Menu

Facebook meme to "raise awareness" about breast cancer

You've found them out! It's even worse than you thought, because they do have a cure, but they just use it for those that they love - only their wives, daughters, sisters and mothers...and daughters-in-laws and good friends and....on THEMSELVES. But they keep it a secret from the rest of the world so they can get rich off of the sufferings of others.

/offsarcasm/

Well, you never know . . . ;)

BUT, I'm not talking about doctors. I'm sure most individual doctors would love to be able to cure their patients of any and every disease they have. I'm talking about hospital administrators, drug companies and others who profit off of our appalling lack of health in this country.

I saw this posted on Facebook the other day...for those easily offended, please don't read!

It said, I see all these "I love boobies" campaigns and I feel sorry for those affected by prostrate cancer, because no one is going to go around saying "I love balls"

LOL!

:lol:

I don't mean to spin this off but it seems there's some knowledgeable people reading this: if you get DNA tested for the BRAC gene and you end up deciding to do a preventative masectomy will insurance usually pay for the masectomy and/or the reconstructive surgery?

Thanks!!!

They paid for mine. I did have stage 0 on the right side, but I chose a double mastectomy since I have BRCA1. I believe previvors' (no cancer but BRCA positive) surgeries are covered by insurance.

It said, I see all these "I love boobies" campaigns and I feel sorry for those affected by prostrate cancer, because no one is going to go around saying "I love balls"

LOL!

Ah, but comedian Tom Green (who had cancer) had a great awareness song that my husband and I still sing together:

"Rub your balls ... squeeze your balls ... so you don't get cancer!"

Jenny

It's frustrating to me, because I know why. Breast cancer is sexy. No one wants to talk about the colon, but there are a million cool and funny ways to talk about breast cancer. Meanwhile it's an ugly disease that KILLs people. Nothing sexy about it.

I'm not trying to diminish the importance of breast cancer awareness, but if the goal were to save as many lives as possible then why isn't anyone raising awareness for colon cancer?????

:iagree:

Yep, or adult onset diabetes/pancreatitis that very nearly killed me, or Lupus that killed my sister in law at 38 (leaving three children behind). Not sexy- not hip.

Breast cancer is sexy. No one wants to talk about the colon, but there are a million cool and funny ways to talk about breast cancer. Meanwhile it's an ugly disease that KILLs people. Nothing sexy about it.

I'm not trying to diminish the importance of breast cancer awareness, but if the goal were to save as many lives as possible then why isn't anyone raising awareness for colon cancer?????

Breasts may be sexy, but breast cancer sureasheck isn't. Surgically removing the body parts that identify a woman as female is the opposite of sexy. Breast cancer marketing kind of skips over that part...

I guess things today now are better than it was in the 60s and 70s, when you couldn't even utter the words "breast cancer." But I'd prefer the pendulum swing back to a more middle ground.

Well, you never know . . . ;)

BUT, I'm not talking about doctors. I'm sure most individual doctors would love to be able to cure their patients of any and every disease they have. I'm talking about hospital administrators, drug companies and others who profit off of our appalling lack of health in this country.

:confused::confused:

Yes that makes so much more sense. Because those people don't have wives, daughters, sisters, mothers, daughters-in-laws, or good friends. And they certainly don't get cancer themselves.

I just want to say 'ditto' to everyone else's complaints about the frivolization (sp?) of breast cancer and any other cause by way of these stupid 'awareness' campaigns. They are demeaning, shallow and stupid. Who the heck is not aware of breast cancer these days? You'd have to live under a rock! It's like the disease du jour! My sister is recovering from breast cancer so I completely am in sympathy with the cause, but find the whole thing such a bad reflection on the way our society has taken advertising to such a ridiculous level. I just heard on the radio about a race to raise awareness for colon cancer. They want everyone to run in their underwear!!!! What???? Then there is the pig out for diabetes awareness campaign. Apparently you go and eat like a pig at some restaurant and part of the proceeds goes to diabetes research or something. My mom was a diabetic. My mil died of colon cancer. I understand the import of this kind of research and yet, I find all this stuff insulting! I am sick of it! Is there no dignity, no non-brainwashing, non-groupthink, non-trivializing way to raise money these days? And I too often wonder at where the money is actually going, since they seem to be spending lots of it at thinking up 'clever' ways to raise our awareness.

Grrr.

IS there REALLY a pig out for diabetes campaign? That is UTTERLY insulting as the last thing a diabetic could ever do it pig out.

:confused::confused:

Yes that makes so much more sense. Because those people don't have wives, daughters, sisters, mothers, daughters-in-laws, or good friends. And they certainly don't get cancer themselves.

I'm more inclined to believe that select doctors couldn't care less about their patients and neglect them, possibly (at times) with the motive of making more money and getting to use newer more exciting treatments with them.

All the same, I trust the breast cancer groups as far as I could throw them. They have become a business, relying on survivors and scarred family members to pay for their staff and vacations.

I couldn't agree more. And with teenage boys going around with the I heart boobies slogans on, I feel like it sends the message that breast cancer is important because boys enjoy "boobies", so we should save them for that reason. Nevermind the person they're attached to. It really bothers me actually, and I've been surprised that the campaign has been so widely accepted. That's just me, though.

