Menu

Baby Gift for 3rd Girl

I need to come up with a baby gift for friends who just had their 3rd girl. We usually give clothes and board books to new babies but I'm pretty sure they don't need one more girl outfit and I'd have no idea which books they already have collected after 3 kids so as not to duplicate. They live far away so taking over meals or even knowing what restaraunts to get a gift card to is out of the question. They are special friends to us so I want to give them something that will really be appreciated. Are there any new baby items that are must haves these days (my youngest is 5 so I'm a bit out of the baby loop). Or a special gift I could give to the mom??

Thanks!

Dear friends sent us a fruit bouquet for the birth of our #3 from edible Arrangements. It was such a fun and unique gift! My 2 older kids loved getting something that they could enjoy and I was happy to have all that lovely, delicious fruit ready to be nibbled with no work on my part! :) And really, we didn't need anything more.

If you want a more traditional gift I asked for a nice swaddling blanket and a fleece car seat cover for #4 (the kind that fits around the outer part of the seat), but he was a winter baby. A nice hardcover book is always timeless and a lovely addition and/or donate a copy to their local library (we have done that several times and my kids love checking out the books we gave to their friends). Cute Robeez shoes are great. I know you said you didn't know what restaurant they liked b/c they were in another town, try checking UrbanSpoon for local recommendations. I did that for a Christmas gift to family in another city (that I have never been to). Hopefully it will be good and if not, it wan't on their dime! I so appreciated food, not having to cook and anything else that made my life easier following #3 and #4 births.

I would suggest a keepsake, a personalized gift, or my favorite--a basket of food for the whole family! When a friend had her fifth child, I brought a basket of breakfast foods over early one morning. I had fresh fruit, freshly made muffins, yogurts, granola bars and some juice. To this day, she still raves about what a huge blessing it was to have something that they could all munch on while she sat and snuggled her youngest one!

I second diapers and wipes. If you want something 'fluffy' maybe a monogrammed burp cloth or 2. My friend after baby #3 really appreciated the new burp cloths, some new bibs, and a new car seat cover. She said hers were getting pretty worn. If you are thinking a gift card, you can do a generic Visa or American Express gift card as well.

My favorite baby gift (which I received and have now given many many times) is the bunny soft fleece blanket from Land's End with the child's name embroidered on it. By the third we had most baby things we needed and it was nice to have something special with the new guy's name on it. These blankets are super soft, a great size for strollers, lying on the floor for floor time etc. My boys both still have theirs and after 8 years they are still soft and unpilled. The great thing about Land's End is you can have the gift boxed and sent directly from them to the recepient. It comes really nicely boxed and packaged.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/BabyBlanket~178186_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::ICK&CM_MERCH=IDX_00005__0000000291&origin=index

I am also a fan of baby quilts as a gift. I used crib sized quilts with all of mine for floor time.

On your third kid you can't always afford the cute little boutique items and a lot of what you have is older. I like to get the baby something new and fancy :) I've gone to etsy or local businesses for a LOT of baby gifts. Oh the minky blankets... sigh :D

And this is a GREAT thread, I have quite a few friends getting ready to have their third baby and I've now got a lot more ideas on how I can help them out and do something special for them - thanks!

I'd still go with clothes. I have two girls, and if we ever have a 3rd, a lot of the clothes that they've both used are going to have to be replaced because they are worn out or really outdated. Plus the new baby might have been born in a different season than her sisters :D

I agree. And it's nice to have new items that are special just for that baby. God brought us two girls - only 12 months apart, and I still wanted some new things for the youngest.

After our third baby girl (out of five!) someone gave me/her a sweet little beaded bracelet. I still have it in my jewelry box. It is too tiny for any of them to wear now, but I look at it occasionally and remember when my babies were small enough to wear it. :)

ETA: My third was born in the fall after my older two were born in the spring. She needed clothes because everything I had in her size was for summer. We live where it snows. So, if this baby is a different season, clothes may indeed be a welcome and useful gift. :)

Edited by Veritaserum

I would vote no blankets. I have two girls and am overflowing with blankets that have been given to them. I think I have over 20 baby blankets, and many I have never used. I don't know what I'm going to do when we have our next baby and he/she gets 7 blankets!

Clothes are ok. I noticed with my two girls that they were built completely differently, so the outfits I liked on one baby looked weird on the other and vice versa. Although, I am overflowing with baby clothes too (I guess I have really sweet people in my life :001_smile:)

I would vote for something different. Like a unique high quality toy for the new baby. Etsy would be a great place to look for that sort of thing. Diapers are another one. Since you live far away, maybe a diapers.com gift card?

I never did care for the keepsake things like picture frames or memory books. The picture frame may not match their decor, or, if they're like me, they won't have anywhere to put one. I never did the memory book things either, although I can see the appeal. I'd bet, though, with a third baby, it's unlikely the mom will have time to do one of those.

Then again, I'm a really practical gift-cards-are-the-best-presents type person, so maybe I'm not the best person to be answering this question.

I just had our third baby boy and I was very happy for the clothes we received. You'd think we had everything already, but a lot of the old things are quite ratty and in any event all three boys were born in different seasons. It's nice to have a few new things for the little guy.

Another fun gift was burp cloths embroidered with the baby's name. They're so frivolous but so cute, and the mom who gave them to me said that she had received them herself and now her daughter (almost 2) uses them to play with her dolls.

I'm not a fan of baby toys, myself. We have a couple of consistent favorites (a small rattle, the Lamaze caterpiller)but I find that most of them don't get used and i wind up giving them away.

Edited by JennyD