Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - Week 51

Today is the start of book week 51 and the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Where are you in your quest? Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

52 Books Blog - The beginning of Winter and Christmas tidings: Winter solstice and lunar eclipse coinciding for the first time since 1554 AD

Merry Christmas everyone. Please share some of your christmas traditions, special books you read, movies you watch.

What are you reading this week?

This week I finished reading #66 - The Total Money Makeover, by Dave Ramsey. I read this because I have seen it recommended so many times on this board.

I am currently finishing a book I started in the summer . . . It's the book I read twice in high school and upon which I did my senior thesis - and it's the book that I posted on here that I simply could not get through it and couldn't figure out what I had so liked about it all those years ago, and now, it was a major uphill battle to read. You all - wisely - advised that I just let it go, that life is just too short to stick with a book you are not enjoying. So, I let it go, returned the book to the library.

Then, while sorting through my personal books, I came upon my copy from high school and remembered how I'd invested all that time in reading it earlier this year, but hadn't finished it. Something in me rose up and said, "You will finish it!" So I located the chapter I had concluded with back in the summer, noted how many pages I had left in this particular copy (352) and realized that if I would read only 25 pages a day, I could finish the thing in 14 days, just 2 weeks! I made a chart and delved in. Funny thing is, I'm really enjoying it now. :confused: I am reading every chance I get and I am 100 pages (4 days!) ahead of schedule! In fact, I have only 102 pages left and I will be finished with the book (and will have met my goal of 12 classics this year). So, right now I am waltzing through #67 - Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens.

No, I haven't figured out why I am now *into* the story - and frankly am not going to waste any brain time on it!!! I will, however, dig out my aged thesis and read it when I finish the book. :D

I'm still working my way through A Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything by James Martin. I am enjoying it thoroughly but I'm reading it slowly and somehow I got distracted and took a couple of days off to reread a book I read many years ago, The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken. It was a nice walk down memory lane and it had all the lovely gothic characteristics of an old fashioned English children's book.

I stopped Augustine's Confessions at chapter 10, that's all the Study Guide we were using did. So I didn't technically finish it. Oh well.

52 Books Blog - The beginning of Winter and Christmas tidings: Winter solstice and lunar eclipse coinciding for the first time since 1554 AD.

Wow. I knew a lunar eclipse was coming up, but I didn't realize this! Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas everyone. Please share some of your christmas traditions, special books you read, movies you watch.

Merry Christmas to you too!

No specific books or movies for the holiday season here, though I'm reading Hogfather aloud to the dc (at their insistence) & they are loving it. :lol:

Reading and really enjoying Half Broke Horses. I didn't think I would like it much, so it's a nice surprise. I wonder if I'll like her other book. I think that others said it was really sad. If so, I'm not particularly in the mood for very sad these days, or ever, for that matter. ;)

Today is the start of book week 51 and the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Where are you in your quest? Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

What are you reading this week?

I am on the 10th book of the 39 Clues series as of today. They are only about 150 pages each but they are a fun read. Started pre-reading to make sure they were ok for my 10 year old and got hooked.

Our annual reading of Jotham's Journey, by Arnold Ytreeide for Advent bean the 28th of November and the last page will be read on Christmas Day. One of our more delightful traditions this book/devotional is one we look forward to year after year.

We also read Cranberry Christmas, The Mole Family Christmas, and a handful of other old and treasure picture books. I used to wrap them and read one a week. This year I decorated with them.

Reading and really enjoying Half Broke Horses. I didn't think I would like it much, so it's a nice surprise. I wonder if I'll like her other book. I think that others said it was really sad. If so, I'm not particularly in the mood for very sad these days, or ever, for that matter. ;)

Her other book (The Glass Castle) is not sad, imo. She has a way of telling about her challenging, different childhood & making it seem adventurous & even fun. I would say she's definitely an optimist & all her writing & story-telling really reflects that. (Same as in Half Broke Horses. Some of the scenarios in there reflect harsh times, yet they are told w/ a good dose of optimisim & hope.)

If you enjoy Half Broke Horses, I'd say you'd definitely enjoy The Glass Castle. :001_smile:

I am currently finishing a book I started in the summer . . . So, right now I am waltzing through #67 - Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens.

Glad to see you are finally enjoying it. I had to read for lit class last year. Happy to say I found it interesting.

