Menu

Thoughts on Universal Public Education?

I know a lot of homeschoolers are agnostic* on the subject of public schooling. I also know that many homeschoolers don't believe in institutional schooling at all.

I know a lot of who are highly invested in P.S. are somewhat threatened by the notion that, as homeschooling continues to grow, P.S. will be vastly undermined.

Right now (and this may change in, oh, ten or fifteen minutes), I think that universal public education is a neccesary thing, but I want to homeschool my kids simply because I think it's better.

Does anyone else have any thoughts/feelings on this subject?

[*by which I mean, uninvested, neither for or against]

I think a culture can be measured in part by the quality of their education system. I believe that if you want strong communities building strong schools is vital to growth and progress.

I believe that at least in my part of the country the powers that be have shown us that a strong education system is not their primary concern.

I homeschool because I love it. I would probably homeschool at least the early years even if I had a great educational system at my disposal. But whether I ever wished to use it or not, I want the system to be strong for the good our country.

I don't see homeschooling as undermining public education at all. In my mind, universal education provides the minimum amount of education for its members to function as our society desires. I just wish that our universal education system was much better than it is.

I know a lot of homeschoolers are agnostic on the subject public schooling. I also know that many homeschoolers don't believe in institutional schooling at all.

I know a lot of who are highly invested in P.S. are somewhat threatened by the notion that, as homeschooling continues to grow, P.S. will be vastly undermined.

Right now (and this may change in, oh, ten or fifteen minutes), I think that universal public education is a neccesary thing, but I want to homeschool my kids simply because I think it's better.

"Agnostic" means "without knowledge" in Greek and in Latin it means "ignoramus". I think homeschoolers are very knowledgeable about the public school system and have decided based on this knowledge it is not the best for one or more of their children ;)

I think a culture can be measured in part by the quality of their education system. I believe that if you want strong communities building strong schools is vital to growth and progress.

I homeschool because I love it. I would probably homeschool at least the early years even if I had a great educational system at my disposal. But whether I ever wished to use it or not, I want the system to be strong for the good our country.

:iagree: I could not have said this better myself! not even close.

I also don't see how we are undermining the ps system anymore than those who send their children to private schools. I really don't think one has to do with the other. in fact, without my children there, the teacher can focus on less children right?;)

And you know what? I heard the same argument when I taught in a private school.

I just don't think there are that many of us who choose alternatives to the ps to be much of a threat to the public schools.

And you know what? I heard the same argument when I taught in a private school.

I just don't think there are that many of us who choose alternatives to the ps to be much of a threat to the public schools.

And having been a p.s. teacher for 12 years, I agree. My classes were ALWAYS overcrowded. I don't think that the small percentage of people who homeschool are going to topple the public school system.

I believe that at least in my part of the country the powers that be have shown us that a strong education system is not their primary concern.

Well said.

Until five years ago, I had a neutral position on both home education, and public education. My previous public school experience - both my own and my children's - had been wonderful. Then we moved, and I got to experience the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

I now have a new appreciation for home schooling, and a very jaded outlook on just how poor the public school system can be. What saddens me most, is that there are so many parents without the knowledge needed to be aware that their public school system may not be all it should be. If parents don't demand improvement and change, what incentive is the school going have to take that initiative?

I can't really improve on this. Pretty much what she said....:D

Guest Lorna

This thread reminded me of an answer on 'Colfax Corner' a regular column written by David and Micki Colfax of 'Home schooling for Excellence':

Dear David & Micki:

I consider myself to be one of those rare birds, something of a liberal, and many of my friends are liberals. So what do I tell them when they say that I am being an elitist by teaching my kids at home? They argue that we’re depriving the public schools of the presence of our bright, highly motivated daughters, and that we should be trying to change the schools, not abandoning them. Should I become a conservative? – R.D., Berkeley, CA

Dear R.D:

Ah, liberals. You are obviously hanging out with the kind of people who have made P.J. O’Rourke and George Wills, who write bad things about them, very, very rich men. If your friends are of a historical bent, you might suggest that they familiarize themselves with the history of the public schools, and examine whose interests they serve, and when and how. If they are of a philosophical turn of mind, point them in the direction of our friend, John Taylor Gatto. But perhaps the easiest way to counter their misplaced populism is to suggest that the next time their children need to see a doctor that they be sure to go to the worst one in town. After all, he probably could use the business and think of how much better he might become if given an opportunity to practice on their children. Or when they have a legal problem, that they make sure that they consult with the most inept law firm around, in order to help it become better at what it now does so badly. If your friends point out that their children would almost certainly get worse care or that they’d probably lose their case were they to follow your suggestion, urge them to consider the larger good they’d be serving, how they would be enhancing the noble institutions of law and medicine. Surely, they would not want to be accused of putting the needs of their children and themselves above the well-being of their new doctor and lawyer friends? With a little luck, your friends might get the point. But maybe not. Perhaps you will, after all, have to make new friends.

