Menu

Anyone go through nursing school...

while homeschooling?! Is that a crazy thought? I have 4 little ones that I will be schooling. I would take 1 class (all pre-reqs) at a time and THEN get into the nursing program. So in about 4-5 years. BUT, then I believe it has to be done full-time, clinicals, studying, etc.

Has anyone attempted this? Should I quit being selfish and wait until they are out of the house?

Just curious. My husband would be able to be around as needed. He has the option of working from home.

Thanks!

Yes, that's crazy.

How could you meet the needs of four little people, school, and do your school and still be a wife and mother?

I know my voice is going to be boo'ed and I know it's going to be unpopular, but little people need mothering. Four little ones need an attentive mother. No one can do all things. And unfortunately when being forced to choose between outside commitments and home commitments it is ALWAYS the home commitments that get the short end of the stick. I wish I could be more supportive.

And I'd like to add - not necessarily until they are out of the house! But certainly until you are not so very NEEDED mentally, physically, and emotionally to be present and interactive for their well-being. And I tell you, that time will go much faster than you think!~

Yes, that's crazy.

How could you meet the needs of four little people, school, and do your school and still be a wife and mother?

I know my voice is going to be boo'ed and I know it's going to be unpopular, but little people need mothering. Four little ones need an attentive mother. No one can do all things. And unfortunately when being forced to choose between outside commitments and home commitments it is ALWAYS the home commitments that get the short end of the stick. I wish I could be more supportive.

And I'd like to add - not necessarily until they are out of the house! But certainly until you are not so very NEEDED mentally, physically, and emotionally to be present and interactive for their well-being. And I tell you, that time will go much faster than you think!~

Thanks. I respect that advice. I am sure my circle of friends would say the same!! I missed my opportunity premarriage by not taking college seriously (pre-Christian years). Once I became a Christian my eyes were opened, the light went on, and I clearly could see God's plan for me. That included nursing school. I started it and quit because I got pregnant. So, I guess His plans are for me to be a mother and wife now and if doors open I can do school later. ?? Maybe start pre-reqs one at a time during their teen years? I just have a 10 year old transcript already and had the possibility of some courses transferring now. I don't think they will appreciate a 20 year old transcript! Haha.

:confused:

I don't think they will appreciate a 20 year old transcript! Haha.

:confused:

Many schools will only take prereqs for a limited time. I think at my cc it's a 7 year delay, maximum. So if you took a prereq over 7 years ago, you'd need to show some proof that you knew the material (placement test for math/English for instance) and I think any prereq but core coursework (anatomy) would need to be retaken.

If you were taking some general ed coursework (math, English, history) more just for you - and viewed it as continuing ed as a homeschool teacher, that might make more sense. I teach math at the cc in the evenings. I generally have taught 2 classes. This past semester, I've just completely burned out. I'm only teaching 1 class in the spring. I've often been very grateful to be the instructor and not a student - and it's still more work than I'm willing to put in right now. For a student to LEARN the material, it'd take a LOT of time. I also see a lot of students in the prenursing programs who will not make it. Nursing a tough program. (And I see a LOT of underprepared students who aren't willing to put in the time to learn math.)

I'm going to have to second the "it's crazy" opinion.

I am nurse and I went to a 4 year Baccalaureate school....it was really tough...I worked several jobs during school to help pay for it and I was really at the end of my rope most of the time - exhausted, stressed and broke!

I can't even begin to imagine doing it while mothering 4 children and being the kind of wife my husband and family would need.

Let this time be your time with the family - you have begun a wonderful thing in them, now help it to grow as only you can. A nurse needs to have her own family cared for in order to care for others effectively.

