Menu

How to keep your bread from sticking to the pan (and you don't use non-stick spray)?

My bread machine recently died and now I am making our family's bread by hand. But the bread sticks to the pan and I don't use non-stick spray. Currently I am wiping the inside of the pan with olive oil before placing the dough inside to rise. The bread doesn't stick horribly but I do have go around all the outside edges with a knife before flipping it out of the pan and give it a few good shakes.

Thanks in advance!

. Currently I am wiping the inside of the pan with olive oil before placing the dough inside to rise. The bread doesn't stick horribly but I do have go around all the outside edges with a knife before flipping it out of the pan and give it a few good shakes.

Thanks in advance!

I would think it perfectly normal to need to go around the edges of the pan with a knife.

I oil my pans. be careful to never wash the pan, you want a good buildup of oil to accumulate over the years. Just scrape out any remaining breadcrumbs out of tin.

I would think it perfectly normal to need to go around the edges of the pan with a knife.

I oil my pans. be careful to never wash the pan, you want a good buildup of oil to accumulate over the years. Just scrape out any remaining breadcrumbs out of tin.

That's probably true. For some reason the bread never stuck in the bread machine pan and I am using the exact same recipe. Hmmm.... Also I wash my pan every single time. It is just a regular metal pan, does the no wash rule apply there too? I never wash my cast iron skillets or stoneware but never thought about that being the case with metal too. Thanks!

That's probably true. For some reason the bread never stuck in the bread machine pan and I am using the exact same recipe. Hmmm.... Also I wash my pan every single time. It is just a regular metal pan, does the no wash rule apply there too? I never wash my cast iron skillets or stoneware but never thought about that being the case with metal too. Thanks!

Just keep the pan for bread, and don't wash it. I wash cake tins, but not bread tins. The heavier the tin used to make the pan the better, and the less it sticks.

The only cookware I wash with detergent are my stainless pots and pan. My cast iron, bakeware and stoneware get at most wiped down with a wet dish cloth. I will wash the outside/bottom of any greasy items. I've got a good dark brown to black cooking/baking area. I very rarely have a sticking problem

Until you get there use butter to grease your pans. Olive oil works well for bread to. Also are you putting a fat/oil in your dough? This helps with not sticking.

If butter doesn't work, this will be my next plan. I am so cheap though and it seems this route would get expensive. ;) Hi, my name is Jennefer and I am a tightwad. Ha! :D

I reuse each piece of parchment paper at least ten times, till it starts to fall apart. Since one sheet of parchment paper is enough for four loaves, I can make at least forty loaves per sheet.

I reuse each piece of parchment paper at least ten times, till it starts to fall apart. Since one sheet of parchment paper is enough for four loaves, I can make at least forty loaves per sheet.

I have never thought of reusing parchment. I reuse tons of other things though. Another duh! I guess I just always thought it would burn. Thanks for sharing!

The only cookware I wash with detergent are my stainless pots and pan. My cast iron, bakeware and stoneware get at most wiped down with a wet dish cloth. I will wash the outside/bottom of any greasy items. I've got a good dark brown to black cooking/baking area. I very rarely have a sticking problem

Until you get there use butter to grease your pans. Olive oil works well for bread to. Also are you putting a fat/oil in your dough? This helps with not sticking.

I do use 2T in my bread but that's it. I am going to have to get over wanting all my bakeware to be pretty. All that black coating I scrub off to make it all look shiny and new! Oops!!!

I was making a new loaf of bread as I typed this original post. I used olive oil again like I had been doing but used quite a bit more and the bread popped out beautifully! I prefer olive oil other other fats so I am thrilled to death! Still may try the parchment as I like the idea of no extra oil though!

Rubbing the pan with Crisco works better for bread, imo.

This is what I do, too. My bread pans came with instructions not to wash them, just wipe them down well. The dough I make it moist and sticky, though, so at times I rinse and brush them because it's hard to get the last bits from the corners.

The bread doesn't stick horribly but I do have go around all the outside edges with a knife before flipping it out of the pan and give it a few good shakes.

Thanks in advance!

Is this not normal? Mine does this, too. I grease the pan (usually I bake in glass) with butter. Sometimes I'll flour it, too, but usually I forget. I let it cool for a few minutes, then run a knife around, and it pops right out.