No specific books or movies for the holiday season here, though I'm reading Hogfather aloud to the dc (at their insistence) & they are loving it. :lol:

Just added Hogfather to our wish list - looks good.

I am on the 10th book of the 39 Clues series as of today. They are only about 150 pages each but they are a fun read. Started pre-reading to make sure they were ok for my 10 year old and got hooked.

Our annual reading of Jotham's Journey, by Arnold Ytreeide for Advent bean the 28th of November and the last page will be read on Christmas Day. One of our more delightful traditions this book/devotional is one we look forward to year after year.

We also read Cranberry Christmas, The Mole Family Christmas, and a handful of other old and treasure picture books. I used to wrap them and read one a week. This year I decorated with them.

Thanks for sharing. I have the first 39 clue's book which I also bought to preread for my then 10 year old. On my list to read in 2011. Just don't have time. But I have the feeling once I start reading it, will be hooked.

I gave up on Erin Healy's book. Couldn't get into it, so shelved for another day. Started reading the first book in the Keeper series. Three different authors wrote each book - The first book, Heather Graham 2nd Alexandra Sokoloff and 3rd by Deborah LeBlanc.

:lurk5: My plan fell apart months ago. I'm still on book 47, and sadly there is no time to squeeze in a reading marathon.:leaving:

I'm pretty much where you are & doubt I will get anything else read this year. I consider my reading year in 2010 a success. I more than doubled the amount of books I read in 2009. :D

:lurk5: My plan fell apart months ago. I'm still on book 47, and sadly there is no time to squeeze in a reading marathon.:leaving:

Well, you are doing much better than me. I am still on book 36. :D

I'm pretty much where you are & doubt I will get anything else read this year. I consider my reading year in 2010 a success. I more than doubled the amount of books I read in 2009. :D

Just the fact you all read as many books as you did is great. If you discovered something new or a new to you author or just enjoyed your reading time then I would call that a success. There aren't any failures in reading challenges.

Her other book (The Glass Castle) is not sad, imo. She has a way of telling about her challenging, different childhood & making it seem adventurous & even fun. I would say she's definitely an optimist & all her writing & story-telling really reflects that. (Same as in Half Broke Horses. Some of the scenarios in there reflect harsh times, yet they are told w/ a good dose of optimisim & hope.)

If you enjoy Half Broke Horses, I'd say you'd definitely enjoy The Glass Castle. :001_smile:

:iagree::iagree:

My review is up - Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers. I have already read my 52 books and am having a hard time deciding what to read now that we are on break and what to save for next year!

Last week I read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin and this week I am reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. My husband gave me a Kindle for my early Christmas gift, so I have been enjoying it. I do hope I continue to read real books, though. So far, all of the Kindle books I have gotten have been free or cheaper than the paperbacks.

That's still good! I didn't even keep count and many of my books this year have been y/a. It's helped me learn what my dc like to read, though, which is particularly importante for my ds who is reluctant to read fiction generally. Right now he's enjoying two of the books I preread and I'm getting the hang of it. So, while I know I did more than 52 books, can I really count that reading those kinds of books more often than not?

This is the first time I've clicked on a "Book a Week" thread and this looks awesome! I just finished a book last week and started a new one yesterday; is it too late to join for this year? What is one meant to do? I don't have a functioning blog anymore for book reviewing.

We have one week left so I think it's a tad too late. :) But you aren't too late to join in for 2011. if you don't have a blog just keep track of the number of books you read and tell us about the books you read in each week's thread. Look forward to hearing all about your picks each week.

I consider my reading year in 2010 a success. I more than doubled the amount of books I read in 2009. :D

Same here. :001_smile:

I'm still reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It's book #43. I'm also listening to Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Love Jim Dale)which is book #44.

I think I did well this year with reading. 2009 I think I only read 13 books. So this challenge has been great. I look forward to 2011.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

We have one week left so I think it's a tad too late. :) But you aren't too late to join in for 2011. if you don't have a blog just keep track of the number of books you read and tell us about the books you read in each week's thread. Look forward to hearing all about your picks each week.
I'm just going to call this week's book "Book Number -2 of 2011." :)

I'm just popping in late--I failed at blogging for the past couple of months, and I was going to just make a fresh start in 2011. So I put a post on my blog listing the books I'd failed to blog about--I did read a book a week, just failed to say anything--and the author of one of them commented (!!) and asked for my thoughts (!!!). So here is week 51--Growing up bin Laden, by Jean Sasson. She commented there too!