Menu

Puberty & oily hair...

My dd10 is in that pre-pubescent area of being hormonal.

The one thing that has been really awful is her hair! It is so oily!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to control it? It just looks so bad.

We've tried several shampoos - even Dawn dishwashing soap! - just to get it to look normal and last for more than a couple hours. I've told her to forget using conditioner too. Luckily her hair is fairly short (chin-length bob) so getting a brush thru it isn't impossible.

Any ideas? We'd really appreciate it! :bigear:

this is totally dd13 - teen years + she seems to have gotten her father's skin/hair type = oily X a bunch.

honestly - we tried everything. nowadays, she pretty much just makes sure she has a shower every morning - wash, condition, blow dry. it'll look good for the day - repeat the next morning because it's all oily and separated again.

she has a bob-style too..stick straight...

My dd10 is in that pre-pubescent area of being hormonal.

The one thing that has been really awful is her hair! It is so oily!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to control it? It just looks so bad.

We've tried several shampoos - even Dawn dishwashing soap! - just to get it to look normal and last for more than a couple hours. I've told her to forget using conditioner too. Luckily her hair is fairly short (chin-length bob) so getting a brush thru it isn't impossible.

Any ideas? We'd really appreciate it! :bigear:

We've had the same problems! My DS is 13 but a bit of a late bloomer. She started having really oily hair (mostly around bangs) and then over the summer she had so much dandruff. The dandruff seems to have leveled off but the hair still gets oily.

You are living my life. I asked my stylist about it and she said it is hormones and you have to ride it out. She did recommend that dd start washing her hair in the morning rather then at night so she has more hours before the oil shows up. I have had luck with Aussie Cleanse and Mend shampoo. I have dd alternate between that and Pantene Daily Clarifying shampoo. She usually switches as she finishes a bottle.

Wash hair on the morning, not at night.

Baby powder! Sprinkle baby powder in hair at roots and then brush through with a soft, thick bristled brush. The baby power will absorbe the oil. The brush will distribute it through the hair evenly so you don't have white patches.

I use to have to do this if I didn't have time to wash my hair.

We have found a couple of things that really helped our DD

The first is to do a vinegar rinse (Take one large cup and fill 1/2 full of vinegar the other half with warm water... after washing her hair, pour the vinegar on and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then rinse.)

The second thing we have found is a dry shampoo. It is a spray on powder and you can buy it at Sally beauty supply. Just spray on the roots of the hair and then brush through to the ends. It works SO well!

My 14 has this problem too. She hates having to wash her hair every day, so if she's not going anywhere, I'll let her skip a day. She is using ProActiv shampoo and it works as long as she washes every day. When she skips, her hair will get so oily it looks wet; then she uses Neutragena Clarifying shampoo. Blowdrying really helps, but she won't blow dry her own hair, and some days I don't have time.

I am going try the vinegar rinse and dry shampoo for her to see if either of those helps.

It's a little pricey, but we were desparate for a solution, and this was it. A tube lasts a long time.

We've bought it from Aveda salons, but amazon.com is usually the cheapest place to buy it. The clay conditioner paired with a deep-cleansing shampoo (we usually used Herbel Essences De-Gunkify or a shampoo for men) made a huge difference for my dd. She still had to wash her hair every morning, but before she started using the clay conditioner, her hair looked nasty before lunch most days. She doesn't have to use the cond. every day anymore, but from about 12yo to 15 it was an every day necessity.

We were warned that using things like dawn (which we did try) will strip the oils from hair & scalp, but then the body goes into overdrive to produce even more oil - definitely not the direction we were hoping for!

The first is to do a vinegar rinse (Take one large cup and fill 1/2 full of vinegar the other half with warm water... after washing her hair, pour the vinegar on and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then rinse.)

QUOTE]

What kind of vinegar are you using? Regular white vinegar or apple cider?

Wash hair on the morning, not at night.

Baby powder! Sprinkle baby powder in hair at roots and then brush through with a soft, thick bristled brush. The baby power will absorbe the oil. The brush will distribute it through the hair evenly so you don't have white patches.

I use to have to do this if I didn't have time to wash my hair.

:iagree:

thanks for all the tips... we've tried many of those shampoos and we will try the Neutragena next. (that was the one they carried at the food store I just shopped at)

I think the whole oily hair thing bothers me much more than her! I think if I didn't point it out to her - she wouldn't have really noticed or cared so much!:tongue_smilie:

We might have to try powder (would shower to shower work? or cornstarch?) - and we'll have to try blow drying it - I think I've noticed it def comes out nicer if she does that too.

Glad we can commiserate together! I dont' remember this when I was 10! lol ;) And we won't touch the increased dramatics, crying, mood swings, and other hormonal issues we encounter daily! What a roller coaster ride!:)

My 13 year old went through this several months ago.

After trying out several expensive shampoos, Suave shampoo at 99cents/bottle has done the trick.

My 11 year old son is now going through the same thing and I have not hit upon a shampoo that has done the trick yet.

I make my kids shower everyday/every other day.