Menu

Flute or Clarinet?

I second the clarinet, but I am biased. :001_smile: I played clarinet from 6th-12th grades, and I've always enjoyed the sound. I also think that there is a wider range of parts in band arrangements for the clarinet (compared to the flute, that is). My oldest DD plays the flute, and it seems to me that it took quite awhile to get a decent sound out of it. It did for me, at least. Plus, I always felt bad for the flute players, having to stick their arms out like that to play. Seems like your arms would get tired. :lol:

A couple of years ago, when my oldest DD started playing the flute, I bought a clarinet so we could practice together. She's not that into music (much to my disappointment) but it was so much fun playing Christmas songs together last year.

That said, if your DD has a preference for a specific instrument, I would go with that. She'll be more interested in practicing.

If she really likes the clarinet, it can be a gateway instrument to other reed instruments like the bassoon or oboe, or the saxophones, and there are always a lot of music groups looking for a good bassoonist or oboist. Also, you can explore a lot of different genres with the clarinet--classical, jazz, Klezmer, and so on. There is some jazz music for flute, but it's more limited.

Well you are going to have to listen to her practice, so what do you want to hear?;)

I love the flute and talked my oldest dd into lessons for a couple years, but she didn't enjoy it.

So now I just pop in flute cd's to listen to~it has such a calming influence!

I am saving dd's flute in case I can talk one of the younger dc into taking lessons :lol:

I think both are lovely. My sister played the clarinet, my best friend played the flute. The technique of clarinet playing is probably more versatile, and clarinet players tend to be less common - I remember there were always vast numbers of flutes in our school orchestra!

What does your DD really want most?

Does she want to play in an orchestra? My boys' school is pullulating with flute players, so they have to have a special flute group because there isn't room for them in the orchestra. If clarinets are less common, that might be a better choice. The school is very pleased that Hobbes has chosen the harp.

Laura

I have one of each here!

What does she want to do? Is there an opportunity for her to play in an orchestra or band? Flute lends itself to solo play, imho, and clarinet tends to only be a group thing.

I would start by doing some research in the area. For example, we have an orchestra, the school band, and a flute orchestra available. There are more flute studios, as well. So it was easier to have older dd play flute. Dd playing clarinet has been more of a challenge: finding lessons was more difficult, and she is dependent on getting into the orchestra next year for performance opportunities.

I chose the clarinet because it has the greatest range of sounds it can produce.

I do not think I made a bad choice. Easy to carry in marching band. Easy to play, Fairly easy to convert on the fly to play from songbooks at church. I have gotten out of practice now but I want to go back -- one day.

If there is not an oboe, the whole band tunes to the first chair clarinet player. -- Often clarinet players who branch out will go to oboe, basoon, etc. There is also the bass clarinet.

I would also recommend that you have her listen to both instruments. If it is a sound that she finds pleasing, then she is most likely to work with it. Some people are just drawn to different timbres. Also does she have an overbite or anything else that might physically make her better suited for one or the other?

As a professional flutist, I'm a bit biased in that direction. As far as music goes, I haven't had any problem finding styles of music for my students to work on and I've performed in various venues.

The bands around here actually have a shortage of flutes, but I know that isn't everywhere. Our directors are amazing brass players and they seem to draw that in. They are always wanting more flutes to try and balance some of that.

Both are beautiful instruments and can play some stunning music. They each have the easy and difficult side of them. Keep in mind that the initial sound on the clarinet is generally much easier than the initial sound on the flute so if you are renting both, I'd encourage really playing both of them for a while to get a true feel for each one.

Have fun!

I would rent both and try them out before making such a big decision.

yes

I am a flutist and it is fiercely competitive. The oboe would actually be an awesome one to try because they are even less common than the others. You can almost guarantee an orchestra position with the oboe.

I played the flute as my main instrument from 3rd grade until college. I had no trouble getting sound out of it, but the guy selling us the flute was surprised and said I was a "natural." FWIW, I had no problems learning the clarinet, bassoon, sax, or oboe later. Yeah, the reed vibrating took a little getting used to, but I'd say either works as a "gateway" instrument to someone who truly wants to learn new instruments later... there are lots of similarities in the fingerings with all of the woodwinds ;-)

I don't think I'll soon forget the screeching my younger brother did when he was learning to play the clarinet (OUCH!).

