Menu

Which careers are in high demand right now?

LuvingLife

I was just wondering what careers are in high demand right now? I have been doing some research, and I found that music therapy isn't in such high demand right now, so I may need to find something else to do.

I would really like to pick a career and stick with it, I want a career that will take me places and won't have to worry about not having a steady job. I know there are times this may happen, but I don't want my job to be a constant worry for me either.

These are the things I like so far:

Music (still leaning a lot towards this)

Nursing/doing something in the medical field

Photography

Vet, Vet Tech

Journalist

Do you think any of these would be in high demand for a long time? Thanks!

I would really like to pick a career and stick with it

the way things are, very few people get to choose one career path and stick with it to the end of their lives. Even with a well thought out choice, you should be prepared for the possibility that you will change careers at some point in your life. most people do. It is not necessarily a bad thing. Your life situation changes, and what was the perfect career choice for one stage of your life might not be suitable to another. So keep an open mind.

I would second the suggestion of nursing. Another benefit of nursing is that you can often work part-time, 1 or 2 days per week. That schedule would allow you to stay in the working world and draw a salary but still allow you to spend a lot of time at home with children.

Vet or Vet tech also seem like fields that will be popular, especially as the aging population turns to pets for companionship.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Anything medical (or computer) is tops on the lists I've seen. I would think therapy jobs would be in that category too. Education is usually on the list too so you may consider music ed.

Honestly, I was a music performance major (voice) & I don't recommend it. You can take lessons, do shows & ensembles to your heart's content, but spend the $$ to get a degree that will help you get a paying job. Music jobs are all about your talent & your resume & possibly who you studied with---a degree doesn't mean squat, in my experience.

I say medical as well. Nursing can also lead to jobs in the administrative side of nursing as well.

Vet tech careers are rewarding, but I would check the average salary. I worked as a vet assistant (not licensed) for five years. The salary was not enough to live on and at that time techs didn't make much more. Nursing is most likely going to give you a better living wage and more opportunities.

I would second the suggestion of nursing. Another benefit of nursing is that you can often work part-time, 1 or 2 days per week. That schedule would allow you to stay in the working world and draw a salary but still allow you to spend a lot of time at home with children.

Vet or Vet tech also seem like fields that will be popular, especially as the aging population turns to pets for companionship.

Best wishes,

Brenda

That's what alot of people have been telling me, and I was actually set on being a nurse for a while, but then I changed my mind again and started showing interest in the music field. Vet is still on the list as well!

Giving music lessons can also be done on a flexible basis. What are you most passionate about?

Christine

I really like music and photography so much!!

Anything medical (or computer) is tops on the lists I've seen. I would think therapy jobs would be in that category too. Education is usually on the list too so you may consider music ed.

Honestly, I was a music performance major (voice) & I don't recommend it. You can take lessons, do shows & ensembles to your heart's content, but spend the $$ to get a degree that will help you get a paying job. Music jobs are all about your talent & your resume & possibly who you studied with---a degree doesn't mean squat, in my experience.

:iagree: with what you are saying. I think music ed would be a good field too!

I say medical as well. Nursing can also lead to jobs in the administrative side of nursing as well.

Vet tech careers are rewarding, but I would check the average salary. I worked as a vet assistant (not licensed) for five years. The salary was not enough to live on and at that time techs didn't make much more. Nursing is most likely going to give you a better living wage and more opportunities.

I think I will start looking more into the medical field, to see what is out there and what jobs are in high demand on top of the other careers I want.

Thank you everyone!

That's what alot of people have been telling me, and I was actually set on being a nurse for a while, but then I changed my mind again and started showing interest in the music field.

Interestingly, my dd, who is majoring in nursing and completing a minor in music, was told by her advisor that this combination of interests is very common. According to this prof., the artistic side of music and the compassionate urges that lead someone to choose nursing come from the same parts of the psyche.

A nursing degree is never wasted. I was an RN and haven't worked in 16 years, but I use my knowledge every day as a mom, woman, daughter, wife, and friend.

Going into nursing does not mean you have to give up music or photography. They can both be wonderful parts of your life, you can still further your education in those subjects and continue getting a lot of joy out of them (and who knows, maybe one of them will even lend itself to some side business at some point in your life).

I always wanted to be a professional musician, but that did not happen. So I am still an "amateur" in music - but I have made music in all the different cities and countries I lived in, have found friends through music, am enjoying performing as a counterweight to the demands of my career and my role as a homeschooling parent.

