Menu

My dd got a pat down going into a football game today!

She went to the Titans game today with her best friend's family. Everyone in line was patted down going into the stadium. No notice was given that this would happen. She didn't think it was a big deal and I didn't hear about it until after the fact. I am in shock. :eek: I absolutely can not believe this. Well actually, I have been saying it was just a matter of time but even I believed that it was probably the over active imagination of an admitted conspiracy theorist. It's not just airports anymore people. :cursing:

I don't think it's a big deal, either. Patdowns and other security measures at large public events aren't anything new; I can certainly remember them from my high school days a good 25 years ago. Offhand, I can recall patdowns and/or metal detectors at high school football games and nightclubs (not always, but at random).

Pat downs and metal detectors have been a part of rock concerts here for a long time. The pat downs were minimal, just checking for potential weapons. Nothing like what Tsa is doing. No big deal. I can see something similar at big sports events because like rock concerts they do at times get out of hand and the last thing needed is for someone to pull out a weapon. I do not in any way advocate TSA style inspections anywhere.

1984 - here we are...:glare: I'm wondering if less exposure to the media would be a great cure for our culture of fear that we've got going now... If you put it into perspective, this is one of the safest places in the world -and not because of patdowns or metal detectors.

Our neighbor said that our elementary school here is like a mini-prison. She said they have to walk through the hallway with their hands behind their backs. Our parents' generation didn't have to live like that! Sheesh! Oh, well. Sorry to hear about the patdown. It doesn't sound like it bothered your daughter.

Pat downs and metal detectors have been a part of rock concerts here for a long time. The pat downs were minimal, just checking for potential weapons. Nothing like what Tsa is doing. No big deal. I can see something similar at big sports events because like rock concerts they do at times get out of hand and the last thing needed is for someone to pull out a weapon. I do not in any way advocate TSA style inspections anywhere.

:iagree:

I've been to a lot of NFL games (we do volunteer work for the Jags) and the pat down there is very minimally invasive. They run their hand down the middle of your back and then around to your sides. That's it. They don't touch your front or anything below your waist. If you are wearing a baseball cap, they make you take it off and show that nothing is underneath and if you are carrying a bag, you have to open it up. They don't put their hands in the bag but will feel it from the bottom of the outside. The whole thing is over and done with in seconds.

It's so non-invasive that it is essentially useless. We often joke after going in that if we really wanted to bring in a weapon or bomb we could easily do it. Oh well, I guess it makes them feel like they are making "us" feel safer by doing it. :001_rolleyes:

ETA: BTW, this isn't new. They've been doing it for years.

I have never had a pat-down, not in an airport. Not at a concert. Not at a baseball game or football game. Not when I went to see President Reagan when we lived in Florida, nor at any time in high school, nor when President Bush (the first) spoke at my college graduation (metal detectors, yes -- taking away the beach balls, yes). Not when I attended any USNA graduation with VPs and others. I have a nearly 42-year pat-down-free life... and I like it that way ;-)

It happened to my daughter, too, when she went to the Stanford-Cal football game last weekend. Arms, legs, midriff, .... She said that she wasn't too terribly disturbed, but I think it bothered her a bit. All the kids entering the game got equal treatment; one line for boys and one for girls. They took away her umbrella (it was definitely going to rain that day!) and her friend's water bottle. This was after being given a list of what they were allowed to bring into the stadium...

~Kathy