Menu

How did you get over a weight loss plateau?

I have been exercising since November 1st using C25K. I am currently on week 8, running 28 minutes a day. I have consumed around 1200 a day since November except for a few days off for the holidays. I was consistently losing 2 lbs per week, but since about 3 weeks ago I have remained the same even though I have added in weight training this week, watched my eating more carefully by adding in more fruit and veggies and less whole grain breads. I am ready to shed those last 20 lbs for good. Any advice?

It doesn't matter if you are gaining weight or losing weight--- your body will "hang out" at a weight for a while before creeping up or moving down the scale. Frustrating, but true.

This is why weight gaining can be so deceptively easy-- you eat more and stay the same! But only for a while, and then the scale suddenly jumps 5 pounds overnight. Likewise with weight loss

Just keep on keeping on..... I wouldn't cut back on food though. Patience is what you need.......

It sounds like your body has adjusted to your new diet.

It will work on conserving what you eat.

What I've done to get over a plateau like that, is go off my diet and eat whatever I had deprived myself of for one day~not a lot, just a burger or desert.

Inevitably, it would jumpstart my metabolism again.

It doesn't matter if you are gaining weight or losing weight--- your body will "hang out" at a weight for a while before creeping up or moving down the scale. Frustrating, but true.

This is why weight gaining can be so deceptively easy-- you eat more and stay the same! But only for a while, and then the scale suddenly jumps 5 pounds overnight. Likewise with weight loss

Just keep on keeping on..... I wouldn't cut back on food though. Patience is what you need.......

I agree but you might want to do a DRAMATIC change in exercise. Pick up a new sport or intense weight training program. I had a plateau and got results by changing my sports supplements and cardio routine. I highly recommend Insanity by Beachbody.com

My teacher at the Y told me to up my water intake to 3 liters a day, exercise twice a day, and to do little things like: sit on the wall for 30 sec. every time you open the fridg, do 10 push-ups every time you go to the bathroom . . . It keeps me me active ALL day instead of just when I'm at the gym (especially with all that water!)

Well, fill me in. :bigear:

I know some celebrities that are fitness fanatics are into HCG but I don't know much more about it.

I'm 5'3" (42) and my weight for years has stayed between 118 and 125. Periodically, I would go on the Curves diet and get to 118. (900 calories, low carbs, and exercise.) I could get to 118, but try as I might, not below. My tummy area especially was a problem.

On Thanksgiving, I started my HCG diet. (The real stuff with injections.) I followed a certain 500 calorie diet for 40 days, felt great, and with almost no hunger. Finally, I was able to loose the belly fat I could never do before, and I'm now at 110. My DH lost 42 lbs.

People can say whatever they want, just looking in the mirror has made me a believer. :)

Here's a link to the protocol I followed:

http://www.hcginfoonline.com/ORIGINAL_Dr_Simeons_Pounds_and_Inches.htm

I followed it almost exactly, but I did not break for my time of the month.

If anyone would like to know more about my experience you're welcome to PM me. It is a touchy subject for some I know. :) And it you were wondering about the cost- Dr. appointment, vitamins, & shots for 40 days- $190.

Edited by Swirl
Added cost of diet.

Cross train aerobically on your off days of c25k. Whatever you enjoy & have access to is fine as long as it gets you sweating! Walking in a hilly neighborhood, ice skating, biking, machines, whatever. Aim for an hour or so, and try to choose something that isn't going to hammer your legs the same way running does since you are running on the c25k days.

CONGRATS on getting so far in c25k!! You are in the homestretch!! Plan a celebration for your graduation!! Now that you're up to 28 min runs, if you keep increasing about 5-10% per week, you'll be running longer (and upping your calorie burn) very soon. The miles really start adding up. Check out Bridge to 10k: it takes you from 5k to 10k (or 30 min to 60 min) in 5 weeks!! I did it right after graduating c25k & honestly, it was easy compared to the adjustment to running you go through in c25k. I llllooooovvve my long runs now. The first mile or two are hard work, but the next 3-6 are gravy, fun.

Enjoy; don't be discouraged. . . Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll all be good. . . Plateaus are temporary!

Well, fill me in. :bigear:

I know some celebrities that are fitness fanatics are into HCG but I don't know much more about it.

I will soon, if you're still interested.

Which celebrities? I've never heard about hcg in any magazine or anywhere else other than online.

Hcg is the ONLY method of weight loss that has given me such great results in a very, very long time ... I've lost 17 pounds in 16 days. Now, granted, the keeping it off is the hardest part. But I have hope and I have a plan. :) For me to have hope in the weight loss department says a lot. :lol:

It's basically a starvation diet where one's appetite is supposedly controlled through HCG injections or pills (HCG is a hormone associated with pregnancy). You eat around 500 calories a day. This lasts about 2 weeks. There are some other phases and there are various HCG diets/methods out there, but that is the general gist.

