Menu

MDOT (and new highway) knocking at our door

The next door neighbor had a letter from MDOT on her door last night. They are coming to start staking out the highway next week. Not sure what that means yet for us that are in the path of the highway. First buyout was to be 2007, then winter/spring 2011 and last we had heard not until 2013/2014 but with them staking it out ??????

The highway is slated to go right through our property. The biggest issue is, of course, we don't want to move. We live in West Michigan where property values have taken a HUGE dive BUT we have a 5 bedroom, 2 bath home with 3 stall attached garage and 40x48 barn on 5 1/2 acres here. I did a search on Realtor.com and the only place for sale with over 5 acres in our area is listed at almost double what our place is "worth" to sell. We need over 5 acres as that is the magic number for zoning for horses, our chickens, and LOTS of freedom. Under 5 and the zoning restrictions are quite a bit more restrictive. Also, my special needs kids don't want to move out of the school district, etc.

I also feel as I have a friend that is also in the path of the highway who will be looking for a horse farm on over 5 acres in the same township. There just aren't those places available and to BUILD what we have would be very pricey.

Seems like I remember the whole imminent domain thing getting some bad press last year. Any way you can organize your neighbors and make enough "noise" to get MDOT to change the plans?

Oh! Forgot to say what my first thought was - That really stinks and i am sorry this even has to be an issue in your lives.

not any personal experience here- but...my close friend (I homeschool her son) had a freeway expansion result in a huge bridge almost right over her house, they bought out the house next to her, but not her house. They were not very motivated to work with her, even though her house was starting to crack- the foundation was slipping from the vibrations...they were not nice to work with *Until she had a lawyer with experience going against the transportation agency-contact them in her behalf. She then got a very generous buy out (and all very quickly-before the lawyer, they took weeks/months to get back to her). All this to say that you might want to research lawyers.

so sorry, your home sounds like my dream. hugs.

If you are forced to sell, you'll need someone to aggressively negotiate price on your behalf. All of those issues you've listed (horses, kids' needs) need to be considered above and beyond just pure property value. Your arguments needs to go beyond what the market will pay and into what you need to replace your current home and every aspect of it's location.

MY dh handles this stuff a lot. Please be careful with how "difficult" you are, wise as a serpent...INNOCENT AS A DOVE!

Again, feel free to pm me with any details thru this process and I would be willing to run things by dh ;).

In the meantime, become good friends with your county commisioners!!!!

If they have a permit...they are coming, no amount of noise will stop it. But if you are smart you can land on your feet!

Seems like I remember the whole imminent domain thing getting some bad press last year. Any way you can organize your neighbors and make enough "noise" to get MDOT to change the plans?

Oh! Forgot to say what my first thought was - That really stinks and i am sorry this even has to be an issue in your lives.

No, this plan is set in stone, has all of the state and federal permits, EPA/wetlands, etc. and on on and on. It IS coming---it is just a matter of timing.

My whole worrying about this in on hold. My 45 dh had a heart attack Sat. morning and had stints put in less than an hour after we arrived at the hospital. He might come home today or tomorrow so right now I am very busy with that.

I will get back to this later but thanks for the help/ideas.

My whole worrying about this in on hold. My 45 dh had a heart attack Sat. morning and had stints put in less than an hour after we arrived at the hospital. He might come home today or tomorrow so right now I am very busy with that.

OH MY GOSH!! Praying for your dh and your family. I'm so sorry. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

oh no, praying for your dh!

I was thinking about this thread, and about my friend's experience...now I remember that she didn't even have to pay this lawyer to write a letter, what she did was send a letter to the transportation authority- about issues she had been communicating to them about- and she put in a CC line with this lawyer's name..she didn't even actually hire him, just CC'd him and the transportation authority all of a sudden was very willing to deal more fairly with her.

I will be thinking about you and hoping/praying you get a good outcome.

If you are forced to sell, you'll need someone to aggressively negotiate price on your behalf. All of those issues you've listed (horses, kids' needs) need to be considered above and beyond just pure property value. Your arguments needs to go beyond what the market will pay and into what you need to replace your current home and every aspect of it's location.

:iagree:

Just a side thought of mine, and I'm not usually thinking in this vein but, isn't it interesting that they do it when market values are at a low instead of waiting when they would maybe have to pay more? I don't know, it just seems unfair.

I am praying for your dh. So sorry with all that's going on.

Oh my! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: and prayers.

Just an update. I just talked to the guy from the state and our property is a total take which means we must move. They are coming now in MAY to do the appraisals and make the offers. This is a far cry from the 2-3 years we were told in November.

He said to start looking for properties/land now.......but we obviously can't go out and buy another farm until this one sells and we have money in hand.

Just needed a bit more stress in my life.

I'm so sorry. That really sucks! Our family farm (over 150 yrs old) may end up going that way if they go through w/ the Trans-TX corridor. We have voted twice not to widen a certain road in our town, and the PTB, decided to do it anyway. Lost some nice older homes to the stupidity.