I believe until there is choice, where the money follows the child, there is no hope for good universal education. It's too much to ask one school to cater to the needs of all the children it serves, from the gifted to those with special needs. If there was choice, competition in the types of schools, then I would be more willing to support the "system". I agree with many of the other posts, that HS'ers are in no way hurting the current system.

"I think a culture can be measured in part by the quality of their education system. I believe that if you want strong communities building strong schools is vital to growth and progress. "

I so agree, Kelli! I love homeschooling, and can't imagine that anything else would work for my particular kiddos, but I also consider myself a supporter of public schooling. Doesn't mean I always like them, but I would hope for them to acheive excellence. All kids, even those with less dedicated or able or interested parents, deserve a chance to succeed.

I'd rep you, Kelli, but apparently I've repped you too recently!

Guest Virginia Dawn
Public education may or may not be necessary. *Compulsory* education is not. And I don't think there should be a federal Dept. of Education, either; it should be up to the individual states.

Good points.

Public education is only as good as the system allows it to be, and our present system tends to allow the quality of education to sink to the least common denominator in each community.

Universal compulsory public education squashes individuality and stresses conformity, but that is its purpose.

Wow... I'm glad I asked. I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out (as you can probably tell from the first post) and this has been a very enlightening thread.

Oh, and that "Dave & Micki" column? Priceless.

I view public education as a social program -- an alternative to private schooling and private tutoring (homeschooling). It's there for people who need it. It benefits the society because many of the children there would not receive an education if it did not exist.

I do not agree with the way IT has become the standard. I do not appreciate the way people have begun to question an education that does not mimic ITS pattern.

I completely agree community is made stronger by the education of the children residing there. I have no objections to "schools" and do not see homeschooling as the only choice. If I could afford quality co-op classes or classes at a decent private school, I would utilize it where I felt it was beneficial.

However, I do object to the system in place today. I do not feel a community can honestly serve its members when every breath is controlled by the federal government. Some try and a few schools even do well still, but on average most feel so much pressure by the standards and controls they cannot truly go off the standard model. The more trouble a school is in, the more they are under a strangle hold. Even on the state level, I object to compulsory schooling based on arbitrary standards of people very far removed from my community and my children.

A one size fits all educational standard hurts children in the long run. The current system was designed around a Prussian model to make good factory workers and it has become the factory itself.

Sorry for the :rant:. I think I'll go :chillpill: with some coffee now. :leaving:

I

However, I do object to the system in place today. I do not feel a community can honestly serve its members when every breath is controlled by the federal government. Some try and a few schools even do well still, but on average most feel so much pressure by the standards and controls they cannot truly go off the standard model. The more trouble a school is in, the more they are under a strangle hold. Even on the state level, I object to compulsory schooling based on arbitrary standards of people very far removed from my community and my children.

:

I absolutely agree with you. 100%. I don't even like the consolidation of city and county schools.

I do not see hs harming ps, in fact if anything it might motivate ps to make changes that actually work.

In my current community(3 towns) 25% of the school age dc are hs. Several ps faculty hs their dc. This has an impact on the ps. This impact has made them reevaluate their programs (a small step in the right direction), even knowing full well that these dc will never attend their school. It boils down to $ in the small communities, as I do not think the quality of ed is affected by $, my hope is that this "competition" will improve the ed at the local ps. But, that isn't my reason for hs.

I know a lot of homeschoolers are agnostic* on the subject of public schooling. I also know that many homeschoolers don't believe in institutional schooling at all.

[*by which I mean, uninvested, neither for or against]

Short answer: I think that public schools are necessary, but need to be removed from separate taxation (i.e. stop taking it from property taxes). I believe they should be supported on a federal level only so as to remove the disparities in funding and quality that vary so from state to state. I also believe there must always be accessible alternatives (e.g. homeschooling, private schools, etc.)

I view public education as a social program -- an alternative to private schooling and private tutoring (homeschooling). It's there for people who need it. It benefits the society because many of the children there would not receive an education if it did not exist.

I do not agree with the way IT has become the standard. I do not appreciate the way people have begun to question an education that does not mimic ITS pattern.

The system says I cannot give you any more rep right now. So for your post quoted above:

:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I do object to the system in place today. I do not feel a community can honestly serve its members when every breath is controlled by the federal government. Some try and a few schools even do well still, but on average most feel so much pressure by the standards and controls they cannot truly go off the standard model. The more trouble a school is in, the more they are under a strangle hold. Even on the state level, I object to compulsory schooling based on arbitrary standards of people very far removed from my community and my children.

:iagree: