Menu

What was that last year of math called--

--ages ago? I went to school in the Northeast.

It followed after Algebra 2. It was usually a half-year course (the other part of the year was called Probability and Statistics).

The first half year course was called (blank) and Trigonometry. Now it is called Pre-Calc but back then (I was in high school in the early 1980's) it was called something else. We used to refer to it as "(blank) and T" or "(blank) and Trig".

It was not called Analytical Geometry. It was another word. Thanks.

Edited by distancia

My classes went in this order: Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Trigonometry, AP Calculus AB, and AP Calulus BC. (Yes, I had six credits of high school math and gladly never took another math class--even in college since my major didn't require it).

I know other kids took classes labeled Pre-Calculus after Trig, and other classes had different names, but I could never quite figure out what order they were supposed to be or how they fit in the full scope of things.

Interesting how different it all is. I think a good lesson for us homeschoolers who worry too much :)

My trig was included at the end of Algebra 2. That was back in, oh, maybe 1973? in Minnesota. Sadly, I quit math after that, but my best guess would be that pre-calc followed.

Julie

Another Trig and Math Analysis here. That was jr or sr year; calc was available for seniors that had been on the honors track. Oh, that was in the mid 80s.

So, OP have you found the title you remember yet? I think it's fun to see how many different names similar classes went by.

In the early '80s in the Pacific Northwest, we had Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry. I don't know what those nuns were thinking when they hired a good-looking, young, male teacher to teach the highest level math class at an all-girls school. That would probably explain why Calculus my freshman year in college was my first academic disaster.:tongue_smilie:

I don't know what those nuns were thinking when they hired a good-looking, young, male teacher to teach the highest level math class at an all-girls school.

They were probably thinking that enrollment would be high!

That would probably explain why Calculus my freshman year in college was my first academic disaster.:tongue_smilie:

Well, the teacher who taught the highest level math at my high school was neither young nor good-looking though he was male. Calculus in my freshman year of college was also a near academic disaster. (At least you had a fun view senior year, swimmermom!)

Regards,

Kareni

I did Algebra II in 10th grade and Trigonometry/Analysis in 11th grade. I opted not to take Calculus in 12th grade because the teacher was a chalk thrower and also tended to erupt into French when upset (and she got upset a lot). I waited until my freshman year in college to take Calc I.

:lol::lol::lol:

Heather

I graduated in 1983, in Maryland.

9th grade- Algebra 1

10th grade- Geometry

11th grade- Alg.2/Trig.

12th grade- 1st semester: Statistics & Probability

2nd semester: Intro. to computers (the first year our school had computers, we learned to program in Basic, and were enthralled).

I graduated in 1988 in Maryland from the same system Cathie did. I took Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Analytic Geometry, AP Calculus, Multivariable Calculus/Differential Equations. Trig and Analytic Geo were each half a credit, as were MVC and DiffEqs.

At my high school in the mid '70's the senior year of math for college bound students was 1 semester of trig followed by a semester of something called Math Analysis. DH's high school offered pre-calc but it covered similar material.

OP here: Checked with my brother-in-law who attended the same school as me, same year 1979, and was in some of my same classes.

The Honors path went like this: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and last year: Half a year was Trig and Pre-Calc, and the second half of the year was Probability and Statistics.

Interesting to see the various course names.

I graduated in 1988 in Maryland from the same system Cathie did. I took Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Analytic Geometry, AP Calculus, Multivariable Calculus/Differential Equations. Trig and Analytic Geo were each half a credit, as were MVC and DiffEqs.

Oh yes - Differential Equations!! That's what it was. Not Discrete Math like I said in my post. This looks very similar to my layout except that Trig was part of the Alg2/Trig class, then Analytical Geo and Differential were each 1/2 credit followed by BC Calc which included MVC.

Heather

That was interesting to see all the course names/progressions. I graduated early 80's and we had 2 tracks.

Honors: Alg I (in 8th grade), Geometry, Alg II, Pre-Calc, Calc

Regular: Alg I, Geometry, Alg II, Trig/Analysis

I was an oddity at my school. I took Alg I in 8th but didn't make the honors cut. So I took Geometry (9th), Alg II (summer school), Trig/Anaysis (10th), Pre-Calc (11th), Calc (12th).

Cinder