Menu

How much do I need to clean for refinance appraisal?

We've got a refinance appraisal coming up this week. How thoroughly do I need to clean?

Thanks!

You don't need to clean at all. You're not showing the house, like when it's on the market! They're trying to determine how much your house is worth.

You don't need to clean at all. You're not showing the house, like when it's on the market! They're trying to determine how much your house is worth.

:iagree:

When we did our refi about 5 years ago they didn't even come in the house. They asked me some questions at the door about improvements and then looked around the house and at the roof.

they do NOT base their evaluation on decorations.

Our house was a major pit when our appraiser came last month... DH forgot to tell me he was coming (at least I was not still in my jammies!) He was inside about 5 minutes then gave us an appraisal for way MORE than our house could be sold for... anyways we had no trouble getting the refinance done--saving over $300 per month with very minimal cost (less than one year to recoop).

I didn't clean. The place was a disaster - I wasn't even there, for some odd reason (DH was). And yes, the mess is immortalized in the paperwork.

The appraisal was the most thorough of any I can ever remember. We weren't thrilled with the appraisal amount (less than we had paid for it), but that was the result of the detailed formula - mostly the short sales down the street - not the mess.

• 1 month later...

We had the appraiser come today with short notice for our refinance. I wasn't fazed about it until he pulled out the camera :001_huh:. He photographed every room in the house! I only had about an hour notice, so my house was not in the condition I would have liked... especially for photos. At least I was able to keep the kids out of the way (thanks to playdoh!) so it went quickly. I wonder what they do with the photos after the appraisal is finished... I didn't think to ask him. Should it bother me that some stranger has photos of my kids' messy rooms and my dirty kitchen floor or am I just overly embarrassed by the condition of the house? Time for some chocolate to make me feel all better :lol:.

We had ours done in the last week or two. He said new law requires that he film the major rooms (living, kitchen, bathroom, master bedroom), but our bank requires every finished room to have pictures taken.

He also measured lots of stuff. It takes longer then you think.

I was so glad I picked up the cat box area in the bathroom. :tongue_smilie: