Menu

Beginning to research high school biology...

Which high school biology do you like best and why?  

1. 1. Which high school biology do you like best and why?

• Campbell's Exploring Life
    • Campbell's Concepts and Connections
    • Campbell's Biology (Daddy Campbell)
    • Miller/Levine
    • BJU
    • Oak Meadow
    • Science Shepherd
    • Other

I have a dd who eventually wants a career working with animals, yet she hasn't decided on a career path. She LOVES horses, and she has a heart for animal rescue. We're looking at anything between an animal rescue officer to vet. She'll be in 8th grade next year, and I'm trying to get a feel for the high school biology curriculua we might want to use.

We will try Algebra I in 8th. Math gets done, but it doesn't come easily. I want a college prep path, but I have NO idea about the AP route.

Truly, I would like something that I do not have to teach. We've used BJU Life Science with DVDs this year, but they were not a perfect fit with dd's personality. ( I LOVED them!) She's made As and Bs in this class.

We have the opportunity to use a church homeschool cover that offers high school classes. They use all Apologia. I'm concerned that Apologia would be too chatty and that it would not get us as far as we need since it doesn't teach anatomy/physiology. BUT, it would take ME out of the picture.

Other than Apologia, which biology text would be:

• college-prep
  • lab
  • appropriate in the event she wants to persue career as a vet
  • best for independent study (hands off for mom)

My next question would be how to implement, but that might be a different thread once I choose something.

I've heard/read about:

• Campbell's Exploring Life
  • Campbell's Concepts and Connections
  • Campbell's Biology (Daddy Campbell)
  • Miller/Levine
  • BJU
  • Oak Meadow
  • Science Shepherd

....but, I'm not sure where to start my research. What do you all like best, and why??? I would be happy to hear about secular and Christian science. I'm ALL ears!

OUr math/science history and tentative plan:

7th: Lial's BCM and BJU Life Science

8th: Lial's Intro to Alg. I and CPO physical science (chemistry and physics)

9th: Open, but taking the next steps: geometry and biology. NEED RECOMMENDATIONS

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

no clue. just a few others things to put on your radar for down the road....

One of my local friends ended up using some online intro Vet and Animal Care courses through Harding University (in Arkansas) for her 12th grader for science because she wants to be a vet eventually.

So, I wanted to mention that exists for down the road

harding u, online non credit vet class

and you might look into the DIVE series for some of it too with the less mom involvement and college prep.

http://www.diveintomath.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?listcategories=action&parent=DSCI

-crystal

:lurk5:

I don't have a vote but have a request. I would love to hear also if you used a video/dvd with it and if you added additional lab kit/dvd/etc.

I get confused sometimes with all the options. I know people use BJU but use the DVD's or they use BJU but use the DIVE CD.

or some have bought seperate disection videos or specific lab kits.

We are so fortunate to have so much available to us but it can get so overwhelming to find the best fit.

Thanks!

:bigear:

We've used Exploring Life and Biology Concepts & Connections. I much prefer Exploring Life for the first Biology unless a student is very talented in science. Exploring Life is thorough, nicely paced and easily understanble.

Concepts & Connections had to much focus on Connections to me and was too complex to be done as a 1st Biology. It is definitely non science major college level and would be best done after an initial bio class.

I'm just :bigear: because I am planning Biology for next year too. I am planning to use Biology Concepts and Connections. We did BJU Life Science in 7th and I think it gives a very strong background for Biology.

Thank you Mama Lynx for that plan - I think it will be a great place to start planning. Did you use the Lab Manual from PH? If so, did you need the TM for it? I've been trying to decide what to do for labs.

We've been following this plan, which uses Concepts and Connections:

http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/biology-hs-level/

We are very happy with it, so far!

Mama Lynx, thank you so much for posting this! I've spent just a few minutes investigating parts of the lesson plans.

I'd like to know how "easy" it is for both teacher and student. Do you do the experiments? Are they "easy" to do.... expensive? Is it easy to grade? Where are review question/quiz and test answers?

The one slight frustration that I've noticed is just waiting for an 8 minute NOVA program to load. It plays for 5 seconds then pauses for 10. I'm sure this must be better on a faster computer. Ours is apparently quite slow.

So... can I get some of you to chime in on the "easy" factor? Is it easy to implement?