I can say that from experience - I was the night charge nurse in a busy ICU and ER. When I started I had no kids and when I ended I had dropped to 1 day a week...with 2 kids. It was really hard. The kind of hard where I didn;'t always recall what day it was. Fortunately we worked out our finances and I've been at home ever since...and have had another kid. I am very fortunate and I remember that every day.

blessings,

Michele in LA

I went through a LPN program. When my oldest was 9mo old I took 1 pre-req at a time. It took me 4yrs to get all my pre-reqs done, that is with a 1 yr break to have DD2. I didn't return to college until DD2 was 6mo and my daughters were watched by a good friend of mine who was a SAHM at the time. I didn't work and my husband worked a job that had him frequently travel or work 12 hour shifts. Several semesters I had to take more than 1 classes because of when the course was offered. Once I was in program it was full time for 1 yr. By full time I mean 20-30 hours a week of class instruction. 16 hours a week of clinical time for the first 7mo. Last 3mo of the program was 12 hours of instruction with 24-36 hours of clinical time. DH worked it with his employer that he would not have to travel during that time and limited 12 hour shifts. My friend who had been our sitter for years came down with Cancer several months prior to me starting the program and so the girls attended a small in-home daycare. DD1 was in 1/2 day public K at the time. We were able to work things so that the kids spent no more than 28-32 hours in daycare a week. DD2 was 2yrs at the time. I chose an LPN program over RN because to total time commitment was 1 yr in program vs 2yrs in program.

I personally think it is possible to home school and take pre-reqs but I think it would be very difficult to home school and be in a nursing program full-time but if you have a good plan in place totally doable. I plan to Home school and get my R.N. in a few years. I start taking one pre-req at a time for my LPN to RN transition program in the fall. Doing it "peace meal" style I should be able to start the program in 2-3 yrs and have my RN in 9mo (full time study) I plan to homeschool during it all.

I also plan to return to work in the summer a few shifts a month. Odd shift it for when DH isn't working. He has since started working for a new employer and has every other Friday off with out any travel for his job.

Edited by Mrs.Gregg

while homeschooling?! Is that a crazy thought? I have 4 little ones that I will be schooling. I would take 1 class (all pre-reqs) at a time and THEN get into the nursing program. So in about 4-5 years. BUT, then I believe it has to be done full-time, clinicals, studying, etc.

Has anyone attempted this? Should I quit being selfish and wait until they are out of the house?

Just curious. My husband would be able to be around as needed. He has the option of working from home.

Thanks!

What!!!! Selfish??? Really!!?????

What is selfish about sacrificing even more of your time and putting yourself through the wringer of college to be able to help provide for your family, especially with a great career in an uncertain economy???

Yes, it will be tough, you know that. But if you and dh thought it through and think this will benefit your family, it can most certainly be done. We are not talking about you being out of the house full time. You are taking one class at a time for your pre-reqs, a very doable proposition. The nursing program will be tough, but it's a two year program (probably) and will end. It's a blip in the life of your child but will benefit your family for years to come.

Please don't write this off crazy if you truly feel in your heart this is for the betterment of your family. You can do this. Really:001_smile:

I have five kiddos. After my third I realized that the only way dh and I would be able to save for a house and secure any real future would be to add another income. After thinking and praying about our options, I decided on a four year nursing degree. Dc were 8, 6, and 4. I had my last two while in school. Like you, I took one pre-req at a time (CLEPing many other liberal art requirements to speed things up). I was able to schedule my classes on evenings and weekends. Once I entered the nursing program, I had to do more daytime clinicals than I wanted, but by then I was bound and determined, and my dear mother was able to stay with the kids.

I could go on and on about the ways you could make this work with your family, but only you can decide if this is right. I'm sorry you're getting such a lukewarm response, but I'm of the camp that if you are really committed to something and feel it will benefit your family in the longrun, then you can accommodate your school schedule and live through it. Believe me, everone will survive. I've always homeschooled, never would choose one over the other, and we managed. I also care for a profoundly disabled daughter. We all pulled through.

I graduated five years ago. Not a day goes by that I don't praise the Lord for helping me through so that I can care for my family this way. I can work four shifts a month and give our family the security we could only dream of before. When I think of the sleepless nights preparing for clinicals, I can say with certainty it was well worth it.

Please feel free to pm me for encouragement.

blessings,

Lisa

Edited by Momto5girls

I am typically one to be completely supportive but....

I think this may be a little crazy. I'm a full time student at a 4 year university, homeschooling just one, and I'm stretched very, very thin. Sleep is an extremely precious commodity for me, one I don't get nearly enough of.

