Menu

There is a reason that I found a white hair today!

The conversation went something like this:

"Mom! (shouted from across the room as if I am deaf) This problem won't come out even!"

me: "Yes, it will. You've probably made a simple error."

him: "No I haven't!"

me: "You probably have. Bring your notebook and text here please."

him: "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM it's not going to come out right!!!! The stupid book is wrong."

me: "Possible, but not likely. Statistics indicate that the most likely culprit is a simple computational error on your part or the possibility that you didn't follow the order of operations properly. Let me see your work."

him: "grrrrrrrrrr"

me: "Don't growl at me!" him: "I'm growling at algebra."

(Look over work and immediately spot the error.)

me: "Son, what is 5 x -5?" reply, "15". "No, it is not 15." "Mooooommmm, the answer is 15". "No it is not. What is 5 x -5?" "Mooooooooooom....oh wait...25."

me: "No, it is not 25 but you are closer." him: "MOM! It is toooooooo 25."

me: "NO it is not. What is five time neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegative five."

him: "oh, drat......-25."

me: "There's the problem. I think you owe the textbook an apology."

him: "I hate algebra."

me: "I used to like it. But, I have to admit...I am beginning to hate it as well though probably not for the same reasons!"

(Multiply this times about 20 algebra problems and you get me.)

I may just make him pay for my next hair color as he is absolutely the reason I am getting white hairs!

I'm now hiding in the bedroom with coffee and a piece of dark chocolate. So much for the anti-fungal, zero sugar diet today!

Faith

Laurie4b, he is 13...will be 14 in two months. DD was easy at this age. I have determined that there is a reason that in some species, the mother eats the young and I'm pretty certain it has to do with 8th grade boys.

The funny thing is....I used to teach music and one year I had twenty-seven male children of the less than enthusiastic academic kind in one class, all ages 11-14. We had a great year. When they gave me attitude, I turned into an army drill sergeant and they practiced rhythms by marching to army cadences or doing calisthetics in time to music. These techniques are not working on him; he likes army drill.

I think he and his brothers may have perfected some sort jurassic park hunting method and they are stealthily stalking my mental and will eventually devour me, kimodo dragon style....probably so they can have free grazing rights in the kitchen and pantry.

Dh had a dream the other night that I divorced him. He said that in his dream, I sited as my cause, "He made me have boys." I assured him that I love him as well as my sons but yes, there was some small chance that I'd fly the coup for a couple of months after the last one leaves for college. I did promise to come back.

Faith

Dh had a dream the other night that I divorced him. He said that in his dream, I sited as my cause, "He made me have boys."

:D:D:D:D

I could definitely relate to the Math Fiasco (including the growling:glare:) but that dream really cracked me up!

Cat

PS. I laughed so hard at your algebra story, but when it happens to me with ds, I'm usually not laughing...

"Mom! (shouted from across the room as if I am deaf) This problem won't come out even!"

him: "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM it's not going to come out right!!!! The stupid book is wrong."

me: "Possible, but not likely. Statistics indicate that the most likely culprit is a simple computational error on your part or the possibility that you didn't follow the order of operations properly. Let me see your work."

me: "Son, what is 5 x -5?" reply, "15". "No, it is not 15." "Mooooommmm, the answer is 15". "No it is not. What is 5 x -5?" "Mooooooooooom....oh wait...25."

me: "I used to like it. But, I have to admit...I am beginning to hate it as well though probably not for the same reasons!"

I may just make him pay for my next hair color as he is absolutely the reason I am getting white hairs!

I'm now hiding in the bedroom with coffee and a piece of dark chocolate. So much for the anti-fungal, zero sugar diet today!

Faith

OH MY WORD!!! If my dd was adopted I'd say she was a twin separated at birth from your son!!!!

I can't tell you how many times this year (why this year, I don't know - wait, yes I do).... Anyway, I can't tell you how many times this year my son has made a division error and wailed about the problems that "don't come out right", etc.

I have to think it must just be the hormones kicking in and causing temporary brain death....

Faith

Thus the reason I am sitting in my office eating an ice cream cone....

sigh

~~Faithe

The "book" is always at fault here, too!! Finally, we've turned it into a joke. But, for years, and I do mean YEARS, my oldest was convinced that HE could never be wrong and that the book always was.

I'm on Round 2 of algebra with child #2. Same comments!! And two more kids to come!!

But, I will say that at this point, I can solve those dastardly word problems that so troubled me when I was in school.

Bring on the L'Oreal Preference Hair Dye 6AM or 6R!!

Faith

:lol: :smilielol5: :lol: :smilielol5:

Chocolate is the answer to many ills of the stress variety. Dark chocolate especially.

Hedgehog (who is comforting herself with Terry's Twilights :tongue_smilie: )

Laurie4b, he is 13...will be 14 in two months. DD was easy at this age. I have determined that there is a reason that in some species, the mother eats the young and I'm pretty certain it has to do with 8th grade boys.

The funny thing is....I used to teach music and one year I had twenty-seven male children of the less than enthusiastic academic kind in one class, all ages 11-14. We had a great year. When they gave me attitude, I turned into an army drill sergeant and they practiced rhythms by marching to army cadences or doing calisthetics in time to music. These techniques are not working on him; he likes army drill.

I think he and his brothers may have perfected some sort jurassic park hunting method and they are stealthily stalking my mental and will eventually devour me, kimodo dragon style....probably so they can have free grazing rights in the kitchen and pantry.

Dh had a dream the other night that I divorced him. He said that in his dream, I sited as my cause, "He made me have boys." I assured him that I love him as well as my sons but yes, there was some small chance that I'd fly the coup for a couple of months after the last one leaves for college. I did promise to come back.

Faith

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: This is hysterically funny. Glad you can laugh! And your dh! My goodness! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh..my..goodness! HOW in the world did you get my son to come do his algebra at your house and torture YOU? I - am - so - sorry! I have to deal with this every single day. I don't know how he got out. I'll have to add some more locks to the door, I guess. :) :lol:

Just playing, of course. It is absolutely identical to the conversations I have every day with my guy. He, also, is 14. I'm amazed they were able to even print this math book with the number of errors it apparently has in it. The errors are always on the problems he gets wrong, too.