Menu

Which e-reader?

I need help here! I'm really, not at all, even one little bit a technologically savvy person. But I read a lot, and I'm thinking one of these things might be handy. I've heard you can take notes with them, highlight stuff, and other such nifty things, load heaps and heaps of books on them, and they can even fit into your purse. Wowzers.

Any suggestions on which kind to get? And what's the learning curve for someone who doesn’t like to spend a lot of time fussing with computers? How’s the selection of books you can get for them? Are most books coming out now available as e-books?

Thanks!

I have a Kindle as well and am quite happy with it. You can put .pdf files on them so I just take many books and drop them into my Kindle on my computer. I have several of the books from mainlesson.com on my Kindle.

I think someone said that the nookbooks tend to be a little more expensive. Someone else here said that the Sony reader is great and I've read elsewhere that it is the best one.

Edited by Jyniffrec

My Nook just came in the mail today, and so far so good. The main reason I got it was that they're selling refurbished ones on Overstock.com, so it was a good bit cheaper than the Kindle (new). I was leaning that way anyway, though. I like the touch screen, since I'm used to my iphone. And I like that you can get library books on the Nook. My library actually doesn't have e-books, yet, but the county south of mine does, so I might get a non-resident card there. Also just the principle of the thing; who is Amazon to tell me I can't read library books on my e-reader!?

I researched Nook, Kobo, Kindle, and Sony. I chose Sony and I love it! :D

I can load it with library books. I can buy from several different ebook stores. The current generation of Sonys has the same newer screen technology that the Kindles have. I've posted about my decision to buy Sony before, and there are a few other Sony Reader families on the forum, so you might search the archives here to get more thoughts on Sonys.

I have a Nook. It's easy to use once you know what you're doing, but it didn't come with any real information on how to use it (specifically, getting actual books loaded onto the thing). Happily, I have Mr. Ellie. :D OTOH, you can call a B&N and the nice Nook-geeks will help you out.

I've downloaded some free books from Gutenberg. I'm also looking forward to going in to B&N, having a nice cup of fancy-schmancy coffee, and reading books for free. There's a new Robin McKinley book I might want to buy but I want to read some of it first (there's a sample on-line, but I want more), and the new Tom Clancy books (with Jack Ryan, Jr.).

I love my nook. What sold me on nook versus kindle was AT&T. Kindle uses sprint. They've never been my favorite company. It's easy to use, the books are relatively inexpensive, though they do run the gamut. $0.99 for novellas to $12.99 for new releases. Most of the books I've bought have been in the $5 to $7 range. You can side load library books, free books off gutenberg and other free book sites. And it has the touch screen.

None:D I would get an ipad type device for more functionality.

Yes. ;) It's possible to download iBooks, Kindle, Nook, and Kobo apps on the iPad (possibly more, that's just where I stopped!)... That way we can get access to all of the current major ebookstores from one device for comparison shopping. :)

I don't know a thing about other tablets, but have read that quite a few will be announced at CES this week.

DH had a older Sony e-Reader, replaced it with a new 3g Kindle, became peeved at Amazon (they've been dropping "objectionable" yet perfectly legal works, something he cannot abide; this is not about the "pedophile" book), upgraded his Sony eReader ($75 trade in for old e-readers), and is now selling the Kindle.

Yes. ;) It's possible to download iBooks, Kindle, Nook, and Kobo apps on the iPad (possibly more, that's just where I stopped!)... That way we can get access to all of the current major ebookstores from one device for comparison shopping. :)

I have an iPad and a Sony Reader. I can't read for long periods of time on the iPad's LCD, because it tires my eyes the same way my computer screens do. Fortunately, I experience zero eye strain with my Sony's e-ink screen.

With a Sony I can't (easily) read Kindle or B&N ebooks, but there are several other ebookstores available to me, including Sony's and Kobo.

(I could read Kindle books if I wanted to, but I'd have to go through conversion steps that Amazon wouldn't approve of. However, many who've researched this topic claim it isn't illegal as long as the ebook was purchased legally.)

Edited by jplain

I have an iPad and a Sony Reader. I can't read for long periods of time on the iPad's LCD, because it tires my eyes the same way my computer screens do. Fortunately, I experience zero eye strain with my Sony's e-ink screen.