Making a living as a musician or artist is tough and requires not only skill but also a lot of luck - but that is not the only way to make music part of your life.

My sister's hospital has laid off nurses since the economy went bust, and she said new nurses are having a hard time finding jobs. This is in Baltimore - maybe it's different elsewhere.

There is a CPA shortage, if you have any interest in that. The accounting field offers good salaries and lots of flexible job options.

I'm not sure how some of that info can be right. Co-pilots making $100k? I know senior pilots make a lot. But I think junior-level pilots make under $30k for many years when they start their career. A friend of mine who was married to a pilot told me that about 10 years ago - I think it's still true because of the news reports that came out not long ago when that plane flew too far b/c the pilot and co-pilot were asleep - I think I heard they were very low-paid low-level pilots.

Anyway...it just makes me wonder where they got their data.

My sister's hospital has laid off nurses since the economy went bust, and she said new nurses are having a hard time finding jobs. This is in Baltimore - maybe it's different elsewhere.

I just heard this last week in Southern California, also.

However, this is not the case in the south east, where there is a shortage in most cities. Hospitals still have to meet a minimum standard of care to maintain their accreditation, so I expect the supply/demand issue may be regional.

I think some of these jobs may pay well, but aren't necessarily in demand. We have a friend who is a construction superintendent, and he hasn't been able to find steady work in several years. He makes good money when he works, but he is hired for one project at a time, and his last 3 jobs have all been out of state. Currently, he gets home about 2 wkds/months, and it's been very hard on his family.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I haven't worked as an RN for 16 years and hospitals are STILL trying to actively recruit me. It used to be just in the mail but lately some have called:001_huh:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I just heard this last week in Southern California, also.

That's strange because I'm in SoCal and even though I have worked in over 16 years hospitals are still trying to recruit me, and have gotten more active about doing so in the last couple of years (I've even received some phone calls).

That's strange because I'm in SoCal and even though I have worked in over 16 years hospitals are still trying to recruit me, and have gotten more active about doing so in the last couple of years (I've even received some phone calls).

Hmm. I was talking to a friend of mine who's a hs mom but still keeps her nursing license. She mentioned that it wouldn't so her a lot of good nowadays since she has heard about so many hospital layoffs in the area??

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Hmm. I was talking to a friend of mine who's a hs mom but still keeps her nursing license. She mentioned that it wouldn't so her a lot of good nowadays since she has heard about so many hospital layoffs in the area??

It may to a totally local thing. I'm in the Inland Empire.

Well, becoming a nurse is an up in the air thing right now, so I am not too worried yet. But by next year I need to pick something so I can start applying to colleges.

Nowadays, with the way the economy is, there is just no way of telling what is going to happen. I think I am going to pick a career I enjoy, and also one that helps me pay the bills.:)

Thank you everyone!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Nowadays, with the way the economy is, there is just no way of telling what is going to happen. I think I am going to pick a career I enjoy, and also one that helps me pay the bills.:)

I think that is very wise!

Careers in community bedrocks like schools, hospitals, and law firms are here to stay.

By Yahoo! Education Staff

Everyone's heard about outsourcing and job cuts. That's the bad news.

The good news is that while the economy is changing and employment patterns are evolving, there are some bedrock institutions - and jobs - that aren't going away.

Just take a look around and you'll see examples of jobs that are here to stay, at least in some capacity. Almost every community, big or small, has a medical office, a law firm, a school, a police department, a drugstore and other "bedrocks" that provide employment.

Check out these seven jobs that will stick around the neighborhood - and how you can qualify...

Career #1 - Police Officer

From patrolling the streets to running security for parades to apprehending criminals, police officers provide a valuable service that no community - big or small - can do without.

Job Forecast: The U.S. Department of Labor anticipates employment of police officers to grow 10 percent from 2008 to 2018 (about as fast as the average for all occupations). And, as the Department of Labor notes, police officers who lose their jobs due to budget cuts usually have very little trouble finding jobs with other agencies.

Training: If you're thinking about becoming a police officer, look into earning a criminal justice degree to help you on your way.

Pay: Police officers have an average annual salary of $51,410. Differences in salary largely depend on location. The highest ten percent average at more than $79,680.

Career #2 - Paralegal

In this world of contracts and litigation, lawyers are essential to local businesses and individuals - and paralegals, who help lawyers prepare for trials and prepare legal arguments, are essential to lawyers.