I wanted to add that exercise is not encouraged during the "cycles" because I'd think it would be pretty hard to move all that much on 500 calories a day.

You're right about some points - exercise is encouraged, but not strenuous P90X style exercise - moderate exercise and whatever your body is used to is encouraged.

This is not a starvation diet. I have barely felt any hunger whatsoever. Very mild for one or two days. I take homeopathic hcg drops and they work great. It's actually for 26 or 43 days. I have chosen the latter. The maintenance phases are key.

For anyone who's interested, if you do a search for hcg on this forum, you should find lots of info.

Different plans work on different bodies. Hcg nor any other method is for all.

I was told about it on the WW message boards recently. When you plateau it helps to eat different amounts of calories each day so that your body doesnt just get used to the level of food you are eating. I was surprised that I had plateaud (sp?) for weeks , then on Christmas day I pigged out and the next day I had lost weight!

However,....last week someone here mentioned the No S diet on a WW thread and I decided I was tired of WW (and I havent really picked up tracking propoints since I lost track over Christmas, although I eat well) and it really made sense to me. So, I am doing it and I lost 1/2 kg in a few days. Not calorie counting, just common sense and easy peasy. No snacks, No seconds, no sweets, except on S days (saturday and sunday). Heck, one week isnt much to go on but i like new things :)

nosdiet.com

On Thanksgiving, I started my HCG diet. (The real stuff with injections.) I followed a certain 500 calorie diet for 40 days, felt great, and with almost no hunger. Finally, I was able to loose the belly fat I could never do before, and I'm now at 110. My DH lost 42 lbs.

People can say whatever they want, just looking in the mirror has made me a believer. :)

If anyone would like to know more about my experience you're welcome to PM me. It is a touchy subject for some I know. :) And it you were wondering about the cost- Dr. appointment, vitamins, & shots for 40 days- $190.

Fabulous job! :D

I was extremely skeptical when I first heard about hcg. I thought it was insane. Then, I heard more and more of my online friends raving about it. I read more and more. Having an open mind helps. I read for a few months. Talked about it with dh. Decided on homeopathic this time around. I love this diet. :) And this is coming from me, such an incredibly NON-diet person ... I have always hated diets and would exercise like you wouldn't believe. Exercise didn't do squat ... great for health, but for weight loss ... nothing to write home about ;).

I was told about it on the WW message boards recently. When you plateau it helps to eat different amounts of calories each day so that your body doesnt just get used to the level of food you are eating. I was surprised that I had plateaud (sp?) for weeks , then on Christmas day I pigged out and the next day I had lost weight!

However,....last week someone here mentioned the No S diet on a WW thread and I decided I was tired of WW (and I havent really picked up tracking propoints since I lost track over Christmas, although I eat well) and it really made sense to me. So, I am doing it and I lost 1/2 kg in a few days. Not calorie counting, just common sense and easy peasy. No snacks, No seconds, no sweets, except on S days (saturday and sunday). Heck, one week isnt much to go on but i like new things :)

nosdiet.com

Peela, the nos diet worked for me for a while. But I need lots and lots of structure. The nos works for so many. I like it. And may do that from time to time. I'm coming up with an exciting plan for after my hcg - possible. Although many stick with the P4 of hcg for life and I may just do that. It's the maintenance phase.

Peela, the nos diet worked for me for a while. But I need lots and lots of structure. The nos works for so many. I like it. And may do that from time to time. I'm coming up with an exciting plan for after my hcg - possible. Although many stick with the P4 of hcg for life and I may just do that. It's the maintenance phase.

Yes, I am understand that. I was a bit tired of the WW tracking and too much structure ....I love structure too...but then I get tired of it and rebel :)

For me the No s diet seems to not really be a diet, but more of a habit forming program- I already didnt eat sweets...easy to not have 2nds....fo rme the big thing was snacks.

But you know, I really love playing with my diet, so for me its a bit of a novelty. I like to play with my food :)

I would try the hcg now that I have heard of it, just for the heck of it, except now I am a healthy weight and thinner than I have been for years, so I don't need to do anything radical- I just need to maintain myself and make sure I have healthy habits.

I do think shaking up your diet is a good way to deal with weight loss plateaus. Seemed to work for me.

I do think shaking up your diet is a good way to deal with weight loss plateaus. Seemed to work for me.

