Menu

thoughts on evan moor

fitna

DD loves their Beginning Geography book, which means I love it, of course. I guess from what I can tell recently, some people might consider it silly to teach map skills that way, but all I can say is that those worksheets are one of her favorite things to do every week. :D

I use, and like, Grammar and Punctuation 2. It's one of dd's favorite things to do.:confused:

I've been soooo careful to pick things that aren't just more worksheets. We read and do projects and notebook and use manipulatives and talk and talk and talk...... This replaced FLL for us and gives us a nice quick and dirty grammar/punctuation lesson each day. We still talk about sentences and do narrations/dictations through WWE..... BUT, this is a nice change.

DS loved beginning Geography, so we now do daily geography for 3rd grade. We also do daily math as he will need to take standardized tests this year in Oregon. He likes it and it doesn't take much time. We also have some history pockets.

i've started using daily language review with my 7 year old. and we like it so far. so i was wondering what other evan moor books do you guys like? is anyone using the take it to your seat books? any thoughts on it?

:bigear:

We used Evan Moor Skill Sharpeners Spelling (K) and Skill Sharpeners Math (K) -- but we used those K-levels when she was 4 years old. It made her feel so "grown up" to have a worksheet to do a few times a week, KWIM?

;)

Next year, we might use Beginning Geography. That seems to be a hit with many people. Overall, I like Evan Moor's stuff, but it doesn't seem to be "trendy" on these boards. HTH.

I'm not a fan personally. I've tried to like it, and own at least ten of their books, but in the end it always feels like busy work to me. Of the ones we've tried, the Giant Science Resource Book was the best of the bunch.

I am with ya!!! on the busy work...

and wwwwwwwwwwwwow do you make copies!!

We do use the Ancient Civilizations and the Egypt and Greece... I enjoy it.

I tear the whole thing apart and 3 hole punch and put in binder so copying is easier.

the daily science we tore our heads out, the questions were so vague, that finding the answer was hard for me...perhaps that is saying something about me..ha ha

I've been considering trying Daily Language Review. It goes along with Language Fundamentals, which also looks really good. I got How To Teach Art at a garage sale. We have some of the History Pocket books. They do seem to have a lot of good books.

ETA: I forgot that Beginning Geography is on my wish list.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

My "wiggly Willy" K5 boy really likes the Take it to Your Seat Phonics Center and Take it to Your Seat Math Center activities.

My oldest is working her way through Daily Paragraph Editing Practice because punctuation and capitalization were the weakest areas on the verbal portion of the Iowa last year (she did okay but I'd like to see those areas brought up to the level of her other verbal subtests the next time around).

thanks guys!

i'm going to look into daily geography. it's a subject my daughter really enjoys but i don't know if i want another workbook. so maybe the take it to your seat geography will be slightly more hands on. thanks for all the feedback.

:)

We have a few different History Pockets, Daily Geography, The Giant Science Resource Book and Science Experiments for Young Learners.

My kids like this kind of stuff so we just go with it. They are mainly supplements to other stuff we do - books, activities, experiments, crafts - so they are not doing all workbook type stuff.

I do feel there stuff is good quality, relevant and not overly expensive. I usually buy the ebooks and print out what we need. I like that I can print out as many as I need for my kids and if we want to use some parts our next time through a topic, it's still there and I can just print it out again. Since my kids are so young, most things we will be repeating/expanding upon at some point in the future.

DD loves their Beginning Geography book, which means I love it, of course. I guess from what I can tell recently, some people might consider it silly to teach map skills that way, but all I can say is that those worksheets are one of her favorite things to do every week. :D

I agree, my k, 1st, and 2nd grader are using this. We do 3 sheets every Friday and they LOVE it.

I bought ancient history pockets, but I hate the idea and never used it.

Then I bought Daily Geography Grade 2 and I don't like that I paid money to have the transparencies that are meant for a classroom.

I did it once so far with my soon to be 1st and 3rd graders ORALLY. I don't want it to be busy work, so I just want the skills to be taught without having them fill in all the blanks. We did 3 weeks' lessons in less than 1/2 hour. We will do it this way again until it is done and then sell it in order to buy the next level.

I don't hate it, but don't like it much either, just to fill a need.

J

thanks guys!

i'm going to look into daily geography. it's a subject my daughter really enjoys but i don't know if i want another workbook. so maybe the take it to your seat geography will be slightly more hands on. thanks for all the feedback.

:)

Do you realize that you can view many of their books page by page on their website? Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. :D

Heather

We do Daily Handwriting Practice for cursive--DD7 loves it! It's a good model for her. I'll probably get the manuscript one soon for DD5.

I've also used Evan-Moor books for co-op classes. They're not my style so much for homeschooling, but I've used the Simple Machines book in the ScienceWorks series and loved it. I think I've used more than that but I can't remember off the top of my head. They're my go-to company for co-op classes, though. And the Williamson Kids Can series.