Job Forecast: The Department of Labor expects a 28 percent growth rate for these jobs between 2008 and 2018. They also anticipate the need for more paralegals as intellectual property, health care, elder issues, and environmental law become increasingly important to our communities.

Training: If you're interested in pursuing a paralegal career, check out associate's degree programs in paralegal studies. If you already have a bachelor's degree, consider earning a paralegal certificate.

Pay: Paralegal salaries can vary. Working for a large law firm or in a big city, for example, will typically pay more. The average annual salary for paralegals is around $46,120, though the top ten percent can earn more than $73,450. In addition to a salary, many paralegals receive bonuses.

Career #3 - Accountant

Whether you live in a big city or small town, there's probably an accounting firm that many neighborhood businesses use. And it's no surprise - accountants do a lot more than just prepare taxes. Local businesses rely on them for everything from bookkeeping to helping plan growth strategies.

Job Forecast: Accountants are important advisors and team members for our local business communities, and as the number of businesses increase, so will the number of jobs for accountants. The Department of Labor estimates employment of accountants will grow by 22 percent between 2008 and 2018.

Training: If you want to become an accountant, consider earning your bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field. You can advance your career by earning your Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification.

Pay: Accountants have an average annual salary of $59,430, with top earners averaging at more than $102,380 per year. Accountants who provide services for private businesses typically earn more than accountants who work for state or local governments.

Career #4 - Health Care Administrator

Health care administrators help improve the quality of health care; control costs; interface with insurance companies; and oversee patient record security. At first glance it might not be clear why these jobs are essential to every community, but as the health care industry expands we will need administrators to help keep hospitals and physician's offices running smoothly.

Job Forecast: The Department of Labor predicts that employment of medical and health services managers will grow 16 percent from 2008 to 2018.

Training: A bachelor's degree in health care administration should prepare you for an entry-level position in a smaller facility or department. For larger facilities, consider a master's degree in health services administration.

Pay: Health care administrators have an average annual salary of $80,240. Higher salaries tend to be found in hospital settings.

Career #5 - Pharmacy Technician

People rely on their local pharmacy for their prescription needs. Pharmacy technicians help ensure that those pharmacies run smoothly and efficiently. With health care changes, more people will have prescription drug coverage, which will put a greater demand on local pharmacies - and as a result, increase the need for pharmacy technicians.

Job Forecast: This is another career with much higher than average employment growth anticipated. The Department of Labor expects employment of pharmacy technicians to grow 25 percent from 2008 to 2018 according to the Department of Labor. That's 96,300 new jobs!

Training: Pharmacy associate's degrees or certificate programs are a good way to go if you're interested in a career as a pharmacy technician.

Pay: Pharmacy technicians earn $13.32 per hour on average, though the highest 10 percent can earn more than $18.98. Keep in mind that certified technicians may earn more than non-certified technicians.

Career #6 - Registered Nurse (RN)

People need to physically visit their health care providers - or have their health care providers come to them - in order to get the care they need, which makes nurses essential to local communities.

Job Forecast: Many employers are currently reporting difficulty in hiring enough RNs to handle their current workload, and more jobs will become available as the numbers of our elderly continue to grow. According to the Department of Labor, employment of registered nurses is expected to grow by 22 percent from 2008 to 2018.

Training: To become a registered nurse, you'll need a bachelor's of science degree in nursing (BSN), an associate degree in nursing (ADN), or a diploma from an approved nursing program. You'll also need to complete a national licensing examination in order to obtain a nursing license.

Pay: Registered nurses have an average annual salary of $62,450. Nurses working in hospitals generally have higher salaries than those employed in nursing care facilities. The top ten percent of registered nurses average at about $92,240 per year.

Career #7 - Teacher

Whether your town's population is 500 or 5,000, every community needs schools and teachers. Teachers provide an essential service that cannot be outsourced. And while times may be tough in education right now, the kids aren't going anywhere.

Job Forecast: The Department of Labor expects employment of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers to grow by 13 percent between 2008 and 2018. There is an even higher demand for teachers who specialize in mathematics, science, and bilingual education.

Training: If you're ready to start your career as a teacher, you'll need a bachelor's degree from a teacher education program. If you want to be a secondary school teacher, major in the subject you plan to teach and take a program of study in teacher preparation.

Pay: The average annual salary of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranges from $47,100 to $51,180. According to the American Federation of Teachers, beginning teachers with a bachelor's degree earn an average of $33,227. Getting a master's degree or national certification can also get you a raise in pay.