You know your daughter best, but I am just throwing it out there because I am not sure how many people think of doing this. My ds loves science, so we started Biology this past summer (before 8th grade). Maybe you were already thininkg about this, but if she is interested in becoming a vet this would allow her to take more advanced classes in high school. We are using Apologia with the DVD apologia sells (it is Dr. Rosenoff's class and you can also purchase the most updated version from hid site at Red Wagon Tutorials.) The CD has added A LOT to this program. The lectures are 3 hours per module (I break it up inot two days). The CD also includes MANY extras. It doesn't bother me that Apoligia doesn't include human anatomy because Apologia's advanced text is Human Anatomy and Physiology and will cover the subject much more thououghly than a few chapters in another book (and if ds does AP Biology he will get it then). But, I also think Science Shepard looks wonderful :). I would encourage your dd to take an advanced anatomy course if she is interested in being a vet. It will make college easier (but chemistry and physics are important, too :D). I am planning chemistry now, and it is all so overwhelming!! Blessings!

no clue. just a few others things to put on your radar for down the road....

One of my local friends ended up using some online intro Vet and Animal Care courses through Harding University (in Arkansas) for her 12th grader for science because she wants to be a vet eventually.

So, I wanted to mention that exists for down the road

harding u, online non credit vet class

and you might look into the DIVE series for some of it too with the less mom involvement and college prep.

http://www.diveintomath.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?listcategories=action&parent=DSCI

-crystal

IME, these pre-vet type classes are largely a waste of precious school time for a truly pre-vet student. If your student wants to prepare for vet school admissions, she'll need gobs of hard science. Get going on biology, microbiology, chemistry, physics, calculus, stats, and APs in as many of them as possible. If you want a non-traditional science for extra, anatomy, physiology would be good, too.

Look on a vet school website for courses required in undergrad -- it's a LOT of bio, etc. Prepare for that. I'd aim for pre-med classes instead of pre-vet, as the pre-vet attract a lot of so-so students, but pre-med will be mostly top students.

IME, these pre-vet type classes are largely a waste of precious school time for a truly pre-vet student. If your student wants to prepare for vet school admissions, she'll need gobs of hard science. Get going on biology, microbiology, chemistry, physics, calculus, stats, and APs in as many of them as possible. If you want a non-traditional science for extra, anatomy, physiology would be good, too.

Look on a vet school website for courses required in undergrad -- it's a LOT of bio, etc. Prepare for that. I'd aim for pre-med classes instead of pre-vet, as the pre-vet attract a lot of so-so students, but pre-med will be mostly top students.

Ok Stephanie, I'm becoming weaker and weaker in spirit as I consider the seriousness and heaviness of these courses...:ohmy:.

I hope this comes across the right way when I say that I need (want) a science that "drives itself". I don't want to have to teach high school science. I'm intimidated enough about homeschooling high school without the daunting task of preparing for pre-med:scared::D!

I know about DIVE, and BJU has DVDs, of course. There are internet programs... The choices seem endless, and the hope of making that choice has countless consequences.

I'm not crazy about DIVE, my dd isn't crazy about BJU. We both will undoubtedly have to compromise somewhere.

This is going to be tough. Please keep suggestions coming.

I'm glad you've found it helpful! I'm glad to answer specific questions about that course, feel free to pass them on via the comment section of the blog so others can benefit from the answers.

Sarah M.

quarksandquirks.wordpress.com

Yes, helpful as in "you saved biology in our homeschool." :lol:

I cannot thank you enough for posting those lesson plans!

We started the year with Oak Meadow's Biology, but my science-loving daughter thought the Holt textbook was too dumbed down. So now she's using the Hippocampus Biology course as a spine, adding in other books and a couple of Teaching Company courses.

The *best* money we spent this year was on the biology lab kit from Labpaq.

Sailmom, I've explored Hippocampus and LabPac just a bit. I've loved what I have seen. Would you be more specific and tell me what extra books you use, the name of the Teaching Co. course you use and which LabPac you bought? I want to look into this further.

Also, PLEASE.... tell me HOW this method of doing biology is effective... the pros/cons... anything you would change. I'm definitely trying to find something that only leaves me to check on work because I am not quailfied to teach these high school sciences.

