Menu

Time Traveler's Wife...

Just watched it.

First, I'm biased. I can't stand artsy films like this. I can't stand gratuitous rear end. Very early on, dh wanted to turn it off; I said 3 more min. And then, accd to dh suffered from "chronological depravity."

Ok, so I didn't like it. Didn't even want to like it. But...

Do you think the experience of the TT's wife was...something like the experience of a person whose spouse has a chronic illness? You're accepting of the disease, furious at the disease, and completely not in control of it.

More, but...I guess I'll stop.

Just watched it.

First, I'm biased. I can't stand artsy films like this. I can't stand gratuitous rear end. Very early on, dh wanted to turn it off; I said 3 more min. And then, accd to dh suffered from "chronological depravity."

Ok, so I didn't like it. Didn't even want to like it. But...

Do you think the experience of the TT's wife was...something like the experience of a person whose spouse has a chronic illness? You're accepting of the disease, furious at the disease, and completely not in control of it.

More, but...I guess I'll stop.

I hated the book. I wouldn't subject myself to the movie....sorry you had to endure it.....

Faithe

I read the book...thought is was...ummmm....odd. I saw the movie and thought it was more....ummm...odd.

One thing I liked is that the author was "real" with the wife's feelings about her husband's "illness". She gets angry and irritable and come to terms with it, etc. it wasn't all a happy hollywood ending

But it was still weird.

And the author's next book , "Her Fearful Symmetry", was REALLY REALLY ODD.

I thought it was.... trite.

Laura

:iagree: I chalk it up there with so many other books depicting egregiously unhealthy relationships with women who cling to dysfunctional jerks in the name of "true love."

My primary complaint about the movie was the character of Gomez. He was my favorite character in the book (much to the amusement of the others in my book circle, who think I always favor the questionable guys), and the movie turned him into such a saddo.

I agree with Heather that the next book is weird.

I could not read the book. It was way too descriptive, if you know what I mean. It was also so confusing for me.

I liked the movie, though.

Yep.... exactly that. I bought the book at an airport to keep me busy on a flight and just couldn't read it. I was surprised when I liked the movie.

Wow... I saw the movie, liked it, but thought there had to be more to the story. So I bought the book, really liked it, and I've read it several times. There's something about the writing style that I found raw, and yet effective. And so, that was probably part of it - analyzing the writing - but I liked the story too.