Unless otherwise noted, all salary information is from the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2008.

Careers in community bedrocks like schools, hospitals, and law firms are here to stay.

By Yahoo! Education Staff

Everyone's heard about outsourcing and job cuts. That's the bad news.

The good news is that while the economy is changing and employment patterns are evolving, there are some bedrock institutions - and jobs - that aren't going away.

Just take a look around and you'll see examples of jobs that are here to stay, at least in some capacity. Almost every community, big or small, has a medical office, a law firm, a school, a police department, a drugstore and other "bedrocks" that provide employment.

Check out these seven jobs that will stick around the neighborhood - and how you can qualify...

From patrolling the streets to running security for parades to apprehending criminals, police officers provide a valuable service that no community - big or small - can do without.

Job Forecast: The U.S. Department of Labor anticipates employment of police officers to grow 10 percent from 2008 to 2018 (about as fast as the average for all occupations). And, as the Department of Labor notes, police officers who lose their jobs due to budget cuts usually have very little trouble finding jobs with other agencies.

Training: If you're thinking about becoming a police officer, look into earning a criminal justice degree to help you on your way.

Pay: Police officers have an average annual salary of $51,410. Differences in salary largely depend on location. The highest ten percent average at more than $79,680.

Career #2 - Paralegal

In this world of contracts and litigation, lawyers are essential to local businesses and individuals - and paralegals, who help lawyers prepare for trials and prepare legal arguments, are essential to lawyers.

Job Forecast: The Department of Labor expects a 28 percent growth rate for these jobs between 2008 and 2018. They also anticipate the need for more paralegals as intellectual property, health care, elder issues, and environmental law become increasingly important to our communities.

Training: If you're interested in pursuing a paralegal career, check out associate's degree programs in paralegal studies. If you already have a bachelor's degree, consider earning a paralegal certificate.

Pay: Paralegal salaries can vary. Working for a large law firm or in a big city, for example, will typically pay more. The average annual salary for paralegals is around $46,120, though the top ten percent can earn more than $73,450. In addition to a salary, many paralegals receive bonuses.

Career #3 - Accountant

Whether you live in a big city or small town, there's probably an accounting firm that many neighborhood businesses use. And it's no surprise - accountants do a lot more than just prepare taxes. Local businesses rely on them for everything from bookkeeping to helping plan growth strategies.

Job Forecast: Accountants are important advisors and team members for our local business communities, and as the number of businesses increase, so will the number of jobs for accountants. The Department of Labor estimates employment of accountants will grow by 22 percent between 2008 and 2018.

Training: If you want to become an accountant, consider earning your bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field. You can advance your career by earning your Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification.

Pay: Accountants have an average annual salary of $59,430, with top earners averaging at more than $102,380 per year. Accountants who provide services for private businesses typically earn more than accountants who work for state or local governments.

Career #4 - Health Care Administrator

Health care administrators help improve the quality of health care; control costs; interface with insurance companies; and oversee patient record security. At first glance it might not be clear why these jobs are essential to every community, but as the health care industry expands we will need administrators to help keep hospitals and physician's offices running smoothly.

Job Forecast: The Department of Labor predicts that employment of medical and health services managers will grow 16 percent from 2008 to 2018.

Training: A bachelor's degree in health care administration should prepare you for an entry-level position in a smaller facility or department. For larger facilities, consider a master's degree in health services administration.

Pay: Health care administrators have an average annual salary of $80,240. Higher salaries tend to be found in hospital settings.

Career #5 - Pharmacy Technician

People rely on their local pharmacy for their prescription needs. Pharmacy technicians help ensure that those pharmacies run smoothly and efficiently. With health care changes, more people will have prescription drug coverage, which will put a greater demand on local pharmacies - and as a result, increase the need for pharmacy technicians.

Job Forecast: This is another career with much higher than average employment growth anticipated. The Department of Labor expects employment of pharmacy technicians to grow 25 percent from 2008 to 2018 according to the Department of Labor. That's 96,300 new jobs!

Training: Pharmacy associate's degrees or certificate programs are a good way to go if you're interested in a career as a pharmacy technician.

Pay: Pharmacy technicians earn $13.32 per hour on average, though the highest 10 percent can earn more than $18.98. Keep in mind that certified technicians may earn more than non-certified technicians.

Career #6 - Registered Nurse (RN)

People need to physically visit their health care providers - or have their health care providers come to them - in order to get the care they need, which makes nurses essential to local communities.