I can't imagine trying to take on the education of 4 other people in addition to my own. It just seems like a lot.

and, FWIW, I am planning to go on to graduate school and get my PhD, so I also plan on doing a demanding program. But, it is just DD and I, and we live in a very small apartment. So my responsibilities outside of our education are limited, very little to clean, very little to take care of. And I've also already started to make DD responsible for her own schooling, and will continue to do so as appropriate. I see you have one that is still a baby... in another 4-5 years that child will just be starting school, and not able to do anything indepedently.

(BUT.... if you really, truly feel called to do this, feel like your life won't be complete without it, and you have a strong support system in place.... don't listen to anything I've said. Listen to this instead:: You can do it! It will be tough, and will require some tight scheduling, but... it *can* be done. Good luck!!)

Sorry, I have to agree with some of the others. Nursing school is very hard. I did it before homeschooling and with children in ps, and even that was difficult. It's very time consuming, even if some of the classes are on-line. Doing clinicals requires finding childcare, which it sounds like you have covered. Ugh. I'm tired just thinking about it. Also, at least here in AZ, the market is saturated with new grads who are having trouble finding jobs in our present economy. New grads cost too much to train.

That being said there are plenty of nursing students who work full-time. They just don't get a lot of sleep, I think.

I did a four year BSN program as a single mom of two publicly schooled elementary aged girls. It was easily the most stressful time of my life, and I am an Army veteran. I can't imagine doing it and homeschooling. I am the kind of person that book learning comes easily to, and nursing school nearly kicked my butt. My advice, don't do it unless you are prepared to be tested to your limits of endurance both physically and mentally.

For me at the time it did mean a great deal of financial security once I graduated and of course that is important and a great motivator. If you just want to be a nurse because you feel called to do that work and don't absolutely need the job to help support your family it would be a heck of a lot easier on you to wait til your kids are older and able to do most of their work independently.

If you just want to be a nurse because you feel called to do that work and don't absolutely need the job to help support your family it would be a heck of a lot easier on you to wait til your kids are older and able to do most of their work independently.

I would argue the opposite. I think it's easier to meet the educational needs of a K or first grader than an older child (I just noticed the OP has children age 6 and under). Providing lessons in basic reading, writing, and math can easily be done around her schedule. An older student, although able to work independently for much of their work, requires, in my opinion, more energy than a six year old. Her youngers are under 4; by the time she graduates, they will just be starting their real education. I think now is the best time, actually.

Lisa

I started nursing school prerequisites when DS was 3.5 and DD1 was 4 months old. I started an accelerated (running through the summer) nursing program when DS was halfway through K, and I graduated with my ASN last April, when DS was almost 7 and 3/4 of the way through 1st grade, DD1 was 3, and I was just finishing up the first trimester of DD2 - lost 15lbs due to morning sickness, but still managed to graduate! We homeschooled that whole time, though I admit that last semester was kind of a write-off between school and the pregnancy.

There was another homeschooling mom in my program (I believe her kids were around 9 and 13), and one of the instructors, who also completed her MSN during the course of our program, homeschooled her high school aged kids.

So yeah, maybe not ideal, but possible and doable (with 2.33 kids, anyways). Honestly, in some ways I think homeschooling made it easier - my classmates were always worried about picking up their kids on time and holidays that didn't coincide and things like that.

Like you, my husband worked at home. I still did most of the homeschooling, but childcare wasn't an issue, at least. Because he's self-employed, he was able to do most of his work when I was out of school and responsible for the kids.

You really need a lot of buy-in from everyone in the family, especially DH and the older siblings who will be picking up most of the slack.

It sounds like you're looking at a BSN program. I'd suggest looking at ASN programs, too. That would save you at least a year, without a huge difference in opportunity or pay, and ASN to BSN programs are often more self-paced.

There are part time programs, but they're few, far between, and hard to get into because nursing program aren't really convenient for anyone except the independently wealthy.

I seriously recommend going into it only if you really feel passionate about going into nursing. Yes, it's a high demand job that pays well and has a short workweek... except that it isn't really high demand right now, especially for new graduates. This will hopefully change by the time you'd be graduating, but no guarantees on that! And the schooling is an awful lot of work if you're not sure it's what you really want to be doing.

I think now is the best time, actually.

Lisa

But and then what? Begin a career when the harder work begins?

I think mama, and I respect your willingness to listen with an open mind, that we look at what we want short term and we don't see what they lead to...

