Menu

All aboard for LOTH!!! I am prepped, are you?

I've made my schedule starting with getting in the prayers, then scheduled in basic house routines (getting up, grooming, meals), THEN scheduled in school subjects. I set the timers and reminders on my iTouch clock and the Calendar program on my iMac. I went over the ground rules with the kids.

The hardest part will be stopping what we are doing and doing prayers no matter what.

Yes, young kids can do this. If my troublesome mutts can do it, so can yours.

Another habit I am adopting is getting ALL the housework done so that Sunday actually is a day of rest and contemplation, not a harried day of leftover work to complete in prep for Monday. Sunday is the day we will prep for instead.

HTH

BTW, we just did night prayers and kids are in bed.

Thought I would bump this in case there were others who were taking this on.

Here is what I've committed my family to. I get up at 5 am to take my thyroid meds. That way I can have my coffee at 6AM while I get up the kids for morning prayers. The rule is everyone has to pee and brush their teeth before praying. After prayers, everyone does their chores (personal grooming, make beds, breakfast, and clean up). School 8AM sharp. Prayers at 10AM SHARP. School again from 11-12. Lunch. 1PM SHARP is prayers. School from 2-4PM. Prayers at 4PM SHARP. Relative free time from then to 6pm. Dinner. 7PM SHARP - night time routine (brush teeth, shower, tidy house). 8PM SHARP is night prayer then to bed.

What I learned from the Benedictine nuns was to drop whatever we are doing for prayers. That does make the difference.

Here is what I've committed my family to. I get up at 5 am to take my thyroid meds. That way I can have my coffee at 6AM while I get up the kids for morning prayers. The rule is everyone has to pee and brush their teeth before praying. After prayers, everyone does their chores (personal grooming, make beds, breakfast, and clean up). School 8AM sharp. Prayers at 10AM SHARP. School again from 11-12. Lunch. 1PM SHARP is prayers. School from 2-4PM. Prayers at 4PM SHARP. Relative free time from then to 6pm. Dinner. 7PM SHARP - night time routine (brush teeth, shower, tidy house). 8PM SHARP is night prayer then to bed.

What I learned from the Benedictine nuns was to drop whatever we are doing for prayers. That does make the difference.

This sounds lovely. I've never done anything like this, so I'm hesitant to commit, but it is very intriguing.

Is this what Holly Pierlot does in A Mother's Rule of Life?

Can I just say I am completely lost :glare:. I really want to implement something. I don't have any gadgets, is there an online for dummies tutorial on how this works?

I've read both threads and followed a few links, but I am still lost :confused:.

Help please!!!

Can I just say I am completely lost :glare:. I really want to implement something. I don't have any gadgets, is there an online for dummies tutorial on how this works?

I've read both threads and followed a few links, but I am still lost :confused:.

Help please!!!

Where are you lost at? PM me if you want more privacy.

I rely solely on divineoffice.org. I am sure there are better ways but without it, I wouldn't be doing LOTH. I mean, I don't even know any hymns! Divineoffice.org has them so we listen and get exposed to music.

Can't recommend that site enough.

Is the website having some issues right now?

Who knows maybe my questions will help others ;)!

Okay, where do I start? What is the first thing in the morning? What's next? and next?

Like I said this is very new to me!

I'm relinking the site here. Here is an article on how to pray the LOTH. I HTH:) At the top of the website you can see the tabs that show you what to do when. Their site is experiencing audio problems.

Who knows maybe my questions will help others ;)!

Okay, where do I start? What is the first thing in the morning? What's next? and next?

Like I said this is very new to me!

I am going to ask some questions that you *don't* need to answer, just mull them over.

1. Why do you want to do this? Why are you drawn to this idea. LOTH isn't an easy endeavor, especially with children. You may not know the answer for a while.

2. Is there a goal you want to achieve? One isn't necessary but perhaps you have one or an idea of where you want to be that is leading you to consider LOTH.

3. Are you aware that this is a Roman Catholic practice (I'll throw in EOs, too). The Divine Office (that's LOTH) is Catholic Tradition. Certain Protestants have similar practice though I am not sure what books or how they do it. I am NOT trying to discourage you, in fact, I welcome you to participate but you should know the Divine Office will deepen a Catholic's faith and promote the Catholic culture. There are devotions to Mary, celebration of Roman Catholic feasts, readings from books not found in Protestant bibles (I think), writings from Popes, and so forth. It's NOT non-denominational.

Okay, now for your questions. The Divine Office or Liturgy of the Hours are a set of prayers to be chanted/read during various times of the day. You don't choose the prayers, they are all ordered in books such as the Book of Christian Prayer and the whole Liturgy of the Hours set.

GET ON A SCHEDULE and STICK TO IT LIKE GLUE!!! :001_smile: That's how you start.

You will need the prayers and readings. You can buy the books but I use this site http://www.divineoffice.org.

Set your schedule for prayers (30 minute blocks). Go to the website at the designated times you have set out, click on the appropriate tabs (morning, daytime, evening) and follow along. There is usually an audio file link that you can click. They have people reading what is on that particular prayer tab. Each tab (invitatory, office, morning, day, evening, night) will have all the prayers, in order, that need to be said.

I pulled this from the divineoffice.org website.

What is Divine Office?

