Menu

Knitting or crochet first?

I have a 8 yo DS and 6 yo DD who are both interested in learning to knit. Christmas stockings have brought up the idea again. I haven't learned to knit, but I have crocheted -- not recently, but it's not completely foreign. I'm not sure whether to steer my DC to crocheting, or try to all learn together (I'd get a head start). Waldorf starts knitting in first grade, so it seems like it should be age appropriate for my little girl.

Thoughts? Anyone BTDT?

I tried to teach my children to knit at those ages and was not successful.

However, they were successfull with crochet.

Now at 12 and 14 they both knit instead of crochet.

I think crochet may be easier since there is only one hook and not two needles.

Just my experience, others may have a different experience.

Whatever you choose, have fun and enjoy your time together~!

I think it depends on who's teaching. If you're stronger at crochet and it's what you know, than that would make sense to learn first. As far as what is easier, since I learned to knit first, I find that to be much easier than crochet. I'm also left handed, and all my crochet teachers have been right and taught me right, so I have to get myself over the awkwardness of that.

It really depends. I've been able to teach my dds how to:

use a knitting tower

finger knit

I have not been able to teach them to:

crochet

knit

They have tried. The lady at my local yarn shop said that this things skip generations and I need someone else to teach them. Most people learn from grandma. I didn't have a grandma so I learned from a book.

I'd try finger knitting first and then move into crochet and later knitting. The reason Waldorf teaches knitting in Kindergarten/1st grade is because it uses both hands and has crossing over which is good for development and pre-writing skills. By 2nd grade the writing skills are somewhat developed and they use their dominant hand to crochet.

I wish you luck.:001_smile:

finger knitting and looms are really easy for that age. crocheting (imho) is easier than knitting with needles though. i had my daughter crochet chains for a week before we moved onto the next step. i also by-passed the single crochet and taught the double crochet only ( i think it's easier to "see" where the next stitch should go with the double crochet). we've only worked on pot holders and scarves so far.

A friend and I are teaching a homeschoolers' needlework class. The average age of the students is probably 9-10. They have had much better luck with crocheting. They can do basic knitting, i.e., knit, purl, decrease, increase, but basic crocheting allows them to do more. Because of that they can make more projects and it is much more rewarding for them at this point. Holding two needles, and the yarn and controlling the tension on the yarn is harder than one hook.

Mary

I am no expert by any means... but i'll share our experience. I am proficient at both knitting and crocheting. My son wanted to learn to crochet but at 7, (and being left handed while i'm right handed) he could not figure out how to hold the yarn to keep tension. So we went to knitting. Now i just let him hold the yarn against the needle and not worry about tension and he did just fine with knitting. BUT! His absolute favorite and what he actually does now is loom knitting. Way easier because it does not involve holding tension. He's 8 now... has made a hat for himself and numerous other small projects. Yesterday he started making some ornaments for gifts on a spool loom :)

Good luck! It's so much fun :)

Our experience... was great with knitting. One of my sons had knitting in 1st grade at home with me and we had a very good time with it. He did a smallish scarf. He loved the one on one with me. I was very involved, but we both liked it.

My 11yob wanted to crochet this fall. It has taken weeks of practice, taking out and re-doing because of the yarn tension and holding the hook and all. My 3rd daughter learned to crochet when she was in 7th grade and it wasn't such a challenge for her.

I recommend the knitting, myself.

Very interesting. I didn't count everyone's vote but from reading the responses, it seems that folks are split almost 50/50. I may try the crocheting with them first since I could help more with that... but I'll see what my DC have to say, I haven't broached that idea.

**I** want to learn to knit -- so I'm going to start that on my own. Wish me luck!! :)

Very interesting. I didn't count everyone's vote but from reading the responses, it seems that folks are split almost 50/50. I may try the crocheting with them first since I could help more with that... but I'll see what my DC have to say, I haven't broached that idea.

**I** want to learn to knit -- so I'm going to start that on my own. Wish me luck!! :)

You should check around to local yarn shops to see if they have get-togethers. Our group meets a couple times a week, depending on when you can make it, and even had an earlier session for the younger girls wanting to learn. I always find it MUCH easier to learn new techniques/stitches when someone can physically show me rather than trying to watch a video or read it from a diagram. If you daughters are more interested in knitting, might be something for you all to do together.

I haven't attempted to teach either of my girls to knit or crochet yet, but I taught myself to crochet first. It made more sense to me. I just recently taught myself to knit and I'm still struggling with it.

I think some people are just natural crocheters, and some are natural knitters. My SIL has a tough, tough time crocheting, but can knit like a wizard. I'm the opposite.

I've been knitting since I was knee-high to a grasshopper (probably between 4-5 according to Mom); but, as yet, I have been unsuccessful at teaching ds, who is seven. We haven't tried in more than a year, though! ;) Frankly, teach what you and your dc prefer. I love the look, practice, finished articles of knitting.

I'm terribly biased, so I vote knitting. But if you don't know HOW to knit, I think you'd be best off finding someone who is a master to help teach you and/or your dc. When I was learning to tat from books, I failed every time! When I had my dear friend show me, I learned in five minutes. A live person is truly the way to begin to learn these skills. That being said, nowadays there are quite a few websites with free online tutorials and videos which are of great help to the beginner.

Afterwards, there are a tremendous number of excellent books and programs about knitting which can take you from beginner to proficient. My favorite is Knitting Workshop (which has an accompanying dvd program available from Schoolhouse Press or amazon.com) by Elizabeth Zimmermann.

Most of all, GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!

P.S. My SIL is a crochet wizard, and, I am sure, would recommend beginning with crochet:D

Edited by Medieval Mom