So, for example, if you go to school and you graduate... And I don't doubt for one second that it CAN be done, it CAN. But there will be a cost and not necessarily financial.

I guess what I'm asking is where do you see yourself in five years? Are you and your husband going to continue to homeschool? Because if so, I don't see how getting a degree now or taking time from the family at the present time, would further your goal for your five year plan.

Because, at the end of the training, there will be pressure to pay off the loans or get a job or have something to "show" for all that effort. The temptation to get a job and make that extra money might very well crowd out your true goals.

I admit I'm biased because I think on this on a practically daily basis. I'm preparing my dd to go to college but I'd rather she get married, have children, and live happily ever after. Some days I feel like I'm setting her up all wrong in her goals by splitting her allegiance.

I understand where you're at. Frankly you're giving 110% to four kiddos and you have hopes & dreams and things you'd like to do for YOU too. I really get that. But I'd hate to see you put yourself in this vicious cycle of doing/expecting too much from yourself so that you have to sacrifice true priorities.

Blessings,

~Kelly

If you feel called to do this I don't think it is crazy AT ALL!

My mom started nursing school in her mid-30s, with 3 kids 6 and under, hadn't set foot in a classroom since high school, and a husband who was supportive (actually, signed her up) but didn't help out one bit (typical for the time, I guess). She is a terrific mom, patient, calm, and not a selfish cell in her.

Yes, it was tough, but she did it. Says she never cracked a book open until after us kids were asleep, managed to pull straight A's.

It was absolutely the BEST thing she ever did for us! We saw her struggle and overcome the challenges, she demonstrated learning as a life long activity. She modeled everything we try to teach our kids with words. We all had moms, but OURS was also an RN. We were proud of her. A few years later she went back and got a BA in business (hospital admin).

She helped provide for the family. I think the professional outlet was good for her, too. That confidence and "life outside" in turn gave us an ever better, happier mom.

Nursing is great in that you can work PT and in different settings (per diem pays well, and could choose to work just a couple weekends a month). To hs as well, you'd need dh's help and a plan. Most of the pre-reqs and even many of the nursing courses are now online at CCs. It's tough, but doable.

I'd suggest you post your question on an RN forum board. You might get better responses from those who are btdt. Good luck with your decision!

Edited by ChandlerMom

Well Call me crazy!!!!!

I'm entering next month. I have 4 - 13, 10, 4, and 1. The way mine is set up the waiting list is so long that I can take all my prereq (only needed sciences - they must be under 5 years old and mine were way long ago) as well as all non clinical nursing classes. Leaving me to only fight my way through clinicals when the nursing part starts. I'm also going the ADN route first and then to an online BSN program second.

Let me explain why. I'm 40!!!!! I have a 1 year old. The economy has destroyed everything as we know it. There is a real possibility that I could be a widow in my 50's with kids ranging from elementary to college with NO FINANCIAL SUPPORT AT ALL! HELLO!!! IN today's job market, my previous degree would require way too much work/effort/ and take way too long to build up the clientele to make any money. We would be homeless and on the street long before I could produce enough income to keep us in our house.

We could continue to scrape by or we could continue to scrape by knowing that in 2 years, I would have a job that could produce some serious money while working around my family life. WHILE WORKING AROUND THE FAMILY. And before the family moved out still needing braces, cars, college themselves and all that. Gee whiz, we can't even afford a dog right now! I can pull a couple of night shifts or a weekend shift when hubby is off. And god forbid if anything happened to the man, I would be able to still get full time work around the kiddos. The lightbulb went off and within a month and half, I was enrolled.

Now onto your question, No I don't think you are crazy. You need a way to support yourself if something happened to your hubby. You need to make sure you have some way to take care of everything if you need to.

As for when to do it-- Given your ages, I would bust my butt to get as much done as possible right now! The first few years are the lightest years of homeschooling. You're not going to discuss The srewtape letters and grading papers like you will when they are older. If you went fulltime and even did a BSN program, you would still only have a somewhere around an 11,10, 8, and 6 year old roughly. The first year you would even have to consider homeschooling all 4. :001_smile: And that's still only roughly 5th, 4th, 3rd or 2nd and kindy. (all rough estimates but you get the idea) A lot easier I think to do it now and get it out the way then wait until then to enter the actual nursing part and have to get through 6th and 7th grades while in school yourself.

