Menu

Snacks

Apples and peanut butter

Greek yogurt with frozen fruit and a bit of honey blended in, with fruit for dipping

Celery/red peppers and hummus

Any kind of fruit we have in the house (usually oranges, but right now we also have kiwis and apricots, so they are allowed to eat fruit at will)

Cheese

Cheesy bread (bread toasted in the toaster oven with a slice of cheese on top)

Half a PB&J (sometimes with bananas too)

Hard-boiled egg chopped up with a drizzle of olive oil and adobo powder

Leftovers from breakfast (usually a pancake) eaten plain

Right now we have a big bag of trail mix, but we don't normally have that because it has M&Ms in it. We're mixing that with dried cherries from Costco--sooo good!

Sliced lunch meat, if you're not opposed--we sometimes have them for sandwich makings (Whole Foods has ones that we love), so we can roll up a slice of ham, salami, and cheese and put hummus or mustard in the middle--wrap in a lettuce leaf if you have it.

:bigear: for other ideas

Edited by melissel

Those of you who do cheese with a snack (or lunch) what kind do you do?

My kids favorite kind of cheese are American cheese slices (the kind wrapped in plastic) - I try to give them other kinds (usually cheese sticks or cheddar) but they don't eat those nearly as well.

Do I really want to know ust how bad "plastic cheese" kraft slices are?:tongue_smilie:

Those of you who do cheese with a snack (or lunch) what kind do you do?

My kids favorite kind of cheese are American cheese slices (the kind wrapped in plastic) - I try to give them other kinds (usually cheese sticks or cheddar) but they don't eat those nearly as well.

Do I really want to know ust how bad "plastic cheese" kraft slices are?:tongue_smilie:

:lol: Fortunately, my kids will eat just about any cheese I put in front of them as long as it's not spicy, so I'm no help there. You might try to give them Monterey Jack--it's creamy and smooth, similar to American. We like Cabot cheeses; I'm not sure who else makes Monterey Jack otherwise! You might look in your deli case to see if you can buy it sliced. Then you can just tell them it's a different kind of American cheese. It's made in America, after all :D

The snacks I offer are oranges, apples, bananas, toast, carrots, celery, and water. If they don't want those, they aren't hungry enough. Sometimes I will allow ice cream in the afternoon, a small yogurt, or half a sandwich but generally I don't have snacks around.

We are like the PP. Whatever the snack, it must involve protein. (I have friends who make fun of my need to combine protein with whatever they are eating.) Carbs and sugar hit the bloodstream and can cause undesired behaviour. But protein with complex carbs can give sustained energy without the hyperactivity.

As far as the cheese goes, my dc love cheese; all kinds. Have you tried "fun" cheese, like Babybel, wrapped in wax? Or Laughing Cow to spread on crackers? What about shredded cheese melted on a corn tortilla?

We also use eggs for snacking. My dc love sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. (We have to avoid peanut butter b/c one of my dc is quite allergic.) Homemade bean dip or hummus are also fun.

Throw in wheat crackers, fruits, veggies, granola, pickles, and the possibilities are endless! :tongue_smilie:

Dd most often eats fruit for a snack in the afternoon. She likes almost any kind, but we keep apples, clementines (in season), bananas and grapes on hand, and other kinds as they go on sale.

ITA with adding in a protein. Since she's in ps, tho, she doesn't have to go very long before dinner--only maybe 2.5 hours or so at the most, so fruit is fine.

crackers with peanut butter

fruit (usually apple slices, cherries, watermelon, grapes, or bananas)

graham sticks dipped in peanut butter (for DD6) or Nutella (for DD3)

boiled eggs

organic apple cinnamon mini muffins

a piece of peanut butter toast

yogurt

yogurt bar (for DD3) or granola bar (for DD6)

occasionally they will eat some organic cheddar bunnies, but not often

squirrel wedges (chopped nuts, add peanut butter, nutella, a bit of honey and cinnamon, make a paste, spread between whole wheat tortilla shells and cut into wedges....lots of protein)

a sausage link or two

whole wheat dinner roll

half a whole wheat bagel with a dab of cream cheese

sandwich crackers made with crackers, pepperoni, and cheese

Some snacks we do for the kids:

soup

quesadillas

bowl of brown rice w/cheese or w/cinnamon & sugar

bowl of oatmeal w/nuts and fruit

string cheese and fruit

veggies and hummus

veggies and ranch

fruit in season

Ramen or pasta w/olive oil and parmesean and/or mozarella

muffins or cookies (usually homemade high protein/low sugar)

nachos

yogurt or yogurt smoothies

squirrel wedges (chopped nuts, add peanut butter, nutella, a bit of honey and cinnamon, make a paste, spread between whole wheat tortilla shells and cut into wedges....lots of protein)

Ooh, cool! Thanks for sharing that. Except...that means I have to buy Nutella again :( It turns out that I'm not to be trusted alone in the house with Nutella *sigh*

What exactly is a yogurt bar? Is it something you make yourself?