Menu

My 14 y/o son wants to work. Other than...

the local supermarket, what kind of jobs hire 14y/o's? (He can get his work permit at 14

in Mass)

In our part of MA the only supermarket I know of that hires 14 yo's is Market Basket--are there others? There is a local dance store here that does, but the teens have to be dancers. I'm going to watch this to see, since in our town it's even hard to find people who hire 15 yo's.

My children have made a fair amount of money pet sitting for a few of our neighbors. This works great because they don't rely on me for transportation. I think its wonderful for young teens to have responsibilities and to have an opportunity to manage money while still at home.

lawn mowing, snow shovelling, dog walking, house sitting, paper delivery. . .

Whether a 'real' business will hire them depends a lot on your local economy. Here, in a college town in WV (with relatively low unemployment -- now around 6%, but before the rececession around 3%), I don't know of any 'real' jobs that hire under 16, or even 18. College kids have a tough time finding jobs, and highschoolers are usually out of luck. This is in contrast with where I grew up (N VA) where just about any kid could easily get a paying job at a variety of places (fast food, retail, groceries, even professional offices).

We own a vet hospital, and won't consider any hires under 18 under normal circumstances. The only exception we've made was for a girl who volunteered for a couple years (14-16) and then we offerred her a paying job at 16. Now that we've been in business longer, we don't even allow volunteers under 18 except in rare circumstances (we know the family very well & are doing them a favor). When I was 15, I got a paying job at our family vet, so I know it used to be done, and maybe is still done at other hospitals, but not at ours.

FWIW, our reasons to avoid teen hires & volunteers are 1: it's too much trouble to supervise them -- highly paid staff puts in a lot more time supervising/training/keeping safe than we get 'out' of the volunteer in work & 2: the safety issues are very real for every person & patient in any animal hospital -- everyone depends on each other to protect them 3: without a work history, it is very hard to judge a potential candidate's reliability, work ethic, etc. We can't afford to be training ground for basic work habits when we are such a highly trained (read expensive in paid-staff-time to train) work place.

If I were trying to help my teenage son get a job around here (and didn't have the ease of putting him to work in our own business, lol), I'd suggest lawn care, snow shovelling, raking leaves, etc. Maybe a paper route, but I bet those are all snapped up by adults around here.

ETA: the reason I suggest those options are that I know *I'd* gladly hire a kid to shovel my driveway & mow the lawn if one offerred. Dh doesn't mind doing those chores, but time is very precious. I'd gladly pay $10/hr or so for a hard working kid to get those jobs done, and that's a lot more $$ than most jobs pay here!

Edited by StephanieZ

I just wanted to put in a plug for this excellent book. It totally advocates teens working, but the author is wholeheartedly against fast food jobs and jobs like that.

The author makes poignant and strong arguments for why teens should avoid these types of jobs.

I'm a library-aholic, but I bought this book for the day when I have teens. It's excellent.

Escaping the Endless Adolescence: How We Can Help Our Teenagers Grow Up Before They Grow Old by Joseph Allen.

Alley

I would like to suggest something more entrepreneurial. If he has some knowledge or skill that someone is willing to pay for he might consider that. My daughter takes riding lessons from an older teen. It is understood that she won't be competing, et c. but that is definitely not what we want. We know of a teen who is offering chess and we might take advantage of that.

I also know of a local boy who is very tech knowledgeable and has a tech service of some kind. Also, one of the cello players in honors orchestra gives lessons.

Does your young fellow have a marketable skill. It might be something you don't immediately appreciate but someone else may.