Menu

I need to pick out a doll for dd6 for Christmas...

Did you look at the Bitty Baby, since you are already familiar with the quality of AG dolls? Gotz, Lee Middleton and Corolle seem to make nice quality baby dolls at more reasonable prices. They are on Amazon and I have found them in independent toy stores here as well as a resale chain called Tuesday Morning. Corolle has some in the $80+ range, but also play dolls in the $20-$40 range, depending on where you buy them.

I had to pick one of those up last year---it was a specific request from the child we "adopted" for Christmas presents through our church social justice program. It meant I had to venture into the aisle of possessed baby dolls at the stores:eek:! It's really creepy to me to have all those dolls start talking, moving, etc when you walk down the aisle.

Guess I saw too many things like "Chuckie" and that creepy episode of "Twilight Zone" where the dolls come alive in the night.:) I never would get my daughter some of the stuffed animals and things that moved (and they lost batteries quickly if they came home from elsewhere).

I second the Waldorf style dolls...they have baby versions too. If I hadn't gotten my dd her AG doll 2 yrs ago before I'd seen the waldorf ones I would have bought them instead! They're gorgeous and I'd buy one from a fellow sewingmama or artisan on etsy- always feels good to support a small business/designer.

My dd7 LOVES dolls and her favorite baby dolls have been a Madame Alexander one that she got two years ago and her Fisher Price Little Mommy dolls. The Little Mommy dolls that we have don't do anything or don't have any bells and whistles just a baby doll. She is getting a Bitty baby for Christmas this year.

We really like the Corolle dolls here, too. They are very nicely made and hold up well and are reasonably priced.

Have you seen the new Madame Alexander 18" dolls? They had them at Sears, but it was hard to judge the quality because they were in boxes. They might be another option if you want something similar to an AG doll.

We bought an 18" madame alexander doll from Toys R Us two years ago. In 6 months the arm broke and the hair quickly matted. It had such a sweet face a dd loved it so much that I bought her another one of the same doll to replace the broken doll. Same problems with broken arms on the second doll. The limbs cannot be repaired. So this year she is getting an american girl doll. I should have saved myself some money and bought a quality doll in the first place.

Last year we bought a Gotz doll for a different daughter. A year later the doll is still beautiful and the hair is gorgeous.

Thanks everyone! :grouphug:

I know AG has quality dolls, so I am going with the bitty baby. I love the look of the Corelle Dolls and also the JCToys dolls but I like the bitty accessories. :)

My girl definitely doesn't want a Baby Alive doll, she wants one of those dolls that really look like they are alive! Here is another for those interested. ;)