Menu

Do you use camps?

JWSJ

Periodicly, we enroll our ds6 into week long daytime camps at the local museums. Since we HS we can enroll for any camps geared toward PS kids (regular or year round). We've never had any issues and find it gives our son a "vacation" for a week while still being educational. The week long format gives him an extended amount of time to complete his camp project(s).

Do others do this as well?

If so, ever have any issues?

Thanks

I love summer camps because it gives the both of us a break. I have an only child. He is very athletic and has loved the sports camps at the YMCA. They are only half day. He prefers half day to entire day. We have never considered overnight camp.

I have found that some camps, even "educational" ones, can be set up more for babysitting than teaching. Frankly, I can get Bill Nye and Magic School Bus videos at the library. I don't need to pay $$$ for that kind of science camp. So, I tend to investigate thoroughly.

Sue

Are they overnight camps? How does your 6yo do with that? I don't think my 6yo is ready for overnights.

No, just half or full daytime camps. He has only been on sleep overs at family friend's houses for a night. Overnight camps would be too much.

My kids are still young, so we just do the local daycamps offered by a place that does gymnastics, sports skills and Kindermusik classes. They're not super educational, but they do work on motor skills in fun ways. Most importantly for me, the kids get a chance to spend a lot of time with other kids. Since lots of hsers go to the camps, we usually know at least a couple of the families.

We also do summer camp at the local Montessori school. This is educational and gives the kids the chance to do school without being overwhelming. They do 8 weeks of half days and they really love it.

We are considering some summer day camps for our 6 y/o this summer and what I have done to decide *who* to go through is visit in the summer while camps are going on to see what they are doing. Then I can kinda see if they are doing the 'learning' advertised or just sitting around.

I would think calling the person in charge of the program and asking very direct questions would help you decide too on the right program.

Good luck and hope it's fun!

Our friends run a Christian camp that we have sent our son to from the time he was 7-12.

He's too old now, but will return as a counselor in training next year.

Meanwhile, my 12 y.o.dd went last year and will go this year with her 9 y.o. sis.

They weren't ready to go any younger because it is a sleepover camp.

The older two have each come back on a spiritual mountain from their week there, and I can't wait for them to go again.

I was always hesitant to send my kids to camp because of stories I'd heard, but it's been a wonderful experience for us.

I have used educational/creative camps from museums/invention camps in the past. But my method the last couple of summers has been to take the money and just use it to do great things with my kids throughout the summer. We just tour the area we live in, hang out at the beach- I buy memberships to all of the museums in Boston (then I can use it year round) , I have 4 kids and the camps seem to tie us down. I do send them to their individual sports camp or a one week church camp that builds their faith.

This coming summer, for example, we will probably do a music camp (Suzuki Violin Institute), art camp (locally), science camp (tissue engineering day camp), and a three week residential camp for my oldest (CTY). They are fun, and good experiences for us-- now that our kids are ages 11 and 13...

We haven't done a "regular" camp, but several moms in our homeschool groups have started doing half-day weeklong "camps" for a specific subject at their house for other homeschoolers. One mom did a chemistry camp. They are free, we just invite each other as a quid pro quo. Works pretty well. I'll do a Greek camp this summer :-)

Mostly, I'm just too cheap. For $50-$80, I can set up a fun camp for MY kids, lol.

our zoo does wonderful day camps for kids starting at age 5. they can be pricey but they are wonderful. They focus on a theme - like camouflage or a biome like boreal forest and get behind the scenes tours of the zoo. They to arts and crafts, have stories and get to participate in animal enrichment. It is wonderful and very worthwhile.

There are many bad babysitting type camps geared toward taking care of public school kids, but there are some good opportunities in there too.

We haven't done a "regular" camp, but several moms in our homeschool groups have started doing half-day weeklong "camps" for a specific subject at their house for other homeschoolers. One mom did a chemistry camp. They are free, we just invite each other as a quid pro quo. Works pretty well. I'll do a Greek camp this summer :-)

Mostly, I'm just too cheap. For $50-$80, I can set up a fun camp for MY kids, lol.

This is what we've ended up doing too! In fact I had to check your location to make sure you weren't someone I knew (LOL) -- I did a chemistry camp last summer!

The way we've arranged it so far is that one mom will host, one will teach, one will supply some materials, one will bring snacks, etc. So it all kind of evens out. I usually volunteer to teach because I enjoy it and because it always ends up being something I wouldn't have done on my own because I wouldn't want to spend all that on materials... but shared with another mom (or volunteered by someone who would rather supply than take on the teaching!) we all feel like we're getting more than we're giving. ;)

I'm plotting a partly-overnight camp actually... I hadn't really thought about it before, but DS is a tiny bit too young for a regular sleepaway camp without us, but would probably love to go camping with his friends and a few of their parents. And I signed myself up for a workshop for teachers to learn about marine biology which would be super SUPER cool as a beach camping weekend! We could spend four days preparing and then the weekend camping at the beach and using what we learned!

Yes, but we don't have any around here that are for public/private schoolers and held during the day, during school time. The only ones we have are evenings, weekends, days when schools are out for break or holidays, and during the summer. I do use these during these periods of time and have for years as a way to make them feel that they're getting a special treat (while still doing school on the sly, LOL). We've always had great success with them, whatever the topic.....

Regena

Wow Erica!! methinks we need a yahoogroup for moms who wanna do a similar round-robin of camps :-)

We're planning some sort of camp-out thing too when it gets warmer --I'm a weather wimp! I have a huge backyard, fire circle w/ tree stumps to sit on, totally awesome creek w/ tons of dead brush and tall exposed rock sides --I'm thinking a wilderness survival / geology kinda thing.

i like the beach marine biology idea --i might come to that one, lol.