I feel like we'll have an awesome foot-in-the-door for highschool biology since we've used BJU Life Science!

Do you feel like your science would be AP?.... or prep for AP biology???? This is also something I really know nothing about.

We have been very successful and happy this year with the DIVE w/ BJU combo. My dd did some shadow programs (we thought about having her go to private high school,) and she was amazed at how much more she is learning than the students in Honors Bio at the good private schools.

I have a good friend who is very happy with Greg Landry's Biology. She did it last year and is doing Chemistry this year.

I voted Oak Meadow, but the only other biology course I've used was Miller/Levine. Miller/Levine was way too difficult for me. I'm a math and science person, but biology is too squishy for me. The Miller/Levine text is used for honors classes here. The Oak Meadow biology course (uses Holt Biology) worked much better for me.

I didn't care for the labs in Miller/Levine or Oak Meadow. I bought a Castle Heights Press lab book, but I didn't like that either. I recommend going with Labpaq for your labs.

We're going to use BSCS Biology: A Molecular Approach. I like the emphasis on cell and molecular biology as that is the essence of modern biology. The text is also easy on the eye, without a lot of flashy sidebars. The graphics are simple two dimensional representations of structures that actually aid in understanding, rather than the artistic endeavors that characterize other texts.

We're going to use BSCS Biology: A Molecular Approach. I like the emphasis on cell and molecular biology as that is the essence of modern biology. The text is also easy on the eye, without a lot of flashy sidebars. The graphics are simple two dimensional representations of structures that actually aid in understanding, rather than the artistic endeavors that characterize other texts.

Kai, I am looking for a science that is college prep... maybe AP... (I know nothing about this) for 9th grade science. I have to prepare for a career choice ranging from animal rescue to vet. DD wants to work with animals but hasn't decided exactly how.

I need something that doesn NOT require me to teach. I also want labs. Does BSCS Biology fit these requirements? I went online to look at it, but the web site isn't friendly to visitors.... you've got to have a password.

Kai, I am looking for a science that is college prep... maybe AP... (I know nothing about this) for 9th grade science. I have to prepare for a career choice ranging from animal rescue to vet. DD wants to work with animals but hasn't decided exactly how.

I need something that doesn NOT require me to teach. I also want labs. Does BSCS Biology fit these requirements? I went online to look at it, but the web site isn't friendly to visitors.... you've got to have a password.

It's honors level, but not AP, as it doesn't cover the prescribed AP topics. The book has labs in the back, but they are intended for classroom use. I think you could get the stuff and do them yourself, but it would require a lot of prep. As for not teaching, it is a standard textbook, so it really depends on whether you daughter is comfortable learning by reading a textbook.

There was a sample chapter online back a month or so ago, but I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

We closely compared Miller/Levine to Campell Exploring Life and found the latter to be more understandeable and less cluttered.

We compared Miller/Levine Biology to Campbell Concepts and Connections and my son chose CCC.

He's in 11th and found it to be more his level. He likes a challenge, but didn't do the Daddy Campbell because he already had enough on his plate.

Joan

We've been following this plan, which uses Concepts and Connections:

http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/biology-hs-level/

We are very happy with it, so far!

Mama Lynx, I've been exploring the site.... This is very interesting!

I hope you won't mind answering a couple of questions.

One of MY goals is to find a biology that is college-prep (maybe AP...) that dd can do on her own. This is a BIG deal to me. I say that only because I don't feel qualified to teach high school biology. I don't mind monitoring it, but I don't want to teach it. BTW...how much harder is Concetps and Connections compared with Exploring Life? We'll have finished BJU's life science 7th grade science; I don't know if that means we'll go into regular college-prep biology or if we could possibly go into AP. (I feel so silly asking this; I just don't fully understand the differences between these levels of biology.)

Given this fact..... when the lesson plans say something about "do the questions and we'll discuss them in the next class..." YIKES! Does that put the teaching back on my shoulders? What materials would I use to help me discuss??? It seems that the teacher who uses these plans has to participate to some degree. Would you tell me how much teacher involvement is needed?

Labs: How much time, effort and money is involved in labs? I want to do some, yet I don't want to break the bank.

Overall, how *easy* is it to implement this biology? Is it AP or does it prep for AP???

