Menu

When you do that 'make your own butter in a mason jar' thing...

It is not crucial, but it makes it much more efficient.

Another trick that is probably safer for the jar is to put in a tiny bit of lemon juice. 1/4 tsp per cup of cream is about right. You don't taste it, but it helps the cream to separate faster.

The leftover whey is GREAT in soups. I have also heard that it's pretty nutritious.

This sounds like fun!

Can you tell me how to set this up?

Well, we did it, and it came out fine!

I put a pint of heavy whipping cream into a glass mason jar and we spent 15 minutes shaking it pretty vigorously (my daughter and I took turns).

When the 15 minutes was up, I opened it and it was sort of thickened to like a paste, and we added a bit of salt. Then I decided I wanted to transfer it into something a bit bigger as the mason jar I was using was full like to the top (I didn't have a bigger one), so I poured it into a quart sized chinese soup container with a lid, and we went back to shaking it in that.

It said to shake for another 15-30 minutes from that point on, we did about 20 more minutes and it looked pretty done to me!

We then strained it so that the liquid all drained out and we were left with the butter.

I rinsed the butter a few times, then sort of smooshed and stirred it with a wooden cooking spoon to get as much of the rest of the liquid out as I could, adding a bit more salt, too, then we put the butter into a small dish and refrigerated it for a bit to chill it.

It came out great, we really enjoyed it on the loaf of rye bread I bought today. :)