Menu

Help me choose a math program!

eesmom

Hello everyone,

I am in search of a good math program for my DD who is 5. She has not had any formal math teaching (I just pulled her out of K a week ago!). I have done some simple stuff but nothing program driven. I am a bit nervous about teaching math because it is just so different from teaching other subjects, at least, it seems to me!

From my observation of her, she is easily distracted, very verbal, and visually oriented. For example, today we were doing some simple grouping of items on a sheet of paper, she circled the correct number of objects and then proceeded to tell me that the line that she drew around the objects resembled a "key". She didn't even care that she did it correctly, but that the line that was drawn looked like a key. And holy moly, it did! I would have never caught that but she is really visually quick like that.

So, what sort of program would be good for her? I would love to have a solid, concept base program but also one that she will "click" with as well.

Any advice or recommendation would be appreciated!!:001_smile:

If I were to do it over, I'd use Right Start. I've used Miquon and Math Mammoth. I've found Miquon to be confusing to teach... And while Math Mammoth is working just fine for my daughter, it's a worktext. It is solid and good and convenient... but it isn't very inspiring. I think Right Start seems more kid-friendly and fun and hands on. I'd use Right Start for a few years and then switch to MM or Singapore.

I have been thinking very seriously about RightStart. . . and I am glad that I am getting confirmation that it is a good fit for my DD.

I would love to hear other thoughts and if I could get even more of a consensus for RS, that would be great!

Thanks,

Sylvia

McRuffy color math is very good for visual learners. Most lessons use lots of manipulatives and there are many activities that emphasize visual memory, patterning and logic.

It's a more traditional approach then Right Start, the lessons are short (takes us 10-15 min or less usually), the workbook pages are relatively brief, and the TM is very easy to use. My flighty, artsy, princess girl loves it.

RIghtStart!

My DS (6) is over half way through B and my DD (9) has been doing Teaching Textbooks and watching her little bro have fun with RS. She begged and begged to ADD RS (she's still doing TT) to her schedule. We are almost done doing the transition lessons and she will start level E in February. FWIW, my DS is "mathy" and my DD is not...she is artsy and hands-on. They both like RS. (Oddly enough, he wants to do TT as a supplement as well...I'm going broke buying math curriculum!)

Thank you, thank you for all of your thoughts and advice! It really is a "curriculum jungle" out there and for a newbie like myself, it is truly overwhelming!

I will definitely check out some of the suggestions that were posted!

Thanks again ladies!

Sylvia:001_smile:

I'm a big Saxon K-3 fan--

I mention Saxon because you say you are nervous about teaching it. I loved Right Start, and agree it's a good choice, but I will say that I didn't use it because I didn't feel confident I could teach it. I didn't want to have to learn how to use the abacus or do the games myself so I could teach them. Just lazy, I guess!

Saxon comes with a script, it's hands-on (lots of playing store, using stuffies to show first/second/third, using manipulatives of the standard kind like pattern blocks and bear counters, etc), and it gives a solid foundation.

I'd check into it iiwy! :D

So, what sort of program would be good for her? I would love to have a solid, concept base program but also one that she will "click" with as well.

We have been very happy with MEP as a comprehensive, conceptual program: http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

I like that the focus is on creative thinking and problem solving, but there is still enough practice built in to memorize math facts. It is rather teacher intensive but the lessons are laid out clearly.

We have been very happy with MEP as a comprehensive, conceptual program: http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

I like that the focus is on creative thinking and problem solving, but there is still enough practice built in to memorize math facts. It is rather teacher intensive but the lessons are laid out clearly.

:iagree:

Plus, it's free! :001_smile:

There have been lots of discussion here on MEP, so you can do a search and you'll get quite a few hits. There's also a great blog post that explains what MEP is and how to get started: http://ohpeacefulday.blogspot.com/2009/06/mep-101.html

It's great for visual spatial learners, which sounds like your daughter.

Good luck with your decision! I know how very hard it can be.

We have used MUS, Horizons and MM. I use what I learned from MUS to teach Horizons. Although, I think MM teaches the concepts, facts and word problems really well. My K-er is doing MM1A right now. I throw in some Horizons K because I have it. My dd likes both. If I had to give up one, it would be Horizons. However, I love throwing in the spiral for review.