I've compared the interactive features of this plan with Khan Academy and with Hippocampus. This one seems to be the most varied and therfore most interesting. I also like Khan and Hippocampus..... it's just that I'm thinking dd might "see" things better with this.

I hope you can share more specifics with me; I really like this idea.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Can I barge in on your thread Sweet? I've been following it with great interest.

Joan,

Can you tell me what your son liked better about CCC than Miller Levine? was ti that it was more challenging, the layout? What were his preferences? I want something with roughly the challenge of ML, but if it were less cluttered that would be a plus!

:lurk5:

I don't have a vote but have a request. I would love to hear also if you used a video/dvd with it and if you added additional lab kit/dvd/etc.

I get confused sometimes with all the options. I know people use BJU but use the DVD's or they use BJU but use the DIVE CD.

or some have bought seperate disection videos or specific lab kits.

We are so fortunate to have so much available to us but it can get so overwhelming to find the best fit.

Thanks!

:bigear:

Grace, please forgive me..... I was just re-reading answers to this post when I realized that I didn't answer your question.

I'll tell you what we've done. We use BJU 7th grade Life Science with the BJU DVDs. In addition to that, I looked through the teacher materials and made a list of the supplies from the labs I thought we would do. I bought these from Home Science Tools.

If you go to their web page, you can search 7th grade science, and the BJU 7th grade Life Science info should pop up. There is a list of EVERYTHING you *could* buy for life science. Don't buy everything. In fact, I overbought and I only got a few things. I purchased some staining "stuff" and protein/starch indicators and other stuff that I can't remember right now. All I really needed was 3 earthworms (for dd and her 2 younger brothers), 1 frog, and a dissection kit. We already had a microscope, and we've used it several times. You wouldn't have to have a microscope, but it's a lot of fun if you have curious kids. We purchased the one from Sonlight.

I don't think there is a DIVE DVD for life science. There is, however, an investigations DVD that you can purchase at CBD for $109, I think. I'm sort of going on memory. I have not seen this at all, but I understand that it is a DVD of Mrs. Vick doing the experiments only.

I'm very happy we went with the full BJU Life Science curriculum with the DVDs. It is terribly expensive, and it's aweful to think of having to send the DVDs back...... "renting" them is the worst thing about the whole deal. My kids have learned sooooo much- beyond science. I also mean study skills, time management, note-taking, test-taking, etc....

Let me know if I didn't answer any questions you may have. Again, I'm sorry it took this long for you to get an answer.:001_smile:

I didn't vote because I don't have a favourite yet. Dd chose Apologia over BJU because she hated one of their other science courses. It is okay, but I don't love it for us (thought it was too easy for my science minded dd) and thought the labs were too easy. Many of them are more middle school level, eg extracting DNA from peas. I wanted to go between one of the Campbell's texts or BJU. If I do Apolgia with my second dd, I'll add the DIVE program with it. She's not interested in most science, so I don't know if I'll buy something else for her. I'm not sure what I'll do with ds yet, but I have a few years to go with him.

Thanks for posting that Kai. I think seeing the actual content of books is by far the best way to make a decision.

I know that molecular biology is becoming more and more of a focus area, but it is much less concrete than standard biology and I think that makes it much harder.

Honestly, no, we haven't been "teaching" it. We honestly meant to keep up with the readings and lead the discussions, but we have been unable to. I am teaching high school Latin and Great Books to these same kids, and I"m swamped for prep time, plus I have three other kids of my own to teach! And my co-teacher teaches Latin, Greek, and middle school science at our co-op, so she is swamped too.

We do do the experiments together. There are only two students in our "class." We talk about the experiments and the concepts as we do them. So far, they seem to be learning. We're about to give them the first exam.

I have to run - will come back later to answer more fully :)

I finally found the sample chapter. Here's the link: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/science/biology/bscs/index.html

Thanks, Kai! I'm curious why you chose this book over traditional biology such as Campbell or Miller Levine.

Are you "teaching" it? How are you doing labs?

Kai, you were very helpful on another thread several months ago when I was asking about physical science. I decided that I liked and thought we could do better with CPO physical science (as opposed to using Hewitt Physics). Yet when I see how much chemistry is involved in the 9th grade biology texts, it makes me wonder if a whole year of chemistry would be more helpful. The problem with that is that we'll be doing Alg. I in 8th too, so I would have to have a chemistry that A) is not math dependent and B) would prep enough for 9th grade biology.

