Menu

Poetry?

justamouse

I do not know anything about MCT but I wanted to let you know what we use. We are working our way through "Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization." You can see it here. EXCELLENT! I'd highly recommend the cd- listening each day aids in memorizing quickly.

In addition, we get poetry from a variety of sources- books from the library (let your child pick a favorite) & First Language Lessons.

HTH!

Heather

Do you mean for reading poetry, or writing it?

There's a book called "Teaching Poetry, Yes You Can!" by Jacqueline Sweeney that I found really helpful for putting together like a 10 week poetry workshop that I did with like 6 girls, aged 8-11 once.

writing it-sorry! But, now that you've asked---both? I'll look this one up.

It is not a curriculum, but we are doing a child's introduction to poetry. It has a CD, nice illustrations. We are really enjoying it.

Oh, and we haven't started yet, but we have Evan-Moor Poetry Patterns and themes. It is a workbook that teaches writing different types of poems.

We're using MCT 1st level poetry book, Music of the Hemispheres. We are using the whole program, but I think you could easily use it as a stand-alone. We are really enjoying it. He does have some writing assignments in it. Here's one from the lesson on onomatopoeia:

"Think of something that makes sounds. Anything. Baby chickens. The wind in the palm trees. The pot boiling on the stove.... Then write about it, but fiddle with the words until you get words that sound like the subject. If it is baby chickens, you need peep peep sounds, so you might use words like keep, sleep, steep, or jeep. If it's your dog, you might use growly words like grump, grouch, rough, and gotcha!"

I do not know anything about MCT but I wanted to let you know what we use. We are working our way through "Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization." You can see it here. EXCELLENT! I'd highly recommend the cd- listening each day aids in memorizing quickly.

In addition, we get poetry from a variety of sources- books from the library (let your child pick a favorite) & First Language Lessons.

HTH!

Heather

My 4th grader is also doing the Development through Poetry Memorization. My K does the poetry out of FLL. Both are working GREAT. Level one in the Poetry kit does really fun poems to spark the interest.

Beth

Ok, I think I've figured out what I'm going to do.

Way in the back of a McGuffy's Grammar, I found a very comprehensive chapter on poetry. It's matter of fact (as is all McGuffy's) and far beyond my littles, but I'm going to start with 'younger' poems that they know and love and teach them the poetic definitions that way. With my older I'm going to tackle it bit by bit and search out poems that are more along the level of her maturity. I have many poetry books so that shouldn't be a problem.

We love poetry and I've always taught it and used it as copywork, but now I just feel the need to go deeper.

I would love to buy MCTs, but I'm really trying to make due with what I have this year, it's my own personal challenge (really, you should see my shelves) make due or do without:001_smile:. I'm going to tackle one type at a time, google for poems in the like and build something that way for them. If things work out well I'll post lessons up on my blog (which I have sorely neglected, sorry) so people can take them for free.

My 4th grader is also doing the Development through Poetry Memorization. My K does the poetry out of FLL. Both are working GREAT. Level one in the Poetry kit does really fun poems to spark the interest.

Beth

I have been thinking of using somepoetry element in my homeschool. I need to look up these great ideas.

J

Ok, I think I've figured out what I'm going to do.

Way in the back of a McGuffy's Grammar, I found a very comprehensive chapter on poetry. It's matter of fact (as is all McGuffy's) and far beyond my littles, but I'm going to start with 'younger' poems that they know and love and teach them the poetic definitions that way. With my older I'm going to tackle it bit by bit and search out poems that are more along the level of her maturity. I have many poetry books so that shouldn't be a problem.

We love poetry and I've always taught it and used it as copywork, but now I just feel the need to go deeper.

I would love to buy MCTs, but I'm really trying to make due with what I have this year, it's my own personal challenge (really, you should see my shelves) make due or do without:001_smile:. I'm going to tackle one type at a time, google for poems in the like and build something that way for them. If things work out well I'll post lessons up on my blog (which I have sorely neglected, sorry) so people can take them for free.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/Year1poems.shtml Here's a link to some free poetry that might help.