Job Forecast: Many employers are currently reporting difficulty in hiring enough RNs to handle their current workload, and more jobs will become available as the numbers of our elderly continue to grow. According to the Department of Labor, employment of registered nurses is expected to grow by 22 percent from 2008 to 2018.

Training: To become a registered nurse, you'll need a bachelor's of science degree in nursing (BSN), an associate degree in nursing (ADN), or a diploma from an approved nursing program. You'll also need to complete a national licensing examination in order to obtain a nursing license.

Pay: Registered nurses have an average annual salary of $62,450. Nurses working in hospitals generally have higher salaries than those employed in nursing care facilities. The top ten percent of registered nurses average at about $92,240 per year.

Career #7 - Teacher

Whether your town's population is 500 or 5,000, every community needs schools and teachers. Teachers provide an essential service that cannot be outsourced. And while times may be tough in education right now, the kids aren't going anywhere.

Job Forecast: The Department of Labor expects employment of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers to grow by 13 percent between 2008 and 2018. There is an even higher demand for teachers who specialize in mathematics, science, and bilingual education.

Training: If you're ready to start your career as a teacher, you'll need a bachelor's degree from a teacher education program. If you want to be a secondary school teacher, major in the subject you plan to teach and take a program of study in teacher preparation.

Pay: The average annual salary of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranges from $47,100 to $51,180. According to the American Federation of Teachers, beginning teachers with a bachelor's degree earn an average of $33,227. Getting a master's degree or national certification can also get you a raise in pay.

Unless otherwise noted, all salary information is from the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2008.

Wow, thank you so much for the info. Sorry if it took me so long to get back to you, I have been really busy right now and it has been hard to do things. Thanks for the information, it is a great help!

Career #7 - Teacher

I think these are also related to where you live ...

Teacher - A relative in Wisconsin who is a teacher was laid off this summer due to budget cuts. I think she's been teaching about 10 years already. They were increasing the class size to 40! Her mom told her she might as well start homeschooling her own children...

Police officer - another relative has been one most of his life, but due to budget cuts they are combining forces and cutting salaries...He desperately wants to leave this work due to the mandatory night shifts where he has to deal with all the 'darker' crime every two weeks, besides throwing his family's schedule completely off with the shift work...

Two of these 7 careers have night shift work which while essential for society is no ideal job...and nurses are notoriously overworked and given much more responsibility (in that they can be sued for malpractice) than their salaries would show...

At least if you become a teacher over here, you might has less problems homeschooling!

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

I think these are also related to area...

Teacher - A relative in Wisconsin who is a teacher was laid off this summer due to budget cuts. I think she's been teaching about 10 years already. They were increasing the class size to 40! Her mom told her she might as well start homeschooling her own children...

Police officer - another relative has been one most of his life, but due to budget cuts they are combining forces and cutting salaries...He desperately wants to leave this work due to the mandatory night shifts where he has to deal with all the 'darker' crime every two weeks, besides throwing his families schedule completely off with the shift work...

Two of these 7 careers have night shift work which while essential for society is no ideal job...and nurses are notoriously overworked and given much more responsibility (in that they can be sued for malpractice) than their salaries would show...

At least if you become a teacher over here, you might has less problems homeschooling!

Joan

You do have a point Joan, I see what you are saying. It's still in debate, but I might stick with something in the medical field, what I don't know yet, but I am starting to get ideas. Thanks!

It's a great field and I love doing it but my husband and others have told me some stories that you all considering nursing need to know. There have been a lot of recent grads from 2 schools around us and they are having a hard time finding a job. It used to be easy to get a first time job. Typically you start at a hospital, get experience and then move on to something else, usually somewhere outside of the hospital. My husband has seen several of these new nurses coming in and I know a few myself. They are having a hard time getting a job. The places they are applying to want experience, even the hospitals. Now this might just be a local trend but somehow I doubt it as our population is expected to grow 2 times normal because of an influx of military moving in due to changes the government made several years ago. Before you say the military and their dependents can get services at the military hospital is not true at our base. They just don't have enough Dr so they frequently refer out to the community even the soldiers themselves. So you'd think there would actually be more nursing positions available. I guess now that hospital can't make as much money as they once did (they're being affected my economy as well) they can't afford the expense of training new nurses. Yes, even though they've gone to nursing school they have to be trained in how the hospital works and what their job entails. These training session can last anywhere from one to four weeks depending on the hospital. I do have one relative who found herself in this position and she lives out of state. So although nursing is a good field it can be hard to get a job. You can no longer just walk up to your local hospital and automatically be hired. By the way, my husband (who works for the unemployment dept) said he just had a nurse come in and now instead of nursing she's had to take a job paying $10/hr. So nurses aren't always going to be assured of a secure job.