Do you have any idea if the chemistry in CPO physical is enough to prep for 9th grade biology?

Grace, please forgive me..... I was just re-reading answers to this post when I realized that I didn't answer your question.

I'll tell you what we've done. We use BJU 7th grade Life Science with the BJU DVDs. In addition to that, I looked through the teacher materials and made a list of the supplies from the labs I thought we would do. I bought these from Home Science Tools.

If you go to their web page, you can search 7th grade science, and the BJU 7th grade Life Science info should pop up. There is a list of EVERYTHING you *could* buy for life science. Don't buy everything. In fact, I overbought and I only got a few things. I purchased some staining "stuff" and protein/starch indicators and other stuff that I can't remember right now. All I really needed was 3 earthworms (for dd and her 2 younger brothers), 1 frog, and a dissection kit. We already had a microscope, and we've used it several times. You wouldn't have to have a microscope, but it's a lot of fun if you have curious kids. We purchased the one from Sonlight.

I don't think there is a DIVE DVD for life science. There is, however, an investigations DVD that you can purchase at CBD for $109, I think. I'm sort of going on memory. I have not seen this at all, but I understand that it is a DVD of Mrs. Vick doing the experiments only.

I'm very happy we went with the full BJU Life Science curriculum with the DVDs. It is terribly expensive, and it's aweful to think of having to send the DVDs back...... "renting" them is the worst thing about the whole deal. My kids have learned sooooo much- beyond science. I also mean study skills, time management, note-taking, test-taking, etc....

Let me know if I didn't answer any questions you may have. Again, I'm sorry it took this long for you to get an answer.:001_smile:

Thanks so much!! Very informative!

Grace

Thanks, Kai! I'm curious why you chose this book over traditional biology such as Campbell or Miller Levine.

Are you "teaching" it? How are you doing labs?

Kai, you were very helpful on another thread several months ago when I was asking about physical science. I decided that I liked and thought we could do better with CPO physical science (as opposed to using Hewitt Physics). Yet when I see how much chemistry is involved in the 9th grade biology texts, it makes me wonder if a whole year of chemistry would be more helpful. The problem with that is that we'll be doing Alg. I in 8th too, so I would have to have a chemistry that A) is not math dependent and B) would prep enough for 9th grade biology.

Do you have any idea if the chemistry in CPO physical is enough to prep for 9th grade biology?

I almost went with Miller and Levine, but my son *hates* anything that even hints at being made for kids or teens--and Miller and Levine has pictures of people "working" inside a cell and as well as things that are specifically targeted to young people.

But the new Miller and Levine has a similar approach to Biology: A Molecular Approach, with the focus on cell and molecular biology and much less focus on organismic biology and classification and that sort of thing. I much prefer the new approach (being a biochemist in a former life) as I think it gets to the heart and beauty of biology much better than all the body plans and dissections of the old days.

I haven't reviewed CPO physical science yet, though I have their life science book sitting on the shelf ready to go for next year for the younger one so I'm not sure exactly what level things are covered at in it. I'm pretty sure that a solid middle school chemistry background would be sufficient for the biology book we'll be using. You need to have some understanding of atoms, molecules, ions, pH, and that sort of thing. But there is no balancing of chemical reactions or any of the more difficult aspects of high school chemistry. In fact, I'm quite sure that the books are written with the idea that the kids who are going to be using them *don't* have a strong chemistry background.

Because my son has some learning disabilities, I have decided to actually attempt to "teach" biology next year, rather than go through the book like we normally do. He will also read the book, but he will also have the benefit of my "lectures" or whatever you want to call them. For labs, I think we'll use the LabPaq BK-105 and possibly the virtual labs that go with the book.

I almost went with Miller and Levine, but my son *hates* anything that even hints at being made for kids or teens--and Miller and Levine has pictures of people "working" inside a cell and as well as things that are specifically targeted to young people.

But the new Miller and Levine has a similar approach to Biology: A Molecular Approach, with the focus on cell and molecular biology and much less focus on organismic biology and classification and that sort of thing. I much prefer the new approach (being a biochemist in a former life) as I think it gets to the heart and beauty of biology much better than all the body plans and dissections of the old days.

