Menu

Looking for homemade (from scratch) dessert recipes...

I want to make more desserts. I want to make them from scratch...meaning nothing from a box! But I really don't have many recipes for that. Oh, I can make a mean apple pie, and various types of cookies...but that's about it. I would love to have a variety of desserts I can make on any given day where I have most of the ingredients in my cupboard. For example, my family loves brownies but, unless I have a box of brownie mix, I am clueless! I know brownies MUST be pretty simple to make from scratch. :confused:

Do you have any (tried and true) homemade dessert recipes you'd like to share? :D:D;)

The Moosewood brownie recipe is the best (basically lots of eggs and not much flour -- deliciously moist brownies). I don't know it off the top of my head, but you should be able to google it.

Why not just go to the library and browse through the beautiful cookbooks there? We would have done more of that if we had more time in America.

Happy baking!:)

I like the more cake-like brownies as opposed to those that have the texture of raw dough.

1 stick butter

2 ounces (2 squares) of unsweetened chocolate

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 350*F. In medium sauce pan melt butter and chocolate. Remove from heat. Add eggs one at a time stirring well after each. Stir in vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt (I sift them together first). Pour mixture into greased 8x8 square baking pan. Bake at 350*F for 25-30 minutes.

Edited by Parrothead

Have fun at Disneyland!:)

THANKS! It's been years since we've gone to Disney. The whole family got free tickets when we worked a community work day on MLK day and we have FINALLY pinned the older boys down so we could all go together. Yay!! With their school and work schedules, we rarely get to do anything as a family, so this is a treat. :D

I am a chocolate loving girl... but this is hands-down my favorite cake recipe! I use it for everything - birthday cakes, wedding cakes, and it is to DIE for as strawberry short cake! (Okay, I'll admit, I also love to just stand there and eat it warm out of the pan.... lol!)

White Cake

1 cup milk, room temperature

6 egg whites

1 tsp almond extract

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 1/4 cups cake flour

1 3/4 cups sugar

4 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

3/4 cup butter (6 oz), softened

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Grease two 9 inch cake pans with vegetable shortening, line the bottom with parchment paper, grease the parchment paper and flour the pans.

Combine milk, eggs whites and extracts in a small bowl with a fork. Set aside.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in an electric mixer and mix at slow speed with a paddle attachment. Add butter. Continue beating at slow speed until mixture looks like wet sand (If you’re doing this by hand, sift the dry ingredients together and rub in butter).

Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat at medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining milk mixture and beat for an additional 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary. Do not overmix.

Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and gently shake to smooth batter. Bake 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Let cakes cool in the pans for 15 minutes then invert onto racks to cool completely before frosting. Unfrosted cakes can be frozen for 1-2 weeks.

Serves 12-16.

Taken from Baking Bites.

Here's the very best chocolate cake in the history of the universe (IMHO).

Texas Sheet Cake

Do you want only easy recipes? I have a recipe for a gingerbread cake with maple whipped cream frosting. It's not hard, but a little more work than some others. I'll have to find it if you'd like. It's definately a holiday dessert.

I found it online! HOw easy was that - Gingerbread Cake with Maple Whipped Cream Frosting

and is kind a scratch. It's called a Dump Cake down here but I've heard it go by many names. It has 5 ingredients and is super easy. Take 9 X 13 pan. Put can of Cherries, A can of Pineapples, 2 cups of pecans (or nuts that you like) Take a box of yellow cake mix and put it on top of that (just the dry cake mix, don't put the water and other stuff in it) then put pats of butter all over the top. Bake it at 375 for about 30-45 mins. Very easy and really good. You can really use any kind a canned fruit you want. I don't really like Pineapple so when I make it I use 2 cans of Cherries.

FUDGY BROWNIES

2 cups sugar

3/4 cup baking cocoa

1/2 tsp baking soda

2/3 cup vegetable oil, divided

1/2 cup boiling water

1 1/3 cup flour

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup chopped nuts

optional: sprinkle chocolate chips on the top before baking

In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa and baking soda.

Add 1/3 cup oil and water; beat until smooth.

Beat in the remaining oil, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour.

Stir in walnuts.

Spread into a greased 13x9 baking pan.

Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes, check with a toothpick if you want.

These are the best, least expensive homemade brownie recipe I have found (and I am quite the connoisseur!) I leave out the nuts, and I only bake mine for about 26-28 minutes in a 9 x 9 pan. I also started sifting the flour so there aren't any lumps.

When I want to make homemade desserts, I go to my Grandmother's 1961 Betty Crocker Cookbook. They have a tab for cake, one for cookies, one for desserts. They don't have those kind of recipes that are pseudo homemade - you know that start with something like cake mix and adds a few ingredients.