Menu

Would you eat it?

Usually pickles have enough vinegar/salt that they don't really have to be refrigerated. They weren't in the olden days. That was the whole point about pickles was to preserve veg in a time with no refrigeration. I wouldn't worry if it was over night, I'm not so sure about a week. I think I would look them over and decide based on look and smell.

I would. I think. Maybe.

I ate something that fell into the WYET category, but I didn't enjoy it at all, and kept thinking/worrying about food poisoning. I threw it out and made pizza for everyone else, and thankfully I never did get sick. So while I think it would be okay to eat the pickles, I don't know if I could bring myself to do it.

Helpful, right? :lol:

Usually pickles have enough vinegar/salt that they don't really have to be refrigerated. They weren't in the olden days. That was the whole point about pickles was to preserve veg in a time with no refrigeration. I wouldn't worry if it was over night, I'm not so sure about a week. I think I would look them over and decide based on look and smell.

Well, that's the reason I considered it--the old-fashioned pickle jar on the counter in the store when I was a kid! ;)

They do look and smell fine.

Well, that's the reason I considered it--the old-fashioned pickle jar on the counter in the store when I was a kid! ;)

That's what I was thinking too...

I'm having an unstoppable pickle craving, so I ate one.

Tasted fine, and I'm not dead *yet*.

(I'm also not looking forward to pickle barf...just sayin'... :001_huh:)

:lol:

Glad you made it. (I'm sure the pickles are fine; I wouldn't worry about them.)

They do look and smell fine.

There are still stores that keep the pickle jars on the counter and sell them individually. They are fine to eat as long the brine is clear (like someone else said.)

Snort...:D

Our refrigerator thermometer went a few years back and we had to toss everything according to the repair man. I'm still pretty sure the pickles would have been fine. :001_huh:

I'm having an unstoppable pickle craving, so I ate one.

Tasted fine, and I'm not dead *yet*.

(I'm also not looking forward to pickle barf...just sayin'... :001_huh:)

My (previously opened)3 gallon jar of Vlasic dill pickles was left unrefrigerated for a week. :svengo:

Good, or gone?

3 gallon jar? Phew! That's huge.

Where do you find these things and would it really fit in your fridge anyway? :001_huh:

Glad to hear it worked out. I would have to say I would probably eat it. It is preserved to be kept at room temperature. I put mine in the fridge simply because I like them cold.