I haven't reviewed CPO physical science yet, though I have their life science book sitting on the shelf ready to go for next year for the younger one so I'm not sure exactly what level things are covered at in it. I'm pretty sure that a solid middle school chemistry background would be sufficient for the biology book we'll be using. You need to have some understanding of atoms, molecules, ions, pH, and that sort of thing. But there is no balancing of chemical reactions or any of the more difficult aspects of high school chemistry. In fact, I'm quite sure that the books are written with the idea that the kids who are going to be using them *don't* have a strong chemistry background.

Because my son has some learning disabilities, I have decided to actually attempt to "teach" biology next year, rather than go through the book like we normally do. He will also read the book, but he will also have the benefit of my "lectures" or whatever you want to call them. For labs, I think we'll use the LabPaq BK-105 and possibly the virtual labs that go with the book.

Thanks, again, Kai! I found a web site where I could view several tutorials on Miller Levine Biology. (I didn't register to view a chapter because I just can't agree to the Terms and Conditions...)

I really like parts of Miller Levine... the mystery hook is intriguing. The teaching of different note-taking strategies seems very useful. The practice standardization tests would probably help us out tremendously. BUT...does it have so many "helps" that biology gets lost in all of the pictures and games? It was just my first impression.

I know that many on this board choose a secular biology to expose students to evolution concepts while they are still at home. That makes a lot of sense. Yet... I just wonder if a Christian text could be used with secular helps like Thinkwell, Khan Academy, or Hippocampus. That way, a Christian text is the base but evolutionary concepts could also be studied. It may be a silly idea. I posted this question, and it hasn't gotten any hits.

I kind of like Science Shepherd. It is written by a doctor who wrote his biology text from a factual view....."biology happens whether you believe in Creationism or evolution." If I understand correctly, SS doesn't have many (if at all) Biblical references in his text. His curriculum is written to the student and has labs and a DVD for lab instruction. It does NOT require a parent although a parent can be involved in as much or little as she wants. So, I'm just thinking, use SS (written by a Christian author) and use Khan Academy (secular) to explain the topics in the SS TOC.

I'm writing this for your or anyone else's view on this idea.

Sweet Home,

You mentioned in your post about BJU Life Science/DVDs that your children have learned much more than science in this course. Does the course teach note taking, study skills, etc. or did you add that?

1Togo, the course does not teach note taking. We did "add" that in. We have been using SWB's middle school writing, and my kids have been writing outlines this year. BJU Life Science text is written in outline form, and can be outlined.

Also, at the beginning of the year, dd and I would both take notes in a notebook as we listened to Mrs. Vick. That made the video last FOREVER because we had to stop it to write important points down. After posting questions about it here, we were inspired to change our method. Now, dd takes notes with her text book open. Mrs. Vick mostly follows the text as she lectures.

DD watches for the information in her book as she listens to Mrs. Vick. She underlines and numbers......much in an outline form. There are some notes she has to write in, but not many. This way, dd can see at a glance the information Mrs. Vick thought important enough to mention and study what might be put on tests. This form of note-taking has been more effective for us.

If you have any other questions, just let me know!:001_smile:

Sweet Home,

Thank you. I am searching for Biology for next year as well. We're using BJU Earth Science (print materials only) this year and like it. I want to add a teacher component next year for oral notetaking, but the BJU DVDs seem like they will add too much time. Also, I haven't investigated the secular texts mentioned on this thread, but I want tests and a teacher manual. We are doing lots of outlining this year as well, but I don't use textbooks for that -- just a variety of non-fiction books as they apply to our studies. I do use the science textbook for notetaking.

Sweet Home,

Thank you. I am searching for Biology for next year as well. We're using BJU Earth Science (print materials only) this year and like it. I want to add a teacher component next year for oral notetaking, but the BJU DVDs seem like they will add too much time. Also, I haven't investigated the secular texts mentioned on this thread, but I want tests and a teacher manual. We are doing lots of outlining this year as well, but I don't use textbooks for that -- just a variety of non-fiction books as they apply to our studies. I do use the science textbook for notetaking.