“From ancient times the Church has had the custom of celebrating each day the liturgy of the hours. In this way the Church fulfills the Lord’s precept to pray without ceasing, at once offering its praise to God the Father and interceding for the salvation of the world.†– Office of the Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship.

The Ministry of Divine Office has a mission to gather assets beneficial to our community in praying the Liturgy of the Hours. We appreciate contributions from you. Please leave your suggestions or links as a comment and we will incorporate the most useful materials into this site.

So what is the Liturgy of the Hours?

The Liturgy of the Hours is the prayer of the whole People of God. In it, Christ himself “continues his priestly work through his Church.†His members participate according to their own place in the Church and the circumstances of their lives. The laity, too, are encouraged to recite the divine office either with the priests, among themselves, or individually.

The celebration of the Liturgy of the Hours demands not only harmonizing the voice with the praying heart, but also a deeper “understanding of the liturgy and of the Bible, especially of the Psalms.â€

The hymns and litanies of the Liturgy of the Hours integrate the prayer of the psalms into the age of the Church, expressing the symbolism of the time of day, the liturgical season, or the feast being celebrated. Moreover, the reading from the Word of God at each Hour with the subsequent responses or troparia and readings from the Fathers and spiritual masters at certain Hours, reveal the deeper meanings of the mystery being celebrated, assist in understanding the psalms, and help one prepare for silent prayer. The lectio divina, where the Word of God is so read and meditated that it becomes prayer, is thus rooted in the liturgical celebration.

I am going to ask some questions that you *don't* need to answer, just mull them over.

1. Why do you want to do this? Why are you drawn to this idea. LOTH isn't an easy endeavor, especially with children. You may not know the answer for a while. Hmmm....good question. Right now I am on a bit of a spiritual journey. You could say I have a spiritual longing that I can't quite put into words. I have been looking seriously into EO.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions :D.

2. Is there a goal you want to achieve? One isn't necessary but perhaps you have one or an idea of where you want to be that is leading you to consider LOTH.

Right now the only goal is a "deepening." I'm not sure how else to put it ;).

3. Are you aware that this is a Roman Catholic practice (I'll throw in EOs, too). The Divine Office (that's LOTH) is Catholic Tradition. Certain Protestants have similar practice though I am not sure what books or how they do it. I am NOT trying to discourage you, in fact, I welcome you to participate but you should know the Divine Office will deepen a Catholic's faith and promote the Catholic culture. There are devotions to Mary, celebration of Roman Catholic feasts, readings from books not found in Protestant bibles (I think), writings from Popes, and so forth. It's NOT non-denominational.

YES!!! :D

Just wanted to answer a few of these!!!

Just wanted to answer a few of these!!!

Okay, what helped me to FULLY commit to LOTH was the documentary on the Benedictine abbey in Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkfvuA27ba4&feature=related That is just part 1 of 12 episodes.

The part I took away was maintaining a strict schedule, dropping everything fro prayer. Everything else in the day was secondary to prayer.

3. Are you aware that this is a Roman Catholic practice (I'll throw in EOs, too). The Divine Office (that's LOTH) is Catholic Tradition. Certain Protestants have similar practice though I am not sure what books or how they do it.
Phyllis Tickle has a great set of books out called The Divine Hours. She is Episcopalian I believe, and uses the Book of Common Prayer in hers. (I got the BoCP for Christmas and I'm so excited!) I like hers because she lays it out so easily; you just open the book to that day and do the prayers/readings for that hour.

Okay, what helped me to FULLY commit to LOTH was the documentary on the Benedictine abbey in Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkfvuA27ba4&feature=related That is just part 1 of 12 episodes.

The part I took away was maintaining a strict schedule, dropping everything fro prayer. Everything else in the day was secondary to prayer.

Thanks for sharing that link! I watched the first one and am very intrigued!!!

I just started the morning and evening prayers from Magnificat- doing it online until my subscription comes. I have toyed with jumping right in and going to the LOTH and doing it with the kids as well but I want to make changes I no I can keep so wanted to try this first and it has went well. I do want to do more family prayers and devotion though. I am going to watch that special tonight on the Abbey.

Yes! These are some of the ones I'm using, too! And here's another site I used:

http://www.officehoursonline.com/index.shtml

I also put this in favorites to look at later:

http://dailyprayer.us/morning_devotional.php?day=488

And here are some more for each day of the week that I haven't looked over yet:

http://www.cptryon.org/prayer/day/basic.html

And here's some historical info on the canonical hours:

http://www.fisheaters.com/hours.html

Probably a stupid question: what do you do when you're not home at 4:00? Or not home all day? Do you pray it elsewhere with something like iBreviary or do you change the schedule for that day? What about when you're doing something with other people - invite them to join, excuse yourselves for a little while, or wait & do it later? Okay, that's a whole list of stupid questions, sorry! I'm really intrigued by the idea but unable to imagine it day-to-day except in the house.

Probably a stupid question: what do you do when you're not home at 4:00? Or not home all day? Do you pray it elsewhere with something like iBreviary or do you change the schedule for that day? What about when you're doing something with other people - invite them to join, excuse yourselves for a little while, or wait & do it later? Okay, that's a whole list of stupid questions, sorry! I'm really intrigued by the idea but unable to imagine it day-to-day except in the house.

We skip it like on Saturday afternoons and midday Sunday (we are in Mass). BUT I have it on my iPod touch and that will be my next phase.