Menu

suggestions needed to ward off stomach flu

this is a spin off another thread I started....but let me recap just a minute...my 6 year old came down with the stomach flu this morning...we were scheduled to begin our 10 day vacation to visit grandparents (2 sets) out of state...we live in Nebraska and g-parents live in both Iowa and Michigan. The trickiest part is that for Christmas the Michigan grandparents bought the boys tickets to the Detroit Lions game on the 2nd of Janurary...so I am sitting here praying that nobody else gets sick...so we can still try and go...so I was wondering if there is ANYTHING we can do to up our immune systems...we have been taking D3, cod liver oil, olive leaf extract and I am forcing Vit C in every way possible...anything we can do???

Isolate the sick child and wash hands and surfaces like crazy. Good luck!

this is a hard one..because all of our bedrooms are upstairs and there really isn't a place downstairs...I hate putting him where I can't get to him quickly when he needs me...if he were older..I would do that...so right now he is on the couch...the other kids are still at church..but they will be someplace else I guess when they get home. I have been spraying EVERYTHING with Lysol and washing hands and using sanitizer like crazy too.

Just because he threw up doesn't necessarily mean "stomach flu" - it's Christmas...if he's been eating all sorts of treats, different foods than usual, plus being up late, wound up, excited, etc etc.. that can all do it.

(It's happened to both of mine - dd more than ds - when they were younger.)

My DD had it yesterday - puke, fever, sore throat. And today - she's doing great. Not 100%, but up and playing Kinect, eating, drinking. She slept most of yesterday and all night. I'm in the throws of washing everything she touched and when we head out to run some errands later I'm Lysoling the whole house. (I did do that every time she went into the bathroom yesterday). I've also taken Emergen-C and am making sure everyone has taken their vitamins. Not sure any of it'll work - but hey - all the sheets will be clean!

I wouldn't leave today. I would call both sets of grandparents and tell them what was going on so they would be forewarned if things do not go as planned. Then, I would take it on a day-by-day basis and leave the first day that no one was sick.

I'd wait 24 hours to see if anyone else gets sick and if DS gets well. Probably about 90% of the time, my kids have been sick like that (throwing up) for only 24 hours. Unfortunately, about 75% of the time, the rest of my kids get sick, too, within 2-3 days.

If this is cutting it too close and at least one adult and one child are well, I'd have one parent leave with all the kids who are well, and one parent stay home with the sick people. This is a very unattractive solution, though.

Isolate the sick child and wash hands and surfaces like crazy. Good luck!

:iagree: This is what we always do. Towels all over the sofa, and a bucket. We also designate a bathroom if they can make it there instead of the bucket - no one else uses that bathroom for the day. No getting up except to go to the bathroom - I allow videos all day for this. Other kids not allowed near sick kid (ie not on towels). Soiled towels go right in the wash, on hot (wash whole load at end of day). Wash hands after being anywhere near kid. After the pukes are over, disinfect bathroom and everything else.

We have been able to keep the pukes to just one person this way about 95% of the time (knock wood).

:iagree: This is what we always do. Towels all over the sofa, and a bucket. We also designate a bathroom if they can make it there instead of the bucket - no one else uses that bathroom for the day. No getting up except to go to the bathroom - I allow videos all day for this. Other kids not allowed near sick kid (ie not on towels). Soiled towels go right in the wash, on hot (wash whole load at end of day). Wash hands after being anywhere near kid. After the pukes are over, disinfect bathroom and everything else.

We have been able to keep the pukes to just one person this way about 95% of the time (knock wood).

this sort of sounds like what we do...right now I have my son's bedding all in the wash (on hot)..and will do everybody's bedding before night time...

I wouldn't leave today. I would call both sets of grandparents and tell them what was going on so they would be forewarned if things do not go as planned. Then, I would take it on a day-by-day basis and leave the first day that no one was sick.

I'd wait 24 hours to see if anyone else gets sick and if DS gets well. Probably about 90% of the time, my kids have been sick like that (throwing up) for only 24 hours. Unfortunately, about 75% of the time, the rest of my kids get sick, too, within 2-3 days.

If this is cutting it too close and at least one adult and one child are well, I'd have one parent leave with all the kids who are well, and one parent stay home with the sick people. This is a very unattractive solution, though.

This is what I would do, too. Good luck!

Having had to travel when I had the stomach bug.... I was 13 and begged my dad to stop at a hotel and that I would even pay for it myself... Listen to your kids if they are getting sick. That is a trip I will NEVER forget; it took us 14 hours to drive the usual 8. Please be prepared for the possibility of illness striking you on the road.

Can you get some Oscillococcinum? It's a homeopathic remedy that shortens flu. Other than that, I'd do vitamin D in higher than normal doses (if appropriate) and lots of fluids.

Hope he feels better soon.

what would you consider "normal" for adults and kids (6,8 and 10)

don't have any of the homeopathy you mention...but will look for some for the future...any other homeopathy??

Can you get some Oscillococcinum? It's a homeopathic remedy that shortens flu. Other than that, I'd do vitamin D in higher than normal doses (if appropriate) and lots of fluids.

Hope he feels better soon.

Not trying to be difficult, but....This is supposed to be for influenza. The stomach "flu" is completely unrelated to influenza. I have never heard of Oscill. being used for a stomach virus. But the vit D should be useful.

Do you use probiotics? I would do mega doses of probiotics for everyone. We also isolate the sick child and I sanitize everything I can think of with bleach water.

I hope you get to take your trip!

Marlene

we have these...what is considered Mega dose for adults and kids (6, 8 and 10)