I also really *loved* playing the piccolo/first flute part in the Sousa Marches...

It is very much a personal decision, something your dd should really want to play. I just "knew" flute was for me. An instrument becomes almost like a part of you... I was hoping to teach my oldest daughter to play the flute, but she doesn't like instruments you have to blow into (she is grossed out by it for some reason). If she is unsure, she should try both and see which one she prefers.

Your daughter will have many many more opportunities to play with others, which is a big part of the fun of making music, if she chooses a less popular instrument. Flute and clarinet are both vastly oversubscribed. Does she want to play classical music? If so, consider oboe, bassoon, french horn, viola, or double bass.

Will she have the opportunity to take private lessons? A good way to go is to identify potential teachers on a couple of instruments, then set up trial lessons, and then let her choose the instrument based in part on which teacher she likes best. It's time-consuming but beats spending years on what turns out to be the wrong instrument.

Way back in the 1980s, I joined our band and desperately wanted to play the flute. My band director said that I couldn't hear the high notes well enough (or couldn't distinguish them well enough or something like that) to play the flute well. He suggested that I try a different wind instrument and I chose the clarinet. I LOVED the clarinet.

I would encourage your child to try several instruments before settling on one. A good music teacher should be able to let her experiment with several instruments before making that final decision. Who knows, she may decide that French Horn is her love!

Your daughter will have many many more opportunities to play with others, which is a big part of the fun of making music, if she chooses a less popular instrument. Flute and clarinet are both vastly oversubscribed. Does she want to play classical music? If so, consider oboe, bassoon, french horn, viola, or double bass.

Will she have the opportunity to take private lessons? A good way to go is to identify potential teachers on a couple of instruments, then set up trial lessons, and then let her choose the instrument based in part on which teacher she likes best. It's time-consuming but beats spending years on what turns out to be the wrong instrument.

I also agree about spending some time trying things out if possible. If you are interested in lessons, competitions, orchestras, and all that good stuff, it will be a major investment over the years.

Flutes and clarinets are a dime a dozen. That wouldn't dissuade either of my dd, unfortunately, but French horn would have been my choice for them. They are literally begging for French horns in dd's orchestra, and the competition for a flute spot is fierce. My younger was interested in bassoon, and she still may go that way (clarinet is a common way to start before bassoon,) but our difficulty was in getting the instrument (usually students borrow them from their school, because they are very expensive) and an instructor.

One of my girls plays flute, one of the others plays clarinet... (and the other... trumpet) I'd recommend taking them to a music shop... seeing how the service is there... and then looking for either a used one there.. or through another spot... (and if you don't know how to look for "good"... get someone who does ;)

Also... ask around first... we got my daughter's clarinet free... a friend was giving it to the goodwill. It needed a new mouth piece and the corks on a few spots... Total cost $60 :)

I played the flute as my main instrument from 3rd grade until college. I had no trouble getting sound out of it, but the guy selling us the flute was surprised and said I was a "natural." FWIW, I had no problems learning the clarinet, bassoon, sax, or oboe later. Yeah, the reed vibrating took a little getting used to, but I'd say either works as a "gateway" instrument to someone who truly wants to learn new instruments later... there are lots of similarities in the fingerings with all of the woodwinds ;-)

I don't think I'll soon forget the screeching my younger brother did when he was learning to play the clarinet (OUCH!).

I also really *loved* playing the piccolo/first flute part in the Sousa Marches...

It is very much a personal decision, something your dd should really want to play. I just "knew" flute was for me. An instrument becomes almost like a part of you... I was hoping to teach my oldest daughter to play the flute, but she doesn't like instruments you have to blow into (she is grossed out by it for some reason). If she is unsure, she should try both and see which one she prefers.

In 6th grade I tried the clarinet and struggled with getting a sound out of it. We moved (military) and I tried the flute in 7th grade. I had no trouble playing and absolutely fell in love with it. I played through my senior year in high school. I still get chills when I remember the thrill of standing during our band's performance of The Stars and Stripes Forever while I played the piccolo solo. It is one of my fondest memories.:)

Absolutely have her try both - it is such a personal decision.