:iagree: I may get blasted for this, but IMHO "Raising Awareness" is false charity. Give yourself the feeling of having done something useful- which gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling and prevents you from doing something that is ACTUALLY useful.

This? Disgusting. Tactless. Childish. The few people I saw who did this- the conversation in comments went totally sexual- and nothing was ever said about breast cancer. Raising awareness??? Of what???

There's nothing sexy about breast cancer.

Bingo! Boobs are sexy, butts are not. Poo brown month? Who is going to support that?? And colonoscopies are just as important for those at risk of colon cancer, but you never see a "have you had your steel eel lately" status do you. The whole PINK thing just makes me furious. However, I made the mistake of saying so on FB, and got the sad face from a friend who has battled breast cancer. I've had loved ones battle other cancers, why are they not as important? Boobs are sexy; that pretty much sums it up. However, I am happy to see that Prostate cancer is making inroads into the "trendy cancer" scene and getting some publicity. Still, should be all cancers. I'm the grinch for pink month.

:lol: Holy cow, you are funny.

I'm also a "pink" grinch. I would like to see more focus on other forms of cancer. Also, I think many people are more into the popularity of breast cancer awareness than actually care about others.

Disclaimer: I lost a grandmother to breast cancer, I have two aunts and a cousin who have lost one or both breasts, and I have already had a lumpectomy myself (though it turned out benign :001_smile:.) It's not that I don't understand.

I haven't read all the responses, but I do definitely get that there are many forms of cancer that need attention as well. I do have a very sincere question though. If "raising awareness" by wearing a pink ribbon or a pink shirt causes even ONE woman to "feel her boobies" or go get a mammogram, and that woman is found to have breast cancer, isn't it worth it? I get that some people are not actively doing anything in the fight against any kind of cancer. But I don't think that all the measures to raise awareness (not talking about the FB meme here) can be grouped as bad, unnecessary or insincere.

My Mother died from breast cancer last November. She had been fighting it for 8 years and the things she went through should not be trivialized by a slogan or a silly meme on facebook.

I don't think most people need to "think pink" to know that breast cancer is prevalent and a bad thing. When I see displays of products with breast cancer awareness logos or the pink ribbon bumper sticker, it not only brings back painful memories of my Mom's suffering, but makes me wonder how much of that money actually goes to support breast cancer victims. I think a better way to support breast cancer would be to raise money for cancer societies that give needed support and supplies to victims of breast cancer or volunteer with organizations that give women rides to chemo appointments or sit with victims who are too sick to be left alone.

While an "I like it...wherever" may be funny and cute, it does nothing for people suffering from breast cancer.

JMO,

Joy

My Mother died from breast cancer last November. She had been fighting it for 8 years and the things she went through should not be trivialized by a slogan or a silly meme on facebook.

I don't think most people need to "think pink" to know that breast cancer is prevalent and a bad thing. When I see displays of products with breast cancer awareness logos or the pink ribbon bumper sticker, it not only brings back painful memories of my Mom's suffering, but makes me wonder how much of that money actually goes to support breast cancer victims. I think a better way to support breast cancer would be to raise money for cancer societies that give needed support and supplies to victims of breast cancer or volunteer with organizations that give women rides to chemo appointments or sit with victims who are too sick to be left alone.

While an "I like it...wherever" may be funny and cute, it does nothing for people suffering from breast cancer.

JMO,

Joy

:iagree:

I haven't read all the responses, but I do definitely get that there are many forms of cancer that need attention as well. I do have a very sincere question though. If "raising awareness" by wearing a pink ribbon or a pink shirt causes even ONE woman to "feel her boobies" or go get a mammogram, and that woman is found to have breast cancer, isn't it worth it? I get that some people are not actively doing anything in the fight against any kind of cancer. But I don't think that all the measures to raise awareness (not talking about the FB meme here) can be grouped as bad, unnecessary or insincere.

I get that many people's hearts are in the right place. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't like the "I heart boobies" campaign either. It annoys me.There are many other, more appropriate, ways to talk about breast cancer and encourage women to be proactive about their health.

I have yet to see anyone's status begin a dialogue on breast cancer. They have, almost invariably, elicited crass comments.

I just think that, in general, many people replace an actual act of charity with wearing a pink shirt or ribbon.

:iagree: I may get blasted for this, but IMHO "Raising Awareness" is false charity. Give yourself the feeling of having done something useful- which gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling and prevents you from doing something that is ACTUALLY useful.

This? Disgusting. Tactless. Childish. The few people I saw who did this- the conversation in comments went totally sexual- and nothing was ever said about breast cancer. Raising awareness??? Of what???

There's nothing sexy about breast cancer.

No blasting here :iagree:

I agree with many of the sentiments in this thread. I'm 34 and was diagnosed with breast cancer in June. I had a bilateral mastectomy and am currently undergoing chemo. I'm really torn about all the breast cancer awareness hype that's out there this month.

I do love The Scar Project. Getting past the pink ribbons and such this is what breast cancer really looks like.

The SCAR Project is a series of large-scale portraits of young breast cancer survivors shot by fashion photographer David Jay. Primarily an awareness raising campaign, The SCAR Project puts a raw, unflinching face on early onset breast cancer while paying tribute to the courage and spirit of so many brave young women.