I'm having to figure out homeschooling high school while going through the program.:001_huh:

I am doing it. It is doable. It is a lot of work. You have to be very organized. You have to have help. It may not be for everyone, but it is working for us.

I am finishing my pre-reqs/non-nursing courses this spring and *fingers crossed* will be enrolled in the Fall 2011 nursing class. I have been going mostly full-time for several semesters. I was able to do all of my non-nursing courses online, except for the science courses, which I am taking in person. I took two science courses this fall and will take two more in the spring.

My children go to daycare ~3.5 hours per day, four days per week. When we are home, we homeschool. Period. We had to drop co-op. My children still participate in Tae Kwon Do and art, and my eldest still plays in a band that meets ~40 minutes away from home. We are trying to swing scouts, but it's been tricky. We may drop it.

I am busy; however, while enrolled in the nursing program I will only be taking one or two courses per semester (since I will have already completed all of my other courses by then). Yes, clinicals will be tricky. We will figure that one out when we get there. We will make it work.

That said, we were already several years into our HSing adventure when I went back to school. I feel like I had things sort of figured out by that point.

You are not talking about being on campus full-time for four years. You are talking about stretching a 2.5 or 3 year program into probably 5 years. You will be a part-time student. You can do that.

I tried to go to school after my 3rd child was born, but that was not the right time for me. I quit after two semesters as a part-time student. This time is different.

My husband is so completely supportive of me. My children are proud of me. I feel *good*, better than I have in a long, long time. I look forward to each day, to each new challenge. I know that sounds dramatic! :tongue_smilie:

Feel free to PM me if you want to. I just wanted to encourage you. :grouphug:

I am all for it and totally encourage you. If you feel you can do it...do it. I am currently in college full time and I dont ever open my books until after my son is asleep or when homeschooling is over. Provided I only have one child but that in itself has its own set of challenges, like lack of entertainment from siblings...LOL. I totally think you can provide your children the undivided attention they require with homeschooling and take atleast the majority of your pre-req courses and general Ed courses yourself. It may take awhile to get your "rhythm" down but you can do it.

I feel that furthering your education to prepare yourself to contribute to your household income is an awesome way to ensure your financial ability to continue homeschooling. It is one of the least selfish things you can do for your kids! :grouphug:

...I think I fall into the "only do this if you need this to absolutely financially survive" camp.

I'm just finishing a M.S.Ed. degree that I began prior to us thinking about hsing. My son attended ps for K & half of first, and then we pulled him due to a bad situation. He is now in 2nd, so I've only been part-time going to school and hsing for a year and I am now done. I HAVE HATED IT!!!! I haven't had enough time to do school as well as I wanted to and I haven't had enough time to hs like I want to. Luckily my son is far ahead, but if he had needed me more, he would have been out of luck. My dd, 5, is still in pre-school, so I haven't had to deal with hsing her. So we're talking 1 year and 1 hs'ed child here. I would never advise anyone to do it for any longer than that, because the bottom line is....your children's education WILL be shortchanged. Yeah, for a year or so it doesn't much matter, as you can make it up....but longer than that, I think you need to look at putting the kids in public or private school.

The truth is, school is just the beginning, because after school you'll be looking at going to work. And I'm not convinced about the "family flexibility" aspect of nursing for new grads. My cousin graduated from a top nursing school three years ago. She looked for TWO YEARS to find someplace that would take her part-time...turns out no place (anywhere in WA state) wanted an inexperienced new grad part-time...they did desperately want part-time workers who had at least two years of full-time experience in whatever particular department they were hiring for, and they most emphatically did not want to have to pay for expensive training for a p-t worker. She finally found a per-diem program that only required six weeks of full-time training...but she only works one day a week at most, and sometimes goes weeks without getting called (per diem's are expensive). So really know what you think you'll be getting, and what the commitment level will be.

This is a diverse board, so you're going to get diverse answers. I pray you come to the decision that is right for you.

You're not being selfish, or crazy. If this is something you want, that will be of long-term good to your family, you should absolutely do it. You have to have a good plan, and helpful supportive people in your life, and make sure you keep your priorities straight (for me that's family first, school second, everything else after that).