To be sure, BJU Life took some getting used to, but please don't disregard it. In the beginning, we were spending at least an hour with the video and note-taking ALONE! (Then there was homework after that!) It was crazy. Something had to give.

After we changed our note-taking method, the video is now taking between 30-45 minutes. Now, you must know that my younger sons, 5th and 2nd, are watching these too. Sometimes we stop the video just to discuss the content. There is every reason to believe that you could watch the video and underline the text in as little as 30 minutes (sometimes more- just depending...) once you find your groove. There is definitely a learning curve, but BJU Life Science has been the BEST class for us. I think the skills we've learned (far and above the content alone) will help us for years to come.

Sweet Home,

Thank you. Going back to look at the BJU video. Did your children read and do all the activities, etc. with the BJU text? That work plus studying takes dd 45 minutes to 1 hour per day. I don't want to stretch science to two hours by including a video component. However, when I look at Dr. Shormann's syllabus for DIVE Biology, the sample weekly schedule suggests 2+ hours per day for science. High school looks like it's going to take more hours, and some of the extracurricular stuff has to go.

Btw, we like the look and feel of the BJU science textbooks. They have the format of ds's college textbooks, so I think they will be good prep. Abeka is a good text, but not at the same level as BJU, and Apologia, which I am condering, is chatty - not like a college textbook.

Sweet Home,

Thank you. Going back to look at the BJU video. Did your children read and do all the activities, etc. with the BJU text? That work plus studying takes dd 45 minutes to 1 hour per day. I don't want to stretch science to two hours by including a video component. However, when I look at Dr. Shormann's syllabus for DIVE Biology, the sample weekly schedule suggests 2+ hours per day for science. High school looks like it's going to take more hours, and some of the extracurricular stuff has to go.

Btw, we like the look and feel of the BJU science textbooks. They have the format of ds's college textbooks, so I think they will be good prep. Abeka is a good text, but not at the same level as BJU, and Apologia, which I am condering, is chatty - not like a college textbook.

1Togo, we're following the assignment that Mrs. Vick gives. It is very predictable most days: read the next section in the text and answer the end-of-section questions. At the end of a chapter there are chapter review questions. Sometimes dd has to read an investigation in the back of her book to prepare for an activity for the next day. We've dissected an earthworm and a frog this year which took extra time.

I was going to ETA to add about 30 minutes for homework on top of the video. I just wanted to make sure you thought about this, and, of course, you did! :D

We've used Exploring Life and Biology Concepts & Connections. I much prefer Exploring Life for the first Biology unless a student is very talented in science. Exploring Life is thorough, nicely paced and easily understanble.

Concepts & Connections had to much focus on Connections to me and was too complex to be done as a 1st Biology. It is definitely non science major college level and would be best done after an initial bio class.

:iagree:I own the 6th edition of Concepts and Connections and it very much an AP Biology/Biology II course. In my opinion, it is much too advanced for the average 9th grader.

My DD is now attending public high school. For her Pre-AP Biology I, they used the Miller Levine book. They will use Concepts & Connections for AP Biology.

:iagree:I own the 6th edition of Concepts and Connections and it very much an AP Biology/Biology II course. In my opinion, it is much too advanced for the average 9th grader.

My DD is now attending public high school. For her Pre-AP Biology I, they used the Miller Levine book. They will use Concepts & Connections for AP Biology.

THANK YOU for sharing this! I thought this might be the case, but I wasn't sure. Can you tell us anything about the Miller Levine book..... how it was used, pros, cons, scheduling info, componants to use or to leave off, etc....?

THANK YOU for sharing this! I thought this might be the case, but I wasn't sure. Can you tell us anything about the Miller Levine book..... how it was used, pros, cons, scheduling info, componants to use or to leave off, etc....?

I'm sorry, but I really can't tell you much about the Miller Levine book. My DD used it in public school for their Pre-AP Biology. I will tell you that her teacher did have the kids do a project every 6 weeks that was related to what they were working on. One of DD's project was to bake a cake that was shaped and decorated to look like a cell. It was really neat, the kind of thing that a homeschooler would do! :lol:

I will tell you that I will be using Miller Levine for my DS when he gets to 9th grade Biology.....assuming that he's still being homeschooled. :tongue_smilie: For our 7th grade Life Science we will be using Prentice Hall Science Explorer Life Science.