Yep, the e-ink screen is definitely an advantage! It's much, much better in sunlight than an LCD screen as well as well as easier on the eyes in general.

That is something I do miss. :iagree:

Thankfully I do ok with the backlit screen, but it can be a problem for lots of people.

Edited to add: Oh! I didn't know the Sony reader could access more than one e-bookstore! Definitely good to know!

Edited by Mekanamom

(I could read Kindle books if I wanted to, but I'd have to go through conversion steps that Amazon wouldn't approve of. However, many who've researched this topic claim it isn't illegal as long as the ebook was purchased legally.)

And it also partly the defeats the purpose of an e-reader. I would have a hard time having to sit and download, convert and adjust the books I read for pleasure. I am willing to do it for schoolbooks that are in the wrong format, though.

One more good thing about Kindle is that you can put .pdf files on them. In fact, I create .pdf files in order to be able to put our school schedule (Sonlight style) on my Kindle.

And it also partly the defeats the purpose of an e-reader. I would have a hard time having to sit and download, convert and adjust the books I read for pleasure. I am willing to do it for schoolbooks that are in the wrong format, though.

One more good thing about Kindle is that you can put .pdf files on them. In fact, I create .pdf files in order to be able to put our school schedule (Sonlight style) on my Kindle.

Just FYI, you can put PDFs on the Nook, too.

We have an android tablet 10" and LOVE it! It functions as a computer, wifi, book reader, holds educational games (transfered by usb or downloaded from the internet), plays movies, etc. I am not sure that I would pay for an e-reader only when you can spend a little more and have a complete system in your purse :) Technology is changing so fast!

I don't know a thing about other tablets, but have read that quite a few will be announced at CES this week.

Right. And that's why I usually wouldn't bother. I'd just buy from another ebookstore that IS compatible with my brand of reader. I haven't yet bought any ebooks, but I've comparison shopped, and found that some of the books I might be interested in are actually cheaper on the Sony ebookstore or at Kobo than they are at Amazon/Kindle, especially when Kobo promotions are factored in.

While it is true that the Kindle finally has native PDF support, those who have both still say that Sonys do a better job with PDFs.

I haven't yet bought any ebooks, but I've comparison shopped, and found that some of the books I might be interested in are actually cheaper on the Sony ebookstore or at Kobo than they are at Amazon/Kindle, especially when Kobo promotions are factored in.

This was a major factor in my decision to buy an e-reader. My uncle happened to have a Kindle that he was selling at "a family price" so I jumped on it.

We have an android tablet 10" and LOVE it! It functions as a computer, wifi, book reader, holds educational games (transfered by usb or downloaded from the internet), plays movies, etc. I am not sure that I would pay for an e-reader only when you can spend a little more and have a complete system in your purse :) Technology is changing so fast!

What brand did you get? Have you tried kids' books on it?

While it is true that the Kindle finally has native PDF support, those who have both still say that Sonys do a better job with PDFs.

That doesn't really surprise me. I have to adjust the screen in order to read them properly on the Kindle.

Just FYI, you can put PDFs on the Nook, too.

That's good to know. I have considered buying a Nook as well (for children's books). Although now that I have a bug in my ear about the Android tablets I am going to have to have a look at them before I make a decision about getting a Nook.

• 2 months later...
Guest geurink

You can buy a color Nook on Craigslist and follow instructions online that will turn it into an Android tablet on which you can download from Amazon, B&N, Google books, etc.

Yep, the e-ink screen is definitely an advantage! It's much, much better in sunlight than an LCD screen as well as well as easier on the eyes in general.

That is something I do miss. :iagree:

Thankfully I do ok with the backlit screen, but it can be a problem for lots of people.

Edited to add: Oh! I didn't know the Sony reader could access more than one e-bookstore! Definitely good to know!

I'm actually thinking about selling my Kindle because I have such a problem with the E-ink. I've noticed a serious dimming in my vision since I turned 40 and I find a backlit screen easier to see and less tiring. In fact, I find myself turning to my phone to read books on my Kindle app rather than reading them on the Kindle itself. Particularly at night.

Oh! And Borders is going through a bankruptcy/reorg...you may want to check and see if your local Borders is one of the stores they're closing. I saw Kobo and Sony ereaders in stock yesterday for 20% off.

Barb