I'm doing something similar (not nursing school, though), in order to secure a much better financial future for us, where I'll be able to work part-time making good money while the kids are still young and homeschooling. Right now I have an advanced 1st grader, a tornado-like 2yo, and am expecting number 3 next month. I'm taking my first three classes right now, and things are going fine. If all goes according to plan I should finish up everything in mid 2013.

I think another poster already mentioned this, but part of my decision to do this NOW and not put it off was realizing how vulnerable I'd be if anything ever happened to my husband. We're about to have our third kid, and I'm really not qualified for anything but minimum wage crappy jobs. I'm not the type who likes to even think about worst-case scenarios, but my mother was a young widow and I can't pretend nothing bad could ever happen.

Mostly I want to be able to contribute financially to our future, be able to afford opportunities for the kids that are out of our reach right now...and I want it without completely sacrificing my stay-at-home, homeschooling lifestyle. If I can figure out how to make that work, why shouldn't I?

Sometimes I feel like I've got an awful lot on my plate, and the next few years are going to be really busy. But I couldn't be happier with my decision, and my family is too. :001_smile:

Anyway. That was my lengthy way of saying you can do it if you want to. Don't let the naysayers discourage you! :grouphug:

...I think I fall into the "only do this if you need this to absolutely financially survive" camp.

I'm just finishing a M.S.Ed. degree that I began prior to us thinking about hsing. My son attended ps for K & half of first, and then we pulled him due to a bad situation. He is now in 2nd, so I've only been part-time going to school and hsing for a year and I am now done. I HAVE HATED IT!!!! I haven't had enough time to do school as well as I wanted to and I haven't had enough time to hs like I want to. Luckily my son is far ahead, but if he had needed me more, he would have been out of luck. My dd, 5, is still in pre-school, so I haven't had to deal with hsing her. So we're talking 1 year and 1 hs'ed child here. I would never advise anyone to do it for any longer than that, because the bottom line is....your children's education WILL be shortchanged. Yeah, for a year or so it doesn't much matter, as you can make it up....but longer than that, I think you need to look at putting the kids in public or private school.

The truth is, school is just the beginning, because after school you'll be looking at going to work. And I'm not convinced about the "family flexibility" aspect of nursing for new grads. My cousin graduated from a top nursing school three years ago. She looked for TWO YEARS to find someplace that would take her part-time...turns out no place (anywhere in WA state) wanted an inexperienced new grad part-time...they did desperately want part-time workers who had at least two years of full-time experience in whatever particular department they were hiring for, and they most emphatically did not want to have to pay for expensive training for a p-t worker. She finally found a per-diem program that only required six weeks of full-time training...but she only works one day a week at most, and sometimes goes weeks without getting called (per diem's are expensive). So really know what you think you'll be getting, and what the commitment level will be.

This is a diverse board, so you're going to get diverse answers. I pray you come to the decision that is right for you.

I don't teach nursing, but that's the #1 major at the community college where I've worked for almost a decade now as a professor. I've always worked, taken classes here and there (one at a time), and homeschooled.

I have known some moms who have done it, but it is indeed a hard, hard road. I also know some who gave up. Something will have to give, especially if you don't have a lot of help at home from your husband and/or kids. Doing everything well isn't possible, and burnout is probable. I've faced that in my own studies, and I only take one class at a time.

I also agree that the nursing field is getting much tighter. The graduates I know who are getting the good jobs were already working full-time in the medical field as medical assistants, aids, medical clerks, etc. before they got to the clinical stage where the majority have to stop working or drastically reduce their hours. The stay-at-home moms who went back are having a much tougher time, and part-time work is indeed mostly for the experienced in my area at least.

So not necessarily a clear road, although it might be worth considering.

Edited by GVA

Wow. Thanks for all the advice and things to think about. I will have to continue to pray and talk with my husband. I think I may talk to the college advisor and see what the schedule would actually look like. I am already realizing that childhood goes fast, my first already 7! I want to cherish these years and be there for them. I do believe I could do both (school and homeschool), but still don't know if it is the best choice. Money is a minor factor. It would be great to have that security in case something did happen to my husband. And I know when my kids are out of the house I will want to work, at least part time, and then extra money would be nice. I did have a great at-home medical transcriptionist job. I just recently quit it. :glare: I got sick of the work. Bored, not making as much as I used to before they changed systems, etc. I felt secure financially with that job but just couldn't do it anymore.