Like the others, I vote for the nursing. It is in demand right now, and probably will remain so for a long time.

Vet tech is also a good career choice.

I do not recommend the idea of keeping options open- you will probably have different careers in the future. This is factually accurate, yet poor advice in my opinion. If you decide upon something and go for it, you will know why you are in school and thus you will be more motivated.

The colleges are full of people who are unsure, keeping options open, etc. They party their way through school and then get out and don't know what to do. They go live with mom and dad, get a job delivering pizza, and sit around thinking about whether they should throw good money after bad by going to grad school in their obscure field to get so-so grades at a so-so school and then have even more student loan debt. And they still don't know what to do with their lives.

Instead, find something you want to do and pursue it. That said, I do not recommend being illogical in your choices. You are asking about what are good fields to go into, so you sound like you are looking for a practical field.

Music is full of talented hard-working people who are scraping by, trying to make a living by putting together a couple of jobs. The top orchestras pretty much only hire from 2 schools- Curtis and Julliard. If you go to a regular college and major in music, you will not get any sort of job. Yes, you can probably teach children if you want to. But, otherwise, music performance is a lot of work competing against top talent for very few positions that don't even pay very well.

Anyway, you are on the right track by asking advice. Find something reasonable that you can make a living at and go for it.

Another piece of advice. I suggest getting the highest credential you can instead of aiming low. For example, rather than being a nurse, get an MD. Rather than getting a degree in Vet Tech, get a degree in veterinary medicine. Rather than getting an undergraduate business degree, get the MBA (at a good school). The difference in salaries is huge and the difference in the number of years of education is not that great. Professional school is a good investment.

And experience in your field in addition to the coursework is very important. While in nursing school, get some experience in a hospital. Employers will look for both the credential and the experience. One without the other won't get you a job.

Best wishes to you.

Like the others, I vote for the nursing. It is in demand right now, and probably will remain so for a long time.

Vet tech is also a good career choice.

I do not recommend the idea of keeping options open- you will probably have different careers in the future. This is factually accurate, yet poor advice in my opinion. If you decide upon something and go for it, you will know why you are in school and thus you will be more motivated.

The colleges are full of people who are unsure, keeping options open, etc. They party their way through school and then get out and don't know what to do. They go live with mom and dad, get a job delivering pizza, and sit around thinking about whether they should throw good money after bad by going to grad school in their obscure field to get so-so grades at a so-so school and then have even more student loan debt. And they still don't know what to do with their lives.

Instead, find something you want to do and pursue it. That said, I do not recommend being illogical in your choices. You are asking about what are good fields to go into, so you sound like you are looking for a practical field.

Music is full of talented hard-working people who are scraping by, trying to make a living by putting together a couple of jobs. The top orchestras pretty much only hire from 2 schools- Curtis and Julliard. If you go to a regular college and major in music, you will not get any sort of job. Yes, you can probably teach children if you want to. But, otherwise, music performance is a lot of work competing against top talent for very few positions that don't even pay very well.

Anyway, you are on the right track by asking advice. Find something reasonable that you can make a living at and go for it.

Another piece of advice. I suggest getting the highest credential you can instead of aiming low. For example, rather than being a nurse, get an MD. Rather than getting a degree in Vet Tech, get a degree in veterinary medicine. Rather than getting an undergraduate business degree, get the MBA (at a good school). The difference in salaries is huge and the difference in the number of years of education is not that great. Professional school is a good investment.

And experience in your field in addition to the coursework is very important. While in nursing school, get some experience in a hospital. Employers will look for both the credential and the experience. One without the other won't get you a job.

Best wishes to you.

Thank you very much! I have been getting some good advice and this is what I have been looking for. I am trying to narrow my options down right now, and so far the medical field might be for me. I will stil do what I love on the side though, I just can't give it up.

Thanks!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Are you handy? Can you fix things?

I ask because any sort of *maintenance* position is in VERY high demand right now. (Not janitorial, but repair)

The vast majority of maintenance personnel are retirement age, and it's becoming VERY hard to find younger people who can fix things.

Our local hospital just hired a maintenance worker at $22/hr for an entry-level position.

It's not glamorous, but if you have an aptitude in this area I'd strongly suggest investigating it.