I definitely agree with that. Just eating low, low, low all the time seems to put a halt to things after a while. Then you go and eat high and it really does shake things up, I've lost that way, too. Good losses. And then like you said, kind of mix it up each day- that's why people used to like when WW had a "points range." Or would do "The Wendi Plan" (which was the same thing, eating low in your points range one day, high the next, then low again, and just keeping your body off balance).

not much different here, but....

here's a link to some fitness/nutrition articles from a source that's been around for 40 years in the fitness industry. (I'm bias toward that website since I take and teach Lite classes)

http://jazzercise.com/exercise_articles.htm

Remember that sometimes our bodies shift with muscle vs. fat weight and the scale doesn't show those changes. That's always a tough one for me to accept.

You just started adding in resistance training this week.! good job! you might need to wait a little bit to see some results. Make sure it is more than just ankle weights while running. (I don't know what you are doing, so don't feel the need to explain.... I'm just saying, resistance training and circuit and all of that is more than just adding a weight during cardio. you know that... I'm just babbling... sorry... )

probably not what you want to hear -- but you might need to change up your cardio routine as well. Running is good, but sometimes our bodies get use to a routine and we need to change it up a bit to get seeing results.

I love doing a class that is about mix intensity interval training once in a while instead of just doing my cardio for 40 minutes,then 15-20 of strength and stretch. Those mix interval things are a fun way to change it up without too much change.

keep going! I'm happy dancing for you continuing toward your goals! :grouphug:

-crystal

Cross train aerobically on your off days of c25k. Whatever you enjoy & have access to is fine as long as it gets you sweating! Walking in a hilly neighborhood, ice skating, biking, machines, whatever. Aim for an hour or so, and try to choose something that isn't going to hammer your legs the same way running does since you are running on the c25k days.

CONGRATS on getting so far in c25k!! You are in the homestretch!! Plan a celebration for your graduation!! Now that you're up to 28 min runs, if you keep increasing about 5-10% per week, you'll be running longer (and upping your calorie burn) very soon. The miles really start adding up. Check out Bridge to 10k: it takes you from 5k to 10k (or 30 min to 60 min) in 5 weeks!! I did it right after graduating c25k & honestly, it was easy compared to the adjustment to running you go through in c25k. I llllooooovvve my long runs now. The first mile or two are hard work, but the next 3-6 are gravy, fun.

Enjoy; don't be discouraged. . . Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll all be good. . . Plateaus are temporary!

I read this as such an encouragement! Thank you! I spent last year, walking, okay crying first then walking, then walking more! I lost 40 pounds! woot but that is a drop in the bucket, I started at 260 pounds! Hence the hard time beginning.

I just started plodding, my attempt at running, I usually walk 4 miles in one hour, I started running and am only about 1 mile of the run, but my legs are strong, my lungs oh my goodness, not so strong!

I want to enjoy running and I also want to drop an additional 3o pounds this year.

(long term goal is 100 pounds, but I want this to be a lifetime weight, so changing my life to get there)

I so want to enjoy running, but I have to admit, it is a bit of torture at the moment!

I read this as such an encouragement! Thank you! I spent last year, walking, okay crying first then walking, then walking more! I lost 40 pounds! woot but that is a drop in the bucket, I started at 260 pounds! Hence the hard time beginning.

I just started plodding, my attempt at running, I usually walk 4 miles in one hour, I started running and am only about 1 mile of the run, but my legs are strong, my lungs oh my goodness, not so strong!

I want to enjoy running and I also want to drop an additional 3o pounds this year.

(long term goal is 100 pounds, but I want this to be a lifetime weight, so changing my life to get there)

I so want to enjoy running, but I have to admit, it is a bit of torture at the moment!

music helps with running. It distracts from how much it sucks.

I'm 5'3" (42) and my weight for years has stayed between 118 and 125. Periodically, I would go on the Curves diet and get to 118. (900 calories, low carbs, and exercise.) I could get to 118, but try as I might, not below. My tummy area especially was a problem.

My mother did the HCG protocol, but the drops, not the injections. You can get the drops from Ebay at a great price.

Your HCG blog.com has all of the info. It worked for my mom, who only had about 25 lbs to lose, and she has kept it off for over a year.

Something that you can do to break a plateau is what's called a steak day. It is taken from the HCG diet. I didn't do the protocol as I don't have to lose any weight, but I did do the steak day to get myself back after Christmas.

Basically, you eat nothing all day. Around 6pm you eat the largest steak you can find along with an apple or a tomato. I did it on New Years Day and lost 3 1/2 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...
For me the No s diet seems to not really be a diet, but more of a habit forming program

:iagree:

I do think shaking up your diet is a good way to deal with weight loss plateaus.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I would just love to come up (and am working on one or, should I say, hoping to work on ;)) a few different plans to shake up my diet once I finish with hcg. Although quite honestly, hcg phase 4 is meant to be for life. I'll see how it goes. Right now, hcg works me and I am loving it.

I would love to see if anyone else has fun plans for shaking up some weight loss. Like Peela, I love playing around with this sort of stuff. :D