I really do want to be a nurse. I worked in group homes and enjoyed the medical aspect and patient care. Love learning about medical things.

Anyways, thanks so much for everyone's input! :grouphug:

I did two degrees online while being home full-time with my kids, and two masters. I have four kids. My degrees are in health science and pharmacy. It's do-able.

Hang posters up all over the house. Read oitloud all the required reading in the evenings of week 1 and 2, then play them on an iPod or the lounge room stereo all semester. Studied smarter, not more; show your kids that you value your own education, that education is for all

Hi! I went through nursing school fresh out of high school. I got married half way through, but I didn't have children. It was the hardest and best thing I've ever done. I can't tell you what you should do. I think praying about it and really discussing it with your husband is an great start. I did want to point out, though, that there could be no harm in going ahead and starting on those pre-reqs one at a time. That is absolutely doable, and an excellent idea!!

Also, I wanted to tell you that being a nurse is wonderful! I believe it is probably the best career for a mom to have while homeschooling!

God bless you!! Let us know what you decide to do!!

Yea, area makes all the difference. Nursing is an understaffed, underemployed market here. In my immediate area (30 miles or less) there are 4 major hospital systems -major as in huge employers and drs from around the state send patients here -and the medical school. Drive less than 2 hours in 3 different directions and you have 2 more major (and differently owned) hospital systems and 2 MORE different medical schools- one is technically in a different state. Combine that with a poor performing state wide education system and a high rate of drug and violence crimes and the candidate pool for nurses is rather slim. They can't pump out enough nurses fast enough. The school can only educate a handful at time (hence the two year waiting list) The classifieds are filled with one job after the other every single week for nurses of all levels and many other non nurse positions as well. All the hospitals systems here have a new nurse hire program and the local nurse school pumps them into them twice a year.

And I don't know any nurse that works only part time. Everyone I know is considered a full time hire. But their schedule is like Sat/Sun/Monday night every week with home school Tuesday through Friday or 24 hour Sat shift with a night shift one day during the week. Another homeschool mom works 7pm -7 am 3x a week. One works Sat morning until Monday morning. (I'm not sure if she gets time off and just crashes at the hospital or what but she's divorced so her kids stay with dad on the weekend and she works) My cousin works Tues and Wed every week.

I think a very close inspection of your area, the number of out coming new nurses and the number of incoming jobs need to be scrutinized heavily. All the hospitals have web sites now. You can go though and keep a weekly check on their job listings and see how fast the jobs fill up and how fast they turn around. And see about their new nurse hire, benefits, and sign on bonuses.

Thanks!

I am doing exactly this right now. Still in the 'one at a time pre-reqs' phase. I need to get an A in each pre-req to get into the nursing program (I understand it's VERY competitive), so I'm taking them one at a time. So far, so good.

I have no idea what we'll do in four semesters when I'm ready to apply to the nursing program. My boys are so young, and it would of course be full time. My husband is hoping he'll have some flexibility at that time and be able to work from home some. But the truth is, we just don't know. Honestly, from what I understand, it will be like working a full time job for two years straight to get my RN license. So, we may just put the nursing program on hold for six or seven years. But, the thing is, some of my pre-reqs (that I haven't taken yet) expire after five years, so we'll have to really pay attention to all of that.

Another option we're considering is the college has a one year program to get your LPN, and then a separate one year program to get your RN if you already have an LPN. We may decide to go that route. You know, to kind of break up the work load. I could get my LPN, then when we felt ready, go back for my RN.

Whatever we decide, dh and I have spoken at length about our priorities. The boys will NOT be put in school; we will homeschool no matter what. And, my first responsibility is to my husband, children, and home. I just don't know how I'll balance that with full time school. It's hard enough with just one class a semester. We'll certainly be in a lot of prayer about it.

And when it's all said and done, I have no intention of working full time, so long as we have children at home (barring, of couse, unforseen circumstances). I would work one or two shifts a week, until the children are grown. Even then, I don't know for sure I'd work full time. Keeping my home is my first priority, and I find that extremely difficult to do while working full time. I know some women do it, but I just don't know how. :D