Menu

Kids birthday money?

I have 4 kids (ages 1-6) who over the years have gotten small amounts of money for birthdays, Christmas, etc. It is starting to add up a bit and while I have used some of it when they wanted to get something I don't know what to do with it. I want to get them audiobooks to listen to or something to do with school but I feel alittle guilty b/c technically it's not my money. What do you do?

Nadia

When mine were tiny, we bought them savings bonds (usually with a $25 gift from relatives). They both opened a savings account as soon as they could sign their name in cursive, and now their money mostly goes there, but we allow them to spend some on stuff we wouldn't otherwise buy them. When it was just $5 or so, I'd put it in a bank in their room, and when they opened their accounts most of that went in. We also had some inheritance money for them that we used for day camp (after talking to dc about it).

I wouldn't feel guilty about getting educational things.

One of my friends takes all the money that her kids are gifted with and puts them in CD's on whatever is earning a decent amount. She then matches it (her kids are all about 4 years apart so it gives her time to save) and they plan a trip with a parent when they turn 17 or 18.

She's been able to do this once so far (the other kids are younger still). She and her daughter went to England. That had a fantastic time. I bet it's really neat for the people who have given her those gifts through the years see her spend it like that. It was a special time for them.