle - I want the "latest and greatest" because I'll be saving it to use in a couple of years with my younger ones. And know this: if you make a purchase that you regret or just doesn't work out, you can ALWAYS sell it on the boards! :001_smile: Knowing this has saved my sanity many times.

:iagree: